Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Public Speaking 16:55 - Feb 9 with 4961 viewsSgorioFruit

Today,
there I was sat in a conference room of our headquarters in Cardiff. Around 30 other professional people, more like exec's than anything all sat listening to one person give a presentation.
At these event s I try stay in the shadows and not be noticed, but this time I was asked to stand and say a piece.
Well everything went to rat shit,
I was in a room full of people ive never met, and my legs wobbled, voice started to squeak, then that terrible feeling when you know your face has gone as red as a tomato.
And of course, EVERYONE is sat watching and waiting to hear this garbled jumbled crap that is trying to come out of my mouth.
I couldn't string a sentence together, there were plenty of umms, eerrsss, oookkkkss, but no intelligible speech.

So my question to other members here, do any of you suffer from this lack of confidence when talking to a group at work.
And please someone tell me of their bad experiences so I don't feel alone in this dark horrible professional world, where you have to speak to get noticed.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Public Speaking on 16:57 - Feb 9 with 2306 viewsDarran

You should have told them you were having a laugh you'd have had them rolling in the aisles ........ not!

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Public Speaking on 17:00 - Feb 9 with 2303 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Have you ever received training in public speaking etc.?

Like anything, most people aren't 'natural' unless it's a topic they're completely comfortable with, done their research, know what they're going to say etc.

Maybe your company can find you a course on Presentation Skills? There are online courses too.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Public Speaking on 17:22 - Feb 9 with 2261 viewsepaul

Spoke many a time a National Conference (PCS Union) don't bother me, but still is a bit nerve wracking

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Public Speaking on 17:33 - Feb 9 with 2241 viewsmonmouth

Can't understand people that get nervous. Centre of attention, chance to show off, everyone has to listen, what's not to love?

I luvs it so much I do it as a retirement job. Fruit mun, get a backbone. Hope that helps.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Public Speaking on 17:49 - Feb 9 with 2214 viewsunion_jack

Public Speaking on 17:00 - Feb 9 by NeiltheTaylor

Have you ever received training in public speaking etc.?

Like anything, most people aren't 'natural' unless it's a topic they're completely comfortable with, done their research, know what they're going to say etc.

Maybe your company can find you a course on Presentation Skills? There are online courses too.

Well yes.

And no!

I had to give a presentation to the CBI about something I'd been instrumental in putting together. I knew the subject matter better than anyone.

Anyway, it was a warm day and the sun was coming through large glass windows. It wasn't a PP presentation but I had cue cards just to make sure I got everything across.

I started off well, having done many presentations. But the heat was on, literally and I got to the part where I was about to tell them the name if this new product. Something, I repeat, I knew as well as my own name. But could I remember it??!! Just before getting to that part, I was acutely aware if my own voice. I could hear it but I was divorced from it. A very surreal experience.

I froze. I looked at my cue cards while sweat exited every pore in my body. They were in my hand writing but they may as well been in Sanskrit because it was ink on paper. Nothing made sense.

I looked at everyone and they just stared back at me. This went on for 20 a 40 seconds which was a lifetime in such circumstances.

A couple if things raced through my mind. Should I faint? That would get me out if it. Or should I run off to the toilet pretending I was ill! Or should I get myself together and get back on focus. Luckily it was the latter and I raced to the end just to get off.

I was 'lucky' in that I had another presentation to make the next day which I was absolutely dreading. But it was similar to getting straight back on the bike after falling off.

I don't work now so don't have to do these but all subsequent ones were always laced with fear of that experience raising its head again.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Public Speaking on 17:56 - Feb 9 with 2196 viewsmonmouth

Public Speaking on 17:49 - Feb 9 by union_jack

Well yes.

And no!

I had to give a presentation to the CBI about something I'd been instrumental in putting together. I knew the subject matter better than anyone.

Anyway, it was a warm day and the sun was coming through large glass windows. It wasn't a PP presentation but I had cue cards just to make sure I got everything across.

I started off well, having done many presentations. But the heat was on, literally and I got to the part where I was about to tell them the name if this new product. Something, I repeat, I knew as well as my own name. But could I remember it??!! Just before getting to that part, I was acutely aware if my own voice. I could hear it but I was divorced from it. A very surreal experience.

I froze. I looked at my cue cards while sweat exited every pore in my body. They were in my hand writing but they may as well been in Sanskrit because it was ink on paper. Nothing made sense.

I looked at everyone and they just stared back at me. This went on for 20 a 40 seconds which was a lifetime in such circumstances.

A couple if things raced through my mind. Should I faint? That would get me out if it. Or should I run off to the toilet pretending I was ill! Or should I get myself together and get back on focus. Luckily it was the latter and I raced to the end just to get off.

I was 'lucky' in that I had another presentation to make the next day which I was absolutely dreading. But it was similar to getting straight back on the bike after falling off.

I don't work now so don't have to do these but all subsequent ones were always laced with fear of that experience raising its head again.

More seriously than my previous post; that can happen to anyone. As soon as your brain stops concentrating on the audience and starts concentrating on yourself, that's a bastard. Everyone has their war wounds...you need a skin like a concrete elephant, but I find the adrenaline rush electrifying. I genuinely love the fear.

Public Speaking on 18:05 - Feb 9 with 2172 viewsWhiterockin

Public Speaking on 17:56 - Feb 9 by monmouth

More seriously than my previous post; that can happen to anyone. As soon as your brain stops concentrating on the audience and starts concentrating on yourself, that's a bastard. Everyone has their war wounds...you need a skin like a concrete elephant, but I find the adrenaline rush electrifying. I genuinely love the fear.

As soon as you can hear yourself talking, you are fecked.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Public Speaking on 18:05 - Feb 9 with 2172 viewsblobby2

Don't sweat it, look at one person and talk to them for a minute, then look at someone else and talk to them, takes away the feeling that you are in a hole talking to thousands.
I've spoken from the rostrum at the TUC conference so I know this helps.
Also try to prepare in advance, know what you want to say and don't rush it!
Try to anticipate any questions that will be asked after your presentation so that you will have answers ready.
It gets easier the more you do it, just remember that others have been in the same situation and will cut you some slack.

on the north bank in 64 currently in 2 seats in the upper east and proudly supporting Wales ONLY premier league team. Prosser is a twonk!

Login to get fewer ads

Public Speaking on 18:05 - Feb 9 with 2172 viewslibertine

absolute nightmare

I hate public blundering, its awful

recently

I had to attend a meeting of loads of professional people the Mayor chief executive and other prominent people were in attendance, I was told that if there were any questions for the chair then I should type them out and give them to the lady at the door, so I typed my question out printed it out and gave it to the lady at the door of the event.

Like yourself I knew nobody in the event so I was feeling twitchy as they were all in their little clique's and I had to try and introduce myself into groups of people who were not interested in what I had to say.

So after trying for 15 minutes or so I sat down and enjoyed a beverage.

Soon after the chief executive came into the centre and started to speak, I was expecting to simply have my answer answered whilst remaining anonymous in the audience.

But to my horror, the chief executive said on microphone "there is a gentleman in the audience called ""name"" who has a question for us,

surely he could not mean me???? and the lady at the door pointed me out .

Oh no I thought I can't remember what the hell I had written down, so I stammered to the chief can I have the letter I wrote to you as I've completely forgotten what I wrote down , everyone laughed at my comedic excellence but I had to say no really I've got a bad memory.

So he got the letter from the lady at the door and it was passed back to me through the audience, I started by clearing my throat and looked down at the letter and started to bumble my way through the letter as I was desperately trying to read through the letter my vision started to go weird and the letter went in and out of focus, I had new special contact lenses in and they were moving around in one of my eyes,

I should have simply asked the nervy guy sitting next to me to read it, but instead I stammered and twitched my head in the vain attempt to move the contact lenses which was obviously not going to happen

I must have looked like a complete lunatic red faced stammering and twitching my head.

what a nightmare

still what great entertainment for those arrogant big heads who enjoy public speaking
Public Speaking on 18:11 - Feb 9 with 2158 viewsjackonicko

Anyone that says they don't get nervous before big public speaking events is either a liar, or monmouth ;)

If you speak to famous TV presenters, pop stars etc, most of them say they get incredibly nervous - even physically sick - before a performance. It's actually quite healthy - the nerves get the adrenaline pumping and usually means you do better.

I do agree with monmouth though, i do quite a bit of public speaking and I love the opportunity to show off! Like all things, though, you do get better with practice. My biggest event so far was 850 people; of course I was nervous beforehand, but past experience meant I knew I'd be fine once I got going.
Public Speaking on 18:12 - Feb 9 with 2154 viewsmonmouth

Thing is lib, everyone's been there too. I can guarantee no one was laughing at you and everyone was wishing you well. EVERYBODY knows how hard it is and wants you to succeed, and 99% of people are simply glad they're not in your place. I hated it when I started doing it, and I probably still might if I thought the outcome was really important to me.

Public Speaking on 18:14 - Feb 9 with 2149 viewsmonmouth

Public Speaking on 18:11 - Feb 9 by jackonicko

Anyone that says they don't get nervous before big public speaking events is either a liar, or monmouth ;)

If you speak to famous TV presenters, pop stars etc, most of them say they get incredibly nervous - even physically sick - before a performance. It's actually quite healthy - the nerves get the adrenaline pumping and usually means you do better.

I do agree with monmouth though, i do quite a bit of public speaking and I love the opportunity to show off! Like all things, though, you do get better with practice. My biggest event so far was 850 people; of course I was nervous beforehand, but past experience meant I knew I'd be fine once I got going.

I didn't say I didn't get nervous, I said I enjoy the fear. I still sh1t bricks and will be doing so as early as tomorrow as I am lecturing on something I only partially grasp at 10. So the crapper is booked for 9am

edit oh yeah I see, my first post did say I don't understand folk that get nervous. That was just meant to prod old Scorio onto the window ledge. I'm sick of him having a laugh.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2015 18:21]

Public Speaking on 18:16 - Feb 9 with 2145 viewssixpenses

Public Speaking on 18:05 - Feb 9 by libertine

absolute nightmare

I hate public blundering, its awful

recently

I had to attend a meeting of loads of professional people the Mayor chief executive and other prominent people were in attendance, I was told that if there were any questions for the chair then I should type them out and give them to the lady at the door, so I typed my question out printed it out and gave it to the lady at the door of the event.

Like yourself I knew nobody in the event so I was feeling twitchy as they were all in their little clique's and I had to try and introduce myself into groups of people who were not interested in what I had to say.

So after trying for 15 minutes or so I sat down and enjoyed a beverage.

Soon after the chief executive came into the centre and started to speak, I was expecting to simply have my answer answered whilst remaining anonymous in the audience.

But to my horror, the chief executive said on microphone "there is a gentleman in the audience called ""name"" who has a question for us,

surely he could not mean me???? and the lady at the door pointed me out .

Oh no I thought I can't remember what the hell I had written down, so I stammered to the chief can I have the letter I wrote to you as I've completely forgotten what I wrote down , everyone laughed at my comedic excellence but I had to say no really I've got a bad memory.

So he got the letter from the lady at the door and it was passed back to me through the audience, I started by clearing my throat and looked down at the letter and started to bumble my way through the letter as I was desperately trying to read through the letter my vision started to go weird and the letter went in and out of focus, I had new special contact lenses in and they were moving around in one of my eyes,

I should have simply asked the nervy guy sitting next to me to read it, but instead I stammered and twitched my head in the vain attempt to move the contact lenses which was obviously not going to happen

I must have looked like a complete lunatic red faced stammering and twitching my head.

what a nightmare

still what great entertainment for those arrogant big heads who enjoy public speaking

Great story
Public Speaking on 18:21 - Feb 9 with 2125 viewsClinton

I'm not a naural at this stuff, but sometimes have to do it.
Some tips.
1 prepare your stuff well in advance, if possible. I realise there's always a last minute rush, or at
Least there is withe the stuff I do, but preparation is everything.
2 present it at home the night before to anyone who will listen, even the dog.
3 if the dog won't even listen to you, take a sicky.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Public Speaking on 18:23 - Feb 9 with 2113 viewsmonmouth

Public Speaking on 18:21 - Feb 9 by Clinton

I'm not a naural at this stuff, but sometimes have to do it.
Some tips.
1 prepare your stuff well in advance, if possible. I realise there's always a last minute rush, or at
Least there is withe the stuff I do, but preparation is everything.
2 present it at home the night before to anyone who will listen, even the dog.
3 if the dog won't even listen to you, take a sicky.

Does your dog know anything about advanced applications of the CAPM? If so, can I borrow him?

Public Speaking on 18:29 - Feb 9 with 2093 viewssixpenses

Sympathies but don't worry Harpo Marks managed fine without it

Think they will all understand as a common problem and at the end of the day hopefully no one died even if you wish you had

Perhaps easier to contribute more in conversational type meetings where you can really build your confidence up without all eyes on you waiting to do your piece

Prepare and try and get some personal passion into it helps. Also lots of help available on line including methods to control nerves. Sometimes helps to think of ways to involve the audience early on with introductory questions. Eases that jumping over the edge of a cliff start. If I feel a speaker is uncomfortable I often try to interject to try and lighten the mood and ease the attention off them a little. Although this can also throw them. Handouts can take take the focused attention away from you, as presentations in a dark room, practical demos when appropriate or even fancy dress. PRJ could expand on the latter as more his field of expertise

Point is your body is preparing you for flight or fight and you just have to stand there and talk with your leaden lips. Some in the media dig their nails into their hands to detract from the fear.

No horror stories but have felt your pain and shared some of the out of body experience described here. It is your body draining all your energy to your legs so you can run. At the end of the day people are generally more interested in their own part so unless you stood up wet yourself and were totally unable to speak most of them would not think twice about it. Even if you did what a great story.

Relax it is over til next time and the relief is directly proportional to the terror so something to look forward to when you are next dying on your feet.

One thing I also find is I think why would someone want to listen to this from me it is obvious, then I remember some of the total crap and SBO delivered with all the pomposity and confidence of Moses delivering the tablets (if he did and no this is not a pharmaceutical homily). Perhaps it was Monmouth.
Public Speaking on 18:32 - Feb 9 with 2081 viewsdickythorpe

Experience it is. Just remember you can never speak too slowly. Don't rush.

Eye contact is everything.

Preparation but not over rehearse.

Have a " feck em" attitude......they are here to listen to you so enjoy it, you've nothing to lose.

If you make a mistake, confidently say " I'm sorry" and start the last sentence again, no one will mind as they will want to hear you.

If all else fails just imagine the audience naked.
Public Speaking on 18:34 - Feb 9 with 2078 viewsjackonicko

Public Speaking on 18:23 - Feb 9 by monmouth

Does your dog know anything about advanced applications of the CAPM? If so, can I borrow him?

As my dog once asked me, once the US got downgraded from AAA status, what is the alternative to using T-bills for measuring risk free return under CAPM?

Dog didn't know the answer though.
Public Speaking on 18:35 - Feb 9 with 2074 viewsDr_Winston

I've done presentations in front of 60+ staff and a room full of senior management without too much trouble. Never done any training but have done pub quizzes often enough to not have too much fear of talking to crowds.

As with most things, the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Public Speaking on 18:38 - Feb 9 with 2066 viewssixpenses

Public Speaking on 18:34 - Feb 9 by jackonicko

As my dog once asked me, once the US got downgraded from AAA status, what is the alternative to using T-bills for measuring risk free return under CAPM?

Dog didn't know the answer though.

Bet Shaky does
Public Speaking on 18:43 - Feb 9 with 2057 viewsjackonicko

Public Speaking on 18:38 - Feb 9 by sixpenses

Bet Shaky does

Ha. I just mentioned him in another thread at the same time.

Big Swans Fan. RIP.
Public Speaking on 18:44 - Feb 9 with 2056 viewsClinton

Public Speaking on 18:23 - Feb 9 by monmouth

He can't accept the assumption of a theoretical risk-free asset. Just licks his nuts if you start to mention it.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Public Speaking on 18:50 - Feb 9 with 2044 viewslibertine

Public Speaking on 18:32 - Feb 9 by dickythorpe

Experience it is. Just remember you can never speak too slowly. Don't rush.

Eye contact is everything.

Preparation but not over rehearse.

Have a " feck em" attitude......they are here to listen to you so enjoy it, you've nothing to lose.

If you make a mistake, confidently say " I'm sorry" and start the last sentence again, no one will mind as they will want to hear you.

If all else fails just imagine the audience naked.

I've heard this idea of imagining the audience naked before,

but I don't really think that standing giving a speech to some nurses whilst sporting an erection would help,
it could only make things more embarrassing.
Public Speaking on 18:57 - Feb 9 with 2031 viewssixpenses

Public Speaking on 18:50 - Feb 9 by libertine

I've heard this idea of imagining the audience naked before,

but I don't really think that standing giving a speech to some nurses whilst sporting an erection would help,
it could only make things more embarrassing.

If it was an Architects meeting you could pass off your massive erection as supporting media
Public Speaking on 19:32 - Feb 9 with 1976 viewsbluenile

I was always on the committee of local Neath league football clubs from my early 20's on, and I used to hate the Annual General Meetings 'cos I would have to give the "Secretary's report". I was naturally shy as a teenager, and it carried through, it took me all of 10 years to realise that maybe I should relax. I suddenly recognised that other people also become nervous and for some reason it became easier. The guy earlier who mentioned about listeners cutting you some slack is perfectly correct. No one likes to watch someone fail at it, even if it's just because they wouldn't want to do it themselves. A study was done many years ago that said that after the fear of death, the next largest fear was public speaking....................unless of course, you're Monmouth. And the least said about that the better.

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024