Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alternative medicine 19:21 - Mar 3 with 3657 viewsPacemaker

I appreciate that when diagnosed with a horrible disease like Cancer then any straw will be clenched at, but those people who sell their alternative products or services without any evidence to back up their claims appear to be misguided at the very least.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/03/what-do-doctors-say-to-alte

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Alternative medicine on 21:36 - Mar 3 with 2657 viewsphact0rri

*shrugs* most alternative medicine has been in use much longer than pharmaceuticals. The biggest issue is that they can't push studies the way big Pham can.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Alternative medicine on 21:54 - Mar 3 with 2637 viewsWarwickHunt

Alternative medicine on 21:36 - Mar 3 by phact0rri

*shrugs* most alternative medicine has been in use much longer than pharmaceuticals. The biggest issue is that they can't push studies the way big Pham can.

Utter guff. None of it stands up to double blind testing.

The homeopathic business is worth billions - amazing when you consider it's f*cking water.

Read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre and/or Trick or Treatment by SImon Singh & Edzard Ernst for rigorous scientific investigation and debunking of this tosh.

As the man said, when alternative medicine works it becomes... "medicine."
Alternative medicine on 22:19 - Mar 3 with 2617 viewsSwanzay

Alternative medicine on 21:54 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

The homeopathic business is worth billions - amazing when you consider it's f*cking water.

Read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre and/or Trick or Treatment by SImon Singh & Edzard Ernst for rigorous scientific investigation and debunking of this tosh.

What a crass statement to make, alot of 'Alternative medicines ' (a name derived in order to encourage folk to use GSK and alike products and avoid natural). Plenty are natural but dont make ££££££ for the likes of GSK etc, or help subsidise political parties.
EG tea tree oil is a wonderful natural product that is a wonderful 'alternative medicine' that doesn't cost anything like an alternative from a major pharmaceutical.
Alternative medicine on 22:20 - Mar 3 with 2615 viewsLeonisGod

Agreed. Although even just as a placebo effect, in some cases it 'works' for some people. So as long as it causes no harm I don't see the problem. Bottled water is a massive industry on its own after all and we're stupid enough to buy that.
Alternative medicine on 22:22 - Mar 3 with 2612 viewsazjack

A doctor friend I once knew told me that at the graduation address, the dean mentioned that they couldn't be completely sure about 50% of the stuff they had taught. There was a hush and the hall burst into laughter as he added, "the problem is we don't know which 50% that is".
Years later that same doctor confided that there was more truth in that statement than he originally thought.
Alternative medicine on 22:26 - Mar 3 with 2607 viewsSwanzay

No doubt many pharmaceutical company products are placebo derived, just they dont advertise it.
Alternative medicine on 22:27 - Mar 3 with 2603 viewsPacemaker

Alternative medicine on 22:20 - Mar 3 by LeonisGod

Agreed. Although even just as a placebo effect, in some cases it 'works' for some people. So as long as it causes no harm I don't see the problem. Bottled water is a massive industry on its own after all and we're stupid enough to buy that.

If they decide to refuse "conventional " medicine because they believe that in effect coloured water will heal them, then it could be doing them real harm.

The majority of stuff is probably no more than placebo but some is potentially dangerous in itself.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Alternative medicine on 22:34 - Mar 3 with 2588 viewsSwanzay

I listened to this the other day, interesting:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b052j0ty

Also to highlight placebos on 'non alternative' medicine, thats just the 'honest' quacks!
Login to get fewer ads

Alternative medicine on 22:36 - Mar 3 with 2585 viewsphact0rri

You all must be thinking of things outside of the norm. Like Snake oil, specifically. But I was raised on Traditional remedies, and everytime I have a cold I'd rather have a cuppa ginger tea than cold medicines that don't work... as an example.

Alternative medicine on 23:05 - Mar 3 with 2556 viewsjackb

Spot on!

alternative medicine - treatments never shown to be reliably effective but everyone knows 'someone' they cured.
Alternative medicine on 23:09 - Mar 3 with 2550 viewsjackb

Alternative medicine on 22:26 - Mar 3 by Swanzay

No doubt many pharmaceutical company products are placebo derived, just they dont advertise it.

Undoubtedly, because they wouldn't have to falsify all the scientific research and facts and studies behind such drugs would they.

To borrow an earlier statement, what guff!
Alternative medicine on 23:32 - Mar 3 with 2527 viewsWarwickHunt

Alternative medicine on 22:19 - Mar 3 by Swanzay

What a crass statement to make, alot of 'Alternative medicines ' (a name derived in order to encourage folk to use GSK and alike products and avoid natural). Plenty are natural but dont make ££££££ for the likes of GSK etc, or help subsidise political parties.
EG tea tree oil is a wonderful natural product that is a wonderful 'alternative medicine' that doesn't cost anything like an alternative from a major pharmaceutical.

Tea tree oil has natural antibacterial properties. Bit of stretch to call it alternative medicine - especially as it's usually much more expensive than the big pharmaceutical err...alternatives.
Alternative medicine on 23:36 - Mar 3 with 2522 viewsWarwickHunt

Alternative medicine on 23:09 - Mar 3 by jackb

Undoubtedly, because they wouldn't have to falsify all the scientific research and facts and studies behind such drugs would they.

To borrow an earlier statement, what guff!

Innit.

What a f*cking moron.
Alternative medicine on 00:40 - Mar 4 with 2491 viewsphact0rri

Alternative medicine on 23:32 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Tea tree oil has natural antibacterial properties. Bit of stretch to call it alternative medicine - especially as it's usually much more expensive than the big pharmaceutical err...alternatives.

What does price have to do with "alternative medicines"? I'm pretty sure its an alternative to another medicine. Now can we get some examples of these "placebo" Alternatives everyone is on about?

Alternative medicine on 00:53 - Mar 4 with 2485 viewsWarwickHunt

Alternative medicine on 00:40 - Mar 4 by phact0rri

What does price have to do with "alternative medicines"? I'm pretty sure its an alternative to another medicine. Now can we get some examples of these "placebo" Alternatives everyone is on about?

Price was mentioned earlier by one of our resident conspiracy theorists.

You need placebo examples? Really?
[Post edited 4 Mar 2015 0:55]
Alternative medicine on 09:16 - Mar 4 with 2432 viewsProfessor

I'm fully with Warwick on this.

Yes, of course there are lot's of natural products that have effects-the old science of pharmacognosy-plant-derived pharmaceuticals attests to this and includes morphine, the original contraceptive pill, older anti-malarials to name but a few. Tea tree oil works as it contains lot's of terpenes-a known antiseptic agent also found in Manuka Honey. Antibiotics are originally natural products of fungi and bacteria used to eliminate competitors. Echinacea stimulates the immune system (and as a consequence can increase leukaemia risks).

Acupuncture has some evidence. Everything else is just mumbo jumbo. Sadly people would rather beehive this as they are convinced that pharma are corrupt etc.

FYI I receive no income from industry
Alternative medicine on 10:11 - Mar 4 with 2414 viewsjackb

Alternative medicine on 09:16 - Mar 4 by Professor

I'm fully with Warwick on this.

Yes, of course there are lot's of natural products that have effects-the old science of pharmacognosy-plant-derived pharmaceuticals attests to this and includes morphine, the original contraceptive pill, older anti-malarials to name but a few. Tea tree oil works as it contains lot's of terpenes-a known antiseptic agent also found in Manuka Honey. Antibiotics are originally natural products of fungi and bacteria used to eliminate competitors. Echinacea stimulates the immune system (and as a consequence can increase leukaemia risks).

Acupuncture has some evidence. Everything else is just mumbo jumbo. Sadly people would rather beehive this as they are convinced that pharma are corrupt etc.

FYI I receive no income from industry

acupuncture - not according to this

http://www.dcscience.net/2013/05/30/acupuncture-is-a-theatrical-placebo-the-end-
Alternative medicine on 10:17 - Mar 4 with 2409 viewsProfessor

Alternative medicine on 10:11 - Mar 4 by jackb

acupuncture - not according to this

http://www.dcscience.net/2013/05/30/acupuncture-is-a-theatrical-placebo-the-end-

Some evidence is not unequivocal. Hence there is dispute over its efficacy. Personally I would not use it. It at least does no harm Homeopathy is. however, putting lives at risk
Alternative medicine on 10:39 - Mar 4 with 2398 viewsjackonicko

Alternative medicine on 23:32 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Indeed. Aspirin's main ingredient comes from the bark of a tree, I think?

No one calls that alternative medicine. As aspirin has been proved to work it gets the more traditional name of medicine.

All sorts of effective, natural medicines out there. Like alcohol.
Alternative medicine on 13:14 - Mar 4 with 2356 viewsmax936

Slightly off subject but still medical all be it animal related, took my dobe to vet last night as he seems to be suffering from arthritis and its causing him quite a lot of pain, so vet prescribed Metcam, but that can cause liver disease, so what do you do give him that or look for herbal remidies which lm told can work, it seems very strange in giving him treatment to help with one ailment but one that can cause a more serious ailment.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Alternative medicine on 13:29 - Mar 4 with 2352 viewsdickythorpe

Human pooh is supposedly good for ailments
Alternative medicine on 15:23 - Mar 4 with 2323 viewsProfessor

Alternative medicine on 13:14 - Mar 4 by max936

Slightly off subject but still medical all be it animal related, took my dobe to vet last night as he seems to be suffering from arthritis and its causing him quite a lot of pain, so vet prescribed Metcam, but that can cause liver disease, so what do you do give him that or look for herbal remidies which lm told can work, it seems very strange in giving him treatment to help with one ailment but one that can cause a more serious ailment.

Max

It will be an increased risk of liver disease rather than a direct cause. It may be statistically/epidemiologically relevant but often it means that instead of a 1 in 20000 chance it becomes a 1 in 10000 chance. It depends entirely on the dog's quality of life. Doberman's tend to have relatively short life anyway (compared to a Jack Russell) so think on that basis
Alternative medicine on 15:32 - Mar 4 with 2314 viewsacejack3065

"Alternative medicine has either not been proved to work or been proved not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine!"

Tim Minchin

I've got another one!

I once knew a depressed homeopathist. He tried killing himself with a fatal underdose.
Alternative medicine on 15:34 - Mar 4 with 2313 viewsmax936

Alternative medicine on 15:23 - Mar 4 by Professor

Max

It will be an increased risk of liver disease rather than a direct cause. It may be statistically/epidemiologically relevant but often it means that instead of a 1 in 20000 chance it becomes a 1 in 10000 chance. It depends entirely on the dog's quality of life. Doberman's tend to have relatively short life anyway (compared to a Jack Russell) so think on that basis

Yeah l appreciate that, its just a friend had told me previously about Metcam and that it affected his dog after 2 or 3 yrs, maxy is 10,1/2 now so as you say it probably won't affect him, as my oyher dobes never reached his age now, but we hope he's got s while yet as apart from the arthritis he's in top notch nick.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Alternative medicine on 15:37 - Mar 4 with 2307 viewsCountyJim

Someone on here cant remember gave a tip about stopping a cough and cold etc using Turmeric and Honey tell you what it works a treat

Who ever it was sorry cant remember but thank you
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024