Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread 20:33 - Apr 7 with 83560 viewsexiledclaseboy

About time we had one and it's got the word "official" in the title so that makes all the difference. If a mod wants to sticky it, feel free.

I seem to remember that five years ago (on the old, better Planet Swans) we got to nearly 100 pages and then another 60odd with the "aftermath" thread. They were good fun but there were more posters then and we were all a bit more tolerant of others' views. Let's try to be nice to each other, eh.

Anyway, best site for opinion polls is this one in my experience:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Polls are so tight the only conclusion is that the Tories and Labour are head to head nationwide. Can't put a whisker between them.

Tories need about 39-40% for an overall majority. Labour will probably get one on 36-37%. God bless our ridiculous voting system.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll start with a prediction. Labour to win most seats but slightly fewer votes than the Tories and end up forming some kind of minority government with support from various parliamentary lefties on a vote by vote basis. And then all of a sudden many Tory supporters will discover that they've always hated first past the post and can't understand why we perpetuate a system under which the party which more people voted for than any other can lose the election. It'll be quite funny and lead to calls for a proper voting system. Which everyone will forget about in six months when all the fuss has died down.

What say you?

Poll: Tory leader

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:42 - Apr 26 with 2010 viewslibertine

I am a local businessman and I will
be voting for the party that is taking this country
forwards ie the party of wales

the other 3 are all butchers one deep and one wide and one with a chain saw swinging it about psychopathically the end is all the same.

why is it that proper intelligent economists disagree with austerity, there is no money in the country because there is a low wage economy, therefor no tax coming in, ive really dropped in sales over the past few years and had to lay a girl off, that cannot be good for anyone, know the girl is on the dole being hounded by the job centre to apply for jobs that don't exist.

give me a reason for labour not just vote labour ffs, actually that's about the level of intellect of labour voters
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:45 - Apr 26 with 2006 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:42 - Apr 26 by libertine

the other 3 are all butchers one deep and one wide and one with a chain saw swinging it about psychopathically the end is all the same.

why is it that proper intelligent economists disagree with austerity, there is no money in the country because there is a low wage economy, therefor no tax coming in, ive really dropped in sales over the past few years and had to lay a girl off, that cannot be good for anyone, know the girl is on the dole being hounded by the job centre to apply for jobs that don't exist.

give me a reason for labour not just vote labour ffs, actually that's about the level of intellect of labour voters

Aren't you an anarchist? If so, shouldn't you be eschewing the whole process?

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:47 - Apr 26 with 2005 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:34 - Apr 26 by londonlisa2001

You are blaming the wrong people Trampie.

We get our rubbish collected every week here (normal and recycling) and free pick up of all garden waste every week as well.

Also have no issue with street lighting, several public libraries, including a brand spanking new one in Shepherds Bush and a new public swimming pool has just been opened a couple of miles down the road.

Oh, and I have a Labour local authority and less public money per head is spent here than where you are.

And we have policemen walking around (they've been put back onto the streets rather than in cars) - we even have two on horseback that trot past every day (for strange reasons). Have a local post office and a big one not far away and I live next door to a thriving state primary school.

The difference (or one of them) I suspect, is that most of the services I have outlined are provided by the council outsourcing to private companies, not keeping services in house. And we possibly have higher council tax although I don't know. The other difference of course, is that I live in an incredibly highly populated area which has a lot of downsides but the density of population does also have advantages as well.

From what you have said on here, you want to have all the good bits of living somewhere with a far higher quality of life, but also want exactly the same services as I get and to pay no more. In my mind, that's not particularly 'just' either.

One of the things that's always struck me the many, many times I've stayed in London for work is that there are always people out collecting rubbish, seemingly at all hours of the day or not. Nothing to do with the election I know, but I just thought I'd mention it like.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:55 - Apr 26 with 1996 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:47 - Apr 26 by exiledclaseboy

One of the things that's always struck me the many, many times I've stayed in London for work is that there are always people out collecting rubbish, seemingly at all hours of the day or not. Nothing to do with the election I know, but I just thought I'd mention it like.

yes - the business bits are - if you're in Westminster or the City of London (so anywhere in the centre) then collections happen several times a day.

Not in the residential bits though - we are once a week, although we also have street cleaners every day and the main roads get done every day.

London is a pretty clean city for its size.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:57 - Apr 26 with 1993 viewsjacaranda

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:42 - Apr 26 by libertine

The thing about money is it grows if it moves.
We've been at war now for the best part of 15yrs.
Wars are very expensive and funnel huge amounts of money out of the system into the people who run the whole things hands and then to the Caymens or other nice tax havens.
It's estimated that 50% of the worlds sterling is in tax havens, stagnant.
I won't ever vote labour again after they fuct us, the historic labour.
Could there be a tory/Plaid parliament?
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:58 - Apr 26 with 1992 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:55 - Apr 26 by londonlisa2001

yes - the business bits are - if you're in Westminster or the City of London (so anywhere in the centre) then collections happen several times a day.

Not in the residential bits though - we are once a week, although we also have street cleaners every day and the main roads get done every day.

London is a pretty clean city for its size.

I'm pretty much always near Whitehall or the vicinity when I'm up there. Frankly, if it's not on the Circle Line I ain't got a clue.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 21:05 - Apr 26 with 1980 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:57 - Apr 26 by jacaranda

Wars are very expensive and funnel huge amounts of money out of the system into the people who run the whole things hands and then to the Caymens or other nice tax havens.

A Tory/Plaid parliament. What an awesome thought.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 23:40 - Apr 26 with 1921 viewsLord_Bony

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:57 - Apr 26 by jacaranda

Well said mate.

I was once a staunch Labourite. After Tony Blair,never again will I vote for that party.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 08:07 - Apr 27 with 1882 viewsCottsy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:30 - Apr 26 by libertine

as I said I infant fox hunting classes

Boris smirked knowing what everyone thinks of himself a posh tory spoilt tw@ and said he went to the same school as me but you won't here him say that.

in other words i'm a posh tory tw@ and so is he

Yeah I could just see Ralph Milliband sending little David and Ed off fox hunting with Boris and the rest of the prep school fox hunting set.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 09:55 - Apr 27 with 1856 viewsjohnlangy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 20:12 - Apr 26 by trampie

The Conservatives are and have been taking the country backwards at a rate of knots along with their NuLabour friends, its a race to the bottom with those two parties, look after the top 1% at the expense of the 99%, I see figures out recently are showing the rich in the UK are getting richer, much richer, when the amount of people using foodbanks reached a million people last year.

During this parliament the richest 1000 people in the UK have seen their wealth double to £520 billion.

Meanwhile a woman is charged bedroom tax, the bedroom being empty because her son was murdered.

Vote the shower of shit out now.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 10:07 - Apr 27 with 1850 viewsC_jack

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 09:55 - Apr 27 by johnlangy

During this parliament the richest 1000 people in the UK have seen their wealth double to £520 billion.

Meanwhile a woman is charged bedroom tax, the bedroom being empty because her son was murdered.

Rich people will get richer whoever is in government. I love how the most extraneous facts are blamed on conservative governments, especially in regards to wealth.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 10:35 - Apr 27 with 1841 viewsHighjack

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 09:55 - Apr 27 by johnlangy

After reading up about bedroom tax I think its a great idea. Why should the lazy and feckless get to live in nice spacious houses with the state paying for them whilst us hardworking folk have to pay through the ears to afford a basic place of our own he said mischievously?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 11:36 - Apr 27 with 1822 viewsorion3016

Watching miliband on sky news he's promising the earth. The only way he'll pay for it is by bankrupting the country
He's making rash statements that'll never be funded from the governments normal income. Hopefully the electorate has more sense than to vote this weak man in

Be over there now after

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 12:01 - Apr 27 with 1814 viewsepaul

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 12:12 - Apr 27 with 1808 viewsperchrockjack

Can the ordinary family ever become rich.

I ll vote for any party not to use this pitiful piece of crap phrase.

Sadly, cam ,ed ,nige, clogged all do butvive not heard Leanne say it so she might be getting girl for me after all.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 12:29 - Apr 27 with 1797 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 12:01 - Apr 27 by epaul

Might have a little more impact if one of the largest single donors to the Green Party (if not the largest) hadn't moved £2m off shore to pay herself for the use of her own name in order to avoid hundreds of thousands of pounds in tax last year while simultaneously marching against others that had done similar on a smaller scale.

Utter hypocrites.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 12:34 - Apr 27 with 1793 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 08:07 - Apr 27 by Cottsy

Yeah I could just see Ralph Milliband sending little David and Ed off fox hunting with Boris and the rest of the prep school fox hunting set.

Ed went to a state junior school in Leeds.

Boris did not.

Complete nonsense and as you say, shows how little people that think he went to the same schools as Boris know about Ed's background.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 13:18 - Apr 27 with 1775 viewsperchrockjack

Ed no doubt sent by his Marxist dad out of principle then home to their council maisonettes.

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:15 - Apr 27 with 1740 viewsyescomeon

Ed and Boris went to the same primary school. I don't think it means that much to be honest.

Upthecity!

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:31 - Apr 27 with 1733 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:15 - Apr 27 by yescomeon

Ed and Boris went to the same primary school. I don't think it means that much to be honest.

I don't think it means anything at all, but the only overlap was that Boris went to the local primary school in Primrose Hill in London for a short time when he was about 5 or 6.

Hewent to prep school in Ashdown Forest (with David Linley) and Ed went to primary school in Leeds (as I said before) because his father taught at Leeds University and then to the local school in Primrose Hill when they moved back to London.

I don't like Milliband at all but he was state educated so that can't be levelled at him as an accusation. Albeit, that the school is pretty renowned and isn't your average comp.

The fact that Boris went briefly to a state infants school before being educated in Brussels, a very exclusive prep school with one of the royals and Eton is neither here nor there.
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:48 - Apr 27 with 1727 viewsperchrockjack

Lisa.
That is good post.

We ,as a nation, are obsessed with class, ie, schools, universities,job, post code.
We re all guilty .

We need to break out and be free..

I just pray ,when we get back home, nobody calls on our door and goes on about ordinary or working families, although I note working class has been superseded by working family. I ain't being kidded,

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:25 - Apr 27 with 1706 viewsCottsy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:31 - Apr 27 by londonlisa2001

I don't think it means anything at all, but the only overlap was that Boris went to the local primary school in Primrose Hill in London for a short time when he was about 5 or 6.

Hewent to prep school in Ashdown Forest (with David Linley) and Ed went to primary school in Leeds (as I said before) because his father taught at Leeds University and then to the local school in Primrose Hill when they moved back to London.

I don't like Milliband at all but he was state educated so that can't be levelled at him as an accusation. Albeit, that the school is pretty renowned and isn't your average comp.

The fact that Boris went briefly to a state infants school before being educated in Brussels, a very exclusive prep school with one of the royals and Eton is neither here nor there.

Exactly.

There are plenty of sticks you can beat Ed Miliband with, using his father's connections to prominent members of the Labour Party to get ahead being one, but to try and paint him as a toff who would be knocking about with the Etonians at the local hunt (as if the the son of a Marxist, Jewish immigrant would be welcome at a hunt in the 70s) is plainly ridiculous.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:49 - Apr 27 with 1694 viewsyescomeon

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 15:31 - Apr 27 by londonlisa2001

Boris Johnson was making a big deal about it on the Andrew Marr show. However, as you say means very little.

Upthecity!

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:18 - Apr 27 with 1681 viewslondonlisa2001

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 16:49 - Apr 27 by yescomeon

Boris Johnson was making a big deal about it on the Andrew Marr show. However, as you say means very little.

That's because underneath the carefully manufactured buffoonery, Boris is a calculating piece of work who is fiercely ambitious and pretty unpleasant.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2015 17:18]
The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 17:24 - Apr 27 with 1677 viewsjohnlangy

The Official Planet Swans General Election 2015 Thread on 10:07 - Apr 27 by C_jack

Rich people will get richer whoever is in government. I love how the most extraneous facts are blamed on conservative governments, especially in regards to wealth.

Of course they do. Wealth generates more wealth whoever is in government.

Having said that it's perfectly reasonable to point out about how the richest have improved their lot to an immoral level when the mantra of this government has been how we're all, supposedly sharing the burden of their necessary (they argue) austerity policies. I presume that's the extraneous fact you mention.

The bedroom tax isn't. It's a disgusting way of punishing many, many people who, through no fault of their own just happen to have a spare bedroom. And the fact that there are no smaller properties for these people to move to is also hardly their fault. It's the government's fault, both Tory and Labour.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024