Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English / Welsh bilingual signs 20:02 - Apr 26 with 8835 viewsDarran

These two have made me smile everyday for a month.
What a load of shite.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 11:01 - May 3 with 1296 viewslifelong

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:54 - May 3 by Humpty

I've never had a problem with them. Have you considered a bus pass?

He won't like that either, it will have some Welsh language on it.
English / Welsh bilingual signs on 11:44 - May 3 with 1283 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:54 - May 3 by Humpty

I've never had a problem with them. Have you considered a bus pass?

This is the sort of puerile answer I expect from someone who really has no argument!!

If I were alone in my thinking I'd question myself. Alas, I'm not. Nearly everyone I speak to says the same. You seem to be in a (politically backed) minority!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 12:32 - May 3 with 1263 viewsexiledclaseboy

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:51 - May 3 by union_jack

That's rubbish Clasey and you know it. I drive well,have good eyesight but have to take extra time sometimes to differentiate between Welsh and English.God forbid it has not resulted in anything untoward but a split second with eyes taken off the road could be disastrous. A different font would eliminate that (Ireland do it I believe) but the politicians / Welsh activists are so insecure that when they say they want parity they mean it all the way down to the font!!!

And I'm not thick thank you!

I've never once had an issue. I stand by my original statement.

Poll: Tory leader

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 13:19 - May 3 with 1236 viewsKilkennyjack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:27 - May 3 by Humpty

Excellent idea.

Those of us with a brain all know where Abertawe is. And Castell Nedd and Aberafan. And LLanelli. Even far away places like Caerdydd and Lerpwl are not that hard. We may have to learn a few new ones but our brains will cope with little problems like that.

The hard of thinking and hard of driving would be forced off our roads which would make them safer and emptier for those of us who can cope with bilingual signs. Everyone's a winner, Welsh speakers and English speakers who aren't thick.

Whilst the dull may be upset about being unable to drive in Wales anymore, think about how happy they'll be by not having to pay for bilingual road signs. Because they hate paying for them.

Top idea.

Brilliant post

Beware of the Risen People

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 14:16 - May 3 with 1207 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 13:19 - May 3 by Kilkennyjack

Brilliant post

s, of course it is.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 14:16 - May 3 with 1207 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 13:19 - May 3 by Kilkennyjack

Brilliant post

Yes, of course it is.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 15:01 - May 3 with 1192 viewsperchrockjack

Daft, well not this time Leon as its you who are such mainly because you ve not read what ice posted.

What this thread shows is my point that the language divides us.

It shows how insular we are and how we always turn on each other..
And Clarke, say what you believe in this one, come on man.

The language has been the subject but the replies are to people so ffs figure it out

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 17:38 - May 3 with 1157 viewsHighjack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 17:03 - May 2 by Andy1300

Nobody is calling for a ban on welsh speaking

Just don't impose it on those that don't want or need to speak it.

Don't waste money producing everything in duplicate at twice the cost.

If you must have welsh on road signs, then as Union has stated, have a different font thus making the signs easier to read for everyone.

As for answering the bloody phone in both languages well that is just stupid because the rest of the call is usually English.

We can pretty much end the thread with that post.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 19:17 - May 3 with 1134 viewstrampie

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 09:32 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

I have no nationalist leanings of any kind but I've never understood the antipathy some have towards the Welsh language. It's almost as if they feel threatened by it. Also, if you struggle with road signs written in two languages chances are you're a bit thick and you should seriously consider whether you're safe to continue driving.

Yip.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 20:24 - May 3 with 1114 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 12:32 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

I've never once had an issue. I stand by my original statement.

I credited you with more sense and intelligence tbh. Calling people thick because they have to differentiate quickly between a strange language and English is not what I'd expect from you.

There are easy solutions which needn't involve removing the Welsh bit altogether though I would be lying if I said that that wouldn't be my preference.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 21:47 - May 3 with 1089 viewsKilkennyjack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 20:24 - May 3 by union_jack

I credited you with more sense and intelligence tbh. Calling people thick because they have to differentiate quickly between a strange language and English is not what I'd expect from you.

There are easy solutions which needn't involve removing the Welsh bit altogether though I would be lying if I said that that wouldn't be my preference.

Its never going to happen. 😄

Beware of the Risen People

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 21:49 - May 3 with 1080 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 21:47 - May 3 by Kilkennyjack

Its never going to happen. 😄

Never say never but I tend to agree.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:03 - May 3 with 1049 viewsexiledclaseboy

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 20:24 - May 3 by union_jack

You can continue to credit me with enough sense and intelligence to not struggle with bilingual road signs. A feat which by your own admission is often beyond you.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 00:48 - May 4 with 1032 viewsAndy1300

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 17:38 - May 3 by Highjack

We can pretty much end the thread with that post.

Someone else with a bit of common sense.

And as for people calling me and union_jack thick! really?

Is that the best you can come up with?
[Post edited 4 May 2015 0:48]

Number 1 team in Wales

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:52 - May 4 with 993 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 23:03 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

You can continue to credit me with enough sense and intelligence to not struggle with bilingual road signs. A feat which by your own admission is often beyond you.

Argumentum ad hominem Clasie. Sadly you are not alone.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 11:09 - May 4 with 981 viewsexiledclaseboy

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 10:52 - May 4 by union_jack

Argumentum ad hominem Clasie. Sadly you are not alone.

Perhaps you should add the definition of "ad hominem" next to bilingual road signs on the list of things you struggle with.

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 13:21 - May 4 with 954 viewsyescomeon

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 17:03 - May 2 by Andy1300

Nobody is calling for a ban on welsh speaking

Just don't impose it on those that don't want or need to speak it.

Don't waste money producing everything in duplicate at twice the cost.

If you must have welsh on road signs, then as Union has stated, have a different font thus making the signs easier to read for everyone.

As for answering the bloody phone in both languages well that is just stupid because the rest of the call is usually English.

If your objection is based on cost then why spend all the money it would take to replace the road signs in Wales with one which have a different font for Welsh. I agree completely with the idea of using a different font, they do it in Ireland but when the signs were changed it wasn't done, perhaps it could be done for signs that are changed in the future. I think it is also fair to bring up the cost of sending things out in duplicate. The Welsh and English letters should be sent in the same letter or printed on either side of the letter really rather than the two being sent out separately. But either method will no doubt be cheaper than any system which would involve finding out peoples preferred language and sending letters out in that form. I don't see bi-lingual road signs as letters as imposing Welsh on anyone (the English is there it could just as much be argued that English is being forced on you). Finally I find it difficult to see any problem with answering the phone with "good moring, bore da" or whatever it is. Seem to be a complaint for the sake of complaint or clutching at straws to find an example of Welsh being "imposed" on you.

Upthecity!

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 15:31 - May 4 with 936 viewsunion_jack

English / Welsh bilingual signs on 11:09 - May 4 by exiledclaseboy

Perhaps you should add the definition of "ad hominem" next to bilingual road signs on the list of things you struggle with.

I think my use of the phrase is exactly to the point. Please tell me where you think I am wrong.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024