Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Budget hitting the young ? 18:57 - Jul 8 with 11234 viewstrampie

Grants for students from the poorest families gone replaced with loan's.
No housing benefit for under 21's.
Living wage for people only over 25.

So if you are a young person from a poor family and can't afford to go to university because the grants have gone and you don't want a loan and you decide to try and get a job and get one, you are likely to receive a smaller wage than somebody over 25 for doing exactly the same job, since your pay is likely to be low you might then struggle to pay your rent and you wont be able to get housing benefit until you are 21.

Seems very unfair on young people, the Tories will always look to make the rich richer [inheritance tax raised to a million pound], people on benefits were always going to be hit, but i'm surprised how hard they have hit the young.

The Tories are set fair for the next decade but after that the oldies that have done well will die out and will be replaced by the youngsters who perhaps wont have done so well [less pay relatively, greater hours, worse pensions, working to a greater age etc as well as a poorer health service and welfare system] and they might punish the Tories down the line.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Budget hitting the young ? on 11:04 - Jul 9 with 1455 viewsbuilthjack

£9 an hour....... By 2020

In which time they could be out. Unbelievable.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Budget hitting the young ? on 12:11 - Jul 9 with 1425 viewsLord_Bony

It is important for people to realise that a lot of these changes will not come into effect until at least April 2017.

Even then some of these proposed cuts have to get past a vote in Parliament.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Budget hitting the young ? on 13:12 - Jul 9 with 1365 viewsperchrockjack

No Roger, just imbue them with common sense to have a kid when circumstances are right; that don't mean having kids to get a house or just "cos its nice". BOTH YOU AND I know how tough life is and why we need to prepare ourselves for the long slog.

Nobody has a God given right to have kids; some decide to put careers before children and I respect that.

Surely... AH IT DONT MATTER , enjoy slaughtering those innocent little fishes

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Budget hitting the young ? on 13:23 - Jul 9 with 1363 viewsjackforever

Budget hitting the young ? on 10:12 - Jul 9 by perchrockjack

Typical of our appalling attitude to pensioners and old people. These feckers have often paid for their pitiful state pension many times over but hey let's give it to those who often have no idea .

Looking around, it's hard to see the street shite being called up ,as my dad was and millions of others, and having to fight an enemy and live off the land.

Old people are respected by most European countries except ours.

Makes my soul bleed

What the ones who could retire before 55? Who had free education and grants? Who had real apprenticeships and reasonable price housing? Genuine council houses and the opportunity to buy them for pittance? Great availability of jobs, could move from one job to the next when i was young son! A state pension at 60 or 65? Winter heating allowance no matter what you were earning? Genuine final salary pension schemes, full oensions and still working cause its something to do. I could go on and on. Not talking about the peole who went through the wars but the next generation who have had it so good and still moan and want more. Imagine a kid today retiring before they are 55? Imagine them buying their own home before 22 etc etc.
Respect goes two ways and unfortunately successive generations have shown no respect for the future . Btw i had afree a free education and grants, a great pension scheme and bought a lovely home at 23. Shame the young wont get these basics. But then again as long as i sure respect to the baby boomers everything will be ok.
Budget hitting the young ? on 14:16 - Jul 9 with 1316 viewsperchrockjack

Good post.

Not necessarily so.

You re being selective .

I ll raise you my parents generation whose education was disrupted by war . The ones brought up in houses ,post war, that were damp, cold and crumbling. Alternative , rachman landlords. Throw in work conditions that would make h and s executives weep and there you have it.
Young uns today bringing kids up in a two up two down with an outside toilet and no washing machine, microwave,central heating and ,feck me, no mobile to spend the day on.

Many children now are physically unable to walk to school and arecutterlybunablevto hold a conversation of any meaning

Budget hitting the young ? on 14:20 - Jul 9 with 1322 viewsLohengrin

Budget hitting the young ? on 13:23 - Jul 9 by jackforever

What the ones who could retire before 55? Who had free education and grants? Who had real apprenticeships and reasonable price housing? Genuine council houses and the opportunity to buy them for pittance? Great availability of jobs, could move from one job to the next when i was young son! A state pension at 60 or 65? Winter heating allowance no matter what you were earning? Genuine final salary pension schemes, full oensions and still working cause its something to do. I could go on and on. Not talking about the peole who went through the wars but the next generation who have had it so good and still moan and want more. Imagine a kid today retiring before they are 55? Imagine them buying their own home before 22 etc etc.
Respect goes two ways and unfortunately successive generations have shown no respect for the future . Btw i had afree a free education and grants, a great pension scheme and bought a lovely home at 23. Shame the young wont get these basics. But then again as long as i sure respect to the baby boomers everything will be ok.

Uncanny! That's more or less the exact gist of a rant I went on at work last night with one of the boys about to retire when he was moaning about the apprentice boys.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Budget hitting the young ? on 14:20 - Jul 9 with 1322 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Speaking personally, I have just finished uni (6 years of it) with a professional qualification and a Master's Degree. I come from a lower income background so was grant funded, and was lucky enough to have tuition fee loans at around £3,000. I have not yet been told precisely how much I will owe, but I expect it to be around £30-35,000. The last (labour) government encouraged further education in science, so I was lucky enough to be grant funded for my Master's - this got scrapped the year after I completed and now the course has essentially been scrapped as applications dropped like a stone because of lack of funding. I am now going onto yet more education as a direct consequence of this funding, something I would argue represents a 'good return' on government investment.

Now if I were starting university now, my tuition fees would be £9,000, so £45,000 over 5 years. My living loan would be £6,000 a year, so £30,000, and my Master's would have cost me around £12,000. So in total I would now be leaving with ~£90,000 of debt. I would challenge anyone to say they wouldn't think very carefully over willingly saddling themselves with this much debt in their early 20's. As for those who say it being a loan or grant makes no difference, it really does as the torries are essentially telling a massive political lie. The debt I actually owe I will probably pay back in full eventually, though it will take a sizeable portion of my working life to do so. It would be almost impossible for me to pay back my debts if I were starting uni now. This I'm sure will be reflected across the country, leaving a lovely, huge debt hole for some unfortunate bugger to have to deal with in the future. Why then bother with increasing tuition fees etc. when it seems to be false economy? To "reduce" the size of the deficit and to make people from lower income families think twice about university… this has the double advantage of making it look like they are improving the economy (actually just deferring the debt by 20 years) and also reducing the size of this deferred debt by limiting university as an option to only those who can afford it.
Budget hitting the young ? on 14:32 - Jul 9 with 1308 viewsLohengrin

Budget hitting the young ? on 14:20 - Jul 9 by Tycoch_Tyrant

Speaking personally, I have just finished uni (6 years of it) with a professional qualification and a Master's Degree. I come from a lower income background so was grant funded, and was lucky enough to have tuition fee loans at around £3,000. I have not yet been told precisely how much I will owe, but I expect it to be around £30-35,000. The last (labour) government encouraged further education in science, so I was lucky enough to be grant funded for my Master's - this got scrapped the year after I completed and now the course has essentially been scrapped as applications dropped like a stone because of lack of funding. I am now going onto yet more education as a direct consequence of this funding, something I would argue represents a 'good return' on government investment.

Now if I were starting university now, my tuition fees would be £9,000, so £45,000 over 5 years. My living loan would be £6,000 a year, so £30,000, and my Master's would have cost me around £12,000. So in total I would now be leaving with ~£90,000 of debt. I would challenge anyone to say they wouldn't think very carefully over willingly saddling themselves with this much debt in their early 20's. As for those who say it being a loan or grant makes no difference, it really does as the torries are essentially telling a massive political lie. The debt I actually owe I will probably pay back in full eventually, though it will take a sizeable portion of my working life to do so. It would be almost impossible for me to pay back my debts if I were starting uni now. This I'm sure will be reflected across the country, leaving a lovely, huge debt hole for some unfortunate bugger to have to deal with in the future. Why then bother with increasing tuition fees etc. when it seems to be false economy? To "reduce" the size of the deficit and to make people from lower income families think twice about university… this has the double advantage of making it look like they are improving the economy (actually just deferring the debt by 20 years) and also reducing the size of this deferred debt by limiting university as an option to only those who can afford it.

My eldest is about to go off and study Medicine. That's the debt barrel I'm now staring down.

Login to get fewer ads

Budget hitting the young ? on 15:14 - Jul 9 with 1281 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Budget hitting the young ? on 14:32 - Jul 9 by Lohengrin

My eldest is about to go off and study Medicine. That's the debt barrel I'm now staring down.

I truly feel your pain. Out of interest, how is NHS funding during the clinical years looking - does it still exist, or have they scrapped that too? I know it's easier said than done, but don't let the money put them off… a vocation is a vocation and shouldn't be blocked by lack of finances… this being why this budget has made me so angry, it discourages those who have a true interest and calling to go down a particular career path and opens the way for those who can afford to do anything they want, regardless of whether they will actually be particularly interested in it.
Budget hitting the young ? on 16:23 - Jul 9 with 1232 viewsLeonisGod

Budget hitting the young ? on 14:20 - Jul 9 by Tycoch_Tyrant

Good post highlighting the pressure on students very well. Some research has suggested that the value of a degree in terms of extra income over a career is around £150k-£250k depending on gender (females do better) and type of career, etc. So I expect the government is expecting a lot of the debt to be paid off. Certainly more than the cost of continuing to issue grants. But, we're almost getting to the point where it makes no financial sense to go to University for the 'average' person which then opens up a whole new can of worms in terms of producing people suitable for work in an increasingly service-based economy.

Uni is definitely becoming elitist again.
Budget hitting the young ? on 17:09 - Jul 9 with 1213 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Budget hitting the young ? on 16:23 - Jul 9 by LeonisGod

Good post highlighting the pressure on students very well. Some research has suggested that the value of a degree in terms of extra income over a career is around £150k-£250k depending on gender (females do better) and type of career, etc. So I expect the government is expecting a lot of the debt to be paid off. Certainly more than the cost of continuing to issue grants. But, we're almost getting to the point where it makes no financial sense to go to University for the 'average' person which then opens up a whole new can of worms in terms of producing people suitable for work in an increasingly service-based economy.

Uni is definitely becoming elitist again.

You do raise an interesting point over repayments. At the moment it is 9% of anything over £1444 per month, or £17,335pa for myself. Anyone after 2012 is £21,000pa. However, you also have to consider interest which for me is 1.5% (variable), for those post-2012, it's inflation PLUS 3%. Effectively this makes it very difficult to predict how much you will actually repay.

To give a very basic idea of how this works out, post-PhD I could expect to start on £35k. My tax-paying career will be about 35 years long. If I'm to follow a vague average-good career path of post-doc on £35k for 5 years, lecturer for 10 years (£45k), senior lecturer for 5 years (£55k), reader for 5 years (£65k) and professor for 5 years (£75k) then I will start with repayments of £1600pa (£130pm). I will have therefore paid off £8000 by the time I am a lecturer, leaving £22-27k of debt. As a lecturer I will pay £2500pa (£210pm), so I should hope to have completely paid off my student debts by roughly the time I get made a senior lecturer, or by the age of 45… about halfway through my career.

Ok so now transfer this to the new system! Good news is I initially pay less, £1300pa, so £6500 by lecturer… leaving £83,500 of debt. Ten years of being a lecturer will repay £21,500, leaving £62,000.Five years senior lecturer, £49,000 left… 5 years of reader leaves £30,000 remaining and then finally 5 years of being a professor will leave £6,000 of loan being owed by the time I retire at 65. Obviously this has quite a few assumptions and ignores inflation, interest etc… but I think it demonstrates that under the new system it is perfectly possible to rise to the top of your chosen profession under a reasonable career progression, earn a salary than most would call good… and still be in debt by the time you retire.

An interesting additional point I noticed is that by the point I am 45 under the current scheme I will have paid ~£33,000 in debt. The new scheme at this point will be on £28,000. I would argue that the 'selling point' of £21k before you repay anything actually scuppers you in the long term as it would take someone even longer to repay.

To finish, if you extrapolate this idea to current student debts - student graduating now on a 3 year degree could expect to be £20k in debt, students starting now could expect to be in £45k debt.If you put this into my guesstimated career progression, student debts could at the moment expect to be paid off by the time you are about 35-40. New system, 50-55. That is a big difference.
Budget hitting the young ? on 17:20 - Jul 9 with 1209 viewsBatterseajack

I guess this is pay back for the years and years of silly subjects becoming degrees. When i was in uni about a decade ago, i had loads of friends studying subjects like tourism and criminology. None of them went on to chose careers relating to their degrees and not all of them will pay will get close to paying back their loans. University to many of my mates was just an excuse to go live away from home for a bit, get pissed and trying to pull birds. Unfortunately it seems like this generation of school leavers who are paying the price now.
Budget hitting the young ? on 17:34 - Jul 9 with 1178 viewsperchrockjack

Just to add that in the 70s interest rates were 17per cent so savings paid well. Mortgages however were in alignment and ours was 18 per cent.

This was a time when our trade union heroes were dismantling our industries aided and abetted by the cretins we had in senior managers and ce s in industry.

So, pensioners were better off in the 70s, bless em

Budget hitting the young ? on 17:45 - Jul 9 with 1180 viewstrampie

Budget hitting the young ? on 13:23 - Jul 9 by jackforever

Excellent post, just logged on to write the same thing but you have done my post for me, I was even going to highlighting the different generations as well, I have respect for my elders but in a general sense current pensioners disgust me, they basically paid themselves too much at the expense of future generations, selfish beyond words, ruined our way of life, voted continuously for the likes of Thatcher and Blair so they could enjoy tax cuts and pocket the money from selling off our countries Industries and housing stock.
The war generation will be turning in their graves at their children's generation, hippies, drugs, free love, tax cuts to benefit themselves at the expense of future generations and the infrastructure of the country, its obscene what they did and continue to do to a once great country.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2015 17:48]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Budget hitting the young ? on 17:54 - Jul 9 with 1171 viewsyescomeon

You doing a PhD Tycoch?

Upthecity!

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:03 - Jul 9 with 1113 viewsLohengrin

Budget hitting the young ? on 15:14 - Jul 9 by Tycoch_Tyrant

I truly feel your pain. Out of interest, how is NHS funding during the clinical years looking - does it still exist, or have they scrapped that too? I know it's easier said than done, but don't let the money put them off… a vocation is a vocation and shouldn't be blocked by lack of finances… this being why this budget has made me so angry, it discourages those who have a true interest and calling to go down a particular career path and opens the way for those who can afford to do anything they want, regardless of whether they will actually be particularly interested in it.

I can't give you chapter and verse off the top of my head but there is still funding there, albeit reduced. My daughter is going to be an Oncologist at the end of it all, fingers crossed. You'd have thought that for somebody like her, going down that route, the entire thing would be publically funded as it was when I was her age (I was never as clever as she is, mind you.)

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:15 - Jul 9 with 1096 viewsmacthejack

Budget hitting the young ? on 17:09 - Jul 9 by Tycoch_Tyrant

You do raise an interesting point over repayments. At the moment it is 9% of anything over £1444 per month, or £17,335pa for myself. Anyone after 2012 is £21,000pa. However, you also have to consider interest which for me is 1.5% (variable), for those post-2012, it's inflation PLUS 3%. Effectively this makes it very difficult to predict how much you will actually repay.

To give a very basic idea of how this works out, post-PhD I could expect to start on £35k. My tax-paying career will be about 35 years long. If I'm to follow a vague average-good career path of post-doc on £35k for 5 years, lecturer for 10 years (£45k), senior lecturer for 5 years (£55k), reader for 5 years (£65k) and professor for 5 years (£75k) then I will start with repayments of £1600pa (£130pm). I will have therefore paid off £8000 by the time I am a lecturer, leaving £22-27k of debt. As a lecturer I will pay £2500pa (£210pm), so I should hope to have completely paid off my student debts by roughly the time I get made a senior lecturer, or by the age of 45… about halfway through my career.

Ok so now transfer this to the new system! Good news is I initially pay less, £1300pa, so £6500 by lecturer… leaving £83,500 of debt. Ten years of being a lecturer will repay £21,500, leaving £62,000.Five years senior lecturer, £49,000 left… 5 years of reader leaves £30,000 remaining and then finally 5 years of being a professor will leave £6,000 of loan being owed by the time I retire at 65. Obviously this has quite a few assumptions and ignores inflation, interest etc… but I think it demonstrates that under the new system it is perfectly possible to rise to the top of your chosen profession under a reasonable career progression, earn a salary than most would call good… and still be in debt by the time you retire.

An interesting additional point I noticed is that by the point I am 45 under the current scheme I will have paid ~£33,000 in debt. The new scheme at this point will be on £28,000. I would argue that the 'selling point' of £21k before you repay anything actually scuppers you in the long term as it would take someone even longer to repay.

To finish, if you extrapolate this idea to current student debts - student graduating now on a 3 year degree could expect to be £20k in debt, students starting now could expect to be in £45k debt.If you put this into my guesstimated career progression, student debts could at the moment expect to be paid off by the time you are about 35-40. New system, 50-55. That is a big difference.

The debt is cancelled 30 years after graduation so on the new system the government would end up picking up the 30 grand you couldn't pay, while you pay 60 grand. I'm assuming all your working out is roughly correct here, I'm not sure how the loans work for post-grads.

Also student's graduating now (me) can expect to start with just under 40 grand of debt. (Three years of tuition at 9 grand plus 3 years of minimum maintenance loan, which is what most students get, some get a large maintenance loan so they'd be nearer the 40k mark.)
[Post edited 9 Jul 2015 18:19]
Budget hitting the young ? on 18:17 - Jul 9 with 1087 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Budget hitting the young ? on 17:54 - Jul 9 by yescomeon

You doing a PhD Tycoch?

Yup - 'cos I've been institutionalised and can't quite face leaving uni yet! Why do you ask?
Budget hitting the young ? on 18:19 - Jul 9 with 1071 viewsperchrockjack

You should be so proud of her LOH going into that field of medicine as cancer is truly the vilest of diseases. Clatterdridge last month, was full to the brim with new punters all facing an uncertain future.

Do you feel trampies obvious hatred of not only anything English and now of post war parents is in any way justified as frankly he s making me feel il ,so much so, I feel a Rosetta Tharpe moment to calk me back to my sanguine self.

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:21 - Jul 9 with 1068 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:03 - Jul 9 by Lohengrin

I can't give you chapter and verse off the top of my head but there is still funding there, albeit reduced. My daughter is going to be an Oncologist at the end of it all, fingers crossed. You'd have thought that for somebody like her, going down that route, the entire thing would be publically funded as it was when I was her age (I was never as clever as she is, mind you.)

Thanks, I wasn't sure how it worked now - these things change all the time! She just going to uni this sept/oct? Where is she going? Oncology is a tough career choice, both academically and emotionally… I know I couldn't do it, but I have immense respect for those who can.
Budget hitting the young ? on 18:26 - Jul 9 with 1050 viewsperchrockjack

I can tell you from personal experience its a conveyor belt of pain and heartbreak and whatever salary they receive is nowhere near enough.

Its an exciting job however in the research field. My daughter was involved in new drug trials and those who are prepared to try them out are heroes of our time

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:29 - Jul 9 with 1047 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:15 - Jul 9 by macthejack

The debt is cancelled 30 years after graduation so on the new system the government would end up picking up the 30 grand you couldn't pay, while you pay 60 grand. I'm assuming all your working out is roughly correct here, I'm not sure how the loans work for post-grads.

Also student's graduating now (me) can expect to start with just under 40 grand of debt. (Three years of tuition at 9 grand plus 3 years of minimum maintenance loan, which is what most students get, some get a large maintenance loan so they'd be nearer the 40k mark.)
[Post edited 9 Jul 2015 18:19]

Post-grads whilst you are still in education you don't pay back any tuition fees etc (I hope), but then you start at a higher salary so it kinda cancels out, really. I forgot to mention the bit about the govt picking up fees after 30 years - I wasn't sure whether it was 20 or 30 to be honest? I looked very quickly to see if anything confirms it, but couldn't find anything… I didn't look very hard though! This really highlights the secret debt hole idea, can the 'new wave' of 3-year degrees on ~£50k debt be expected to be fully paid up within 30 years?

Apologies I was thinking of 3 year degrees from the point I started uni (when it was £3k tuition fees), you are correct to say those actually graduating now would be higher.
Budget hitting the young ? on 18:35 - Jul 9 with 1030 viewsperchrockjack

My advice is to not be restricted to your degree subject .

My son got a Chemistry masters and used it as a tool to get jobs requiring analytical expertise. Science subjects are excellent for a range of roles and are in demand.

The joke degrees,we all know them, are now shown to have been basically a waste of time although a glorious pisss up was had Many schools conned kids into going to University when they were utterly unsuited for the life .

Luckily my daughter saved me the expense, herself the hassle and debt and started her own business and doing just fine. Serious Debt is a millstone no youngster should have and I curse the government for encouraging it

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:51 - Jul 9 with 1008 viewsTycoch_Tyrant

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:35 - Jul 9 by perchrockjack

My advice is to not be restricted to your degree subject .

My son got a Chemistry masters and used it as a tool to get jobs requiring analytical expertise. Science subjects are excellent for a range of roles and are in demand.

The joke degrees,we all know them, are now shown to have been basically a waste of time although a glorious pisss up was had Many schools conned kids into going to University when they were utterly unsuited for the life .

Luckily my daughter saved me the expense, herself the hassle and debt and started her own business and doing just fine. Serious Debt is a millstone no youngster should have and I curse the government for encouraging it

Hmm I agree and disagree. I think more important than the decision between a more generalised or specific degree is having a clear plan with what you might want to do with it afterwards. The people that I went to school with who have been doing well have all studied a vast array of subjects (both scientific and arts) but have all had a clear plan for beyond the degree. Getting to university isn't the end, it's the beginning.
Budget hitting the young ? on 19:14 - Jul 9 with 990 viewsyescomeon

Budget hitting the young ? on 18:17 - Jul 9 by Tycoch_Tyrant

Yup - 'cos I've been institutionalised and can't quite face leaving uni yet! Why do you ask?

Ah fair play to you. Just coming towards the end of my 1st year (terrifying to write that). It's an incredible experience.

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024