Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 20:58 - Oct 9 with 4828 viewsbonymine

Play Off Decider - they only gave us 200 tickets.
This game was a classic - Torquay only gave us 200 tickets I think but in those days the tickets were at best good quality raffle tickets so I think about 1,000 Swans fans or more turned up with forgeries....
We got stopped twice on the way down by the law on the way into Torquay and we had 2x genuine & 3x forgeries but they didn't bat an eyelid when inspecting our ticketsv!!
When we got to the ground a mate of mine was inside already about an hour before but he was off his face as he'd stayed down the night before.
He got ejected TWICE before kick off but got back in both times with yet another forgery !!
Remember that day well, Peter Guthrie in goal played a blinder to get us through the Play Offs he was on loan from Spurs I think.
Happy Days..........

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 07:10 - May 21 with 1042 viewsDaggyjack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 23:54 - May 20 by homeiswheretrundleis

Yes I was there memories to cherish soaked to the skin between watching the game and being kept in for what seemed hours after the final whistle Swans supporters bare chested (sadly no females) remenber away end was narrow when you came through turnstiles but got wider as you moved toward the goals.Like you said Peter Guthrie played a blinder remenber him saving a certain goal low down to his left on the goal line and also the late Alan Davies what a class player and a nice person to talk to sadly died to early.Those were the days muddy pitches heavy footballs would you bring them back.

Ran on the pitch after the match and still have the video of the match.
Great match 3-3, great players, Knill, Coleman, Davies as well as Ian Love, McCarthy and Raynor!
[Post edited 21 May 2016 7:10]
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 08:59 - May 21 with 991 viewsswan65split

I was in Spain on Holiday, in those days had to wait till the paper arrived
Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 09:13 - May 21 with 972 viewsLoyal

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:31 - May 20 by morningstar

Went down on the train on my own as worked for British Rail. Was 24 at the time, met a gorgeous 18 yr old from Carmarthen who was going to Paignton to visit her mum. Did her in the toilets between Taunton and Exeter!

Sounds like my type of lass, anyone who sounds like they could still be up for it after their last breath is worth keeping 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 09:40 - May 21 with 966 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 02:17 - May 21 by Treforys_Jack

Top Rank, 50/50 night, 50p to get in 50p a pint = carnage.

Wasn't that held on a Tuesday night. Feckin brilliant!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 09:49 - May 21 with 956 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 23:54 - May 20 by homeiswheretrundleis

Yes I was there memories to cherish soaked to the skin between watching the game and being kept in for what seemed hours after the final whistle Swans supporters bare chested (sadly no females) remenber away end was narrow when you came through turnstiles but got wider as you moved toward the goals.Like you said Peter Guthrie played a blinder remenber him saving a certain goal low down to his left on the goal line and also the late Alan Davies what a class player and a nice person to talk to sadly died to early.Those were the days muddy pitches heavy footballs would you bring them back.

Did "Guthers" loan come to directly replace Mike Hughes who sadly had to retire young?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 16:53 - May 22 with 803 viewsPhaedrus

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 20:25 - May 20 by bonymine

'Guthrie is a Welshman, Guthrie is a Welshman ...........

Brilliant as he walked past the away end after the game !!

Guthrie bore a passing 'semblance to Lord Lucan. Being that this is tinfoil hat central, I thought I would bring those facts together and see what ensues.
[Post edited 22 May 2016 16:59]

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 16:56 - May 22 with 797 viewsPhaedrus

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 09:49 - May 21 by Brynmill_Jack

Did "Guthers" loan come to directly replace Mike Hughes who sadly had to retire young?

Yes. Tottenham had payed some exorbitant fee(£100k) to Weymouth or some such club and he was largely terrible*, especially against Rochdale at home( on my 19th birthday) 3-0 with Lyndon " moobs" Simmonds playing inexplicably well(for them), given his appalling loan spell with us.
* playoffs excluded.
[Post edited 22 May 2016 17:07]

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 17:06 - May 22 with 779 viewscontroversial_jack

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 01:58 - May 21 by Jack123

Ritzys brings back some memories.. The dj made an announcement all vodka 25p a shot, I walked up to the bar and ordered a pint of vodka and orange.. Never been so sick..I'm guessing Ritzys 84-87? Ferk knows good days, but all a fog.

Met MrsControversial there in 84
Login to get fewer ads

Lets's Reminisce you Oldies - Torquay Away 1988 on 17:45 - May 22 with 740 viewsAl_Bundy

I remember getting tickets in the home end main stand and was chucked out after 10 mins when they knew we were jacks. Then we walked round the ground to the terracing opposite and got in showing our tickets again. Would never happen now !! we did keep a lower profile in that part of the ground until the end.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024