Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm with monk 21:50 - Nov 17 with 4450 viewsxmastree

Shelvey misses 10 days of training with us for 15 mins of meaningless friendlies. It is so obvious that he isn't part of their plans but very detrimental to ours. No need to be there.
I'm with monk on 21:55 - Nov 17 with 3618 viewsmonmouth

We all should be shouldn't we? The swans are our priority and we tend to be poor after real internationals, never mind unimportant friendlies. If we had a few more points everyone could afford to take a different view and I'm sure GM would not have bothered about it.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

I'm with monk on 22:02 - Nov 17 with 3562 viewsDarran

I'm with monk on 21:55 - Nov 17 by monmouth

We all should be shouldn't we? The swans are our priority and we tend to be poor after real internationals, never mind unimportant friendlies. If we had a few more points everyone could afford to take a different view and I'm sure GM would not have bothered about it.

Absolutely and I've no doubt the manager at the start of next pre-season will be disappointed to start training without so many players.
I don't see anything wrong in a club manager being more interested in his club than internationals,it's normal isn't it?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

I'm with monk on 22:15 - Nov 17 with 3515 viewsjack247

I'm with monk on 22:02 - Nov 17 by Darran

Absolutely and I've no doubt the manager at the start of next pre-season will be disappointed to start training without so many players.
I don't see anything wrong in a club manager being more interested in his club than internationals,it's normal isn't it?

Of course it is. His priority is the Swans as it absolutely should be. I think pretty much all of us would prefer our international players to have been in Swansea the last week or so too.

These international breaks are nothing new though, just so happens this one has come at a time we could have really used all the players here to work on getting our mojo back.
I'm with monk on 22:23 - Nov 17 with 3493 viewstomdickharry

I'm with monk on 22:02 - Nov 17 by Darran

If we get relegated then half our lot will be off anyway.
I'm with monk on 22:27 - Nov 17 with 3476 viewsjack247

I'm with monk on 22:23 - Nov 17 by tomdickharry

If we get relegated then half our lot will be off anyway.

We won't. Our players are too good. If we get to the stage that we are in serious relegation danger, Garry will be out the door and we will have someone in to raise morale and keep us up.

I'm not sure if it's morale, or just trying to shoehorn all our best players in at the expense of the team, but I don't think there is too much wrong that can't be put right.
I'm with monk on 08:44 - Nov 18 with 3233 viewsWhiterockin

I'm with monk on 22:27 - Nov 17 by jack247

We won't. Our players are too good. If we get to the stage that we are in serious relegation danger, Garry will be out the door and we will have someone in to raise morale and keep us up.

I'm not sure if it's morale, or just trying to shoehorn all our best players in at the expense of the team, but I don't think there is too much wrong that can't be put right.

Teams with better players than us have gone down. I don't believe we will get relegated but we should never be complacent. How many times have we heard the saying "too good to go down". The way we are playing at the moment we certainly aren't.
I'm with monk on 10:11 - Nov 18 with 3152 viewsjack247

I'm with monk on 08:44 - Nov 18 by Whiterockin

Teams with better players than us have gone down. I don't believe we will get relegated but we should never be complacent. How many times have we heard the saying "too good to go down". The way we are playing at the moment we certainly aren't.

I can't think of a team with better players than us that has gone down in a long while. Newcastle arguably? Certainly not when there are squads like the current Bournemouth, Sunderland, Villa ones about. The 'too good to go down' cliche is often used, but has a lot of merit to it.

Only way I can see us going down is if Monk loses the dressing room or is too stubborn to admit the way we are playing is ineffective and sticks with it. In either scenario, I would imagine he would be gone before the transfer window shuts.

I do agree the way we are playing now could drag us right into a relegation battle if we don't change it, I just don't see that we won't change it. Centre forward aside, we have plenty of decent options for changing personnel, formation and style.
I'm with monk on 10:36 - Nov 18 with 3119 viewsClinton

Je suis Garry

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Login to get fewer ads

I'm with monk on 10:50 - Nov 18 with 3088 viewsperchrockjack

With our obsession of the Swansea way and playing pretty footy it could be the case this style wont be enough to combat those teams who will kick us to stay up.

Personally Im not arsed about how we play so long as we stay up because the the increased money we should be able to crack on next year.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

I'm with monk on 11:05 - Nov 18 with 3066 viewsImAlrightJack

Couldn't get away from that pile of cr@p while in Lyon.... it was playing on a TV tuned to TF1 in a bar. We just drank up and left for our hotel to watch Sweden go though to Euro 2016. A much better game in which BOTH teams actually went for it.

Friendlies are pointless, they're just pathetic experimenting exercises, with no reward if you win.
I'm with monk on 11:08 - Nov 18 with 3061 viewsperchrockjack

i GOT SLAMMED FOR SAYING THAT

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

I'm with monk on 11:12 - Nov 18 with 3052 viewsmonmouth

I'm with monk on 11:05 - Nov 18 by ImAlrightJack

Couldn't get away from that pile of cr@p while in Lyon.... it was playing on a TV tuned to TF1 in a bar. We just drank up and left for our hotel to watch Sweden go though to Euro 2016. A much better game in which BOTH teams actually went for it.

Friendlies are pointless, they're just pathetic experimenting exercises, with no reward if you win.

You've anwered your own implied question there. The point of a friendly is to experiment in a non serious game. What I don't understand is why anybody bothers, let alone pays, to watch them, never mind jizzing in their pants when their team loses at home in one. There we go, each to their own I suppose.

I'm with monk on 11:13 - Nov 18 with 3044 viewssomersetsimon

You'd like to think that our players would benefit from the opportunity to spend lots of time with world class players, coaches and tacticians. Not much hope of that with England...

Also, the players we sending to play with Wales, South Korea, Iceland, Ghana and Ecuador are probably the best players in those teams, so it's unlikely to improve them.
I'm with monk on 11:16 - Nov 18 with 3039 viewsImAlrightJack

I'm with monk on 11:12 - Nov 18 by monmouth

You've anwered your own implied question there. The point of a friendly is to experiment in a non serious game. What I don't understand is why anybody bothers, let alone pays, to watch them, never mind jizzing in their pants when their team loses at home in one. There we go, each to their own I suppose.

England just field weakened or full strength sides in them. I'll never pay for a stupid friendly either, waste of money and even more so with England having that stupid band in your earholes for 90 minutes.
I'm with monk on 11:18 - Nov 18 with 3037 viewsmonmouth

I'm with monk on 11:16 - Nov 18 by ImAlrightJack

England just field weakened or full strength sides in them. I'll never pay for a stupid friendly either, waste of money and even more so with England having that stupid band in your earholes for 90 minutes.

They don't still play the great escape do they? What in the name of the SBJ is all that about anyway?

#welcometo1966

I'm with monk on 11:42 - Nov 18 with 2996 viewsjack247

I'm with monk on 10:50 - Nov 18 by perchrockjack

With our obsession of the Swansea way and playing pretty footy it could be the case this style wont be enough to combat those teams who will kick us to stay up.

Personally Im not arsed about how we play so long as we stay up because the the increased money we should be able to crack on next year.

Teams have kicked us to stay up for 4 and a bit years. We would have gone down first season if we had tried to play them at their own game. The way we have played up until now is the reason we have stayed up. We have one of the smallest grounds in the league, don't have megabucks owners ploughing millions into the club and reinvest a lot of our revenue into things like youth development and training facilities, to make us long term sufficient if we ever were relegated.

We are at a financial disadvantage (in terms of spending power) to more or less everyone, if we start playing typical bottom half percentage football, it will only be a matter of time before it catches up with us and we are relegated.

The thing that confuses me most about your post, is we are about as far away from 'the Swansea way' as we have been since we reached the Premier League and that has coincided with arguably our biggest slump in form. I can understand and agree with not wanting to play pretty football if it sends us down, but it looks to me that slowly morphing into an identikit bottom-mid table Premier league team is far more likely to do that.

I don't think we will go down this season regardless, but if we become just another percentage team, we will eventually.
I'm with monk on 11:43 - Nov 18 with 2991 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

We shouldn't sign any international players .

Then it'll be ok, that'll learn us

Get the fack on with it & stop moaning

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

I'm with monk on 12:21 - Nov 18 with 2959 viewsHidden_Hand

When is the last time you seen us play?

We haven't played "pretty footy" most of the season I'm afraid, which has coincided with our bad run.
I'm with monk on 13:04 - Nov 18 with 2877 viewsPapaLazarou

We haven't played "The Swansea way" for well over a season.
I'm with monk on 13:20 - Nov 18 with 2850 viewskarnataka

I'm with monk on 11:42 - Nov 18 by jack247

Teams have kicked us to stay up for 4 and a bit years. We would have gone down first season if we had tried to play them at their own game. The way we have played up until now is the reason we have stayed up. We have one of the smallest grounds in the league, don't have megabucks owners ploughing millions into the club and reinvest a lot of our revenue into things like youth development and training facilities, to make us long term sufficient if we ever were relegated.

We are at a financial disadvantage (in terms of spending power) to more or less everyone, if we start playing typical bottom half percentage football, it will only be a matter of time before it catches up with us and we are relegated.

The thing that confuses me most about your post, is we are about as far away from 'the Swansea way' as we have been since we reached the Premier League and that has coincided with arguably our biggest slump in form. I can understand and agree with not wanting to play pretty football if it sends us down, but it looks to me that slowly morphing into an identikit bottom-mid table Premier league team is far more likely to do that.

I don't think we will go down this season regardless, but if we become just another percentage team, we will eventually.

I think your last 2 paragraphs have hit the nail on the head. We have seen teams like Villa and Sunderland for several seasons plus other teams like Hull and Leicester from last season, with no outstanding players (apart from maybe Benteke) and no discernible style, plan or pattern to their play. They just seem to assemble what they consider to be a group of decent players, put them on the pitch, tell them to do their best and hope it works enough times to keep them up which is probably why they go through managers so quickly. I assume that this is what you mean by a percentage team? And yes, we are heading in that direction because, as I've been boringly saying for weeks, we are currently trying to squeeze all our "best" players on the pitch and hope it works rather than fitting the right players into the right plan.
I'm with monk on 13:39 - Nov 18 with 2817 viewsmonmouth

I'm with monk on 13:20 - Nov 18 by karnataka

I think your last 2 paragraphs have hit the nail on the head. We have seen teams like Villa and Sunderland for several seasons plus other teams like Hull and Leicester from last season, with no outstanding players (apart from maybe Benteke) and no discernible style, plan or pattern to their play. They just seem to assemble what they consider to be a group of decent players, put them on the pitch, tell them to do their best and hope it works enough times to keep them up which is probably why they go through managers so quickly. I assume that this is what you mean by a percentage team? And yes, we are heading in that direction because, as I've been boringly saying for weeks, we are currently trying to squeeze all our "best" players on the pitch and hope it works rather than fitting the right players into the right plan.

...and maybe trying to build our style around players? Shelvey behind Cork or Ki so he can pretend to be Stevie Gerry 2 instead of competing with Ki or Sig. Ayew wide right (although not sure where he should be, competing with Sig or Montero maybe. Gomis and Sig don't fit at all. That's why I'd play Eder...whether he can score or not I don't know but surely to God he'll bring others into the game more than Gomis does. If Gomis and Ayew aren't scoring they seem pretty much pointless and we can't afford both in those circumstances.

We didn't buy bad players, but with hindsight we bought badly for the team. Especially as it looks like Tabanou is never going to play for us again unless there is a total change of heart.

I'm with monk on 13:47 - Nov 18 with 2796 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I'm with monk on 13:20 - Nov 18 by karnataka

Quite.

Some of us have been pointing out for some time that your best eleven players are not necessarily your best team.

Garry seems to have forgotten that.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

I'm with monk on 17:49 - Nov 18 with 2604 viewsLoyal

I'm with monk on 22:27 - Nov 17 by jack247

Big Sam or Pullis, I can see it now🔝 Hoof !
[Post edited 18 Nov 2015 17:49]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

I'm with monk on 20:56 - Nov 18 with 2409 viewsjack247

I'm with monk on 17:49 - Nov 18 by Loyal

Big Sam or Pullis, I can see it now🔝 Hoof !
[Post edited 18 Nov 2015 17:49]

I'm hoping Garry can get it right, but if not, I'd expect we would appoint someone more suited to the continental style we have used in the past. Employing a hoofball merchant may keep a team
up short term, but it's only really delaying the inevitable. If we become like Sunderland, Newcastle etc, they will eventually realise an advantage over us simply because they are bigger clubs with bigger fanbases and more commercial appeal.
I'm with monk on 21:10 - Nov 18 with 2374 viewsDr_Winston

International football is a total waste of f*cking time.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024