Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brian Flynn era 10:13 - Feb 11 with 9602 viewsStarsky

Please somebody explain this to me once and for all, so I can get my head around it.
The great escape in 2003 during Flynns tenure is where we have come from to this wonderful era that had seen us listed as one of the richest Football clubs in the world (top 30).
It's well documented on here that his hands on efforts at the club were increasingly found wanting.
However, I don't get the occasional comments that are posted here whenever there's a manager thread.
Dav recently posted that he didn't have a lot to do with us staying up and I know Darran and Jobs have similar views. I'm not contesting this, I'm just trying to understand the viewpoint.
Here's my take on the Flynn era...

In comes Flynn and he brings Kevin Reeves with him.
In come Tate, Britton, Martinez, Thomas, Jonrose and we escape the drop by the skin of our teeth.
The next season sees the permanent return of Britton, Tate and the arrival of Lee Trundle who dropped a division to join us and Andy Robinson plucked from Cammel Laird.
So many of those players have been a great part of our success. Martinez started the Swansea pass and move game, Tate captained us in our first ever Premier league game. Britton is still playing for us.

If Flynn is not responsible for all this then who was?
And... If you say Reeves... Who brought him to the club? Wasn't it Flynn?

I'm confused. Help me out here.
Anybody who starts by "why are you bringing this up, let's move on etc"
Just Feck off and let the ones who want to discuss it get on with it.

It's just the internet, init.

The Brian Flynn era on 19:20 - Feb 11 with 1387 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 18:56 - Feb 11 by blaenaugwentjack

Not as much as its going to hurt you.

Why don't you drive up to Burnley and bum him you clearly want too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Brian Flynn era on 19:30 - Feb 11 with 1377 viewsGroo

If I remember right Cusack didn't have enough players to field a team, so arranged trial matches where he selected players to sign.

Groo does what Groo does best

The Brian Flynn era on 19:34 - Feb 11 with 1369 viewsGroo

Our season for that year

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/swansea-city/2002-2003

The Brian Flynn era on 19:38 - Feb 11 with 1365 viewsexiledclaseboy

Anyone who claims that Flynn worked anything less than a near miracle in his first season here is an idiot. I won't elaborate because many others have already done it well enough.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 20:44]

Poll: Tory leader

The Brian Flynn era on 20:28 - Feb 11 with 1327 viewsPhil_S

The Brian Flynn era on 19:38 - Feb 11 by exiledclaseboy

Anyone who claims that Flynn worked anything less than a near miracle in his first season here is an idiot. I won't elaborate because many others have already done it well enough.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 20:44]

I've tried but there is nothing I want to say to this other than

This
The Brian Flynn era on 20:42 - Feb 11 with 1294 viewsmonmouth

The Brian Flynn era on 20:28 - Feb 11 by Phil_S

I've tried but there is nothing I want to say to this other than

This

Well you might not want to say eleborate?

Agree with Clasey from an outsiders view though. I had to watch from a distance at the time but I thought we were done before he rocked up and he simply surely has to have some credit for the outcome.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Brian Flynn era on 20:44 - Feb 11 with 1285 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 20:42 - Feb 11 by monmouth

Well you might not want to say eleborate?

Agree with Clasey from an outsiders view though. I had to watch from a distance at the time but I thought we were done before he rocked up and he simply surely has to have some credit for the outcome.

That's ridiculous Monny you thought we were done in the 3rd week of September?

The Brian Flynn era on 20:48 - Feb 11 with 1280 viewsmonmouth

The Brian Flynn era on 20:44 - Feb 11 by Darran

That's ridiculous Monny you thought we were done in the 3rd week of September?

I know. I was a long way away and my Father was very pessimistic with his reports (from his mates, mind, so third hand). I genuinely thought we were in a death spiral at the time. I remember clearly being thrilled he'd been appointed.

Login to get fewer ads

The Brian Flynn era on 20:48 - Feb 11 with 1278 viewsKilkennyjack

Another critical Flynn signing was keeper Neil Cutler. Thank God he arrived.

Beware of the Risen People

The Brian Flynn era on 20:50 - Feb 11 with 1262 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 20:48 - Feb 11 by monmouth

I know. I was a long way away and my Father was very pessimistic with his reports (from his mates, mind, so third hand). I genuinely thought we were in a death spiral at the time. I remember clearly being thrilled he'd been appointed.

Well I'm adamant because I knew a lot of things back then and he was a little unprofessional prick.

The Brian Flynn era on 20:50 - Feb 11 with 1261 viewsGroo

I remember getting irritated with all the gossip being peddled at the time by people who probably knew nothing. Though they were proven right that a change was needed, I thought the level of criticism was deplorable, especially after he saved our league status the previous year.

That year he took over our first 13 games were 1 win 5 draws and 7 defeats, 8 points and bottom of the league.

Flynn took over after 9 games 1 win, 3 draws and 5 defeats and bottom. His first 4 games were 2 draws and 2 defeats. Then he had to rebuild the team, Flynn gave debuts to 21 players from then until the end of the season
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 20:55]

The Brian Flynn era on 20:51 - Feb 11 with 1259 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 20:48 - Feb 11 by Kilkennyjack

Roger would have been OK had he not been injured.

The Brian Flynn era on 20:52 - Feb 11 with 1247 viewsHighjack

The Brian Flynn era on 20:48 - Feb 11 by Kilkennyjack

Kevin Nugent, Marc Richards, both scored vital goals. Especially up in Rochdale otherwise we never would have had the chance to stay up against hull.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Brian Flynn era on 20:53 - Feb 11 with 1248 viewsvetchonian

I quess we can all have some issues with a manager or two in our history but to be fair Flynn did put us back on the road to recovery. The board quite rightly dismissed him due the the "distance" issues but as has been said he brought in some key personnel who were to shape our future,Kevin Reeves, Tate,Roberto ,Leon Trundle to name few

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Brian Flynn era on 20:54 - Feb 11 with 1243 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 20:52 - Feb 11 by Highjack

Kevin Nugent, Marc Richards, both scored vital goals. Especially up in Rochdale otherwise we never would have had the chance to stay up against hull.

Yeah you'd think Flynn would have been with the players the night before and the following morning for that one wouldn't you?

The Brian Flynn era on 20:55 - Feb 11 with 1239 viewslondonlisa2001

The Brian Flynn era on 20:52 - Feb 11 by Highjack

Will never forget listening to that match on pal talk. Was absolutely distraught at one point and screaming when we won - I knew we'd do it at that stage at home.

That was the game that kept us up, not Hull in my opinion (if you know what I mean). Put it in our own hands.
The Brian Flynn era on 21:00 - Feb 11 with 1234 viewsmonmouth

The Brian Flynn era on 20:50 - Feb 11 by Darran

Well I'm adamant because I knew a lot of things back then and he was a little unprofessional prick.

I can't argue with that as I have no knowledge. If he was that bad though wouldn't he have lost the players?And does it mean he deserves no credit. Some managers might have done better, some might have killed us.

It would have been easy for them to really lose heart at various points if they weren't committed. I gave up hope after Exeter home. I was a rubbish supporter then, which is why I'd never give in before death again. Players dug very deep though.

The Brian Flynn era on 21:01 - Feb 11 with 1231 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 21:00 - Feb 11 by monmouth

I can't argue with that as I have no knowledge. If he was that bad though wouldn't he have lost the players?And does it mean he deserves no credit. Some managers might have done better, some might have killed us.

It would have been easy for them to really lose heart at various points if they weren't committed. I gave up hope after Exeter home. I was a rubbish supporter then, which is why I'd never give in before death again. Players dug very deep though.

I've not sad had desreves no credit but if he'd been doing his job properly it would never have come down to the last game.

The Brian Flynn era on 21:05 - Feb 11 with 1221 viewsmonmouth

The Brian Flynn era on 21:01 - Feb 11 by Darran

I've not sad had desreves no credit but if he'd been doing his job properly it would never have come down to the last game.

Ah right fair enough.

Could argue then that we should thank him profusely for being responsible for one of our greatest ever memories?

#statue

The Brian Flynn era on 21:05 - Feb 11 with 1218 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 21:05 - Feb 11 by monmouth

Ah right fair enough.

Could argue then that we should thank him profusely for being responsible for one of our greatest ever memories?

#statue

Make sure it's not full size like Ivor's.

The Brian Flynn era on 22:27 - Feb 11 with 1150 viewsKilkennyjack

The Brian Flynn era on 20:51 - Feb 11 by Darran

Roger would have been OK had he not been injured.

Yes of course. My point was that with Roger injured, then Flynn did well to get Cutler in. A sub standard keeper then .....and we were doomed. Fair play to Mr Flynn.

Beware of the Risen People

The Brian Flynn era on 23:24 - Feb 11 with 1106 viewsSwanseajill

The Brian Flynn era on 22:27 - Feb 11 by Kilkennyjack

Yes of course. My point was that with Roger injured, then Flynn did well to get Cutler in. A sub standard keeper then .....and we were doomed. Fair play to Mr Flynn.

Fairer play to Kevin Reeves who was at all the training sessions, travelled with the players to away matches...and home again.
Actually knew the names of his squad players, and had the novel idea of actually living in the area.

There is really more to a quality playing squad than one man that can get us out of trouble. It's an all round effort of the back room staff, the physio's etc. KR was a true professional who nurtured those players to push that much harder, obviously taking instructions from BF.
I find it hard to understand why so many fans think all our efforts are due to one man rather than the collected efforts of everyone involved on the staff as a whole.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 23:29]
The Brian Flynn era on 23:27 - Feb 11 with 1106 viewsAngelRangelQS

Flynn had to change basically the entire squad. By the end of the season the cusack signings had either been released or rotting away. Reid, Theobald, Smith (lb), Michael Jackson, Jamie Wood, Matt Murphy, Jon Keavney... I bet none of them even made the bench after Christmas... You can't just change an entire team mid season and expect instant results.

The players who made the biggest impact weren't signed until the November at the earliest so it's not like we had Leon, Tate, Martinez, Richards, Johnrose from September... And don't forget Leon, Tate and Richards were teenagers
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 23:32]
The Brian Flynn era on 00:12 - Feb 12 with 1065 viewsTNT

Firstly, there's the one-two, one-two goal that Flynn scored v Scotland at Onion Park, that lives on in the memory!

Then, Flynn / Reeves giving me Leon Britton and all that ensued from that acquisition. People criticise the use of the word legend on here, but surely he is exactly that.

Lee Trundle - Ditto.

Some may say Tatey, too, and I won't argue with that.

Some may say Martinez, see beyond the vitriol, and I won't argue with that either.

Andy Robinson - I loved watching him play for The Swans too.

I'm sure Flynn had his faults, like us all, but I hold the guy in high esteem.

My memory of Nick Cusack, is that of a guy who played centre back, central midfield and centre forward, to try and help my team / club through some pretty 'dark days'.

Both Flynn and Cusack, oft much maligned in my eyes, deserve more than a little credit IMHO.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

The Brian Flynn era on 01:02 - Feb 12 with 1037 viewsStarsky

The Brian Flynn era on 23:24 - Feb 11 by Swanseajill

Fairer play to Kevin Reeves who was at all the training sessions, travelled with the players to away matches...and home again.
Actually knew the names of his squad players, and had the novel idea of actually living in the area.

There is really more to a quality playing squad than one man that can get us out of trouble. It's an all round effort of the back room staff, the physio's etc. KR was a true professional who nurtured those players to push that much harder, obviously taking instructions from BF.
I find it hard to understand why so many fans think all our efforts are due to one man rather than the collected efforts of everyone involved on the staff as a whole.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 23:29]

After reading all the replies to my thread, it's clear to me that Brian Flynn was found wanting in putting the hours in. I know you were pretty close to the club at this time and I hear what yoh say.
However the key players signed during his tenure set us on our way. Quite incredible really.
Somebody has to take huge credit for that.
So... Would that be the board, Reeves or Flynn?

It's just the internet, init.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024