Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books: what's everyone reading? 11:38 - Mar 21 with 22766 viewsthedrownedman

Just about to stay Shirley Jackson's 'Wer Have Always Lived in the Castle'.

The last book I read was The Killing Lessons, which was a fantastic read.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 04:10 - Mar 22 with 2660 viewsjackedup

"Schooling and the Politics of Disaster" by Kenneth Saltman

Here is a description of the book from Amazon:

"Schooling and the Politics of Disaster is the first volume to address how disaster is being used for a radical social and economic reengineering of education. From the natural disasters of the Asian tsunami and the hurricanes in the Gulf Coast, to the human-made disasters in Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, Sudan, Indonesia, the United States and around the globe, disaster is increasingly shaping policy and politics. This groundbreaking collection explores how education policy is being reshaped by disaster politics. Noted scholars in education and sociology tackle issues as far-ranging as No Child Left Behind, the War on Terror, Hurricane Katrina, the making of educational funding crises in the US, and the Iraq War to bring to light a disturbing new phenonmemon in educational policy."

It is a disturbing, yet very interesting and thought-provoking book. Very insightful and perceptive, too.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 06:59 - Mar 22 with 2639 viewsjackal

Books: what's everyone reading? on 21:05 - Mar 21 by morningstar

Slightly off topic, but I came across this and thought of you. If you have a spare 7.52 mins put on a pair of headphones and take it in. A brilliant masterpiece by the late John Barry OBE.

[Post edited 21 Mar 2016 21:09]

Thanks for that. Stirring stuff! It's amazing how much music can enhance a film. The scene in "Zulu"when the soldiers sing "Men of Harlech" to counter the Zulu chanting is one of my favourite pieces of cinema.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:35 - Mar 22 with 2620 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Slightly off on a tangent but have just started reading the chimp paradox

Not my normal type of book with regards to it being self improvement and about the human mind but got recommended top me and a very interesting read if anyone likes that type of stuff

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:34 - Mar 22 with 2602 viewsGreatBritton

I tend to alternate between good but quite heavy books (War & Peace, A Brief History of 7 Killings, American Pastoral) and lighter but well written fiction (Ian Banks, Val McDiarmid etc)
Currently trying new spy fiction - Charles Cumming's A Colder War. Good stuff, especially if you appreciate writers like John Le Carre. The genre ran out of steam a bit after Gorbachev but Cummings is reviving it by tackling Syria, Turkey etc.
For those of you who think you can only learn from non-fiction, I learned more from Nicholas Nickleby than from Mayhew's London Labour and the London Poor. I'm learning more about Turkey now too than if I watched a documentary or googled it
Books: what's everyone reading? on 15:55 - Mar 22 with 2572 viewsBloodyhills

At the moment am reading 'Agincourt' by Ranulph Fiennnes and Deutschestunde by Siegfried Lenz.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 16:51 - Mar 22 with 2557 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Books: what's everyone reading? on 15:55 - Mar 22 by Bloodyhills

At the moment am reading 'Agincourt' by Ranulph Fiennnes and Deutschestunde by Siegfried Lenz.

Interesting selections. Fiennes gets hammered for being self regarding in the reviews - are you finding it that way?

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:46 - Mar 22 with 2542 viewsBloodyhills

Books: what's everyone reading? on 16:51 - Mar 22 by NeiltheTaylor

Interesting selections. Fiennes gets hammered for being self regarding in the reviews - are you finding it that way?

I think he was asked to write it from the point of view of his family as he has a load of ancestors who fought on both sides and a lot of it does seem to be about how his lot did this and that for a few hundred years before even getting to Agincourt. Comes across as name dropping and he likes to slip in his own experiences a bit, such as blowing up a dam on a film set. It's an OK book but considering it's written by an ex squadie and explorer it doesn't really take you there.

For me a much more vivid and interesting read is 'Agincourt: The King, the Campaign, the Battle' by Juliet Barker.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2016 20:00]

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:11 - Mar 22 with 2526 viewssherpajacob

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:46 - Mar 22 by Bloodyhills

I think he was asked to write it from the point of view of his family as he has a load of ancestors who fought on both sides and a lot of it does seem to be about how his lot did this and that for a few hundred years before even getting to Agincourt. Comes across as name dropping and he likes to slip in his own experiences a bit, such as blowing up a dam on a film set. It's an OK book but considering it's written by an ex squadie and explorer it doesn't really take you there.

For me a much more vivid and interesting read is 'Agincourt: The King, the Campaign, the Battle' by Juliet Barker.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2016 20:00]

Of course agincourt, that greatest of English victories was mainly won thanks to Welsh bowmen.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Login to get fewer ads

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:15 - Mar 22 with 2525 viewslondonlisa2001

As so many on here are obviously lovers of history, I have really enjoyed over the last year the new translation by Tom Holland of The Histories by Herodotus.

Although it sounds a bit arsey, it's unbelievably gripping and a great read and I found it a fascinating account of a history that I for one had almost no knowledge of. It manages to mix the goings on of the time with quite gossipy anecdote. Really worth the time (it's pretty big and you can look a bit of a prat reading it on the tube)!!
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:34 - Mar 22 with 2517 viewsexiledclaseboy

I love these threads. No one ever admits to reading the latest best selling paperback by some famous author. It's all earnest history reads etc.

Sycamore Row by John Grisham.

Poll: Tory leader

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:37 - Mar 22 with 2514 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:15 - Mar 22 by londonlisa2001

As so many on here are obviously lovers of history, I have really enjoyed over the last year the new translation by Tom Holland of The Histories by Herodotus.

Although it sounds a bit arsey, it's unbelievably gripping and a great read and I found it a fascinating account of a history that I for one had almost no knowledge of. It manages to mix the goings on of the time with quite gossipy anecdote. Really worth the time (it's pretty big and you can look a bit of a prat reading it on the tube)!!

Tom Holland is a genius! Have you read The Vampyre, Lisa? If you haven't make that top of your list on your next holiday. It's inspired.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:38 - Mar 22 with 2513 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:34 - Mar 22 by exiledclaseboy

I love these threads. No one ever admits to reading the latest best selling paperback by some famous author. It's all earnest history reads etc.

I for one love a John Grisham, but the last one I read was a bit crap (Grey Mountain, possibly Gray Mountain) ?

I did enjoy the new Adele Parks on holiday, but being one of the only girls on here, dont bother to recommend Chick Lit :-)
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:44 - Mar 22 with 2507 viewsLohengrin

There are only the same handful of contributors to these threads, Clase, and they tend to have a genuine interest in literature. That's not the target audience for pot-boilers.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:46 - Mar 22 with 2506 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:37 - Mar 22 by Lohengrin

Tom Holland is a genius! Have you read The Vampyre, Lisa? If you haven't make that top of your list on your next holiday. It's inspired.

Oh that looks good ! I'll get that one - haven't read any of his stuff before until the Herodotus was in my Christmas stocking and I loved it (I know it's a translation rather than him, but I like his style of writing).
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:50 - Mar 22 with 2496 viewsexiledclaseboy

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:44 - Mar 22 by Lohengrin

There are only the same handful of contributors to these threads, Clase, and they tend to have a genuine interest in literature. That's not the target audience for pot-boilers.

Ooh, hark at Mr Condescending. It's possible to read both light fiction and other stuff dontcha know.

Poll: Tory leader

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:52 - Mar 22 with 2106 viewsTheArtChappy

I m enjoying reading r a salvatore, terry brooks. At the moment
John connolly are very good, a bit gory
and I do like listening to audio books.

The Art Chappy A.K.A Chris Chapman
Poll: should 3pm kick offs be allowed to be brocasted live

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:53 - Mar 22 with 2106 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:44 - Mar 22 by Lohengrin

I like a mixture of both to be fair (although as I say, I don't think the audience for chick lit on this site is vast)!!

Of the thriller type stuff the ones I always enjoy are the Lee Child books, the Harlan Coben books, Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley books, and I always loved the Jonathan Kellerman books (although haven't read any for ages). I used to like Patricia Cornwall although she turned a bit rubbish and I like Jeffrey Deaver as well (again, haven't read any for ages).

Of the easy read non fiction, I always like Bill Bryson (re read A Walk in The Woods on holiday as I saw the film on the plane and remembered how much I enjoyed it and it was on my kindle).
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:53 - Mar 22 with 2105 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:50 - Mar 22 by exiledclaseboy

Ooh, hark at Mr Condescending. It's possible to read both light fiction and other stuff dontcha know.

Nothing condescending about it. It's the same dozen or so every time there's a thread like this and I've yet to read that anybody was excited because Dan Brown had something new coming out.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:55 - Mar 22 with 2103 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:53 - Mar 22 by londonlisa2001

I like a mixture of both to be fair (although as I say, I don't think the audience for chick lit on this site is vast)!!

Of the thriller type stuff the ones I always enjoy are the Lee Child books, the Harlan Coben books, Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley books, and I always loved the Jonathan Kellerman books (although haven't read any for ages). I used to like Patricia Cornwall although she turned a bit rubbish and I like Jeffrey Deaver as well (again, haven't read any for ages).

Of the easy read non fiction, I always like Bill Bryson (re read A Walk in The Woods on holiday as I saw the film on the plane and remembered how much I enjoyed it and it was on my kindle).

Can you imagine how insanely pleased Bryson must have been to have Robert Redford play him on film?

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:56 - Mar 22 with 2101 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:53 - Mar 22 by Lohengrin

Nothing condescending about it. It's the same dozen or so every time there's a thread like this and I've yet to read that anybody was excited because Dan Brown had something new coming out.

Can't beat a bit of Da Vinci Code - shame is that he could never repeat it !!
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:56 - Mar 22 with 2101 viewsNeiltheTaylor

I only really reads books that are recommended or given to me. The rest are wiki reads or LRB synopsis - otherwise I wait for the film or mini series of the books you like ;D

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:59 - Mar 22 with 2093 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:56 - Mar 22 by londonlisa2001

Can't beat a bit of Da Vinci Code - shame is that he could never repeat it !!

That was a completely shameless rip off of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail. Wholesale plagiarism.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:00 - Mar 22 with 2090 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:55 - Mar 22 by Lohengrin

Can you imagine how insanely pleased Bryson must have been to have Robert Redford play him on film?

A friend of mine knows him quite well (friends of his parents in Norfolk). Apparently he is a lovely bloke which doesn't surprise me as it comes across that way in his books. Equally apparently he doesn't look like Robert Redford nor his wife like Emma Thompson :-)
Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:01 - Mar 22 with 2084 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:59 - Mar 22 by Lohengrin

That was a completely shameless rip off of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail. Wholesale plagiarism.

Dan Brown's was a better title at least...

...doesn't give the twist away
[Post edited 22 Mar 2016 20:02]

Books: what's everyone reading? on 20:01 - Mar 22 with 2084 viewsBloodyhills

Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:11 - Mar 22 by sherpajacob

Of course agincourt, that greatest of English victories was mainly won thanks to Welsh bowmen.

...and a very muddy field.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024