Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some Smoke but No Fire 17:41 - Apr 10 with 6584 viewsCaliforniaJack

After reading targeted posts on Jason Levien yesterday and the subsequent concern it has caused I took some time to find out what was going on at DC United. It would seem that DC United Supporters group are disgruntled due to a fan being banned for one year for setting off a smoke device at their stadium, stating that the previous front office club staff would not have been "fan unfriendly" ...

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/dc-united-fans-club-tension-fan-banned-ye

While I understand concern over the possible shareholder buy out and the need for all key stakeholders involved to proceed cautiously (the goal should be that the deal suits the club) - I believe this has been blown out of all proportion by certain individuals.

We all recognize that for the club to grow and thrive in the EPL legitimate and appropriate investment is essential. I would urge that we not lose sight of this fact and show that we have shaken off the "graveyard of ambition" tag.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:53 - Apr 10 with 5025 viewsItchySphincter

Hiya Jason!

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:54 - Apr 10 with 5012 viewsdobjack2

I am sure that the trust will be looking into these people.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:55 - Apr 10 with 4996 viewsexiledclaseboy

I f*cking despise that "graveyard of ambition" cliche that gets trotted out every time someone talk about Swansea.

Poll: Tory leader

Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:56 - Apr 10 with 4991 viewsDavillin

Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:54 - Apr 10 by dobjack2

I am sure that the trust will be looking into these people.

add: "objectively and carefully."

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:57 - Apr 10 with 4968 viewsHighjack

Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:55 - Apr 10 by exiledclaseboy

I f*cking despise that "graveyard of ambition" cliche that gets trotted out every time someone talk about Swansea.

Yeah especially when it originally came from a pissed up poet in the 30's who spent most of his life being sick in a gutter.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:06 - Apr 10 with 4922 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I just wrote something similar on the breaking news post.
These 2 buyers "appear" to have improved the Memphis Grizzlies by imroving their playing results.
Please note I am not endorsing these Buyers, as I still think this may not be for the long term good of the club.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:09 - Apr 10 with 4909 viewsexiledclaseboy

Some Smoke but No Fire on 17:57 - Apr 10 by Highjack

Yeah especially when it originally came from a pissed up poet in the 30's who spent most of his life being sick in a gutter.

I don't actually think it was a Thomas quote. Everyone just thinks it was

Poll: Tory leader

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:10 - Apr 10 with 4883 viewsHighjack

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:09 - Apr 10 by exiledclaseboy

Probably. I'm no expert, I think all poetry is a big pile of steaming shyte which should be burned in a big fire.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:12 - Apr 10 with 4877 viewsmax936

Oldjacks a poet, when did that happen

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:24 - Apr 10 with 4795 viewsDafyddHuw

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:10 - Apr 10 by Highjack

Probably. I'm no expert, I think all poetry is a big pile of steaming shyte which should be burned in a big fire.

Try John Cooper-Clarke
Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:24 - Apr 10 with 4795 viewsAnotherJohn

I think that it right. Actually I always assumed the phrase had positive connotations, suggesting that once a person settled in our beautiful city, s/he would want to stay, even if career advancement would require moving somewhere else. I moved, but always wanted to come back and finally managed it.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:26 - Apr 10 with 4775 viewsmonmouth

It is Thomas isn't it? But as I understood it, it's meant to convey that Swansea is the culmination of the journey rather than a negative. Swansea destroys your ambition because you should want nothing more. All in the way you wish to interpret it I guess.

It does tend to get trotted out by brainless dipsticks trying to create emotive arguments for spurious schemes. Coming to a Wales Online link near you...

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:27 - Apr 10 with 4763 viewsmonmouth

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:10 - Apr 10 by Highjack

Are you sure you're not thinking of HR?

Some Smoke but No Fire on 22:51 - Apr 10 with 4423 viewsunion_jack

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:24 - Apr 10 by AnotherJohn

I think that it right. Actually I always assumed the phrase had positive connotations, suggesting that once a person settled in our beautiful city, s/he would want to stay, even if career advancement would require moving somewhere else. I moved, but always wanted to come back and finally managed it.

This is precisely the definition. It seems to have been accepted in a more negative way unfortunately.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Some Smoke but No Fire on 23:03 - Apr 10 with 4392 viewsblueytheblue

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:26 - Apr 10 by monmouth

It is Thomas isn't it? But as I understood it, it's meant to convey that Swansea is the culmination of the journey rather than a negative. Swansea destroys your ambition because you should want nothing more. All in the way you wish to interpret it I guess.

It does tend to get trotted out by brainless dipsticks trying to create emotive arguments for spurious schemes. Coming to a Wales Online link near you...

No, "Graveyard of ambition" wasn't a Dylan Thomas quote. It's a myth that took on it's own life.

Even Plaid got it wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13049127

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Some Smoke but No Fire on 23:22 - Apr 10 with 4339 viewsmonmouth

Some Smoke but No Fire on 23:03 - Apr 10 by blueytheblue

No, "Graveyard of ambition" wasn't a Dylan Thomas quote. It's a myth that took on it's own life.

Even Plaid got it wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13049127

That's 'ambition is critical'

It says 'no evidence that Dylan Thomas spoke the words' Graveyard of ambition which isn't the same as saying it didn't come from him. I thought caitlin said he did coin it but I must have got that wrong. I wonder who did then.

Some Smoke but No Fire on 23:24 - Apr 10 with 4335 viewsblueytheblue

Some Smoke but No Fire on 23:22 - Apr 10 by monmouth

That's 'ambition is critical'

It says 'no evidence that Dylan Thomas spoke the words' Graveyard of ambition which isn't the same as saying it didn't come from him. I thought caitlin said he did coin it but I must have got that wrong. I wonder who did then.

Yeah, I was referring to the latter part. Possibly, having been replying to skippy my brains is doing a Speith at the moment.

The whole GoA quote is almost certainly one of those urban myths with no proving either way but it sounds good so roll with it.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Some Smoke but No Fire on 23:29 - Apr 10 with 4321 viewsmonmouth

Some Smoke but No Fire on 23:24 - Apr 10 by blueytheblue

Yeah, I was referring to the latter part. Possibly, having been replying to skippy my brains is doing a Speith at the moment.

The whole GoA quote is almost certainly one of those urban myths with no proving either way but it sounds good so roll with it.

Coincidentally I think it was something some supposed expert said last year up at Hay, but I couldn't swear to it. It's so easy to propogate a myth really.

Some Smoke but No Fire on 01:27 - Apr 11 with 4203 viewsjacktar

Nothing wrong with being sick in a gutter mun. Just watch you don't cover your shoes like.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Some Smoke but No Fire on 05:39 - Apr 11 with 4142 viewsDr_Winston

"We all recognize that for the club to grow and thrive in the EPL legitimate and appropriate investment is essential"

Investment in what? From who? What will they want in return?

We managed perfectly fine without external investment before. It's only since we stopped being the smartest club out there and started making stupid decisions (curiously about the time that initial contact with the likes of Noell and Moores would have been made) that the wheels have started wobbling and threatened to come off.

There is undoubtedly room for improvement in the income we generate for ourselves, but otherwise there's no reason why we can't continue to compete at this level without "investment". That whole excuse just stinks of bullsh*t justification.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Some Smoke but No Fire on 11:17 - Apr 11 with 3853 viewsDewi1jack

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:27 - Apr 10 by monmouth

Are you sure you're not thinking of HR?

Add over the top H & S and political correctness and we've got no requirements for any more bird killers, sorry, windfarms.

DafyddHuw.
Forgotten about JCC the punk poet.
Still have some of his stuff on vinyl. Will have to dig it out and have a listen
Thank you. excellent call

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Some Smoke but No Fire on 11:27 - Apr 11 with 3831 viewssammylee3

FIRE FIRE FIRE, "he's a bad guy", US journo on Levien takeover "wow, good luck with that".

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4586601-grizzlies-ceo-jason-levien-fired-fr

http://www.canishoopus.com/2015/11/13/9728094/glen-taylor-negotiating-sale-of-mi
Some Smoke but No Fire on 11:51 - Apr 11 with 3794 viewsNookiejack

Some Smoke but No Fire on 11:27 - Apr 11 by sammylee3

FIRE FIRE FIRE, "he's a bad guy", US journo on Levien takeover "wow, good luck with that".

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4586601-grizzlies-ceo-jason-levien-fired-fr

http://www.canishoopus.com/2015/11/13/9728094/glen-taylor-negotiating-sale-of-mi

I just don't understand how our Board could consider selling to a person with this reputation.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:28 - Apr 11 with 3716 viewsjasper_T

Some Smoke but No Fire on 05:39 - Apr 11 by Dr_Winston

"We all recognize that for the club to grow and thrive in the EPL legitimate and appropriate investment is essential"

Investment in what? From who? What will they want in return?

We managed perfectly fine without external investment before. It's only since we stopped being the smartest club out there and started making stupid decisions (curiously about the time that initial contact with the likes of Noell and Moores would have been made) that the wheels have started wobbling and threatened to come off.

There is undoubtedly room for improvement in the income we generate for ourselves, but otherwise there's no reason why we can't continue to compete at this level without "investment". That whole excuse just stinks of bullsh*t justification.

With the works on facilities wrapping up, and the tv money increasing again, the club is going to be more profitable than ever.

Investment is only essential if you regard the stadium purchase and expansion as essential. Which it isn't. The deal we have in place is extremely cheap and the limited capacity doesn't harm the club's bottom line at all. Gate receipts are a small fraction of turnover, and the largest audience for new generations of fans is reached through tv/internet coverage. 5-6k new seats that won't always be filled isn't worth £30-40m of new debt.
Some Smoke but No Fire on 12:39 - Apr 11 with 3667 viewsDafyddHuw

Some Smoke but No Fire on 18:24 - Apr 10 by AnotherJohn

Yes, you're right on both counts. Not Dylan Thomas & meant positively - i.e. once you've lived here you don't wanna leave.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024