Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BHS The end of an era 13:55 - Apr 25 with 4646 viewsLord_Bony

11,000 jobs to go including the closure of the Swansea branch.

The present owners bought it for a pound off Philip Greene took out a couple of million for themselves then put it into administration...that's not right..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36123444

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

BHS The end of an era on 20:22 - Apr 25 with 1151 viewsblueytheblue

BHS The end of an era on 20:18 - Apr 25 by Lord_Bony

Over £1,6 billion gone missing ,half a billion of which is the employees pension funds..it seems he and the new people have siphoned off money left right and centre making the business unsustainable.

Has it gone "missing", an emotive claim or is the pot not as it was expected? Big difference given most pensions are backed by investments. Which funnily enough can go up or down. Reality is, people living longer drain pension funds.

The business was I'd suggest more unsustainable by people not f***ing shopping there - buying things cheaper online for example makes traditional high street businesses unsustainable.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

BHS The end of an era on 20:34 - Apr 25 with 1138 viewsLord_Bony

If it was in the right hands there was a good chance it could have been turned around...the business model was out dated but it could have been revamped and relaunched.Many leading retailers have said the same thing.

164 stores in the UK and more abroad put it in a good position.

The problem is the last lot who bought it for a pound paid themselves millions and then put the whole lot into administration...no one even saw it coming. That is what makes this so annoying.

I will guarantee that every person who has worked there for years will not get anywhere near the pension they were promised.

11,000 jobs gone in a day from a company that has been trading since 1928 is a bitter pill to swallow for the UK.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

BHS The end of an era on 20:40 - Apr 25 with 1122 viewsEbo

BHS The end of an era on 20:22 - Apr 25 by blueytheblue

Has it gone "missing", an emotive claim or is the pot not as it was expected? Big difference given most pensions are backed by investments. Which funnily enough can go up or down. Reality is, people living longer drain pension funds.

The business was I'd suggest more unsustainable by people not f***ing shopping there - buying things cheaper online for example makes traditional high street businesses unsustainable.

I knew you'd pop up on here and defend this tory scumbag. Filth.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

BHS The end of an era on 20:40 - Apr 25 with 1126 viewsblueytheblue

Nobody will get the pension they expected. People failed to factor in aging populations draining pension funds.

People these days buy online. Ebay, Gumtree, Amazon, numerous companies with an online only presence. You've the same(ish) number of high street stores chasing a falling number of customers. Could it have been run better, yes. Should it have modernised, yes. Would it have failed eventually anyway? Probably.

the reality is modern shopping habits are changing fairly dramatically. Businesses are going to fail.

BHS The end of an era on 20:42 - Apr 25 with 1123 viewsbuilthjack

BHS The end of an era on 19:59 - Apr 25 by blueytheblue

For what crime exactly?

Do you think its OKto pay a £400m dividend from BHS to his wife, as the pension pot for the workers disappears?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

BHS The end of an era on 20:42 - Apr 25 with 1116 viewsbuilthjack

The man has no shame. Pure greed.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

BHS The end of an era on 20:44 - Apr 25 with 1114 viewsblueytheblue

BHS The end of an era on 20:42 - Apr 25 by builthjack

Do you think its OKto pay a £400m dividend from BHS to his wife, as the pension pot for the workers disappears?

Dividends come from profits, not pension pots. Most pensions are backed by investment funds; as the stock market fluctuates so does the pension pot value.

As Lisa explained earlier, post Maxwell pension pots have been fairly well ringfenced. If you've evidence of any wrongdoing, please contact the police.

BHS The end of an era on 20:55 - Apr 25 with 1096 viewsLord_Bony

Exactly..that money could have been paid into the pension fund deficit or at least a chunk of it...now the British taxpayer will have to make up the short fall of the pension funds...hundreds of millions that could have been spent elsewhere....

Login to get fewer ads

BHS The end of an era on 20:56 - Apr 25 with 1093 viewsdailew

BHS The end of an era on 20:44 - Apr 25 by blueytheblue

Dividends come from profits, not pension pots. Most pensions are backed by investment funds; as the stock market fluctuates so does the pension pot value.

As Lisa explained earlier, post Maxwell pension pots have been fairly well ringfenced. If you've evidence of any wrongdoing, please contact the police.

Not in this case. The dividend was paid by using a loan.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2e6e4f3a-41d0-11da-a45d-00000e2511c8.html

"Arcadia, which he bought three years ago for £866m, only made a pre-tax profit of £253m, up from £246m the year before, on sales of £1.77bn (£1.66bn). To finance the £1.3bn total dividend payment, he has borrowed about £1bn, dwarfing the net cash flow of £404m (£365m) for the year to August 27."

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

BHS The end of an era on 21:00 - Apr 25 with 1082 viewsbuilthjack

BHS The end of an era on 20:44 - Apr 25 by blueytheblue

He'sas bad as Maxwell bluey. One day soon .

BHS The end of an era on 21:03 - Apr 25 with 1076 viewsblueytheblue

BHS The end of an era on 21:00 - Apr 25 by builthjack

He'sas bad as Maxwell bluey. One day soon .

If he's done anything untoward and illegal, then as always I condemn him... my point being a lot of angst from the Mirror et al is politically driven more than anything else.

BHS The end of an era on 21:09 - Apr 25 with 1064 viewslondonlisa2001

It wasn't from BHS as I've already said - it was from another of his companies.

However, again as I've said - it was an appalling use (though entirely legal) of tax loopholes which should be closed.
BHS The end of an era on 21:10 - Apr 25 with 1062 viewsLord_Bony

BHS The end of an era on 21:03 - Apr 25 by blueytheblue

If he's done anything untoward and illegal, then as always I condemn him... my point being a lot of angst from the Mirror et al is politically driven more than anything else.

The guy is a Tory well protected by Cameron and adored by Tories across the land.

His business model is take over a large company,keep borrowing on its behalf then pay to self,refinance the business and pay more to self and shareholders....ad infinitum until the debt of the company is so huge it cannot be paid back then the tax payer is left to foot the bill.

Most criticism of him is not politically driven its just observation of his practices which are only just within the law...

BHS The end of an era on 21:11 - Apr 25 with 1060 viewslondonlisa2001

BHS The end of an era on 20:34 - Apr 25 by Lord_Bony

If it was in the right hands there was a good chance it could have been turned around...the business model was out dated but it could have been revamped and relaunched.Many leading retailers have said the same thing.

164 stores in the UK and more abroad put it in a good position.

The problem is the last lot who bought it for a pound paid themselves millions and then put the whole lot into administration...no one even saw it coming. That is what makes this so annoying.

I will guarantee that every person who has worked there for years will not get anywhere near the pension they were promised.

11,000 jobs gone in a day from a company that has been trading since 1928 is a bitter pill to swallow for the UK.

As I said earlier, the only way it could have survived was by following the John Lewis model. The workers have been let down by the people at the top lacking vision in my view - it's very sad for all of them.
BHS The end of an era on 21:13 - Apr 25 with 1056 viewslondonlisa2001

BHS The end of an era on 20:56 - Apr 25 by dailew

"Arcadia, which he bought three years ago for £866m, only made a pre-tax profit of £253m, up from £246m the year before, on sales of £1.77bn (£1.66bn). To finance the £1.3bn total dividend payment, he has borrowed about £1bn, dwarfing the net cash flow of £404m (£365m) for the year to August 27."

That's the cash element - you can only pay dividends if there are sufficient retained profits.

Don't get me wrong - it was awful, I'm just saying what the mechanics were.
BHS The end of an era on 21:14 - Apr 25 with 864 viewsLord_Bony

BHS The end of an era on 21:11 - Apr 25 by londonlisa2001

As I said earlier, the only way it could have survived was by following the John Lewis model. The workers have been let down by the people at the top lacking vision in my view - it's very sad for all of them.

Even the government should have had fair warning of what was coming and could at least come up with some plan to salvage the situation.

The problem is these pirates were out for themselves and just pulled the plug after plundering the kitty.

BHS The end of an era on 21:19 - Apr 25 with 853 viewsItchySphincter

BHS The end of an era on 20:56 - Apr 25 by dailew

Paid by using a loan for cash maybe but not paid from money raised from a loan.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

BHS The end of an era on 21:21 - Apr 25 with 849 viewsbuilthjack

BHS The end of an era on 21:09 - Apr 25 by londonlisa2001

It wasn't from BHS as I've already said - it was from another of his companies.

However, again as I've said - it was an appalling use (though entirely legal) of tax loopholes which should be closed.

Pure greed from thieving bstds who always want more and more Lisa.

BHS The end of an era on 22:13 - Apr 25 with 810 viewsJack123

I was reading somewhere that the ones who bought it off Greene for a quid, give themselves an 8.4 million loan , when the firm was on its ars*..All stinks to me.. http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/04/owners-84-million-pound-loan-fro

Tell you something though, I can still remember the food hall they had there back in the 70s when I was a kid..Best cream cakes in Swansea :)

libera nos a malo

BHS The end of an era on 22:16 - Apr 25 with 804 viewssiralan

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/13/sir-philip-green-bhs-pension-sch

He has offered £80 million but may be forced to pay £280 million back.

I also remember the cakes sold there my mother used to get me orange gateaux as a treat
when I was about 12 from there.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2016 22:19]
BHS The end of an era on 11:04 - Apr 26 with 713 viewsfather_jack

genuinely like going back 20 years if u go in the one in town.

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

BHS The end of an era on 11:10 - Apr 26 with 706 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Light fittings.

F**k all else......

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

BHS The end of an era on 11:30 - Apr 26 with 697 viewsfather_jack

exactly what i went in to buy

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

BHS The end of an era on 13:41 - Apr 26 with 657 viewsLoyal

Pharmacies flourish in the modern 24 hr era.
Scripts galore.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

BHS The end of an era on 18:55 - Apr 26 with 728 viewsLord_Bony

I called into the Newport branch today out of curiosity and I have to say...jeez..it was like shopping in the 70s I dont think anything has changed except decimalization on the price tags.

The place was grubby,plain and run down...its obvious the company needed investment put back in not money taken out. Huge store but what a waste of space,yes they love their light fitting dept there as well!

In my opinion that brand and their stores could have been turned around big time if someone had put in the TLC required and sold things that were more flavour of the month....the place was packed out and the tills busy...albeit for mainly the senior citizens.

What a waste of another great British institution.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024