Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby forum discussing Clement 00:59 - Jan 6 with 10456 viewsStarsky

see link...
https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/24770-paul-clement/

It's just the internet, init.

Derby forum discussing Clement on 08:26 - Jan 6 with 6095 viewsFieryJack

Very interesting read.

Looks like Clement is into highly structured, possession-based game, with players under strict instructions not to make any passes unless they're 99% sure they'll reach their target. Bit like Rodgers style, where we tried to walk it into the net. Note how Clement said in his press conference that he would ensure that every player knew exactly (he really emphasised that word) what his role would be. Don't think free-flowing football is on the way, lads.

Still, I think he'll steady the ship, and I'm quietly confident we won't be plummeting down the leagues under Clement, even if we do slip into the Championship.

Various Derby fans have described it as a dull, tedious, mediocre spectacle, where we may have 75% possession and end up scraping a 1-0 win (or lose by the same margin). At least our goal difference will improve, anyway.

Hmm...not sure about this one. Obviously there are pros and cons to this style of play - the biggest con being that players are too terrified to express themselves, to take a chance when it arises. Will be pretty frustrating if we're on the edge of the box & our player, in a good attacking position, is too frightened to go for goal, and instead elects for a safe backwards pass. Can hear the groans around the Liberty already.

Side note: why the hell can't we have a forum as sensible & adult & literate as that Derby one? It puts us to shame (me excepted, of course). It makes us look like a bunch of squabbling adolescents!
Derby forum discussing Clement on 08:44 - Jan 6 with 6023 views34dfgdf54

Derby forum discussing Clement on 08:26 - Jan 6 by FieryJack

Very interesting read.

Looks like Clement is into highly structured, possession-based game, with players under strict instructions not to make any passes unless they're 99% sure they'll reach their target. Bit like Rodgers style, where we tried to walk it into the net. Note how Clement said in his press conference that he would ensure that every player knew exactly (he really emphasised that word) what his role would be. Don't think free-flowing football is on the way, lads.

Still, I think he'll steady the ship, and I'm quietly confident we won't be plummeting down the leagues under Clement, even if we do slip into the Championship.

Various Derby fans have described it as a dull, tedious, mediocre spectacle, where we may have 75% possession and end up scraping a 1-0 win (or lose by the same margin). At least our goal difference will improve, anyway.

Hmm...not sure about this one. Obviously there are pros and cons to this style of play - the biggest con being that players are too terrified to express themselves, to take a chance when it arises. Will be pretty frustrating if we're on the edge of the box & our player, in a good attacking position, is too frightened to go for goal, and instead elects for a safe backwards pass. Can hear the groans around the Liberty already.

Side note: why the hell can't we have a forum as sensible & adult & literate as that Derby one? It puts us to shame (me excepted, of course). It makes us look like a bunch of squabbling adolescents!

Sousa ball it looks like.

Doesn't bother me to be honest, Sousa got us organised defensively and that is what we need in a big way now.

I liked what he said in his interview regarding the defence, put big pressure on himself saying we will not be conceding 3,4 or 5 goals under his guidance. Very confident in his own ability.
Derby forum discussing Clement on 08:45 - Jan 6 with 6015 viewscostalotta

Derby forum discussing Clement on 08:26 - Jan 6 by FieryJack

Very interesting read.

Let's see how it goes before we judge PC.

Given where we are right now i'd take winning 1 nil with the football you describe rather than loose by 3 every week.

Plenty of us have been saying for weeks on some of the threads started by Res' about our defence needing sorting first. Thank Fugg the coach sees that too.

Remember, some mentioned Paulo Sousa a week or so ago as a return and replacement for BB. Sounds like we've got a similar coach.

We have PC now, so lets go with that!
Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:15 - Jan 6 with 5889 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

A lot of pretty positive stuff there.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:17 - Jan 6 with 5881 viewssP7qupUf

Perhaps if we had brought him in instead of Bradley we would have seen out the match at Everton and picked up a few more draws in key games and would therefore been a few places further up the table now.
Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:18 - Jan 6 with 5880 viewsTheFranchise

BR's football was no different to Sousa's, Brendan just had better finishers.
Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:24 - Jan 6 with 5852 viewssherpajacob

Sounds as if he's what we needed when Frankie left.

Baffling that PC was interviewed, yet Bob got the job.

My great fear is we scrape enough points together under PC to catch 17th place, but our goal difference from Bob's reign takes us down.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:26 - Jan 6 with 5835 viewsPrivate_Partz

Derby forum discussing Clement on 08:45 - Jan 6 by costalotta

Let's see how it goes before we judge PC.

Given where we are right now i'd take winning 1 nil with the football you describe rather than loose by 3 every week.

Plenty of us have been saying for weeks on some of the threads started by Res' about our defence needing sorting first. Thank Fugg the coach sees that too.

Remember, some mentioned Paulo Sousa a week or so ago as a return and replacement for BB. Sounds like we've got a similar coach.

We have PC now, so lets go with that!

This is correct. A good manager will adjust play to suit the players at his disposal. Frankie played it cautious as it was necessary despite his playing record showing this was not his normal style.
Just look at the sides PC has been involved in. Hardly boring defensive set ups. I doubt he is going to rip up the book of all he has learned under a top manager.
I expect caution this year. We need it with a steady ship and some wins at home. This is what is required for survival as I can't see our relegation rivals ripping up trees in the near future.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Login to get fewer ads

Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:39 - Jan 6 with 5756 viewssherpajacob

I know it's only a small.part of one game so far, but when Palace equalised, previously we would have tried to hold on for a point, (and probably lost)

We actually then got our style back and didn't give palace a look in, and based on the last 8 minutes fully deserved the winner. We certainly didn't sit back and close the game down, until after we scored.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:39 - Jan 6 with 5754 viewsicecoldjack

Sousa ball ? Do we mean the type played here where Jenkins wouldn't buy him the striker he wanted so had to make do with be a tie and Trundle .
or the type he used at fc basle where they played Liverpool off the park over 2 games playing fast one touch ala Laudrup making Rodgers ball look dated ?

Whatever product he turns out will do for me.
Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:42 - Jan 6 with 5729 viewsswancity

Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:18 - Jan 6 by TheFranchise

BR's football was no different to Sousa's, Brendan just had better finishers.

Not sure if you're being serious or not but if you are, it was totally different in every respect mate.

Can you recall how defensively set up our teams were under Sousa even at home? Even for the very last game of the season which we needed to win to reach the Championship play offs a game where he kept our only real hope of a goal on the bench until the end. Full backs instructed not to get over the half way line. Midfield players holding and not attacking. I could go on but I'm boring myself 😂

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:56 - Jan 6 with 5649 viewsJango

if Sousa had Sinclair and borini that season we may well have gone up. It was quite boring at times but he done great with what he had.
Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:05 - Jan 6 with 5601 viewsswancity

Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:56 - Jan 6 by Jango

if Sousa had Sinclair and borini that season we may well have gone up. It was quite boring at times but he done great with what he had.

Quite boring?

No, let's be clear about it. It was very boring, tedious, and enough to keep many fans away.

But bent so difficult to score against meant that the season, relatively speaking can be remembered as a success if you look at a 7th place finish. It was though appalling with zero entertainment value.

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:08 - Jan 6 with 5587 viewswaynekerr55

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:05 - Jan 6 by swancity

Quite boring?

No, let's be clear about it. It was very boring, tedious, and enough to keep many fans away.

But bent so difficult to score against meant that the season, relatively speaking can be remembered as a success if you look at a 7th place finish. It was though appalling with zero entertainment value.

I'll never forget the Watford game in March. Kuqi and Beattie bullied them, we won and we looked nailed on for the play offs.

That was also the season where Adam Johnson tore us a new one at home - before he became a nonce.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:09 - Jan 6 with 5585 viewsAngelRangelQS

PC has said in his interviews that he wants to play good football but that needs to be done with a solid defence.

He needs to be given time to tighten us up, get us organised and bring in players to suit an attractive style.

He wasn't at Derby long enough to be judged on any long term style of football
Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:34 - Jan 6 with 5486 viewsTheResurrection

Did he really spend £25m at Derby?

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:37 - Jan 6 with 5469 viewsicecoldjack

Derby forum discussing Clement on 09:56 - Jan 6 by Jango

For me the most pivotal coach of our recent history. To finish 7th with 45 goals taken out of the team with Scotland and gomez gone and a crocked ferrie bodde, and the remit from the board of " keep us up Paulo " was pretty impressive stuff.
Of course plenty of numpties thought different , but he was the right man, any other coach and im convinced we would have been fighting relegation and may have even gone down.

An incredible job considering his resources and the fact monk was stabbing him in the back .
Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:43 - Jan 6 with 5444 viewsswancity

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:37 - Jan 6 by icecoldjack

For me the most pivotal coach of our recent history. To finish 7th with 45 goals taken out of the team with Scotland and gomez gone and a crocked ferrie bodde, and the remit from the board of " keep us up Paulo " was pretty impressive stuff.
Of course plenty of numpties thought different , but he was the right man, any other coach and im convinced we would have been fighting relegation and may have even gone down.

An incredible job considering his resources and the fact monk was stabbing him in the back .

Definitely did well to finish in 7th position. Especially after the disruption during the summer.

But with a little bit more attacking intent a play off place was achievable. For example he used Trundle mainly as a sub all season and often asked him to play in a deep position. And under using him when he still managed the best minutes on the pitch to goals ratio that season ( in the entire division ).

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:58 - Jan 6 with 5396 viewsJFSwan

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:08 - Jan 6 by waynekerr55

I'll never forget the Watford game in March. Kuqi and Beattie bullied them, we won and we looked nailed on for the play offs.

That was also the season where Adam Johnson tore us a new one at home - before he became a nonce.

Didn't we lose 3-0 at home, Adam Johnson was incredible, scored two but the best goal of the game was a belter by Boro striker, Marvin Emnes
Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:08 - Jan 6 with 5355 viewswaynekerr55

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:58 - Jan 6 by JFSwan

Didn't we lose 3-0 at home, Adam Johnson was incredible, scored two but the best goal of the game was a belter by Boro striker, Marvin Emnes

Correct.

T'was the day Huw and Leigh fell in love with the marvelous one...

Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:10 - Jan 6 with 5341 viewsTheResurrection

Derby forum discussing Clement on 10:43 - Jan 6 by swancity

Definitely did well to finish in 7th position. Especially after the disruption during the summer.

But with a little bit more attacking intent a play off place was achievable. For example he used Trundle mainly as a sub all season and often asked him to play in a deep position. And under using him when he still managed the best minutes on the pitch to goals ratio that season ( in the entire division ).

I know he picked up the odd goal but Trundle looked hopeless in the Championship

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:15 - Jan 6 with 5298 viewswaynekerr55

Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:10 - Jan 6 by TheResurrection

I know he picked up the odd goal but Trundle looked hopeless in the Championship

Best striker we've ever had mun.

Scotland - lazy
Bony - same...

Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:22 - Jan 6 with 5270 viewsTheFranchise

Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:15 - Jan 6 by waynekerr55

Best striker we've ever had mun.

Scotland - lazy
Bony - same...

Don't now, I had that conversation with someone Tuesday evening.
Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:24 - Jan 6 with 5259 viewsswancity

Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:10 - Jan 6 by TheResurrection

Certainly didn't look hopeless but to me his lack of pace at that level was more of a problem for him.

Better defenders than Leagues 1 and 2 so his trickery, strength and incredible ball skill alone made it more difficult for him. Plus by then he was 32 I think. Still warranted far more involvement that season.

Derby forum discussing Clement on 11:35 - Jan 6 with 5194 viewsJackBaston

For years I've believed that Sousa was the reason Brendan was so successful in getting us promoted
Sousa laid the ground work of a solid defence, all Brendan did was bring in Sinclair and it was perfect
Took him ages to see Dobbie wasnt a striker and needed to be played in the hole

Though I do seem to recall a Coventry home game on a tuesday night, think it was December or January, where neither team had a shot on target
Froze my jewels off that night
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024