Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... 16:15 - Jan 11 with 13350 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Then it's even more certain that we're going to go down. If not this season, then the next.

Olsson is a player who has been linked with us in every window since 2014. And every time there was news about our interest in him, I dreaded it. In the 7 seasons he has played in the Premier League he has never proven that he is good enough. It's very telling that no less than 3 TIMES has a club been relegated with him as their starting left back: in the 11/12 season with Blackburn, in the 12/13 season with Norwich, and again with Norwich last season. Currently, he's hardly cutting it in the Championship.

I've been very vocal about my displeasure of seeing Neil Taylor week in and week out in the teamsheet and the need for this to be changed, but Martin Olsson should not be the one to take his place. This is an upgrade in the sense that a piece of shít has had a little sugar sprinkled on it. It's a completely negligible upgrade. Even as unbelievably atrocious as Taylor is, Olsson is hardly better.

The fact that we bought him, and paid £5m no less, is utterly fvcking ridiculous. If this is the kind of player we're going to sign, then it's crystal clear that Huw Jenkins has learned absolutely nothing from his mistakes. Still, we're throwing money at lower league players who aren't good enough at this level, and still, our recruitment is as pathetic as ever.

[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 16:06]

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:21 - Jan 11 with 7416 viewsmacthejack

There's already a thread about Martin Olsson pal.

For what it's worth I think he's a good signing and an improvement on what we have.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:21 - Jan 11 with 7396 viewsTheKirkyLife

If a player is willing to join us in the situation we're in and better than what we've got then I'm delighted. Olsson is most certainly better than Taylor, most certainly more experienced than Kingsley and even proven at this level.

If you were expecting more then no wonder you're disappointed.
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:22 - Jan 11 with 7379 viewsraynor94

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:21 - Jan 11 by macthejack

There's already a thread about Martin Olsson pal.

For what it's worth I think he's a good signing and an improvement on what we have.

Same here

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:23 - Jan 11 with 7364 viewsnantywatcher

16 lines of utter claptrap!
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:29 - Jan 11 with 7316 viewsMyFinalHeaven

The other problem I have with this is that there's a great player who's currently unattached, a real utility man who can play in every position in the back 4, a former Barcelona, Juventus, and Sevilla man who has won a treble, 5 Serie A titles, a Copa America, and made 68 caps for Uruguay: Martín Cáceres

I expressed disappointment in the summer how we didn't go after him (he's an absolute no brainer to sign), and I lament it again that we did not want him. At the moment I would take him over every defender we have in a heartbeat.

Then there's Alexander Büttner, the former Manchester United left back who was without a club after leaving Dinamo Moscow last season. He just got picked up by Vitesse this month.

Both of these players have thoroughly proven they are good enough at the highest level and for clubs much better than ours, and yet both were not even considered. It's an absolute shame--the two of them could have walked into our starting XI and they were available for nothing.

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:33 - Jan 11 with 7271 viewsConcerned_Parent

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:29 - Jan 11 by MyFinalHeaven

The other problem I have with this is that there's a great player who's currently unattached, a real utility man who can play in every position in the back 4, a former Barcelona, Juventus, and Sevilla man who has won a treble, 5 Serie A titles, a Copa America, and made 68 caps for Uruguay: Martín Cáceres

I expressed disappointment in the summer how we didn't go after him (he's an absolute no brainer to sign), and I lament it again that we did not want him. At the moment I would take him over every defender we have in a heartbeat.

Then there's Alexander Büttner, the former Manchester United left back who was without a club after leaving Dinamo Moscow last season. He just got picked up by Vitesse this month.

Both of these players have thoroughly proven they are good enough at the highest level and for clubs much better than ours, and yet both were not even considered. It's an absolute shame--the two of them could have walked into our starting XI and they were available for nothing.

caceres could walk into our starting lineup even if he had a foot amputated. he's that much better than the jokers we currently have
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:40 - Jan 11 with 7182 viewsConcerned_Parent

when i heard we were going to sign this lad i thought it was a piss take. now it's confirmed. oh dear

but seriously tho. if a player who has been relegated 3 times is who we're going to get to try and keep us up, then that is absurd. what a joke
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:46 - Jan 11 with 7087 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:40 - Jan 11 by Concerned_Parent

when i heard we were going to sign this lad i thought it was a piss take. now it's confirmed. oh dear

but seriously tho. if a player who has been relegated 3 times is who we're going to get to try and keep us up, then that is absurd. what a joke

It's like the Cork signing all over again. A player not deemed good enough by any other team in this league, yet we're happy to go and pay a few million for him.

It's no surprise people are happy with it either. Ambition is at an all time low.

Ben Davies -> Neil Taylor -> Martin Olsson. Embarrassing.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Login to get fewer ads

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:48 - Jan 11 with 7085 viewsdailew

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:40 - Jan 11 by Concerned_Parent

Think positive.

How many players have been relegated 4 times? Very few if any.

I always take my own bomb when I fly. Chance of one bomb being on board is a million to one. Two on board is astronomical so I'm a lot safer.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:48 - Jan 11 with 7075 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Cáceres hasn't played much football for a good few years at club level .

Injury problems ?

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:50 - Jan 11 with 7043 viewsSmellyplumz

Let's be fair it's not hard to be an upgrade over Taylor but it does not mean he's going to be an excellent player, having said that I'm surprised we have signed anyone.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:01 - Jan 11 with 6948 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:48 - Jan 11 by dailew

Think positive.

How many players have been relegated 4 times? Very few if any.

I always take my own bomb when I fly. Chance of one bomb being on board is a million to one. Two on board is astronomical so I'm a lot safer.

Quite a few actually. There's been 5 players in EPL history who have been relegated 4 times, and even a couple who were relegated 5 times:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/654998/Revealed-which-players-relegated-

Olsson has just set himself up nicely to join this distinguished lot and become the 6th.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 17:12]

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:07 - Jan 11 with 6911 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:21 - Jan 11 by TheKirkyLife

If a player is willing to join us in the situation we're in and better than what we've got then I'm delighted. Olsson is most certainly better than Taylor, most certainly more experienced than Kingsley and even proven at this level.

If you were expecting more then no wonder you're disappointed.

Martin Olsson is not a Premier League proven player. Not by a long shot.

It really speaks volumes that of all his seasons in the Prem where he was his team's starting left back (4), in only one of those seasons was his team not relegated.

Clearly the people who are praising this signing here are not aware about his awful history, much less seen him play. It's no wonder Norwich supporters on social media are expressing delight at somehow getting £5m for him.

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:15 - Jan 11 with 6875 viewsvetchonian

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:07 - Jan 11 by MyFinalHeaven

Martin Olsson is not a Premier League proven player. Not by a long shot.

It really speaks volumes that of all his seasons in the Prem where he was his team's starting left back (4), in only one of those seasons was his team not relegated.

Clearly the people who are praising this signing here are not aware about his awful history, much less seen him play. It's no wonder Norwich supporters on social media are expressing delight at somehow getting £5m for him.

Well most on here have been knocking Taylor all season ans stating anything is better so now they get their wish!

I hope its a game Huw says to Paul for everyone of mine you get two of yours

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:21 - Jan 11 with 6840 viewsConcerned_Parent

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 16:48 - Jan 11 by oh_tommy_tommy

Cáceres hasn't played much football for a good few years at club level .

Injury problems ?

not so much injuries as it was being out of favour in a team filled to the brim with world class defenders. during his time at juventus they had bonucci, chiellini, barzagli, alex sandro, lichtsteiner, asmoah, and evra. that's as ridiculous as it gets--no defender has ever had to compete against so many stars

that said, I'd rather have an 80% healthy caceres in our starting XI than any of the dross we currently have at 100% in the starting lineup. he's that good
If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:29 - Jan 11 with 6739 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Caceres ruptured his Achilles' tendon eleven months ago and hasn't played since and Juventus didn't renew his contract in the summer.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:32 - Jan 11 with 6700 viewsAussieSwan

I was wondering where Buttner had gone. He would've been a great signing on a free

If we're in for Narsingh I still would have asked PSV what they were after for Jetro Willems. He would have been a fantastic signing

But Olsson is better than Taylor so I'll take it. If we can get 5m for Taylor at WBA or Palace then it looks like a good deal

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:34 - Jan 11 with 6681 viewsmonmouth

Without commenting on Olsson one way or the other (I have no idea if he'll compliment our team - because that's what we need to build see, not a bunch of individuals), it does seem a little bit odd to me that we have put in this shiny new process for identifying and recruiting players after a poor summer, as confirmed by our resident Yankos and yet, here we are, still trying to buy the players we've been looking at for years.

Almost as if nothing has changed, and there actually is no new improved process. We all know that they wouldn't make something up on the spur of the moment to try and appese us. I mean, we all know that they'd never met Bradley before he joined. hardly heard of him, if at all. How could they ever have remembered an American that worked for them. Pure chance. And there's no way on earth that it's just Jenkins doing what he always does in transfer windows since Tutu left. No way Joes.

It's a conundrum wrapped in an enigma for sure.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:16 - Jan 11 with 6542 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:29 - Jan 11 by Joe_bradshaw

Caceres ruptured his Achilles' tendon eleven months ago and hasn't played since and Juventus didn't renew his contract in the summer.

He's been fit and healthy since though. He was linked to Chelsea and Inter a few months ago:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/07/who-is-chelsea-transfer-target-martin-caceres-all-
http://www.football-italia.net/95751/inter-rekindle-caceres-interest

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:21 - Jan 11 with 6495 viewsNeath_Jack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:16 - Jan 11 by MyFinalHeaven

He's been fit and healthy since though. He was linked to Chelsea and Inter a few months ago:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/07/who-is-chelsea-transfer-target-martin-caceres-all-
http://www.football-italia.net/95751/inter-rekindle-caceres-interest

So why hasn't another premier league team snapped him up then, if he's so good like?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:22 - Jan 11 with 6494 viewsMyFinalHeaven

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 17:34 - Jan 11 by monmouth

Without commenting on Olsson one way or the other (I have no idea if he'll compliment our team - because that's what we need to build see, not a bunch of individuals), it does seem a little bit odd to me that we have put in this shiny new process for identifying and recruiting players after a poor summer, as confirmed by our resident Yankos and yet, here we are, still trying to buy the players we've been looking at for years.

Almost as if nothing has changed, and there actually is no new improved process. We all know that they wouldn't make something up on the spur of the moment to try and appese us. I mean, we all know that they'd never met Bradley before he joined. hardly heard of him, if at all. How could they ever have remembered an American that worked for them. Pure chance. And there's no way on earth that it's just Jenkins doing what he always does in transfer windows since Tutu left. No way Joes.

It's a conundrum wrapped in an enigma for sure.

Agreed. Did we really go through all the trouble and money of hiring a football analytics expert (Dan Altman) to help us on transfers and identify new targets, only to sign the same crappy players we were interested in for years?

Proper incredible stuff. It really beggars belief.

Come on you Swans.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:24 - Jan 11 with 6486 viewsStarsky

I for one am going to reserve judgement on Olsson until hes played a few games for us.

I don't think we can expect top notch signings when we're entrenched in the relegation zone.

It's just the internet, init.

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:26 - Jan 11 with 6462 viewsNeath_Jack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:24 - Jan 11 by Starsky

I for one am going to reserve judgement on Olsson until hes played a few games for us.

I don't think we can expect top notch signings when we're entrenched in the relegation zone.

That's no way to judge a player ffs, whats the matter with you! No wonder you got nowhere in the POTY!

You have to come out now and tell us about all the wonderfully gifted players from across Europe that you've been following for years, that we should be signing.

Away with you man!

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:30 - Jan 11 with 6409 viewspencoedjack

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:26 - Jan 11 by Neath_Jack

That's no way to judge a player ffs, whats the matter with you! No wonder you got nowhere in the POTY!

You have to come out now and tell us about all the wonderfully gifted players from across Europe that you've been following for years, that we should be signing.

Away with you man!

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:34 - Jan 11 with 6368 viewsStarsky

If Martin Olsson is the kind of player we're going to sign... on 18:26 - Jan 11 by Neath_Jack

Away with you man!

Yep
Can you imagine if we signed a Spanish league 2 full back and get 10 years service for 10k

There'd be uproar

It's just the internet, init.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024