Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some perspective? 17:39 - Jan 11 with 3388 viewsE20Jack

We are in one hell of a predicament and odds on to go down. We have to realise as fans that top players aren't going to want to come to us, and even if they wanted to, I am pretty sure they wouldn't want to insert a relegation clause in to affect their wages so we as a club probably shouldn't take the risk. The only chance of landing a top player is a loan, but thereby aren't any around Badstuber clearly didn't fancy England with us and Man City apparently sniffing.

So today it looks like we will sign Olsson, no doubt he's a Jenkins man but let's not let that dictate our feelings as he is actually a very good left back indeed, a certain upgrade on anything we have which fulfills the brief really doesn't it. A pacy winger in Narsingh coming in and a Joey Allen figure in Tom Carroll and to be honest it's probably about as good as we ever were going to get in this situation. Clement has been at top clubs so I don't think he can work with his contacts until we are safe. We have just won our last PL game, about to improve our squad and signed an assistant manager in Claude Makalele. Let's get some positivity going as we have one hell of a fight ahead of us.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 17:39]

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Some perspective? on 17:43 - Jan 11 with 2462 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

You lost me at 'Olsson is actually a very good left back' and when you compared Tom Carroll to Joe Allen.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Some perspective? on 17:45 - Jan 11 with 2467 viewsGlyn1

Very good post.

You know the club's in trouble when even a computer thinks we'll be relegated:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38524102

and by the way, look at the predicted gap between the top six and everyone else. HOWEVER, Olsson seems to be a very decent signing. He has Premier League experience, is better than what we already have, and the Norwich fans forum mostly would like to keep him.

If we are going to go down, then let's at least go down fighting.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 17:46]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Some perspective? on 17:46 - Jan 11 with 2447 viewsE20Jack

Some perspective? on 17:43 - Jan 11 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

You lost me at 'Olsson is actually a very good left back' and when you compared Tom Carroll to Joe Allen.

Yes well to be honest you were not a poster I would have expected this to resonate with. Olsson is an excellent left back, not just a decent one and Tom Carroll was very much like Joey when we signed him on loan, a very neat footballer that moves the play on to keep attacks building quickly rather than slowing them down.

Some perspective? on 17:52 - Jan 11 with 2394 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Some perspective? on 17:46 - Jan 11 by E20Jack

Yes well to be honest you were not a poster I would have expected this to resonate with. Olsson is an excellent left back, not just a decent one and Tom Carroll was very much like Joey when we signed him on loan, a very neat footballer that moves the play on to keep attacks building quickly rather than slowing them down.

David Alaba, Marcelo, Aspilcueta and Filipe Luis are all excellent left backs. Danny Rose and Kolarov are very good left backs. Ben Davies is a good left back, as are most left backs in top divisions.

Olsson is an average left back. Relegated almost every time he's played top tier football. How you can call him excellent is mind boggling.

Some perspective? on 18:02 - Jan 11 with 2374 viewsE20Jack

Some perspective? on 17:52 - Jan 11 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

David Alaba, Marcelo, Aspilcueta and Filipe Luis are all excellent left backs. Danny Rose and Kolarov are very good left backs. Ben Davies is a good left back, as are most left backs in top divisions.

Olsson is an average left back. Relegated almost every time he's played top tier football. How you can call him excellent is mind boggling.

It depends on what club you are at to determine who is excellent. Man United fans don't see Fellaini as a good midfielder (as you would know) but if he signed for Hull they would see him as an excellent midfielder. I think this world grading is probably where you are going wrong as you are comparing all our signings to the likes of Messi so in reality we will never sign an excellent player.

We can only go on what we are as a club and where we are as a club, with that in mind Olson is an excellent left back.

Some perspective? on 18:32 - Jan 11 with 2298 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Some perspective? on 18:02 - Jan 11 by E20Jack

It depends on what club you are at to determine who is excellent. Man United fans don't see Fellaini as a good midfielder (as you would know) but if he signed for Hull they would see him as an excellent midfielder. I think this world grading is probably where you are going wrong as you are comparing all our signings to the likes of Messi so in reality we will never sign an excellent player.

We can only go on what we are as a club and where we are as a club, with that in mind Olson is an excellent left back.

I compare our signings to the player we sold in that position previously. Olsson isn't an improvement on Davies, so therefor he is a poor signing. If you do not improve on what you had then you'll stagnate and go backwards.

Some perspective? on 18:35 - Jan 11 with 2290 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

You'd needed to be a bit insane to sign for us , so fair play for those who do .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Some perspective? on 19:09 - Jan 11 with 2232 viewsCambJack

Some perspective? on 18:35 - Jan 11 by oh_tommy_tommy

You'd needed to be a bit insane to sign for us , so fair play for those who do .

Glad someone else sees it that way! Half the people on this forum getting their nickers in a twist about players not choosing to sign need a reality check. Ambition is one thing but we're probably last choice for a lot of players right now.
Login to get fewer ads

Some perspective? on 19:15 - Jan 11 with 2193 viewsGlyn1

Some perspective? on 18:32 - Jan 11 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I compare our signings to the player we sold in that position previously. Olsson isn't an improvement on Davies, so therefor he is a poor signing. If you do not improve on what you had then you'll stagnate and go backwards.

Olsson isn't an improvement on Davies - who isn't here - but he is an improvement on Taylor - who is, and who he will be competing against for a place in the team. So he's an improvement on the side that we have now. A step forward, even if only a small one.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Some perspective? on 19:17 - Jan 11 with 2176 viewsPrivate_Partz

Some perspective? on 19:09 - Jan 11 by CambJack

Glad someone else sees it that way! Half the people on this forum getting their nickers in a twist about players not choosing to sign need a reality check. Ambition is one thing but we're probably last choice for a lot of players right now.

I doubt we are last choice. All the clubs around us offer equal peril to anyone who signs for them. We are all in the mix. Those that avoid relegation will be the ones who get the players in that will improve the team. They will not be world beaters or sought after. It is the ability of the recruitment teams in each of the relegation threatened clubs that will be the key. Hence I hope Clem and his team have a massive input and Jenkins is just doing the admin.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Some perspective? on 19:24 - Jan 11 with 2142 viewsAussieSwan

Some perspective? on 19:15 - Jan 11 by Glyn1

Olsson isn't an improvement on Davies - who isn't here - but he is an improvement on Taylor - who is, and who he will be competing against for a place in the team. So he's an improvement on the side that we have now. A step forward, even if only a small one.

Don't forget we did sign Tabanou who was meant to be a replacement for Davies.

So far it's failed spectacularly. I wonder what we'll do with him at the end of the season...

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Some perspective? on 19:24 - Jan 11 with 2142 viewsE20Jack

Some perspective? on 18:32 - Jan 11 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

No you didn't, you compared him to the likes of Azpilicueta as a starting point. We are not the same club that sold Davies, the club that sold Davies was a mid table Premier League club who sold him to a top 4 club.

Unless it has escaped your attention, we are now a basket case relegation favourite, we cannot get the likes of players sold to top 4 clubs for 8 figure sums so you are destined for a life of disappointment at the moment. So with that in mind Olson is an excellent signing as he is probably in the top level of attainable players for us.

Some perspective? on 19:25 - Jan 11 with 2138 viewsJackBaston

Some perspective? on 19:09 - Jan 11 by CambJack

Its not perspective its ambition
Realistically, we're not going to be able to sign anyone good in january, especially not for cheap
But we can get 2 domestic loans and god knows how many foreign loans in?
I can name a minimum of 3 realistic players in each position that are better than what we're apparently signing
Some perspective? on 19:28 - Jan 11 with 2117 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Some perspective? on 19:25 - Jan 11 by JackBaston

Realistically, we're not going to be able to sign anyone good in january, especially not for cheap
I can name a minimum of 3 realistic players in each position that are better than what we're apparently signing

What makes you think players are any more likely to come here on loan, rather than as a transfer?
They will still need to be pretty desperate to do so.
Some perspective? on 19:29 - Jan 11 with 2110 viewsE20Jack

Some perspective? on 19:25 - Jan 11 by JackBaston

I can name 100 better players in each position, doesn't mean we can get them though. As certain replies show here, one mans realism is another mans insanity.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 19:31]

Some perspective? on 19:31 - Jan 11 with 2089 viewsJackBaston

Some perspective? on 19:28 - Jan 11 by A_Fans_Dad

What makes you think players are any more likely to come here on loan, rather than as a transfer?
They will still need to be pretty desperate to do so.

Because they need game time and arent getting it at their parent club, isnt that the whole point?
They do well and keep us up, they go back to parent club and probably move up the pecking order, or they put themselves in the shop window and get a move to a bigger club than us
Some perspective? on 19:32 - Jan 11 with 2081 viewsJackBaston

Some perspective? on 19:29 - Jan 11 by E20Jack

I can name 100 better players in each position, doesn't mean we can get them though. As certain replies show here, one mans realism is another mans insanity.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 19:31]

well done?
is that what i said?
Some perspective? on 19:40 - Jan 11 with 2047 viewsE20Jack

Some perspective? on 19:32 - Jan 11 by JackBaston

well done?
is that what i said?

Essentially yes. Happy to hear these better players that we could sign, can afford and would want to come here. Over to you.

Some perspective? on 19:40 - Jan 11 with 2046 viewsJango

Some perspective? on 19:24 - Jan 11 by E20Jack

No you didn't, you compared him to the likes of Azpilicueta as a starting point. We are not the same club that sold Davies, the club that sold Davies was a mid table Premier League club who sold him to a top 4 club.

Unless it has escaped your attention, we are now a basket case relegation favourite, we cannot get the likes of players sold to top 4 clubs for 8 figure sums so you are destined for a life of disappointment at the moment. So with that in mind Olson is an excellent signing as he is probably in the top level of attainable players for us.

Great post. Unfortunately the majority of fans on this site seem to have the same mentality, every player we sign will be slated regardless of how much they improve the team.
Some perspective? on 19:41 - Jan 11 with 2034 viewsLoyal

We've just signed another Naughton.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Some perspective? on 19:42 - Jan 11 with 2027 viewsE20Jack

Some perspective? on 19:40 - Jan 11 by Jango

Great post. Unfortunately the majority of fans on this site seem to have the same mentality, every player we sign will be slated regardless of how much they improve the team.

But they aren't as good as players that sign for Champions League clubs mun, sob sob. Mate, I despair reading these forums at times I really do.

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:44 - Jan 11 with 2024 viewsE20Jack

Some perspective? on 19:40 - Jan 11 by Jango

Double post
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 19:46]

Some perspective? on 19:47 - Jan 11 with 2006 viewsJackBaston

Some perspective? on 19:42 - Jan 11 by E20Jack

But they aren't as good as players that sign for Champions League clubs mun, sob sob. Mate, I despair reading these forums at times I really do.

Ok So when we sold Williams and Ayew
You were happy with Mawson and Dyer as their replacements?
Some perspective? on 19:51 - Jan 11 with 1981 viewsE20Jack

Some perspective? on 19:47 - Jan 11 by JackBaston

Ok So when we sold Williams and Ayew
You were happy with Mawson and Dyer as their replacements?

Not at all (although refuse to believe Dyer was an Ayew replacement). The recruitment pre season was a mess, that's obvious. There were external factors for that though, namely the takeover. What that has to do with this January transfer window though I'm not so sure. There are certainly not an abundance of players better than Olsen wanting to come here of that I can guarantee you. That goes for Narsingh too.

Some perspective? on 20:00 - Jan 11 with 1933 viewsJackBaston

Some perspective? on 19:51 - Jan 11 by E20Jack

Not at all (although refuse to believe Dyer was an Ayew replacement). The recruitment pre season was a mess, that's obvious. There were external factors for that though, namely the takeover. What that has to do with this January transfer window though I'm not so sure. There are certainly not an abundance of players better than Olsen wanting to come here of that I can guarantee you. That goes for Narsingh too.

My point is that these players are definitely not better than we already have
Would you have welcomed the likes of Narsingh, Carroll and Olssen in the summer?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024