Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? 16:34 - Mar 29 with 642 viewstrampie

If Westminster does not as a minimum fully replace Welsh EU money will that lead to Welsh independence down the line ?

I have said on here before that a sovereign state should divert monies to areas of that state that need it most even at the expense of areas within the same state that is doing well, if not there will be consequences, particularly if that area is a country forming part of a union.

The below article seems to have content in it that suggests the same.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/20/brexit-cant-just-english-theresa-may-

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 16:43 - Mar 29 with 629 viewsLeonWasGod

Interesting article that and a change from hearing about Scotland all the time. Carwyn's nowhere near as good as waving the Welsh flag as Sturgeon is the Scottish one.

I can't see Westminster replacing the lost money.
And I can't see it leading to devolution.
Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 16:59 - Mar 29 with 610 viewsblueytheblue

Given we're net contributors, there's nothing stopping that money being replaced with money in hand.

Reality is, it's not money that counts but the effectiveness of the schemes funded. Some nice sounding EU funded scheme that creates zero jobs or something cheaper that does....

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:04 - Mar 29 with 599 viewsmonmouth

The answer to both the rhetorical and the direct question posed is no, of course not.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:09 - Mar 29 with 579 viewstrampie

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:04 - Mar 29 by monmouth

The answer to both the rhetorical and the direct question posed is no, of course not.

Consequences it is then.........

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:35 - Mar 29 with 555 viewsHighjack

We already get 15 billion a year from Westminster.

Only 14 billion from the EU in the last 18 years total, not including what we put in.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:36 - Mar 29 with 548 viewsmonmouth

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:09 - Mar 29 by trampie

If you mean that most of Wales, and with a few exceptions, just about everywhere outside the South of England will hurtle further into abject poverty under a merciless and uncaring wealth accumulating elite, then yes, there will probably be consequences.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:40 - Mar 29 with 543 viewsrock1n

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:35 - Mar 29 by Highjack

We already get 15 billion a year from Westminster.

Only 14 billion from the EU in the last 18 years total, not including what we put in.

14bn is our Welfare payments though.

So around 900m a year for extra funding which will diminish.

Let's get real in Swansea/Cardiff we may do ok, but the valleys won't get barely a penny. If we are to prosper as a Nation managed decline of those areas is an inevitable consequence.

That was the point of EU funding it was designed around need, not the political cycle.

Is a Gov going to plough money into an area that is not likely to vote for it? Really, if you believe that you'll believe anything. That money will be recycled into more money for pet projects and infrastructure in safe seats, it's an inevitability of taking back control. It could also be used to lower taxes, again benefiting many apart from those who voted out will lose out because they rely more on public spending.

I've voted tory in the past, I'm not some left wing radical I can see the reality staring me in the face. I just can't believe how others cannot.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 17:41]

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:01 - Mar 29 with 514 viewstrampie

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:40 - Mar 29 by rock1n

14bn is our Welfare payments though.

So around 900m a year for extra funding which will diminish.

Let's get real in Swansea/Cardiff we may do ok, but the valleys won't get barely a penny. If we are to prosper as a Nation managed decline of those areas is an inevitable consequence.

That was the point of EU funding it was designed around need, not the political cycle.

Is a Gov going to plough money into an area that is not likely to vote for it? Really, if you believe that you'll believe anything. That money will be recycled into more money for pet projects and infrastructure in safe seats, it's an inevitability of taking back control. It could also be used to lower taxes, again benefiting many apart from those who voted out will lose out because they rely more on public spending.

I've voted tory in the past, I'm not some left wing radical I can see the reality staring me in the face. I just can't believe how others cannot.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 17:41]

You mean you can see the reality at the 11th hour ?

Login to get fewer ads

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:07 - Mar 29 with 501 viewsKilkennyjack

No

Beware of the Risen People

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:08 - Mar 29 with 499 viewslondonlisa2001

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:36 - Mar 29 by monmouth

If you mean that most of Wales, and with a few exceptions, just about everywhere outside the South of England will hurtle further into abject poverty under a merciless and uncaring wealth accumulating elite, then yes, there will probably be consequences.

Innit.

It must be the only vote in history where people that will gain from this decision voted against it, and people that will lose, voted for it.

Anyone that thinks that this is socking it to the elite, needs to look at the reaction of Mr Murdoch and Lord Rothermere - crapping it they are...
Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:20 - Mar 29 with 482 viewstrampie

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:08 - Mar 29 by londonlisa2001

Innit.

It must be the only vote in history where people that will gain from this decision voted against it, and people that will lose, voted for it.

Anyone that thinks that this is socking it to the elite, needs to look at the reaction of Mr Murdoch and Lord Rothermere - crapping it they are...

Do you think that a properly functioning sovereign state Lisa should divert funds to parts of that state that need it most even if its to the detriment of well off parts of the state ?

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:40 - Mar 29 with 461 viewslondonlisa2001

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:20 - Mar 29 by trampie

Do you think that a properly functioning sovereign state Lisa should divert funds to parts of that state that need it most even if its to the detriment of well off parts of the state ?

Yes of course it should.

It should also divert funds to the people within that state that need it the most even if it's to the detriment of the well off people within that state.

If you're asking me whether I think this government will do so, no I do not. Or at least, not to the extent that the EU did. There's no political capital in them doing so and they have spent the past year hurtling to the right in an effort to appease the UKIP tendencies that are so obviously on display within their party, within the country, and even on here.

Do I think that will result in Welsh Independence? No, I do not.
Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:47 - Mar 29 with 451 viewsLeonWasGod

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 16:59 - Mar 29 by blueytheblue

Given we're net contributors, there's nothing stopping that money being replaced with money in hand.

Reality is, it's not money that counts but the effectiveness of the schemes funded. Some nice sounding EU funded scheme that creates zero jobs or something cheaper that does....

We (Wales) are not net contributors though. The UK is, but:
- we've given commitments to continue funding EU programmes to their end
- there's going to be a significant severance payment, possibly up to 5-6 years net contribution equivalent
- the cost of the operation to remove ourselves from the EU will be massive - 1,000 govt-funded posts + infrastructure will be at leadt 1 month's net contribution equivalent per year.
- if we decide to access EU programmes or the single market the cost is significant- see Norway
- we're going to have to offer incentives above and beyond current in order to retain/attract business
- we've got a humungous budget deficit that needs to be clawed back

The 'extra' money isn't going to go very far at all.
Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:50 - Mar 29 with 447 viewsrock1n

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:01 - Mar 29 by trampie

You mean you can see the reality at the 11th hour ?

What you on about, I've always been pro EU

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:52 - Mar 29 with 440 viewsrock1n

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:08 - Mar 29 by londonlisa2001

Innit.

Oh absolutely, the pound being weak benefits those with shares.

Those on the breadline, not so much.

Who voted for Brexit

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:53 - Mar 29 with 430 viewsrock1n

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:47 - Mar 29 by LeonWasGod

We (Wales) are not net contributors though. The UK is, but:
- we've given commitments to continue funding EU programmes to their end
- there's going to be a significant severance payment, possibly up to 5-6 years net contribution equivalent
- the cost of the operation to remove ourselves from the EU will be massive - 1,000 govt-funded posts + infrastructure will be at leadt 1 month's net contribution equivalent per year.
- if we decide to access EU programmes or the single market the cost is significant- see Norway
- we're going to have to offer incentives above and beyond current in order to retain/attract business
- we've got a humungous budget deficit that needs to be clawed back

The 'extra' money isn't going to go very far at all.

Yep - costs will mean it will probably take a generation just to break even and that's being optimistic.

350m bus was an absolute scandal

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:05 - Mar 29 with 419 viewstrampie

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 18:40 - Mar 29 by londonlisa2001

Yes of course it should.

It should also divert funds to the people within that state that need it the most even if it's to the detriment of the well off people within that state.

If you're asking me whether I think this government will do so, no I do not. Or at least, not to the extent that the EU did. There's no political capital in them doing so and they have spent the past year hurtling to the right in an effort to appease the UKIP tendencies that are so obviously on display within their party, within the country, and even on here.

Do I think that will result in Welsh Independence? No, I do not.

Will the people of London be happy to share with other parts of Blighty ?

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:09 - Mar 29 with 410 viewslondonlisa2001

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:05 - Mar 29 by trampie

Will the people of London be happy to share with other parts of Blighty ?

Well they do at the moment. Massively.

The worry is that it will be less in the future not more as part of the mechanism for London sharing if you want to call it that, is the EU.
Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:21 - Mar 29 with 395 viewsblueytheblue

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:09 - Mar 29 by londonlisa2001

The worry is that it will be less in the future not more as part of the mechanism for London sharing if you want to call it that, is the EU.

I can see more devolution happening over time though, Lisa.

Not just Scotland, Wales, N Ireland but also English regions too.

I'd guess that would help the process.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:27 - Mar 29 with 386 viewslondonlisa2001

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:21 - Mar 29 by blueytheblue

I can see more devolution happening over time though, Lisa.

Not just Scotland, Wales, N Ireland but also English regions too.

I'd guess that would help the process.

Well it will happen (more devolution that is). The article 50 letter stated that quite explicitly.

That won't help the process of wealth sharing though.
Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:49 - Mar 29 with 373 viewstrampie

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 19:09 - Mar 29 by londonlisa2001

They get huge investment and infrastructure projects, airports, railways, metro etc they even had a recent Qlympic games all bringing in jobs, when a Government has a capital centric approach that area gets the money but also that area has to dish it out around to outlying areas, Cardiff is a mini London in Welsh terms.

I would prefer if all areas were developed at a similar speed, even if some areas had more than others just to keep pace, but it seems like we invest in the centre and hope the wealth filters outwards, that's is not working, just like trickle down economics hoping that if the rich get richer their wealth will trickle down, again not working.

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 20:18 - Mar 29 with 354 viewsClinton

Will Westminster replace Welsh EU money ? on 17:09 - Mar 29 by trampie

empty threat.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024