Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy 07:27 - Apr 5 with 2811 viewsTheResurrection

Keep it tight, keep in the game as long as possible, build up momentum and an option of Plan B.

---------------------- Fab -----------------------

Naughts - Fede - Maws - Kingsley

Routs - Fer - Cork - Carroll - Olsson

---------------------- Siggy ---------------------

Siggy can defend from the front and his typical roaming game won't expose us as much as if he was left midfield. He's a goal threat and can hopefully link up with midfield more than Ayew did on Sunday. We won't have the aerial threat but neither did we against Boro.

Olsson is a threat further up the field and will know his defensive duties.

This should keep us nice and tight while still offering the ability to play some football.

Plan B would involve Kingsley going off and reverting back to a more orthodox us of late perhaps with McBurnie or heavens forbid, Baston to come on so we have something to aim at.

Big game.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 12:01 - Apr 5 with 698 viewsLegend83

My team FWIW:

Fab
KN FF AM MO
JA JC LF TC
GS
Borja

Effectively 3 CM's and a winger with TC drifting out to the left like he does anyway in the Siggy (current) role. Siggy in the hole / dropping in to support in a midfield bank of 5.

Think OIlsen can keep Walker quiet and Rose is injured so Ayew / Narsingh can push up a bit.

Assumed Llorente is injured so Borja steps up and scores a hat-trick ;)
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 12:08 - Apr 5 with 690 viewsNeathJack

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:49 - Apr 5 by TheResurrection

Absolutely shapeless and totally different to what Clement has done so far.

We need a Man City, Southampton, Leicester, Liverpool performance.

This reminds me of when you got your wish to start with 2 wingers in Spurs and we got battered 5-0. The wide men didn't get a kick all game and offered us no protection whatsoever.

Yep it is totally different to what Clement has done so far. I was picking a team I would like to see selected, not the one I think be will pick you see.

We had your idol Bob Bradley in charge at Spurs remember. The players didn't have a clue what they were supposed to be doing as a result.

Sit back and hope for a point tonight with our defence and they will work their way through and create numerous chances while we offer nothing at all offensively to relieve the pressure.

However, like I said in a previous post it has a flogging a dead horse feel about it tonight whichever team is selected.

If he goes with your team and we get a result, great. I'll be absolutely delighted. I just can't see it being successful at all.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 12:35 - Apr 5 with 655 viewsJackFish

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:55 - Apr 5 by crtz

"Siggy can defend from the front and his typical roaming game won't expose us as much as if he was left midfield"

Have you watched a Swans game before? Sigurdsson's work rate is fantastic and he is usually the hardest-working player in the midfield area that is trying to press the other team off the ball. I don't recall his "roaming" ever leading to anything negative.

I'm not sure if you know this but Siggy plays in a 2-man 4-4-2 midfield for Iceland. That team went on to lose only one match in the Euros (against hosts, France) and conceded only 3 goals in 8 games in the qualifiers. I've read many of your posts and you insinuating that Sigurdsson is some sort of luxury player like Özil that we can't afford to have on the pitch due to his defensive short-comings is absolutely false.

Not only that, but I'm sure I recall reading recently that Gylfi has covered more ground than any other players in the PL this season.

Not that I'm against him playing as a false #9 if Llorente is out though. I'd go with Borja myself but he seems to be completely out of favour, and Ayew was pretty hopeless up there on Saturday.

LF
KN FF AM MO
JC TC
LN LF GS (or WR)
FL (GS)

Would be my team. Wouldn't complain about Ayew on the wing in place of Narsingh though, don't think either of them have offered us very much so far.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 12:45 - Apr 5 with 644 viewsTheResurrection

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:55 - Apr 5 by crtz

"Siggy can defend from the front and his typical roaming game won't expose us as much as if he was left midfield"

Have you watched a Swans game before? Sigurdsson's work rate is fantastic and he is usually the hardest-working player in the midfield area that is trying to press the other team off the ball. I don't recall his "roaming" ever leading to anything negative.

I'm not sure if you know this but Siggy plays in a 2-man 4-4-2 midfield for Iceland. That team went on to lose only one match in the Euros (against hosts, France) and conceded only 3 goals in 8 games in the qualifiers. I've read many of your posts and you insinuating that Sigurdsson is some sort of luxury player like Özil that we can't afford to have on the pitch due to his defensive short-comings is absolutely false.

I haven't been critical of his work rate, that's outstanding and he gives it his all. But he does roam around and has probably got license to do that. It does expose us here and there if you watch us properly and he also doesn't offer us any real wide play. It's not ideal having him on the left side of midfield but we just need to find a place for him.

I'm not interested in Iceland only Swansea, that's completely irrelevant.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 12:55 - Apr 5 with 626 viewsAngelRangelQS

I quite like that team if I'm honest and I do think there is a chance he may pick it.

Siggy has played in that position on occasions this season and done okay and Olsson has been more productive in a wide position than the rest of the team put together.

The aim of the game tonight surely is to frustrate Spurs with a view to best case scenario nicking a win or a draw to worst case scenario our GD not taking a massive hit. We can't go chasing a win because we didn't win on Sunday and see our GD take a blow and I don't see PC risking that either.

I don't think he will pick Ayew upfront again and clearly he doesn't rate McBurnie or Borja... so that points to Siggy surely?
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 13:09 - Apr 5 with 607 viewsdameedna

Fabianski
Naughton Fernandez Mawson Olsson
Routledge Ki Carroll Britton Siggurdson
Ayew

Need to keep some players back for West Ham but it is hard not to play Carroll and Siggurdson. Don't see a problem giving Cork and Fer a rest on the bench and I'd like to see Fulton on the bench.

Can't see us winning this one and I don't see Ki and Britton as lifesavers but equally they are good pros and it is an area we could have a swap round in.

I would not risk Llorente.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 13:09 - Apr 5 with 606 viewscrtz

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 12:45 - Apr 5 by TheResurrection

I haven't been critical of his work rate, that's outstanding and he gives it his all. But he does roam around and has probably got license to do that. It does expose us here and there if you watch us properly and he also doesn't offer us any real wide play. It's not ideal having him on the left side of midfield but we just need to find a place for him.

I'm not interested in Iceland only Swansea, that's completely irrelevant.

I agree he shouldn't be on the left side. He's done well so far on the wing, solved it very well and the reason is definitely his license to roam. When he was put out on the left at Spurs he was completely isolated as he was probably told to stay out wide and that's why I fear putting him up top might be detrimental. We need Sigurdsson on the ball. If he's isolated up top we're going to struggle. When he's on the ball things happen. If he roams away from his position we'll have no one up top and that's a tad worrying. Only thing we can hope for in that situation is that he can become a distributer to our flanks during counter-attacks but against a well structured defence like Spurs have, it's wishful thinking.

In my opinion, he should play in his normal AMC position with Borja up top fighting with their defensive line for long balls. Basically the same formation as in your OP with Siggy in the middle of the park pressing the opposition with the other 2 midfielders and orchestrating the attack when we get the ball. The dream would be to hold onto a 0-0 until half-time. People on here saying going out to defend is a losing strategy are wrong. If we can hold onto a draw until late in the game Spurs will become desperate and we might sneak in a fast counter-attack. It's what has worked for Iceland countless of times and saying their games/tactics are irrelevant is ridiculous.

All of this is irrelevant however if we don't defend well. If we concede early I don't see any way of us getting back into the game without conceding heavily in return. Spurs are too strong offensively for us to play our possession football against them. This game hinges on our structure in defence.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 17:46 - Apr 5 with 490 viewsTheResurrection

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 13:09 - Apr 5 by crtz

I agree he shouldn't be on the left side. He's done well so far on the wing, solved it very well and the reason is definitely his license to roam. When he was put out on the left at Spurs he was completely isolated as he was probably told to stay out wide and that's why I fear putting him up top might be detrimental. We need Sigurdsson on the ball. If he's isolated up top we're going to struggle. When he's on the ball things happen. If he roams away from his position we'll have no one up top and that's a tad worrying. Only thing we can hope for in that situation is that he can become a distributer to our flanks during counter-attacks but against a well structured defence like Spurs have, it's wishful thinking.

In my opinion, he should play in his normal AMC position with Borja up top fighting with their defensive line for long balls. Basically the same formation as in your OP with Siggy in the middle of the park pressing the opposition with the other 2 midfielders and orchestrating the attack when we get the ball. The dream would be to hold onto a 0-0 until half-time. People on here saying going out to defend is a losing strategy are wrong. If we can hold onto a draw until late in the game Spurs will become desperate and we might sneak in a fast counter-attack. It's what has worked for Iceland countless of times and saying their games/tactics are irrelevant is ridiculous.

All of this is irrelevant however if we don't defend well. If we concede early I don't see any way of us getting back into the game without conceding heavily in return. Spurs are too strong offensively for us to play our possession football against them. This game hinges on our structure in defence.

A false 9 isn't to isolate him up top mun. He would effectively be an attacking Attacking Midfielder. He'd see more ball, or he should.

And the way other teams set up is completely irrelevant to us as they have different players with different skill sets.

Login to get fewer ads

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 18:47 - Apr 5 with 457 viewsNirvana

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 17:46 - Apr 5 by TheResurrection

A false 9 isn't to isolate him up top mun. He would effectively be an attacking Attacking Midfielder. He'd see more ball, or he should.

And the way other teams set up is completely irrelevant to us as they have different players with different skill sets.

If Siggy's a roving midfielder, who exactly is occupying Vertonghen and Alderweireld? If it's one of the CMs we'd over-commit and get caught out on the break.

Who's making a run in behind the defence, through the middle? You have a a fullback and Routledge as wings and they're expected to provide the width AND stretch the backline?

There is no way this XI would come close to nicking anything against Spurs, set piece or not. The anxiety would set in immediately within the Liberty, and everyone would know we'd be playing not to lose, and Pochettino would rip into us over and over again. An XI like that cannot withstand constant and intense pressure. Eventually, we'd break, and it would happen again and again, until they gave up and started knocking it about.

This little talent and unfamiliarity on the pitch at one time, again, against an in-form Spurs? You're dreaming with your eyes open "mun".
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 19:00 - Apr 5 with 422 viewsWxmJax

Seems he's picked the team I said he would. Not hopeful, please let me be wrong.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 19:12 - Apr 5 with 398 viewsTheResurrection

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 18:47 - Apr 5 by Nirvana

If Siggy's a roving midfielder, who exactly is occupying Vertonghen and Alderweireld? If it's one of the CMs we'd over-commit and get caught out on the break.

Who's making a run in behind the defence, through the middle? You have a a fullback and Routledge as wings and they're expected to provide the width AND stretch the backline?

There is no way this XI would come close to nicking anything against Spurs, set piece or not. The anxiety would set in immediately within the Liberty, and everyone would know we'd be playing not to lose, and Pochettino would rip into us over and over again. An XI like that cannot withstand constant and intense pressure. Eventually, we'd break, and it would happen again and again, until they gave up and started knocking it about.

This little talent and unfamiliarity on the pitch at one time, again, against an in-form Spurs? You're dreaming with your eyes open "mun".

It could potentially bring their two centre halves out of position but you're only looking at this from an out and out attacking perspective. This isn't the type of game where we'll be trying to break down a stubborn defence for gods sake, they'll try to be on the front foot no matter who we would've picked.

Your whole post could be compared to Sundays game... Who made the runs in behind, or down the middle??

You seem to be forgetting one huge aspect in all this. And that's we are trying to make a silk purse from a cow's ear, not looking for Holland total football of the 70's.

Clement has gone for the tight compact side again and picked the most obvious line up based on how we ended the game last up. This is not a fluent side and neither should it be.

You're living in some kind of fantasy land my girl... Da plane! Da plane!!!

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 19:18 - Apr 5 with 376 viewsperchrockjack

Evenso Chris ,it's a shocking team to put out given it's our sixth season utterly devoid of class speed or simple spunk.

Rotledge should be nowhere near and Baston should be starting.

Questions not being asked about this player

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

(edit: phone fackup) on 19:29 - Apr 5 with 357 viewsNirvana

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 19:12 - Apr 5 by TheResurrection

It could potentially bring their two centre halves out of position but you're only looking at this from an out and out attacking perspective. This isn't the type of game where we'll be trying to break down a stubborn defence for gods sake, they'll try to be on the front foot no matter who we would've picked.

Your whole post could be compared to Sundays game... Who made the runs in behind, or down the middle??

You seem to be forgetting one huge aspect in all this. And that's we are trying to make a silk purse from a cow's ear, not looking for Holland total football of the 70's.

Clement has gone for the tight compact side again and picked the most obvious line up based on how we ended the game last up. This is not a fluent side and neither should it be.

You're living in some kind of fantasy land my girl... Da plane! Da plane!!!

You're grasping at strawmen here, "Rev". Never said any of that and you know it. What I did actually write is there if you want to respond to it. This is just a bunch of drivel written to your shadow.

And for perspective, we drew AGAINST BORO with the same grand gameplan you've unveiled, and we had better and more compatible players in the XI. You think Olsson is a serious option on the wing, for the first time, with Siggy alone up front against an in-form Spurs? No chance. Same with most of your "tactical" dross.

Enjoy the match and can't wait for you to be right somehow at the end, no matter what happens.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2017 19:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024