Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Austerity my arse 14:29 - Jun 26 with 5576 viewsEbo

Well, well, well. Theresa found that money tree and gave it to a party with past links to paramilitary groups.

This is NOT going to end well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Austerity my arse on 14:34 - Jun 26 with 2711 viewsHeadmaster

She's giving £1 billion extra to Northern Ireland. How is this anything other than a sad attempt at retaining power?
Austerity my arse on 14:39 - Jun 26 with 2692 viewsHeadmaster

Austerity my arse on 14:46 - Jun 26 with 2673 viewsjack247

Austerity my arse on 14:34 - Jun 26 by Headmaster

She's giving £1 billion extra to Northern Ireland. How is this anything other than a sad attempt at retaining power?

It is absolutely that. Whatever your politics, Britain lost that election.
Austerity my arse on 14:53 - Jun 26 with 2654 viewsyescomeon

Not going to go down with Welsh and Scottish gov that. The other regions should be getting more money if NI does.

Upthecity!

Austerity my arse on 15:01 - Jun 26 with 2623 viewsdickythorpe

Unbelievable Jer!
Austerity my arse on 15:48 - Jun 26 with 2533 viewsHighjack

Cash for votes basically.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Austerity my arse on 16:09 - Jun 26 with 2490 viewslondonlisa2001

Austerity my arse on 15:48 - Jun 26 by Highjack

Cash for votes basically.

Like every single party manifesto ever then?
Austerity my arse on 16:16 - Jun 26 with 2461 viewslondonlisa2001

The conservatives getting into bed with a bunch of bigoted, homophobic ar*eholes brings absolute shame on them. It is truly disgraceful.

But the number of people talking as if a billion has gone into someone's back pocket is quite astonishing.

The deal sees retention of triple lock (which I disagree with, but it was in the Labour manifesto), retention of winter fuel allowance (which I disagree with but was in the Labour Party manifesto), and a billion pounds being spent on education, healthcare and infrastructure (which was in the Labour manifesto, albeit at many, many times greater amounts) in one of the most deprived parts of the UK.

There are really good reasons for saying that this deal is an utter embarrassment to the country, but Labour supporters criticising the financial aspects are being hypocritical in the extreme.
Login to get fewer ads

Austerity my arse on 16:18 - Jun 26 with 2448 viewsLohengrin

Following Ebo's link in the OP does anybody have any objection as to where the extra money is to be ear-marked, then? As I've said on here the DUP aren't my cup of tea but I have to say they have played their hand superbly.

Ebo: Infrastructure - public services - education - healthcare. It HAS ended well for all communities in Northern Ireland.

If only the politicians Wales sends to Westminster were one-tenth as effective...

EDIT: I hadn't seen Lisa's post above before I submitted this, but at the risk of sounding like an echo now, I'll leave it here to reinforce her point.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2017 16:23]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Austerity my arse on 16:18 - Jun 26 with 2448 viewsnice_to_michu

Austerity my arse on 16:16 - Jun 26 by londonlisa2001

The conservatives getting into bed with a bunch of bigoted, homophobic ar*eholes brings absolute shame on them. It is truly disgraceful.

But the number of people talking as if a billion has gone into someone's back pocket is quite astonishing.

The deal sees retention of triple lock (which I disagree with, but it was in the Labour manifesto), retention of winter fuel allowance (which I disagree with but was in the Labour Party manifesto), and a billion pounds being spent on education, healthcare and infrastructure (which was in the Labour manifesto, albeit at many, many times greater amounts) in one of the most deprived parts of the UK.

There are really good reasons for saying that this deal is an utter embarrassment to the country, but Labour supporters criticising the financial aspects are being hypocritical in the extreme.

Isn't it more the point that the same increase in funding has not been given out to the other regions?
Austerity my arse on 16:27 - Jun 26 with 2407 viewslondonlisa2001

Austerity my arse on 16:18 - Jun 26 by nice_to_michu

Isn't it more the point that the same increase in funding has not been given out to the other regions?

Yes, I can see that, but Northern Ireland is particularly deprived for one thing, and I guess that when they announced the Swansea City deal recently, no one's reaction was 'they'd better do the same for Aberdeen or Wigan'.

My reaction in many ways was I wish that Plaid had offered their votes in return for some infrastructure development in Wales.

I don't care whether Scotland is p***ed off. They gain massively from the current deal anyway, due to the Barnett formula being introduced in the first place by a Labour government who used it to try and garner Scottish votes.

I hate the idea of doing any deal with this bunch, but the financial aspects are good for everyone in Northern Ireland I would imagine.
Austerity my arse on 16:33 - Jun 26 with 2383 viewsLohengrin

Austerity my arse on 16:27 - Jun 26 by londonlisa2001

Yes, I can see that, but Northern Ireland is particularly deprived for one thing, and I guess that when they announced the Swansea City deal recently, no one's reaction was 'they'd better do the same for Aberdeen or Wigan'.

My reaction in many ways was I wish that Plaid had offered their votes in return for some infrastructure development in Wales.

I don't care whether Scotland is p***ed off. They gain massively from the current deal anyway, due to the Barnett formula being introduced in the first place by a Labour government who used it to try and garner Scottish votes.

I hate the idea of doing any deal with this bunch, but the financial aspects are good for everyone in Northern Ireland I would imagine.

"... but the financial aspects are good for everyone in Northern Ireland I would imagine?"

Yes they are, hence the resentful, sour puss on Gerry Adams and Corbyn. Vultures can't feed off a healthy body.

Austerity my arse on 16:41 - Jun 26 with 2363 viewssherpajacob

Austerity my arse on 16:27 - Jun 26 by londonlisa2001

In terms of deprived areas as measured by those regions qualifying for EU funds, parts of Wales and Cornwall are ahead of NI, in the queue.

Can't blame the DUP for wringing every last £ out of a PM desperate to retain power at any cost..

The reality is Theresa May has so little confidence in the support of some of her own back benchers and even in some of her own cabinet that she views £1bn for 10 extra votes as good value for money. Otherwise she would run with a minority government as even labour, snp, LD, plaid and green combined can't out vote her.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Austerity my arse on 16:56 - Jun 26 with 2334 viewslondonlisa2001

Austerity my arse on 16:41 - Jun 26 by sherpajacob

In terms of deprived areas as measured by those regions qualifying for EU funds, parts of Wales and Cornwall are ahead of NI, in the queue.

Can't blame the DUP for wringing every last £ out of a PM desperate to retain power at any cost..

The reality is Theresa May has so little confidence in the support of some of her own back benchers and even in some of her own cabinet that she views £1bn for 10 extra votes as good value for money. Otherwise she would run with a minority government as even labour, snp, LD, plaid and green combined can't out vote her.

Parts of, yes, but I think that as whole,Northern Ireland is the poorest of the constituent countries of the UK?

I think she should have run with a minority government to be honest, as I can't stand these scum bags, but last week's Queens Speech basically said austerity was over, and this is just part of it. It's infrastructure spending which is exactly what Labour wants. It's actually politically quite clever to be honest, as it's very hard for Corbyn to criticise them implementing what's he proposed anyway. Once the whole meme money tree nonsense is over I mean.

On a value for money thing, Brown bought their votes for more than this for just one single vote in 2009 of course...

Edited to add - I meant to say that the behaviour of Corbyn, McDonnell, Thornberry etc etc since the election with constant cries of no mandate, has probably influenced May to seek a more secure government than running with a minority. If Corbyn hadn't told everyone who'd listen that he'll be PM within 6 months, perhaps they would have been more willing to think about going it alone? Who knows.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2017 17:01]
Austerity my arse on 17:00 - Jun 26 with 2318 viewsyescomeon

It's the same argument that Plaid try and use, vote for a Welsh party to give Wales a voice in Westminster. They weaken their hand by refusing to work with the Tories. I'm not a huge fan of the Tories, but if working with them can get you something like the deal that Northern Ireland has just gotten then it is surely for the greater good.

Upthecity!

Austerity my arse on 17:02 - Jun 26 with 2301 viewsLohengrin

Austerity my arse on 17:00 - Jun 26 by yescomeon

It's the same argument that Plaid try and use, vote for a Welsh party to give Wales a voice in Westminster. They weaken their hand by refusing to work with the Tories. I'm not a huge fan of the Tories, but if working with them can get you something like the deal that Northern Ireland has just gotten then it is surely for the greater good.

That's the difference between realpolitik and Leanne Wood's brand of Tertiary College posturing.

Austerity my arse on 17:04 - Jun 26 with 2297 viewslondonlisa2001

Austerity my arse on 17:00 - Jun 26 by yescomeon

My reaction was that Plaid have missed a trick possibly. Maybe the 4 MPs are just not enough to matter, although with Sinn Fein not taking their seats, they may have been?
Austerity my arse on 17:14 - Jun 26 with 2260 viewsdickythorpe

The Barnett formula!!

Now surely Carwyn should be screaming from Cardiff Bay about this being totally outdated and unfair?
Austerity my arse on 17:14 - Jun 26 with 2258 viewsyescomeon

Austerity my arse on 17:04 - Jun 26 by londonlisa2001

My reaction was that Plaid have missed a trick possibly. Maybe the 4 MPs are just not enough to matter, although with Sinn Fein not taking their seats, they may have been?

Perhaps two parties willing to work with them would have strengthened the Tories hand as they could play them off against each other. DUP were in a strong position as the only option for the Tories.

Upthecity!

Austerity my arse on 17:17 - Jun 26 with 2244 viewslondonlisa2001

Austerity my arse on 17:14 - Jun 26 by dickythorpe

The Barnett formula!!

Now surely Carwyn should be screaming from Cardiff Bay about this being totally outdated and unfair?

It's a double edged sword. Has always been unfair to Wales (Labour didn't worry about Welsh votes when it was introduced), but is even more unfair to deprived areas of England.
Austerity my arse on 17:19 - Jun 26 with 2236 viewsyescomeon

Austerity my arse on 17:02 - Jun 26 by Lohengrin

That's the difference between realpolitik and Leanne Wood's brand of Tertiary College posturing.

It's time for someone new I feel. I'm sure she will lead the party into the Assembly (or Parliament?!) elections. Will be interesting to see if a new leader will persist with the current party direction or try something new. The current direction hasn't made much of a dent in South Wales.

Upthecity!

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:22 - Jun 26 with 2224 viewslondonlisa2001

Austerity my arse on 17:14 - Jun 26 by yescomeon

Perhaps two parties willing to work with them would have strengthened the Tories hand as they could play them off against each other. DUP were in a strong position as the only option for the Tories.

The LibDems should have seen what they could get. Who knows what was up for grabs on Brexit and everything else given their manifesto was thrown in the bin last week.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2017 17:23]
Austerity my arse on 17:34 - Jun 26 with 2171 viewsJango

Austerity my arse on 16:16 - Jun 26 by londonlisa2001

Talking of hypocritical, you slated labour throughout the election for their reckless spending plans yet you are defending the tories for plucking £1.5billion from the magic money tree they denied existed to pull themselves out of the sh*t.
Austerity my arse on 17:39 - Jun 26 with 2143 viewslondonlisa2001

Austerity my arse on 17:34 - Jun 26 by Jango

Talking of hypocritical, you slated labour throughout the election for their reckless spending plans yet you are defending the tories for plucking £1.5billion from the magic money tree they denied existed to pull themselves out of the sh*t.

It's a billion. And I'm not defending it. I'm saying that I don't understand Labour supporters criticising it as it's what they wanted. Same with triple lock and fuel allowance.

They threw away their austerity policies last week,

I hate them dealing with the DUP.

I think they've been politically clever. That's two different things.
Austerity my arse on 17:44 - Jun 26 with 2129 viewsKilkennyjack

Mayo found the Magic Money Tree.

Who would have thought ?

What a sad joke.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024