Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fortnite 18:36 - Sep 2 with 7940 viewsJackfath

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/boy-bank-fortnite-hundreds-money-1

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Fortnite on 13:05 - Sep 3 with 1527 viewsJackSomething

Fortnite on 12:51 - Sep 3 by Highjack

That's an extreme event though. You let a ten year old run wild in toys r us when it was open with a bank card and you’d have a similar result.

Indeed.

The games industry has advanced rapidly in recent years with the growth of persistent-online games, loot boxes, add-on content, games as a service, early access, subscription services like PS+.

As a poster said above, it's a far cry from the days of plugging in a Spectrum ZXK and a tape deck, then leaving the kids to it!

I've been a gamer all my life so am comfortable with my son using the tablet and my consoles, although this may change as we both get older and he ends up knowing way more about this stuff than me. I do feel sorry though for parents who don't have a clue about these things and there should be more effort made by developers and retailers to produce clear information on parental modes, blocking add-on purchases, etc.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Fortnite on 13:14 - Sep 3 with 1517 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

A lot of people are spouting nonsense in this thread.

This game has no 'loot boxes' and it's optional purchases are not 'gambling' as you know exactly which cosmetic item you're purchasing. It is extremely different to other games such as FIFA which offer the option to purchase 'loot boxes' where you do not know what you're going to get.

Unfortunately it seems like this child and many others are raised poorly, left to spend hours locked away playing these games and it is little surprise addictions develop.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Fortnite on 13:19 - Sep 3 with 1518 viewsEbo

Fortnite on 22:00 - Sep 2 by trinityann

These games make a fortune on extra add on purchases. Once you have paid for a game, you should not be charged extra for add ons. I would say it's borderline worse than gambling, at least with gambling you have a chance of winning something. I have had battles from my own kids with extra online add on purchases and refuse to give into them because of stories like this article.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2018 22:01]

On Fifa 18 there is a massive problem with this. Basically you can purchase points which you use to buy packs of players. Trouble is you have no idea of what is in the pack. You could spend a fortune and get a load of crap players which would then make the gamer want to buy more points in order to gamble once more to get the players they want.. and so on and so on.
This is a gateway to serious gambling and should be removed from all games. I read the Belgian govt are looking to sell the game and remove the purchase feature from it.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Fortnite on 13:54 - Sep 3 with 1499 viewsgadgetuk

Fortnite on 13:14 - Sep 3 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

A lot of people are spouting nonsense in this thread.

This game has no 'loot boxes' and it's optional purchases are not 'gambling' as you know exactly which cosmetic item you're purchasing. It is extremely different to other games such as FIFA which offer the option to purchase 'loot boxes' where you do not know what you're going to get.

Unfortunately it seems like this child and many others are raised poorly, left to spend hours locked away playing these games and it is little surprise addictions develop.

Not normally one to agree with you Dwight, but you are spot on here. My son, daughter and I play Fortnite and it's only my boy who has shown any desire to buy some vbucks. He does this from his own money and to date he's spent around £12. It's very easy to control spending on these games unless you've raised your child in a way where they think it is perfectly ok to take a parent's bank card.

The game is addictive in the same way anything that is fun can be, and I make sure that time spent playing is limited. Apart from a bit of a moan, that is the extent of "abuse" I get from my kids.

I find it amazing when I read about kids playing it for 10 hours a day, and then being abusive to their parents - FFS that is down to shit parenting and nothing else.
Fortnite on 14:13 - Sep 3 with 1472 viewsHighjack

Fortnite on 13:19 - Sep 3 by Ebo

On Fifa 18 there is a massive problem with this. Basically you can purchase points which you use to buy packs of players. Trouble is you have no idea of what is in the pack. You could spend a fortune and get a load of crap players which would then make the gamer want to buy more points in order to gamble once more to get the players they want.. and so on and so on.
This is a gateway to serious gambling and should be removed from all games. I read the Belgian govt are looking to sell the game and remove the purchase feature from it.

Yeah and the game puts pressure on people to buy the packs because everyone gets frustrated with the opposition Ronaldo skipping past their Saudi Arabian reserve defender and slotting it past their five foot two Japanese keeper because that’s all they can afford to make it six nil after four minutes every game.

Ea’s response is you can earn coins by playing the game to buy the best players but if you earn 200 coins a match and Ronaldo costs 1.5 million then you have to play 75000 matches to be able to afford him.

At least on Fortnite the average old fart can just pick it up and play it without getting shafted by the in game pay to win system.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Fortnite on 14:32 - Sep 3 with 1455 viewsJackSomething

Fortnite on 14:13 - Sep 3 by Highjack

Yeah and the game puts pressure on people to buy the packs because everyone gets frustrated with the opposition Ronaldo skipping past their Saudi Arabian reserve defender and slotting it past their five foot two Japanese keeper because that’s all they can afford to make it six nil after four minutes every game.

Ea’s response is you can earn coins by playing the game to buy the best players but if you earn 200 coins a match and Ronaldo costs 1.5 million then you have to play 75000 matches to be able to afford him.

At least on Fortnite the average old fart can just pick it up and play it without getting shafted by the in game pay to win system.

It's surprised me a little while Battlefront 2 rightly got hammered for it's loot box set-up, FIFA only really got slammed once Battlefront had raised awareness of the practice.

It doesn't surprise me that both games are made by EA. Always been a bunch of chunts.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Fortnite on 14:45 - Sep 3 with 1443 viewsHighjack

Fortnite on 14:32 - Sep 3 by JackSomething

It's surprised me a little while Battlefront 2 rightly got hammered for it's loot box set-up, FIFA only really got slammed once Battlefront had raised awareness of the practice.

It doesn't surprise me that both games are made by EA. Always been a bunch of chunts.

Difference between the two is with Star Wars Disney owns the franchise and calls the shots, it was them that pulled the plug on the loot crates after all the negative publicity, but with FIFA EA are more than willing to squeeze every last penny out.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Fortnite on 14:52 - Sep 3 with 1435 viewsPegojack

Fortnite on 22:16 - Sep 2 by swanforthemoney

It’s all a bit tragic, isn’t it ?
Lucky the boy had a savings account to keep them afloat.

Quite so.

And it's the son's first lesson on the well known topic "Life's a Bitch".
Login to get fewer ads

Fortnite on 15:05 - Sep 3 with 1415 viewsbluey_the_blue

"At least on Fortnite the average old fart can just pick it up and play it whilst getting shafted by the script kiddies with scary crazy reflexes."

Fixed part of your post.
Fortnite on 15:31 - Sep 3 with 1398 viewsHighjack

Fortnite on 15:05 - Sep 3 by bluey_the_blue

"At least on Fortnite the average old fart can just pick it up and play it whilst getting shafted by the script kiddies with scary crazy reflexes."

Fixed part of your post.

Pfft I can outbuild any john wick.

Fortnite on 15:35 - Sep 3 with 1398 viewsCatullus

There's lots of uncontrolled spending by the looks.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/04/my-son-spent-150-on-fortnite---ho

Also, I'd argue that if you can buy better weapons, inventory slots or XP that it does help you play better, give you more chance of winning.
Many of these kids are below the recommended age which says something about modern parenting and I've been just as guilty though since he had issues we have been much more involved.
A friend once said to me that the PS/Xbox are the best and worst babysitter, I agree.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Fortnite on 15:37 - Sep 3 with 1396 viewsHighjack

Fortnite on 15:35 - Sep 3 by Catullus

There's lots of uncontrolled spending by the looks.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/04/my-son-spent-150-on-fortnite---ho

Also, I'd argue that if you can buy better weapons, inventory slots or XP that it does help you play better, give you more chance of winning.
Many of these kids are below the recommended age which says something about modern parenting and I've been just as guilty though since he had issues we have been much more involved.
A friend once said to me that the PS/Xbox are the best and worst babysitter, I agree.

You can’t buy extra weapons, inventory slots or XP.

The only things you can buy are outfits, dances and gliders.

Fortnite on 15:45 - Sep 3 with 1388 viewsCatullus

Fortnite on 15:37 - Sep 3 by Highjack

You can’t buy extra weapons, inventory slots or XP.

The only things you can buy are outfits, dances and gliders.

So this kid spent hundreds on outfits and dances????? Is this where the "Floss" came from then?
It's mad. My son stopped going to football, he wasn't interested in actually learning to play the game, he's more interested in learning all the fancy tricks the big names do thinking that's what good footballers do. He'd also rather use Barcelona to thrash Cardiff 14 nil than go to all the effort of getting pushed, pulled, fouled, told he's wrong, told to tackle, pass etc. He's not even the worst amongst his friends, some of them barely left their bedrooms these holidays whereas I was kicking him out after an hour.
Anyway, regardless of what the purchases are, there have been other problems attributed to Fortnite that I/we have experienced which did stop when we stopped him playing it.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Fortnite on 15:48 - Sep 3 with 1387 viewsLeonWasGod

Fortnite on 12:45 - Sep 3 by MrSwerve

If a game is free in the first place, I have no problem with microtransactions. The problem is when a game costs £45 in the first place, and then you have to pay for things such as certain characters, clothing and abilities (which I think is rediculous but it sucks the kids in). You can easily rack up the same amount as the game cost in the first place.

I think things like this should be illegal to be honest but no one is forcing people to buy the extras. It must be a nightmare for parents. I'm glad I grew up in an era where when you bought a game, you owned the game and everything on it.

Yeah nobody forces them, but the games are deliberately designed to suck people in and kids are least equipped to manage that compulsive behaviour. I think that's the issue that needs to be looked at - they're deliberately targeting kids, knowing it's easy for them to by these extras (whatever they're called) just with a single click. Again kids aren't necessarily aware they're spending money.

Fortnite's been bringing in £100m a month, so it's hardly a rare occurrence as some people are saying.

You have to talk to and trust your kid if you let them on it, as we do. We've had no problems and he's asked for one pass for something and that's been it. We're stopping him though - it doesn't do much for his mood even though he's only let on once or twice a week - becomes a right grumpy sod afterwards!
Fortnite on 15:51 - Sep 3 with 1379 viewsLoyal

My mates lad goes in to complete melt downs screaming and shouting, abusing his parents verbally when they stop him playing this game. Personally my view is he needs a good slotting, he is 15,however they are weak like many.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Fortnite on 15:57 - Sep 3 with 1369 viewsCatullus

Fortnite on 15:51 - Sep 3 by Loyal

My mates lad goes in to complete melt downs screaming and shouting, abusing his parents verbally when they stop him playing this game. Personally my view is he needs a good slotting, he is 15,however they are weak like many.

Our son had his meltdowns in school, threatening to blow his teachers car up!! He had strops with us but nothing like the school events. He had an argument with a friend on the street and came in, grabbed a sharp knife and we had to forcibly restrain him.
It didn't happen before Fortnite and hasn't happened since we stopped him, I think the cartoon feel to the game is part of the issue, to kids it's not realistic whereas the emotions they feel are very real. We haven't had any such issues when he's played other games.

Fortnite on 16:11 - Sep 3 with 1351 viewsLoyal

Fortnite on 15:57 - Sep 3 by Catullus

Our son had his meltdowns in school, threatening to blow his teachers car up!! He had strops with us but nothing like the school events. He had an argument with a friend on the street and came in, grabbed a sharp knife and we had to forcibly restrain him.
It didn't happen before Fortnite and hasn't happened since we stopped him, I think the cartoon feel to the game is part of the issue, to kids it's not realistic whereas the emotions they feel are very real. We haven't had any such issues when he's played other games.

I will qualify my last post.
Since this kid has dominated his parents, about the same time he has been playing this nonsense he has...
1. Punched his father several times in the face whilst he is sleeping. Broke his nose after his game thingy was taken from him.
2. Done a similar thing with a friend as your boy within minutes of being kicked out the house to play football. However he hit his mate round the head with a spade and got arrested, spat at the police. God knows how but he has some sort of restorative justice caution or whatever.
3. Final straw last Thursday when his mum came in from work with a friend and switched off the game. He threatened to rape both of them and smashed the glass in the front door.. My mate reached out to his family, he had to. He currently lives with his nan before going back to school, ok he is going to be a wrong un but the catalyst is always this game.

The change in my mate and the stress on their marriage is taking its toll, and this kid wouldn't give a fck if he ruined their lives.

Thank fck my boys are still keen to play rugby on a Saturday and Sunday.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

Fortnite on 16:21 - Sep 3 with 1337 viewsHighjack

Fortnite on 15:45 - Sep 3 by Catullus

So this kid spent hundreds on outfits and dances????? Is this where the "Floss" came from then?
It's mad. My son stopped going to football, he wasn't interested in actually learning to play the game, he's more interested in learning all the fancy tricks the big names do thinking that's what good footballers do. He'd also rather use Barcelona to thrash Cardiff 14 nil than go to all the effort of getting pushed, pulled, fouled, told he's wrong, told to tackle, pass etc. He's not even the worst amongst his friends, some of them barely left their bedrooms these holidays whereas I was kicking him out after an hour.
Anyway, regardless of what the purchases are, there have been other problems attributed to Fortnite that I/we have experienced which did stop when we stopped him playing it.

The floss dance came from some viral video originally but it is in Fortnite yeah.

Personally I can’t see how Fortnite or any game can cause someone to act like that. When I was a kid it was games like Mortal Kombat, Grand theft auto etc that terrified parents and the media who didn’t understand it. I played those games for years and I have never ripped someone’s heart out from their chest or beaten a prostitute to death with a giant purple dildo.

Fortnite on 17:13 - Sep 3 with 1314 viewsLoyal

Fortnite on 16:21 - Sep 3 by Highjack

The floss dance came from some viral video originally but it is in Fortnite yeah.

Personally I can’t see how Fortnite or any game can cause someone to act like that. When I was a kid it was games like Mortal Kombat, Grand theft auto etc that terrified parents and the media who didn’t understand it. I played those games for years and I have never ripped someone’s heart out from their chest or beaten a prostitute to death with a giant purple dildo.

The latter is acceptable by all accounts after being awake for 3 days, hold on, no, I think you got the colour wrong.

Fortnite on 17:20 - Sep 3 with 1306 viewsCatullus

Fortnite on 16:21 - Sep 3 by Highjack

I can't recall the name but a psychologist said that for the reactions like I've witnessed ther has to be something else going on. In my sons case it may well have been bullying and/or the stress at home. He has a lot to put up with at home (for a young un) because alongside my being medically retired, my wife is epileptic and has regular seizures, if I'm not at home and she has them....well it's a lot for a kid to deal with.
The "friend" he was going after with the knife had turned on him, doing some bad stuff and speaking sh/t to him all the time, my boy ignores him now.
So maybe Fortnite isn't the cause (or the only cause) but somehow a trigger?

Fortnite on 17:20 - Sep 3 with 1306 viewsHighjack

Fortnite on 17:13 - Sep 3 by Loyal

The latter is acceptable by all accounts after being awake for 3 days, hold on, no, I think you got the colour wrong.

It was definitely purple and you could find it in the shower room in the police station.

I’m pretty sure they released a black mamba dildo too but that might have been an optional add on

Fortnite on 19:46 - Sep 3 with 1274 viewsLeonWasGod

Fortnite on 13:19 - Sep 3 by Ebo

“You could spend a fortune and get a load of crap players”. Sounds familiar!
Fortnite on 11:19 - Sep 7 with 1154 viewsEbo

I play FIFA, have done for years. The SBC (squad building challenges) do help you get good players but you have to grind games and trade players. I did manage to get the dream team of Buffon, Bale, Kompany, Otamendi, Moses, Fernandinho, Laudrup, KDB, SIlva, Cavani, Higuain (Messi, Savic and Dybala on bench) just by doing SBC's and trading using the buy early sell high later method.

Never ever give a penny more than the game to EA.

The gameplay is still shit at times, especially the handicap system they have.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Fortnite on 16:31 - Sep 7 with 1119 viewscentrestandswan

Never had this trouble on Mumbles Pier arcade games, once you had spent your ten shillings it was time for the 77 bus back to town,think it was the 77?

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Fortnite on 16:55 - Sep 7 with 1110 viewsHighjack

Fortnite on 16:31 - Sep 7 by centrestandswan

Never had this trouble on Mumbles Pier arcade games, once you had spent your ten shillings it was time for the 77 bus back to town,think it was the 77?

On Fortnite you start on the 77 bus then throw yourself off over tilted towers.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024