Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich 13:02 - Feb 14 with 109928 viewsloftboy

Should the worst happen and the Russians invade, I suspect that many rich Russians in the UK will be part of the proposed sanctions, could this affect our foes down the road?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:56 - Feb 25 with 3935 viewsJuzzie

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:53 - Feb 25 by Greenbay

Every Russian sports team and every Russian individual sportsperson should not be allowed to compete immediately in anything and anywhere.
This should happen straight away - a blanket ban.
All the Governing bodies of all sports should make this decision now.
Although this would be hard - as an example - on say Russian tennis players Daniil Medvedev - the new world number 1 and Andrey Rublev who has just reached the Dubai final, we have to think of the Ukrainian people and what they are going through now.
Rublev - following his victory today, wrote on the TV camera - 'No war please'.
Both are really nice guys - both are wonderful sportsmen - but we have to look at the bigger picture.
This immediate ban on Russian sport will have some effect.
Will it happen - highly unlikely - although there is some encouragement with the Russian F1 Grand Prix being moved along with the Champions League soccer final. It's a start.

Although I'm kind of against the ordinary person being punished for the behavior of others, in this case I think it's absolutely vital. At some point the people will have to turn on him.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:18 - Feb 25 with 3819 viewsStanFan

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:53 - Feb 25 by Greenbay

Every Russian sports team and every Russian individual sportsperson should not be allowed to compete immediately in anything and anywhere.
This should happen straight away - a blanket ban.
All the Governing bodies of all sports should make this decision now.
Although this would be hard - as an example - on say Russian tennis players Daniil Medvedev - the new world number 1 and Andrey Rublev who has just reached the Dubai final, we have to think of the Ukrainian people and what they are going through now.
Rublev - following his victory today, wrote on the TV camera - 'No war please'.
Both are really nice guys - both are wonderful sportsmen - but we have to look at the bigger picture.
This immediate ban on Russian sport will have some effect.
Will it happen - highly unlikely - although there is some encouragement with the Russian F1 Grand Prix being moved along with the Champions League soccer final. It's a start.

Not saying I disagree with you but this isn't going to happen. They didn't properly ban them for industrial scale drug cheating in the Olympics so this just won't happen.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:28 - Feb 25 with 3771 viewsJuzzie

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:18 - Feb 25 by StanFan

Not saying I disagree with you but this isn't going to happen. They didn't properly ban them for industrial scale drug cheating in the Olympics so this just won't happen.

Drug cheating and invading a country are quite different.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:30 - Feb 25 with 3754 viewsNorthernr

Teams/opposition should refuse to play them. If the governing bodies won't strap a pair on, force them.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:34 - Feb 25 with 3717 viewstexasranger

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 14:31 - Feb 14 by Juzzie

From the BBC;

"In President Putin's eyes, the West promised back in 1990 that Nato would expand "not an inch to the east" but did so anyway."

I think Putin doesn't want Ukraine to join NATO, ever. He would like it to go back to pre 1997 days but, of course, that'll never happen. Can't see the west or even those 14 countries saying "OK then".

Thanks Juzzie, your post is a revealing snapshot of the background to the current situation.
Whilst not excusing Putin's methods it does explain the political history leading up this mess.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:35 - Feb 25 with 3714 viewsRangersw12

🙄
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:37 - Feb 25 with 3703 viewsRangersw12

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:30 - Feb 25 by Northernr

Teams/opposition should refuse to play them. If the governing bodies won't strap a pair on, force them.

Eurovision song contest have kicked them out which is a start

Uefa & Fifa need to follow suit. Embarrassing their teams were in the draw today
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 16:38]
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:41 - Feb 25 with 3675 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:30 - Feb 25 by Northernr

To be fair we’re only a couple of days into this but some sort of statement should be made by UEFA and so on. Even if it’s just to say that the situation is being assessed and nothing is off the table etc.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:43 - Feb 25 with 3662 viewsDWQPR

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:37 - Feb 25 by Rangersw12

Eurovision song contest have kicked them out which is a start

Uefa & Fifa need to follow suit. Embarrassing their teams were in the draw today
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 16:38]

Just heard that, now given that Vlad is a bit of a gay icon with that topless photo of him astride a horse could this be the tipping point for him?

On a serious not though the European Television Union who have made this decision has shown that they have more about them than both FIFA and UEFA. Every football union in the world should show that they are prepared to boycott the World Cup if Russia is allowed to participate in the forthcoming play offs (although to be fair the match between them and Poland could be interesting given the history between the two countries), and the same should be said of all clubs left in European club competition if Spartak Moscow are not kicked out.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:52 - Feb 25 with 3604 viewsjoe90

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:34 - Feb 25 by texasranger

Thanks Juzzie, your post is a revealing snapshot of the background to the current situation.
Whilst not excusing Putin's methods it does explain the political history leading up this mess.

It doesn't fully explain the background to the current situation. For further context see the map of the Eastern Bloc below:

Referring to the former Eastern Bloc states joining NATO as a NATO expansion is misleading. It was the Soviet Union that expanded it's boarders through force. NATO simply allowed independent countries join a security alliance.

The fact of the matter is, the Soviet Union lost the ideological argument and Putin can't accept it. We shouldn't forget this.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 17:11 - Feb 25 with 3521 viewsgobbles

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:52 - Feb 25 by joe90

It doesn't fully explain the background to the current situation. For further context see the map of the Eastern Bloc below:

Referring to the former Eastern Bloc states joining NATO as a NATO expansion is misleading. It was the Soviet Union that expanded it's boarders through force. NATO simply allowed independent countries join a security alliance.

The fact of the matter is, the Soviet Union lost the ideological argument and Putin can't accept it. We shouldn't forget this.

How the Soviets crushed the Hungarians and the Czechs when they bid for independence should not be forgotten. Moscow had every country right up to the middle of Germany held under a totalitarian regime. Those excusing Putin seem to think freedom is OK for some, but not for Ukrainians
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 17:12 - Feb 25 with 3485 viewsSonofpugwash

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 15:40 - Feb 25 by loftus77

I'm surprised our media doesn't make people more aware of the scale of the Belt and Road Initiative.

Probably most people 'in the street' are (understandably) unaware of 'BRI', yet its implications (of the Chinese govt owning and operating ports and transport links along major world trading routes; Africa, South Asia etc) ) are, IMHO, potentially enormous.

And one of these routes include the ports in the Russian Far North, so its a major future cornerstone of Sino-Russian co-operation in the future. One to watch closely.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 15:42]

China's support of Putin is evaporating.There is all to lose globally and seemingly nothing to gain by his actions.Vlad The Invader should recognise this and back off otherwise he won't get to enjoy his fabulous personal riches as the No.1 pariah he will become.

[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 17:15]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 17:23 - Feb 25 with 3428 viewsJamesB1979

Quite emotional watching the ordinary Ukrainians (non soldiers) defend themselves and fight. Probably working normal job earlier in week and now with a gun out defending their family, country and home.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 17:34 - Feb 25 with 3380 viewsR_from_afar

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 17:23 - Feb 25 by JamesB1979

Quite emotional watching the ordinary Ukrainians (non soldiers) defend themselves and fight. Probably working normal job earlier in week and now with a gun out defending their family, country and home.

Good point. It's heart breaking. How has it come to this? Putin, gripped by paranoia, seems to think NATO is an imperial power whereas it's a purely defensive organisation.

Incredible to see the Russians now threatening Finland and Sweden with dire consequences if they join.

I can only hope that the Russian people quickly realise that Putin is going to turn Russia into a crippled, poverty stricken pariah state and remove him from power.

While I am here: This is a only a very small gesture, but I have just been told that my company is making its consumer security software available to Ukrainians for free. That made me feel proud

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 18:46 - Feb 25 with 3232 viewsJuzzie

The mother in law is currently watching the Russian equivalent of BBC1/Sky1 and they are not happy with what is going on.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 19:04 - Feb 25 with 3137 viewsSheffieldHoop

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 18:46 - Feb 25 by Juzzie

The mother in law is currently watching the Russian equivalent of BBC1/Sky1 and they are not happy with what is going on.

Well, 3000 men and 80 tanks lost in 2 days. Putin has miscalculated, if true.

Pretty inspiring seeing the likes of the Klitschko bros and Usyk on the front lines. It's the bare minimum you would expect in that situation I suppose. But quite a contrast from Afghan 6 months ago.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 19:05 - Feb 25 with 3157 viewsJuzzie

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 19:04 - Feb 25 by SheffieldHoop

Well, 3000 men and 80 tanks lost in 2 days. Putin has miscalculated, if true.

Pretty inspiring seeing the likes of the Klitschko bros and Usyk on the front lines. It's the bare minimum you would expect in that situation I suppose. But quite a contrast from Afghan 6 months ago.

They are not happy about the invasion, not the fact they have lost men and tanks.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 19:09 - Feb 25 with 3115 viewsSheffieldHoop

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 19:05 - Feb 25 by Juzzie

They are not happy about the invasion, not the fact they have lost men and tanks.

On Russian TV? Brave

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 20:02 - Feb 25 with 2986 viewsSonofpugwash

Apparently Vlad The Invader is considering using Thermobaric weapons like the Yanks did in Afghanistan. In the urban environment indiscriminate and barbaric.

"The [blast] kill mechanism against living targets is unique–and unpleasant.... What kills is the pressure wave, and more importantly, the subsequent rarefaction [vacuum], which ruptures the lungs.... If the fuel deflagrates but does not detonate, victims will be severely burned and will probably also inhale the burning fuel. Since the most common FAE fuels, ethylene oxide and propylene oxide, are highly toxic, undetonated FAE should prove as lethal to personnel caught within the cloud as most chemical agents.
The effect of an FAE explosion within confined spaces is immense. Those near the ignition point are obliterated. Those at the fringe are likely to suffer many internal, and thus invisible injuries, including burst eardrums and crushed inner ear organs, severe concussions, ruptured lungs and internal organs, and possibly blindness."

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 20:16 - Feb 25 with 2971 viewsBlackCrowe

Eh? The UK have been calling ban Russia from the SWIFT payment system since January when it became apparent about the game in play (it would genuinely hurt Russia). Alas EU, even today, can't agree with that as Germany and Italy don't want that due to self interest.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 21:36 - Feb 25 with 2806 viewsCiderwithRsie

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 16:28 - Feb 25 by Juzzie

Drug cheating and invading a country are quite different.

Actually I think they're closer than you think.

Look at that poor ice-skater kid. Pretty clearly doped.

Leave aside the cheating side. It's certainly bad for her health. And she's just a kid. If she chose to do it, her coaches should have found out and stopped it for her own sake. The public slagging from her coach doesn't suggest a lot of welfare concern and you've got to suspect that she was told what to take.

And that's been going on since I was a kid when Stan Bowles was playing for us. All the bloody time. There are real horror stories of survivors of the hormones and drugs.

The whole approach is about total disregard of human beings for the sake of making Russia/USSR look good on the podium plus lying blatantly about it - we know they're lying, they know we know, they do it anyway and laugh at us.

Any of that starting to ring any bells about what's happening in Ukraine? It's like I wouldn't trust my daughter with a bloke who kicked a cat - it's a whole political system built on lying, bullying and some f*cked -up idea of national pride.

(The IOC won't do a thing though, same sort of people themselves.)
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 23:05 - Feb 25 with 2670 viewsDamo1962

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 17:23 - Feb 25 by JamesB1979

Agree. Very humbling to see such bravery. I was thinking what I would do in the same situation and my mind kept coming back to the line" better to die on your feet, than to live in your knees". I don't have any children...so the decision would be easier for me I expect.
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 00:13 - Feb 26 with 2578 viewsJamesB1979

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 23:05 - Feb 25 by Damo1962

Agree. Very humbling to see such bravery. I was thinking what I would do in the same situation and my mind kept coming back to the line" better to die on your feet, than to live in your knees". I don't have any children...so the decision would be easier for me I expect.

Its a good point. I’d like to think I’d stand and fight. I do have a family. But who knows. If some Russian tanks are approaching do I run or fight. Guess no one knows until it happens.

“First they came for the Ukrainians, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not a Ukrainian”
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 00:34 - Feb 26 with 2550 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 13:27 - Feb 25 by ted_hendrix

Spare a thought for Mr Ukraine, an ordinary bloke who has had to grab his wife and two kids, his dog and cat and run like hell leaving behind his very existance that he's fought so hard to protect, his home his future all just about to disappear.
He never done no harm to nobody he just got on with his life trying to keep his shit together and now it's all gone, his two kids will be terrified as will his wife.
WTF has he done to deserve this?
Just an ordinary bloke like most of us living here, I don't know who he is but I hope he and his family makes to some sort of an existance.
The poor bastard, the poor ordinary Mr Ukraine bloke, all he ever wanted to do is keep his family and shit together like all of us, yes spare a thought for him.

We'll f uck this planet of ours, we honestly will.

Powerful post there ted but its even worse than that tonight.He will not be allowed to leave with his wife and kids ,instead forced to stay and fight.
Yesterdays video of a man volunteering to fight and crying with his little girl at the station was heartbreaking but now they are making the men and boys stay.
How can those boys fight its just going to be a massacre .I would rather see a takeover without that
Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 09:05 - Feb 26 with 2289 viewsJuzzie

Russia, Ukraine & Abramovich on 19:09 - Feb 25 by SheffieldHoop

On Russian TV? Brave

Looks like I misinterpreted what was said. More talk over breakfast this morning and it seems the TV station were talking about how the pictures and footage are fake. Not from Kiev but places like the Donbas region and from past encounters. Kiev is ok, it hasn’t been attacked. Suffice to say breakfast was a little fraught!

I did explain that a lot of those pictures have been debunked by organisations such as the BBC and they are being portrayed by ‘social media’ which should not be taken as credible sources of information.

I asked what they would feel if it turns out Kiev is being attacked and the pictures are genuine, would they change their stance?

“Yes”

So, the war is clearly being waged pretty much right into everyone’s homes all over the world.

Propaganda very much alive and well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024