Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are you reading? thread 20:20 - Dec 7 with 9343 viewsC_jack

Surprised this hasn't made the transition over.

I'll start, storming through 'Do The Birds Still Sing In Hell?' at the moment, a story about a POW in WW2 who escaped (and returned) over 200 times to have an affair with a German interpretor. Slight love story combined with a harrowing account of POW life.

Heard both positive/negative reviews but am enjoying it at the moment.

Post yours!

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

What are you reading? thread on 13:04 - Jan 4 with 1757 viewsShaky

What are you reading? thread on 20:07 - Jan 3 by Lohengrin

No, unfortunately. It was years ago and like a lot of things has either been lost or thrown out, I think. If I do come across it in a box up the attic or somewhere I'll let you know. I don't imagine it contained anything strikingly original, I'm sorry to say. I recall being quite taken with him so it would read like some starry-eyed hagiograph.

OK thanks.

Clearly this is not statistically significant, but I find it interesting that we seem to have read many of the same things and admire the same people yet we apparently emerge on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

I suspect that is because you are probably not as good at economics as I am ;-)

So if you are interested, I suggest you have a read through this book which can be had used off Amazon for the princely sum of 1p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Economy-Since-Wars-Personal/dp/1856194159/ref=sr_1

Galbraith is an old school style economist who largely dispenses with graphs and identities and instead focuses of description, and regardless of whether he is able to sway your opinions I am certain you will enjoy his brilliant style of writing.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

What are you reading? thread on 19:53 - Jan 4 with 1718 viewsLohengrin

What are you reading? thread on 13:04 - Jan 4 by Shaky

OK thanks.

Clearly this is not statistically significant, but I find it interesting that we seem to have read many of the same things and admire the same people yet we apparently emerge on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

I suspect that is because you are probably not as good at economics as I am ;-)

So if you are interested, I suggest you have a read through this book which can be had used off Amazon for the princely sum of 1p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Economy-Since-Wars-Personal/dp/1856194159/ref=sr_1

Galbraith is an old school style economist who largely dispenses with graphs and identities and instead focuses of description, and regardless of whether he is able to sway your opinions I am certain you will enjoy his brilliant style of writing.

Not as good at economics? I suspect you're right.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a little of Galbraith, not much. I may well dig a bit deeper although I'm still scarred by the memory of having to wade through Keynes's General Theory!
[Post edited 4 Jan 2014 19:54]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

What are you reading? thread on 21:03 - Jan 4 with 1692 viewsPinky

What are you reading? thread on 19:53 - Jan 4 by Lohengrin

Not as good at economics? I suspect you're right.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a little of Galbraith, not much. I may well dig a bit deeper although I'm still scarred by the memory of having to wade through Keynes's General Theory!
[Post edited 4 Jan 2014 19:54]

I think that Galbraith is very readable. Another very readable Macro economist is Joseph Stiglitz. I find Macroeconomics more interesting than Micro because I think that a lot of Microeconomics comes naturally if you're exposed to the workplace, or investing etc. You can speed through one of his books. They're all very entertaining. He was Chief Economist of the World Bank for a while before he got kicked out for disagreeing with their policies, and altered his views from ascendent neoliberal economics to a more interventionist school of economics. Most of his books are brilliant and enlightening reads which cast the policies that you'd read about in a book like "The Commanding Heights" (still a brilliant read, though a very neoliberal "all is rosy" one) in a different light. I'd still recommend reading some von Mises and Hayek etc. in addition to somebody like Stiglitz though so that you can create your own personal rounded view on things. Without revealing my personal economic position (I doubt anyone cares - I wouldn't!), I try to avoid doctrinarian economic conformity and feel that a contrasting viewpoint is always welcome. I find Stiglitz to be a very good writer about contemporary international economics and would recommend all of his books as introductory texts to the field. Other good books (though again, I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with them fully) are the Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein and Austerity by Mark Blyth. Those are very much against neoliberal economics, but I don't need to suggest texts to provide the neoliberal counterarguments - there are plenty on Amazon! These are all very accessible though very lucid and stimulating and I'll be happy to recommend some more if anyone is interested - just let me know.

Hopefully that's legible. Saturday night is wine night. All the best.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2014 21:11]
What are you reading? thread on 21:21 - Jan 4 with 1683 viewsPinky

As less intellectually challenging reads to those I suggested in my previous post, in my free time I'm currently reading "The Phantom" by Jo Nesbo. I've read the rest of his Harry Hole novels up to this one and I love them. Crime novels are what I read when I'm not reading non-fiction. They really are brilliant. I'd recommend starting on "The Redbreast" rather than on "The Bat" or "Cockroaches", even though, chronologically, they come before. The Bat and Cockroaches were only translated into English from Norwegian recently, and that The Redbreast was the first one translated into English should tell you that it's a good starting point. Either get them in book form, or do what I've been doing, and get them on Audible so that you can listen to them when you're exercising or going to sleep. They're great.
What are you reading? thread on 21:49 - Jan 4 with 1672 viewslifelong

What are you reading? thread on 21:21 - Jan 4 by Pinky

As less intellectually challenging reads to those I suggested in my previous post, in my free time I'm currently reading "The Phantom" by Jo Nesbo. I've read the rest of his Harry Hole novels up to this one and I love them. Crime novels are what I read when I'm not reading non-fiction. They really are brilliant. I'd recommend starting on "The Redbreast" rather than on "The Bat" or "Cockroaches", even though, chronologically, they come before. The Bat and Cockroaches were only translated into English from Norwegian recently, and that The Redbreast was the first one translated into English should tell you that it's a good starting point. Either get them in book form, or do what I've been doing, and get them on Audible so that you can listen to them when you're exercising or going to sleep. They're great.

I'm looking for some reading suggestions and I see on Kindle the Oslo Trilogy: The Redbreast, Nemesis and The Devil's Star is available for £8.96. I shall give them a try.
What are you reading? thread on 22:37 - Jan 4 with 1654 viewsgyrjack

Zulu Rising by Ian Knight -- factual book, hard going but doesnt half make you think. Funny bit is, watched Zulu yesterday and its not bad factually, poetic license etc -- still scares me!
What are you reading? thread on 16:52 - Jan 24 with 1586 viewsC_jack

About to crack on with the Wolf of Wall street book, not seen the movie.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

What are you reading? thread on 17:02 - Jan 24 with 1579 viewsJoe_bradshaw

What are you reading? thread on 16:52 - Jan 24 by C_jack

About to crack on with the Wolf of Wall street book, not seen the movie.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

What are you reading? thread on 17:18 - Jan 24 with 1569 viewsperchrockjack

Catastrophe.Max HASTINGS

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

What are you reading? thread on 17:24 - Jan 24 with 1565 viewspansypants

Harpo Speaks by Harpo Marx.

Best autobiog I've read

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

What are you reading? thread on 10:50 - Mar 6 with 1514 viewslifelong

What are you reading? thread on 21:21 - Jan 4 by Pinky

Read 'The Bat' and enjoyed it.

Discovered Michael Kerr on Kindle and just finished the third of his 'DI Matt Barnes' books, really enjoyed them. The first in the series 'A Reason To Kill' is free on Kindle and the subsequent two, 'Lethal Intent' and 'A Need To Kill' are £3 each.
What are you reading? thread on 13:24 - Mar 6 with 1484 viewsfergusferret

What are you reading? thread on 07:01 - Dec 8 by Dr_Winston

Robert Rankin's Brentford Trilogy.

love his books
just read "nostradamus ate my hamster"

The Author is completely of his head
What are you reading? thread on 15:17 - Mar 6 with 1464 viewsCaptain

Been trying to read Zlatan's autobiography lately but it's tough. Looks like he typed the thing up himself one afternoon and printed it.

https://www.facebook.com/canadianswans A facebook page for Swansea City fans in Canada. Please like, share and spread the word!

What are you reading? thread on 15:25 - Mar 6 with 1460 viewsthedrownedman

Jo Nesbo is excellent.

Just started The Daylight Gate by Jeanette Winterson. Really only a handful of pages into it so can't comment much, however it is about the Witch Trials of Lancashire. last book I read was le Carre's The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. Just excellent.
What are you reading? thread on 07:36 - Mar 7 with 1431 viewsSwanjack10

Fergies autobiography is a good read, now enjoying david jasons autobiography.

ambition is critical....................
Poll: do you think swanjack10 should be a moderator?

What are you reading? thread on 09:28 - Mar 7 with 1378 viewspansypants

David Jason's autobiog is a good read much more of a read than George Cole's which was a bit more like a year by year account of what he'd done on screen and stage.

Harpo Marx's autobiog was so entertaining I've just started Groucho Marx's which looks as if it could be even funnier!!

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

What are you reading? thread on 16:35 - Mar 7 with 1359 viewsDr_Winston

Burning my way through the works of Joe Abercrombie. Technically "fantasy" but don't let that put you off.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

What are you reading? thread on 17:27 - Mar 7 with 1350 viewslonglostjack

What are you reading? thread on 21:49 - Jan 4 by lifelong

I'm looking for some reading suggestions and I see on Kindle the Oslo Trilogy: The Redbreast, Nemesis and The Devil's Star is available for £8.96. I shall give them a try.

I enjoy Jo Nesbo - just finished the Redeemer.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

What are you reading? thread on 01:36 - Mar 8 with 1323 viewsReaver

I'm about a third of my way through. It's been entertaining so far.
What are you reading? thread on 11:19 - Apr 7 with 1251 viewsTheArtChappy

I'm reading Necropolis London and it's dead a very good read on how London has dealt with it's dead through the ages

The Art Chappy A.K.A Chris Chapman
Poll: should 3pm kick offs be allowed to be brocasted live

What are you reading? thread on 11:27 - Apr 7 with 1248 viewsLohengrin

What are you reading? thread on 11:19 - Apr 7 by TheArtChappy

I'm reading Necropolis London and it's dead a very good read on how London has dealt with it's dead through the ages

I heard a review of that on the radio recently. It sounds fascinating.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

What are you reading? thread on 22:30 - Apr 18 with 1194 viewsTheArtChappy

What are you reading? thread on 11:27 - Apr 7 by Lohengrin

I heard a review of that on the radio recently. It sounds fascinating.

It was a great read. I've finished the hungergames, really enjoyed them. Starting the name of the rose by Patrick Rothfuss recommended to me by one of my local librarians

The Art Chappy A.K.A Chris Chapman
Poll: should 3pm kick offs be allowed to be brocasted live

What are you reading? thread on 22:40 - Apr 18 with 1189 viewsLeonisGod

'How to do everything and be happy'. No, seriously. It's bollox but I'm a sucker for self help books. I never do anything they recommend, but seeing how low some people sink makes me feel my life has at least some purpose .

Btw, this book has a good tip. Get a f*ck off big pin board and fill it with stuff you do this year. Napoli ticket, holiday snaps, whatever. At the end of the year stuff it all in an envelope marked 2014 and stick it in the loft. Most people will never open it again, but if you're a manic depressive you'll be able to look back in years ahead and realise your life was'nt complete and utter sh*t!
What are you reading? thread on 23:52 - Apr 18 with 1170 viewsSwanseajill

What are you reading? thread on 18:37 - Jan 3 by Swanzay

I'm currently reading (for the 2nd time) after a good few years, 'The Smartest Guys in the Room', the story of Enron. Fantastic real life page turner and just goes to show how corrupt corporations can be.

I'm also on the 1st few pages of the Phils's Trust book, to early yet to give a view, just read Sir Huw's forward, thus far.

Phil's book is interesting, nice photo in there too.
What are you reading? thread on 06:57 - Apr 19 with 1152 viewsDr_Winston

Just finished Conn Iggulden's Emperor Series (about Julius Caesar). Halfway through his Khan Series (about Genghis). Also got World War Z on the go again.

All recommended.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024