Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play 16:27 - May 3 with 1746 viewsDavillin

I have recently been critical of Ayew's lack of self-discipline on the pitch, blah, blah, blah. Without following him around, I would see him pop up at any time anywhere on the pitch.

Well, I must reassess his performance in that regard, based on the Liverpool game, where he quite clearly stayied more disciplined than at any time since he arrived.

It was a great pleasure watching him work with Gylfi up front, shifting intelligently from side to side to stay with the opponents' play, and, with Gylfi, keeping a good football distance in sync with the midfield.

I'd go as far as to say that this was part of the reason for his two goals, but I wouldn't want to stretch that too far.

Regardless of that, I compliment him on his play and hope that it will continue. In my view, he was a different football player against Liverpool.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:40 - May 3 with 1706 viewslondonlisa2001

The role he was playing against Liverpool though was one that requires less self discipline and more freedom to roam.

He is intrinsically a selfish player - I don't mean that critically as many good players are, but I always get the impression he likes to be in the place where he is more likely to score himself. Up front he is best placed to do that, whereas on the wing, or wider in a diamond, he automatically drifts to the centre. There have been a number of occasions where that instinct gets in the way of our front player (you can see it best when the ball comes in from the left and he's in Paloschi's way rather than staying out to the right for the over hit ball which given Taylor's crossing ability means it sails over both of their heads).

So I agree he was a different player, but question whether it was really due to better discipline from him or simply a position that more suits his personality.

On a wider note, I am still not certain of his best position - forward is better than wide but I suspect he is most effective as a second striker. Given we don't play like that, I still think we may choose to cash in this summer unless we believe we can develop him to fit us.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:54 - May 3 with 1673 viewssully49

Yet he still dedicated his goals to GM, that was a slap in the face to the Club. Also given half a chance http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3569243/Andre-Ayew-offered-pla

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:56 - May 3 with 1666 viewsA_Fans_Dad

It is nothing new, it is how he was playing at the beginning of the season, before the whole side went down hill.
The whole side benefits from having wide fast players to give more space, they also get the ball in to the Penalty Area from different angles, ie behind the defence.
But you have to give Ayew credit, he is very good at winning the ball and using it in tight spaces.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:59 - May 3 with 1647 viewsjack247

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:56 - May 3 by A_Fans_Dad

It is nothing new, it is how he was playing at the beginning of the season, before the whole side went down hill.
The whole side benefits from having wide fast players to give more space, they also get the ball in to the Penalty Area from different angles, ie behind the defence.
But you have to give Ayew credit, he is very good at winning the ball and using it in tight spaces.

He was (nominally) playing on the wing at the start of the season.

He just suits a free role better than one where he has to hold a position. He did play very well though.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:59 - May 3 with 1644 viewsDavillin

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:54 - May 3 by sully49

Yet he still dedicated his goals to GM, that was a slap in the face to the Club. Also given half a chance http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3569243/Andre-Ayew-offered-pla

Please allow me to disagree a bit. I don't think it was intended as a slap in the face to the club. First, Ayew doesn't seem the type to do that. Second, with his cultural background so different from the British, I doubt he wold see what he said as insulting, but rather as a compliment to someone who gave him his big chance [if I were more cynical, "who made him filthy rich"]

I am otherwise neutral about Ayew, now that I've cleared up the "self-discipline" issue.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 17:06 - May 3 with 1614 viewsLegend83

The conundrum for somebody far cleverer than myself is whether then 5-10 goals he might provide over the course of a season is worth the perceived negative impact he has on the balance of the team.

Given the rest of our midfield (barring Siggy) are barely able to contribute more than 5 goals collectively, I think he is worth persevering with.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 17:27 - May 3 with 1559 viewssully49

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:59 - May 3 by Davillin

Please allow me to disagree a bit. I don't think it was intended as a slap in the face to the club. First, Ayew doesn't seem the type to do that. Second, with his cultural background so different from the British, I doubt he wold see what he said as insulting, but rather as a compliment to someone who gave him his big chance [if I were more cynical, "who made him filthy rich"]

I am otherwise neutral about Ayew, now that I've cleared up the "self-discipline" issue.

I truly hope you're right Dav, he is a brilliant player and could be a (partial) answer to our striker problem. I would certainly keep him in there for the remaining games. I qualify partial as I don't think he can play there full time but who know's?

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 17:31 - May 3 with 1547 viewsDr_Winston

If you're going to include Ayew then tactically you have to consider the fact that he's going to wander, something that we never really did. Under Monk because he simply didn't have the nous, and under Guidolin because it wasn't the time to rejig the team setup to accommodate a single player.

Personally I'd have quite liked to see him in Laudrup's three winger 4-3-3. He's a player clearly capable of scoring goals. To dismiss his contribution as glibly as some people have been lately is a bit silly.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 17:40 - May 3 with 1521 viewssully49

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 17:31 - May 3 by Dr_Winston

If you're going to include Ayew then tactically you have to consider the fact that he's going to wander, something that we never really did. Under Monk because he simply didn't have the nous, and under Guidolin because it wasn't the time to rejig the team setup to accommodate a single player.

Personally I'd have quite liked to see him in Laudrup's three winger 4-3-3. He's a player clearly capable of scoring goals. To dismiss his contribution as glibly as some people have been lately is a bit silly.

Even though I was critical of his judgment, I completely agree with you.

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 17:45 - May 3 with 1510 viewsDarran

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 17:31 - May 3 by Dr_Winston

Are you saying there that Monk didn't have the nous to coach him?

Ayew was outstanding on Sunday in my opinion,he's a classy player who's always going to be an asset when we are playing our attacking game.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:01 - May 3 with 1469 viewslondonlisa2001

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 17:45 - May 3 by Darran

Are you saying there that Monk didn't have the nous to coach him?

Ayew was outstanding on Sunday in my opinion,he's a classy player who's always going to be an asset when we are playing our attacking game.

I could be cynical and say he's always going to be an asset when playing against a club his agent is desperate for him to join.

I look forward to the same again this weekend as he's also interested in West Ham according to rumour !

In all seriousness I think he's a good player, although not quick enough for one of the top clubs I wouldn't have thought. I still think we may cash in as we need to build a squad and he's (a) worth money and (b) doesn't quite fit us (caveat - unless we change styles next year of course with a new manager). I like him though and with a bit of coaching he could do really well for us.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:13 - May 3 with 1445 viewsmax936

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 16:40 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

The role he was playing against Liverpool though was one that requires less self discipline and more freedom to roam.

He is intrinsically a selfish player - I don't mean that critically as many good players are, but I always get the impression he likes to be in the place where he is more likely to score himself. Up front he is best placed to do that, whereas on the wing, or wider in a diamond, he automatically drifts to the centre. There have been a number of occasions where that instinct gets in the way of our front player (you can see it best when the ball comes in from the left and he's in Paloschi's way rather than staying out to the right for the over hit ball which given Taylor's crossing ability means it sails over both of their heads).

So I agree he was a different player, but question whether it was really due to better discipline from him or simply a position that more suits his personality.

On a wider note, I am still not certain of his best position - forward is better than wide but I suspect he is most effective as a second striker. Given we don't play like that, I still think we may choose to cash in this summer unless we believe we can develop him to fit us.

Fair play to him though, whenever he gets a chance in front of goal its not often that he misses.
I'd leave him up top for the last two games why not, what's to lose.?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:23 - May 3 with 1415 viewslondonlisa2001

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:13 - May 3 by max936

Fair play to him though, whenever he gets a chance in front of goal its not often that he misses.
I'd leave him up top for the last two games why not, what's to lose.?

I'd not be upset if we left him up front, but neither would I be upset to see Paloschi given a chance to get a goal or two with a bit less pressure on him to kick start next season (if he's fit of course).

I'm pretty sure Paloschi will be one of our options for next season up front whereas I'm not sure Ayew will be.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:27 - May 3 with 1407 viewsmax936

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:23 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

I'd not be upset if we left him up front, but neither would I be upset to see Paloschi given a chance to get a goal or two with a bit less pressure on him to kick start next season (if he's fit of course).

I'm pretty sure Paloschi will be one of our options for next season up front whereas I'm not sure Ayew will be.

Don't think Albert is fit, didn't they say that is season is over? I see your point, but I really think Ayew has got more nous in front of goal and more likely to score, I'm a fan of Albert though his time will come.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:55 - May 3 with 1372 viewsploppy

I heard him dedicate his goals to Monk. Does anyone know what that means? It's always baffled me.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:58 - May 3 with 1364 viewsDarran

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:55 - May 3 by ploppy

I heard him dedicate his goals to Monk. Does anyone know what that means? It's always baffled me.

Was that his 10th goal?
He said something about Monk taking him aside in pre-season and telling him he expected him to get at least 10 goals.

Or summin like that anyway.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 19:20 - May 3 with 1335 viewsJJJack

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 18:58 - May 3 by Darran

Was that his 10th goal?
He said something about Monk taking him aside in pre-season and telling him he expected him to get at least 10 goals.

Basically that's what he said. Absolutely nothing in the comment. The players all know FG is going so there isn't a question of loyalty etc is there? Ayew is professional but only wanted to use us as a stepping stone to "bigger and better things" though WTF his agent was on about in January trying to whore him to Sunderland was fecking wierd.
Fecking Sunderland!!
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 19:27 - May 3 with 1306 viewsTheKirkyLife

I've never NOT been a fan of Ayew. He tries hard and is always frustrated to be pulled off - a sign of someone who wants to make an impact and help his team.

I just can't figure out what to do with him. We'll see if he keeps playing in the striker role for the next couple of games and how well he does yet he seems convinced that he isn't a striker.

But then he isn't a winger either and that just leaves him in Gylfi's position and I'd take Gylfi any day.

As harsh as it may be I actually feel he's the perfect super sub. You could literally put him on in place of any other attacker and he'd provide something very different. A luxury player which is fine when you're being paid mega bucks but perhaps not at Swansea.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 19:31 - May 3 with 1298 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Was that his 10th goal?

Yes, finished his dedication by saying "he's no longer the gaffer, but he's the one who brought me here."

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 19:32 - May 3 with 1291 viewsJJJack

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 19:27 - May 3 by TheKirkyLife

I've never NOT been a fan of Ayew. He tries hard and is always frustrated to be pulled off - a sign of someone who wants to make an impact and help his team.

I just can't figure out what to do with him. We'll see if he keeps playing in the striker role for the next couple of games and how well he does yet he seems convinced that he isn't a striker.

But then he isn't a winger either and that just leaves him in Gylfi's position and I'd take Gylfi any day.

As harsh as it may be I actually feel he's the perfect super sub. You could literally put him on in place of any other attacker and he'd provide something very different. A luxury player which is fine when you're being paid mega bucks but perhaps not at Swansea.

He's been at his best up front IMO. Sunday + Everton away and Sunderland home.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 20:45 - May 3 with 1191 viewsploppy

Was that his 10th goal?

Indeed. I just find the whole concept of dedicating goals or wins a bit odd, that's all. Not sure what it means. I mean, you can't put them on your mantlepiece or use them to buy your shopping or tell your grandchildren that you scored them. Weird.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 21:49 - May 3 with 1106 viewsblaine_scfc

Prefer him up front to on the wing. Must be a nightmare to play against, doesn't give defenders an inch. He's a definite keep in my opinion.
My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 22:00 - May 3 with 1078 viewsfelixstowe_jack

He seems to be a better centre forward than Gomis and Palo and a natural goal scorer. Unless we buy a better centre forward in the Summer I would prefer to play him in his best position where I am sure he could improve on the 10 goals he has scored this season instead of trying to play him as a winger.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 22:03 - May 3 with 1067 viewssully49

My Personal Reassessment of Ayew's Play on 21:49 - May 3 by blaine_scfc

Prefer him up front to on the wing. Must be a nightmare to play against, doesn't give defenders an inch. He's a definite keep in my opinion.

Particularly with JM, MB or WR hammering down either wing and GS (KSY) and JC coming through the centre. It sounds brilliant said like this but in the real world!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024