Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dorus De Vries 17:32 - Mar 20 with 3961 viewsDarran

Remember when he was breaking records?
Did well for us.

http://mobile.swanseacity.net//news/article/2016-17/swansea-city-dorus-de-vries-

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Dorus De Vries on 17:36 - Mar 20 with 3464 viewsOldjack

The only reason he broke records was we had a solid defense and he had very little to do. Didn't Dorris say Wolves had a far better chance of staying in the Prem than us ,and that's why he joined them

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Dorus De Vries on 18:08 - Mar 20 with 3412 viewsABERSWAN

Dorus De Vries on 17:36 - Mar 20 by Oldjack

The only reason he broke records was we had a solid defense and he had very little to do. Didn't Dorris say Wolves had a far better chance of staying in the Prem than us ,and that's why he joined them

That's what I remember as well,but it's a choice I am sure he has regretted many times over the years as he sits down to watch the Sunday afternoon games on sky,featuring Swansea. Sure Brendan would have had him down as our number one in the prem,but his contract was up,so we went and signed Vorm.
Dorus De Vries on 19:07 - Mar 20 with 3329 viewsLoyal

Dorus De Vries on 18:08 - Mar 20 by ABERSWAN

That's what I remember as well,but it's a choice I am sure he has regretted many times over the years as he sits down to watch the Sunday afternoon games on sky,featuring Swansea. Sure Brendan would have had him down as our number one in the prem,but his contract was up,so we went and signed Vorm.

He went for money as well.
Has stated several times it was a mistake, for us of course it wasn't.
Glad he went.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Dorus De Vries on 19:19 - Mar 20 with 3309 viewsJBT95

We'd have gone down with him in goal. Vorm pretty much made the difference between us staying up and going down that first season.
Dorus De Vries on 19:50 - Mar 20 with 3260 viewsChief

A decent keeper for the level we were at and a blessing in disguise that he left as it allowed us to sign a better keeper, who in turn left a few years later and allowed us to sign a better keeper again. Pity some other positions in the team haven't progressed as seamlessly as the GK

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Dorus De Vries on 21:57 - Mar 20 with 3100 viewsKilkennyjack

Dorus De Vries on 19:50 - Mar 20 by Chief

A decent keeper for the level we were at and a blessing in disguise that he left as it allowed us to sign a better keeper, who in turn left a few years later and allowed us to sign a better keeper again. Pity some other positions in the team haven't progressed as seamlessly as the GK

Fair point

Beware of the Risen People

Dorus De Vries on 22:28 - Mar 20 with 3068 viewsnyc_swans

Vorm was never the same after he got injured, but his performance in the first premier league season was a big step above anything Fabianski has done.
Dorus De Vries on 00:24 - Mar 21 with 3018 viewsJack_Kass

Eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarhhhhhhhhhh

Every time the opposition had a free kick

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Login to get fewer ads

Dorus De Vries on 08:06 - Mar 21 with 2886 viewsMoscowJack

To be fair to DDV, I don't blame him for going for the money.

He was in the Scottish Premier League before joining us, I think. He was earning approximately £500-£700 per week at the time.

He then joined us in League 1, where he was earning £1,000 a week plus bonuses when he joined.

When we went to the Championship, I was told that he was on £2.5k a week, which was a big jump, but a far cry from the £15k that Wolves were offering him, with no relegation clause. We were (allegedly) willing to match that, but with the relegation clause.

Considering the odds at the time, Wolves was a far safer choice, especially as he would still be paid the same if Wolves did go down.

As a player who never became super-rich from playing with us or in Scotland, I understood his reasons for leaving. A long-term contract on £15k a week would set up his family forever. Staying with us could have meant £15k for one season, which is quite a difference.

Thankfully, for us, it proved to be a blessing in disguise, but I didn't blame him for leaving for one second and will always be a Swans legend in my eyes for what he did to help get us from League 1 to the PL.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Dorus De Vries on 09:33 - Mar 21 with 2830 viewsPapaLazarou

Jesus Christ, that's a poor article.

Littered with mistakes.
Dorus De Vries on 09:49 - Mar 21 with 2820 viewsPegojack

Dorus De Vries on 08:06 - Mar 21 by MoscowJack

To be fair to DDV, I don't blame him for going for the money.

He was in the Scottish Premier League before joining us, I think. He was earning approximately £500-£700 per week at the time.

He then joined us in League 1, where he was earning £1,000 a week plus bonuses when he joined.

When we went to the Championship, I was told that he was on £2.5k a week, which was a big jump, but a far cry from the £15k that Wolves were offering him, with no relegation clause. We were (allegedly) willing to match that, but with the relegation clause.

Considering the odds at the time, Wolves was a far safer choice, especially as he would still be paid the same if Wolves did go down.

As a player who never became super-rich from playing with us or in Scotland, I understood his reasons for leaving. A long-term contract on £15k a week would set up his family forever. Staying with us could have meant £15k for one season, which is quite a difference.

Thankfully, for us, it proved to be a blessing in disguise, but I didn't blame him for leaving for one second and will always be a Swans legend in my eyes for what he did to help get us from League 1 to the PL.

Good post, always liked Doris, apart from the fact he had a bigger aversion to crosses than Dracula.

Nice guy, too, apparently, I know from Jack friends he was always friendly and approachable when out and about in Swansea.
Dorus De Vries on 09:59 - Mar 21 with 2801 viewsdickythorpe

Always punched the ball when catching the fecking thing would have sufficed.
Vorm a far better 'keeper.
Dorus De Vries on 10:21 - Mar 21 with 2779 viewsLeonWasGod

Dorus De Vries on 00:24 - Mar 21 by Jack_Kass

Eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarhhhhhhhhhh

Every time the opposition had a free kick

He certainly breaks the record for the loudest keeper we have ever had.

I thought he was good for us. Played that sweeper keeper role that Brenda liked very well.
Dorus De Vries on 10:38 - Mar 21 with 2768 viewsswancity

Did brilliantly for us. And you can't blame him for taking the extra money at Wolves.

Probably wasn't quite good enough to be a first choice in the Premier League but certainly made a massive contribution to help the Swans get there from the obscurity of League One.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Dorus De Vries on 12:45 - Mar 21 with 2687 viewsHighjack

Statistically, placing a flower pot in the goal would save just as many according to that clown who's name escapes me.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Dorus De Vries on 13:08 - Mar 21 with 2656 viewsbuilthjack

Dorus De Vries on 10:21 - Mar 21 by LeonWasGod

He certainly breaks the record for the loudest keeper we have ever had.

I thought he was good for us. Played that sweeper keeper role that Brenda liked very well.

Louder than cognac?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Dorus De Vries on 19:31 - Mar 23 with 2415 viewsporthcawljax

Anything is an improvement over Dai teflon Davies. That man was dangerous for all the wrong reasons.

Poll: Who would you pick for Swansea's goal stopper?

Dorus De Vries on 21:53 - Mar 23 with 2329 viewsLoyal

Dorus De Vries on 19:31 - Mar 23 by porthcawljax

Anything is an improvement over Dai teflon Davies. That man was dangerous for all the wrong reasons.

He looked like he could tw@t a few so called hard men of today.

Is he keith Walker ?
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 21:53]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

Dorus De Vries on 22:50 - Mar 23 with 2273 viewsRancid

He was reliable and solid without being spectacular.The best we could have hoped for at the time.Bizarre decision to leave for Wolves though.So bizarre that maybe Vorm was already lined up and Brendan had told Dorus to look elsewhere.
Dorus De Vries on 09:17 - Mar 24 with 2179 viewsswancity

Dorus De Vries on 19:31 - Mar 23 by porthcawljax

Dai was a very good and courageous keeper. Made a couple of bad mistakes which all keepers do but mainly did very well for us, WAles and Wrexham. A lot of fans were a bit resentful initially and some always that he replaced fans favourite David Stewart who also did brilliantly for us.

They were great days though to be a Swans fan. Never forget the game at Anfield around 1981 when Liverpool were one of the best club sides in world football. We led 2-0 before two dubious penalty kicks at the Kop end brought it back to 2-2 I think scored by Graeme Souness from memory, with Dai booting Souness up the arse after the 2nd one. What a day that was, my mate even lost his false teeth in the game.😂

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Dorus De Vries on 11:49 - Mar 24 with 2120 viewsLoyal

Dorus De Vries on 22:50 - Mar 23 by Rancid

He was reliable and solid without being spectacular.The best we could have hoped for at the time.Bizarre decision to leave for Wolves though.So bizarre that maybe Vorm was already lined up and Brendan had told Dorus to look elsewhere.

Dorus wasn't good enough for the premier league, BR was right.

Dorus De Vries on 12:58 - Mar 24 with 2090 viewsRancid

Dorus De Vries on 11:49 - Mar 24 by Loyal

Dorus wasn't good enough for the premier league, BR was right.

I prefer to believe that too..Not sure if he was good enough to hack it in the PL and judging by the last time i saw him play in the flesh he conceded 4 against us and at one point looked like a hooked fish caught up in his net.We did concede 4 ourselves that day i know but we went for 3 at the back and were all over the place defensively.

Thankfully Vorm came in and he was soon forgotten.
Dorus De Vries on 13:47 - Mar 24 with 2066 viewsLoyal

Dorus De Vries on 12:58 - Mar 24 by Rancid

I prefer to believe that too..Not sure if he was good enough to hack it in the PL and judging by the last time i saw him play in the flesh he conceded 4 against us and at one point looked like a hooked fish caught up in his net.We did concede 4 ourselves that day i know but we went for 3 at the back and were all over the place defensively.

Thankfully Vorm came in and he was soon forgotten.

If I recall as well Dorus was pretty much number one with no back up, he has it pretty easy. it seemed to me at the time he knew he would be second fiddle to Vorm so went to wolves to be second fiddle there for more money.

Dorus De Vries on 14:59 - Mar 24 with 2042 viewsRancid

Dorus De Vries on 13:47 - Mar 24 by Loyal

If I recall as well Dorus was pretty much number one with no back up, he has it pretty easy. it seemed to me at the time he knew he would be second fiddle to Vorm so went to wolves to be second fiddle there for more money.

I think so too.At the time nobody could understand his decision and found it baffling.Pratley done the same but we were aware he was off long before we got promoted.But with Dorus and soon after him breaking the record of clean sheets in a season for us and promotion to the big league he decides he wants out.Like we say Brendan must have told him hed be bringing in his fellow countryman and all round better keeper and international to replace bim but it was dressed up as Dorus wanting out.Could be wrong though
Dorus De Vries on 21:29 - Mar 24 with 1975 viewsporthcawljax

Dorus De Vries on 09:17 - Mar 24 by swancity

Dai was a very good and courageous keeper. Made a couple of bad mistakes which all keepers do but mainly did very well for us, WAles and Wrexham. A lot of fans were a bit resentful initially and some always that he replaced fans favourite David Stewart who also did brilliantly for us.

They were great days though to be a Swans fan. Never forget the game at Anfield around 1981 when Liverpool were one of the best club sides in world football. We led 2-0 before two dubious penalty kicks at the Kop end brought it back to 2-2 I think scored by Graeme Souness from memory, with Dai booting Souness up the arse after the 2nd one. What a day that was, my mate even lost his false teeth in the game.😂

I was at that game in Liverpool and Dai the drop gave away one of the penalties.
At the beginning of the season Toshack said he would gave both Stuart and Dai games but as soon as the north bank started chanting for Stuart because Dai was absolutely crap he never had a look in as Toshack said "Only I pick the side". Bid headed Bar steward.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2017 21:30]

Poll: Who would you pick for Swansea's goal stopper?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024