Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss 23:20 - Aug 29 with 5408 viewsDavillin

First, I do know what "taking the pîss" means. Can someone please tell me where the expression came from? Thanks.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 00:33 - Aug 30 with 5364 viewsBrynCartwright

To take an unfair advantage over others in a situation ....

e.g. The goalie was really wasting time at the end of the match.....he was really taking the piss.

or

my mate is a real tight bastard and is always the last to buy a round of drinks in the pub...he really takes the piss.

No idea of it's origin.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 06:50 - Aug 30 with 5309 viewsMo_Wives

Good question. Not sure. Maybe this article will help in your search. It comes to no conclusions, but may give you a starting point...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=saddo

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 06:51 - Aug 30 with 5306 viewsMo_Wives

Sorry...was just taking the piss. Here's the article...

https://bshistorian.wordpress.com/2009/12/19/are-you-taking-the-piss/

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 07:22 - Aug 30 with 5285 viewsMeraki

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 00:33 - Aug 30 by BrynCartwright

e.g. The goalie was really wasting time at the end of the match.....he was really taking the piss.

or

my mate is a real tight bastard and is always the last to buy a round of drinks in the pub...he really takes the piss.

No idea of it's origin.

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 08:59 - Aug 30 with 5208 viewswhoflungdung

You re all taking the piss

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 10:12 - Aug 30 with 5164 viewssherpajacob

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 06:51 - Aug 30 by Mo_Wives

Bob's your uncle.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 10:15 - Aug 30 with 5157 viewsDafyddHuw

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 00:33 - Aug 30 by BrynCartwright

or

No idea of it's origin.

Wtf?

You're giving us examples of how to use the phrase?

Really?
Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 10:38 - Aug 30 with 5139 viewsMeraki

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 10:15 - Aug 30 by DafyddHuw

Wtf?

Really?

He's got to be taking the piss?

[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 10:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 11:21 - Aug 30 with 5112 viewsBrynCartwright

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 10:15 - Aug 30 by DafyddHuw

Wtf?

Really?

Davillin is a Yank in e

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 16:51 - Aug 30 with 5024 viewsDavillin

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 06:51 - Aug 30 by Mo_Wives

Thanks, Mo_Wives. I'm glad I saw from the first URL that you were taking the piss, and moved on to the second one without a snappy response.

To show my gratitude, I have bookmarked the link to wordpress.com for future references.

Aside: to those who thought this thread was a pisstake, I can assure you that I'm not the only poster on here who does etymological research on occasion [former Professor of English at work here].

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 16:55 - Aug 30 with 5021 viewsMo_Wives

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 16:51 - Aug 30 by Davillin

Thanks, Mo_Wives. I'm glad I saw from the first URL that you were taking the piss, and moved on to the second one without a snappy response.

To show my gratitude, I have bookmarked the link to wordpress.com for future references.

Aside: to those who thought this thread was a pisstake, I can assure you that I'm not the only poster on here who does etymological research on occasion [former Professor of English at work here].

No probs, Dav. Couldn't resist 'taking the piss' in the first reply, sorry.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 17:16 - Aug 30 with 5002 viewsdailew

Never knew taking the Mickey was rhyming slang. (Mickey Bliss)

I'll be saying taking the Hillary from now on.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 17:40 - Aug 30 with 4993 viewsMo_Wives

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 17:16 - Aug 30 by dailew

Never knew taking the Mickey was rhyming slang. (Mickey Bliss)

I'll be saying taking the Hillary from now on.

And 'berk' comes from 'Berkshire Hunt'....rhyming slang for c*nt. Susie Dent told me...

WARNING: NSFW

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 17:49 - Aug 30 with 4987 viewsdailew

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 17:40 - Aug 30 by Mo_Wives

And 'berk' comes from 'Berkshire Hunt'....rhyming slang for c*nt. Susie Dent told me...

Aye, knew that one.

My favorite is Harris. Rhyming slang for rhyming slang.

Harris (Aristotle) - Bottle (Bottle and Glass) - Arse.

I've re ad that you can go one further and use April (April in Paris) but I've never seen or heard it used.

Bottle only seems to be used in "lose your bottle" nowadays.

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 18:15 - Aug 30 with 4964 viewsWarwickHunt

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 17:40 - Aug 30 by Mo_Wives

Anyone else find that strangely arousing?
Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 18:22 - Aug 30 with 4958 viewsMo_Wives

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 18:15 - Aug 30 by WarwickHunt

Anyone else find that strangely arousing?

Yep.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 18:48 - Aug 30 with 4935 viewsdailew

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 18:22 - Aug 30 by Mo_Wives

Yep.

Why did they have to use those pathetic SJW right-on virtual signalling analogies?

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 19:08 - Aug 30 with 4914 viewsOldjack

Dav as you now know ,people are always trying to take the piss out of me ,god only knows why ,they don't even know me ,the dull bastards

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 19:13 - Aug 30 with 4909 viewsMo_Wives

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 18:48 - Aug 30 by dailew

Why did they have to use those pathetic SJW right-on virtual signalling analogies?

Because the Progressive church of diversity is the most powerful in the land...all must bow before it.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 01:24 - Aug 31 with 4826 viewsDavillin

Request for a bit of etymological help -- taking the pïss on 19:08 - Aug 30 by Oldjack

Dav as you now know ,people are always trying to take the piss out of me ,god only knows why ,they don't even know me ,the dull bastards

Well, I never have and never will.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024