Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfers 13:52 - Apr 15 with 2712 viewssully49

we need to spend serious money in the close season. to date I haven't heard of any connected to our squad. it's all well and good being one of the clubs in profit, whilst we have a team fighting for survival. is Garry Monk the one to clear out certain players? If we are relegated this season there will be a mass exodus of players anyway.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Transfers on 14:32 - Apr 15 with 2069 viewsClinton

We haven't got serious money.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Transfers on 14:39 - Apr 15 with 2053 viewsBrockley_Jack

Centre half needs strengthening. A centre mid in Leon's role. A right winger with goals in him. Think that'd do it what with no Europa league next year.
Transfers on 14:54 - Apr 15 with 2019 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Transfers on 14:32 - Apr 15 by Clinton

Really? That was said last season and then we found £12,000,000 and (allegedly) £40,000 a week for Wilfried Bony.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 14:58]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Transfers on 14:58 - Apr 15 with 2004 viewsDarran

Transfers on 14:32 - Apr 15 by Clinton

We've got money for transfers,whether we'll spend it us another story though.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Transfers on 15:40 - Apr 15 with 1933 viewsClinton

Transfers on 14:54 - Apr 15 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Really? That was said last season and then we found £12,000,000 and (allegedly) £40,000 a week for Wilfried Bony.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 14:58]

The OP said serious money.
In the context of the PL I'd say that means at least 30 million.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Transfers on 15:41 - Apr 15 with 1926 viewsperchrockjack

We aren't a ragarse outfit like we used to be. Past , well past.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Transfers on 15:43 - Apr 15 with 1917 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Transfers on 15:40 - Apr 15 by Clinton

The OP said serious money.
In the context of the PL I'd say that means at least 30 million.

With our huge increase in wages, the expensive training facilities and the Laudrup compensation, I can't see us having £30,000,000 free for transfers. That is over 1/3 our total income.

Transfers on 15:47 - Apr 15 with 1894 viewsJoe_bradshaw

We need an announcement very soon after the final game as to whether Garry Monk is going to be our manager next season.

Whether he is or not will obviously have an impact on comings and goings this summer.

I suspect the revolving door will be worn out by August whoever is appointed.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Transfers on 16:20 - Apr 15 with 1855 viewsDrizzy

GK: £2-3m
RB: £3-4m
CB: £5-8m
CM: £4-6m
LW: £4-5m
ST: £3-5m, loanee

Approximate total spend: £30m

Plus replacing any key outgoing players. I don't see many significant departures this summer (aside from Ki) but we definitely need to trim the fat off this squad.

Vorm has suffered since his injury against City last season. We know there's a quality goalkeeper there somewhere but he's not the reliable #1 he used to be. I don't think we'll have to spend big to find someone dependable but they have to be first team quality and ideally have Premier League experience. John Ruddy might be a good option should Norwich go down.

We definitely need to find a long-term replacement for Rangel and be prepared for his inevitable decline, which has actually started earlier than expected this season.

I just can't see a new manager wanting Chico starting at centre back. The guy is talented and when he plays well he looks world class but he's simply too inconsistent and he's made too many mistakes this season which have contributed to our awful defensive record. Ash is getting older and hasn't had a great season either so I can definitely see us spending big on a decorated centre half in the summer.

We have to strengthen the central midfield because it's been weak this season. We need a "regista". Someone who can protect the midfield and orchestrate play from a deeper position, allowing somebody like Shelvey more freedom. Watching Matic on Sunday made me realise how much we need a player like him. Britton has done this well for so many years but if he's injured we really struggle and he's not getting any younger. Canas is a decent hard-working midfielder but his passing is iffy (and that's being kind). Again I wouldn't be surprised to see us spend big on this area. Many people will argue that we already have two defensive midfielders in Britton/Canas but after seeing how often we were sliced through the middle this season, leaving our defenders so exposed, I wouldn't be opposed to playing two defensive minded players every now and then. Ironically I think Ki could be play this role but I don't see him staying here and by all accounts he's a bit of a childish tw*t.

We definitely need a winger too as we saw what happened this season after injuries to Dyer and Hernandez and Routledge's period of awful form. We have a striker who's as good as anyone in the league when it comes to heading and he needs service from wide areas. A winger who can simply beat a man and play a ball in is needed. I'm not his biggest fan and he may well cost too much but Callum McManaman could be perfect. He's raw and will only feature in about half the games this season but he has the potential to develop in to a quality winger.

After enduring the farcical showings of Itay Shechter, Alvaro Vazquez and now David Ngog it's obvious to every Swans fan with a pair of eyes and a functioning brain that we need AT LEAST two capable strikers in this league. Bony is fantastic but we need an alternative option with pace and who's willing to run in behind defenders. We might have to spend a bit more than we'd like but that's the harsh reality when it comes to strikers. A player I like a lot is Frazier Campbell who can make something out of an aimless hoof up the channels. Imagine what he could do with good service from Shelvey. People may not like it and may want a bigger name but Campbell has scored 6 league goals in a woeful Cardiff team. That's 6x as many goals as Vazquez+Shechter combined in the last two seasons. If we do get a young loanee then he should be third choice.

Thoughts?
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 16:21]

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Transfers on 16:25 - Apr 15 with 1840 viewsDrizzy

Transfers on 15:43 - Apr 15 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

With our huge increase in wages, the expensive training facilities and the Laudrup compensation, I can't see us having £30,000,000 free for transfers. That is over 1/3 our total income.

Southampton reportedly spent £36m last season, Cardiff spent £30.7m, Norwich spent 27m and we spent £21m.

For a squad that's lacking quality in key areas and carrying a lot of dead weight I wouldn't be surprised to see us spend close to £30m.

Transfers on 16:25 - Apr 15 with 1837 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Transfers on 16:20 - Apr 15 by Drizzy

Plus replacing any key outgoing players. I don't see many significant departures this summer (aside from Ki) but we definitely need to trim the fat off this squad.

Vorm has suffered since his injury against City last season. We know there's a quality goalkeeper there somewhere but he's not the reliable #1 he used to be. I don't think we'll have to spend big to find someone dependable but they have to be first team quality and ideally have Premier League experience. John Ruddy might be a good option should Norwich go down.

We definitely need to find a long-term replacement for Rangel and be prepared for his inevitable decline, which has actually started earlier than expected this season.

I just can't see a new manager wanting Chico starting at centre back. The guy is talented and when he plays well he looks world class but he's simply too inconsistent and he's made too many mistakes this season which have contributed to our awful defensive record. Ash is getting older and hasn't had a great season either so I can definitely see us spending big on a decorated centre half in the summer.

We have to strengthen the central midfield because it's been weak this season. We need a "regista". Someone who can protect the midfield and orchestrate play from a deeper position, allowing somebody like Shelvey more freedom. Watching Matic on Sunday made me realise how much we need a player like him. Britton has done this well for so many years but if he's injured we really struggle and he's not getting any younger. Canas is a decent hard-working midfielder but his passing is iffy (and that's being kind). Again I wouldn't be surprised to see us spend big on this area. Many people will argue that we already have two defensive midfielders in Britton/Canas but after seeing how often we were sliced through the middle this season, leaving our defenders so exposed, I wouldn't be opposed to playing two defensive minded players every now and then. Ironically I think Ki could be play this role but I don't see him staying here and by all accounts he's a bit of a childish tw*t.

We definitely need a winger too as we saw what happened this season after injuries to Dyer and Hernandez and Routledge's period of awful form. We have a striker who's as good as anyone in the league when it comes to heading and he needs service from wide areas. A winger who can simply beat a man and play a ball in is needed. I'm not his biggest fan and he may well cost too much but Callum McManaman could be perfect. He's raw and will only feature in about half the games this season but he has the potential to develop in to a quality winger.

After enduring the farcical showings of Itay Shechter, Alvaro Vazquez and now David Ngog it's obvious to every Swans fan with a pair of eyes and a functioning brain that we need AT LEAST two capable strikers in this league. Bony is fantastic but we need an alternative option with pace and who's willing to run in behind defenders. We might have to spend a bit more than we'd like but that's the harsh reality when it comes to strikers. A player I like a lot is Frazier Campbell who can make something out of an aimless hoof up the channels. Imagine what he could do with good service from Shelvey. People may not like it and may want a bigger name but Campbell has scored 6 league goals in a woeful Cardiff team. That's 6x as many goals as Vazquez+Shechter combined in the last two seasons. If we do get a young loanee then he should be third choice.

Thoughts?

I didn't read your whole post, but my thoughts are as follows;

We will not spend £30,000,000 this Summer. I would be surprised if we spent £15,000,000.

I agree with you regarding the areas needing strengthened.

Transfers on 16:31 - Apr 15 with 1819 viewsWarwickHunt

Thoughts?

Pretty much spot on.

However, I think we'll bite the bullet with GK and CB, probably CM too.

RB, LW and a striker are our priorities, personally I'd rather we spent a bit more on these than spread it over six players.

Not a huge fan of Campbell but I take your point.
Transfers on 16:33 - Apr 15 with 1808 viewsC_jack

Thoughts?

Summarised into fewer words - Get rid of them all.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Transfers on 16:34 - Apr 15 with 1805 viewsDrizzy

Transfers on 16:25 - Apr 15 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I didn't read your whole post, but my thoughts are as follows;

We will not spend £30,000,000 this Summer. I would be surprised if we spent £15,000,000.

I agree with you regarding the areas needing strengthened.

The problem is the longer we attempt to scrimp and save in key positions (such as the second striker to Bony) the more dross we'll build up. We're currently paying money for the services David Ngog, Alvaro Vazquez and Leroy Lita who have contributed 0 goals or assists this season. This has to stop. I would like to see us spend big on a few quality players in the positions I mentioned. I'd wager that if you add up the wages of the aforementioned trio you could comfortably cover the wages of one quality striker who may actually score a goal.

Transfers on 16:37 - Apr 15 with 1795 viewsJackFish

Thoughts?

Agree with pretty much all of that, but also can't see us spending £30m this summer. Maybe another £20 at most.
Transfers on 16:44 - Apr 15 with 1775 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Thoughts?

I agree with your analysis but I'm not as sure as you that we will not have significant departures this summer.

I think the appointment of the permanent manager will have a huge bearing on any possible departures.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Transfers on 17:04 - Apr 15 with 1732 viewsDrizzy

We might be able to avoid buying a CB and squeeze one more year out Ash and Chico which would bring our spending closer to £20m. That depends on how well the new manager organises our defence though because it's been shocking at times this season.

Transfers on 17:20 - Apr 15 with 1693 viewsJokeren1943

As far as I can see Swansea have been extremly conservative in the summer transfers the years we have been i Premier League. That will not change.

As far as I see our offense is not the problem. We both create and make enough goals. We do not need more wingers (as long as we keep Guzman). He fine can substitute for Dyer, Routledge, Pablo and Lamah. So only a decent backup striker for 6-7 million.

But our main issue is our defense. We need to be rocksolid cause we get hammered in defense (in counterattacks). We need a secure reliable central defender (so sell Chico (proberly 5 million) and get Caulker (8-8,5 million) ).

Main focus a fast strong defensive midfielder with class who can catch up with the opponent team when they counterattack. Spent 8 million. The strengh and speed of a type of player as Okore from Villa would be important (and I knows he is a central defender)

[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 17:31]
Transfers on 17:22 - Apr 15 with 1684 viewsDrizzy

Transfers on 17:20 - Apr 15 by Jokeren1943

As far as I can see Swansea have been extremly conservative in the summer transfers the years we have been i Premier League. That will not change.

As far as I see our offense is not the problem. We both create and make enough goals. We do not need more wingers (as long as we keep Guzman). He fine can substitute for Dyer, Routledge, Pablo and Lamah. So only a decent backup striker for 6-7 million.

But our main issue is our defense. We need to be rocksolid cause we get hammered in defense (in counterattacks). We need a secure reliable central defender (so sell Chico (proberly 5 million) and get Caulker (8-8,5 million) ).

Main focus a fast strong defensive midfielder with class who can catch up with the opponent team when they counterattack. Spent 8 million. The strengh and speed of a type of player as Okore from Villa would be important (and I knows he is a central defender)

[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 17:31]

It's unlikely de Guzman will stay and Lamah won't be here next season either. Pablo will hopefully be used in the #10 role more often so we'll definitely need a winger.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 17:23]

Transfers on 17:30 - Apr 15 with 1670 viewsJokeren1943

Transfers on 17:22 - Apr 15 by Drizzy

It's unlikely de Guzman will stay and Lamah won't be here next season either. Pablo will hopefully be used in the #10 role more often so we'll definitely need a winger.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 17:23]

I tend to think Pablo as the player behind Bony is a bad idea because he is not goalscorer what so ever (he scored a few goals in his first season but this season nothing).

We need more threats in our offensive. Atleast two goalsscorers (Bony and Michu) in the box. Less, make us waaay to one dimensional.
Transfers on 17:49 - Apr 15 with 1635 viewscoolair

Transfers on 16:34 - Apr 15 by Drizzy

The problem is the longer we attempt to scrimp and save in key positions (such as the second striker to Bony) the more dross we'll build up. We're currently paying money for the services David Ngog, Alvaro Vazquez and Leroy Lita who have contributed 0 goals or assists this season. This has to stop. I would like to see us spend big on a few quality players in the positions I mentioned. I'd wager that if you add up the wages of the aforementioned trio you could comfortably cover the wages of one quality striker who may actually score a goal.

Where do you wanna find a striker that scores goal - want to come to Swansea - and sit on the bench
Transfers on 17:57 - Apr 15 with 1618 viewsJohnw102

Before we do anything about transfers we have to get the manager position sorted, he is the man who has to work with the players, therefore should have a say on who is coming into the squad.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Transfers on 17:58 - Apr 15 with 1616 viewsHuw57

Eddie Howe please.

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Transfers on 18:20 - Apr 15 with 1582 viewsDrizzy

Transfers on 17:49 - Apr 15 by coolair

Where do you wanna find a striker that scores goal - want to come to Swansea - and sit on the bench

Nobody's place in the team in the guaranteed, not even Bony's. There needs to be competition in every area. I don't want anything to do with a player that won't go to a club because there'll be heavy competition for his place. I want a player good enough to challenge Bony and a player who believes he can earn his place. It's unlikely but we desperately need that kind of mentality. Hernandez was signed when we already had two quality wingers in place. Shelvey signed when we had Britton, de Guzman, Canas and Ki on the books. There'll be plenty of playing time for another striker.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2014 18:23]

Transfers on 19:33 - Apr 15 with 1519 viewsexiledinenglandjack

I know it might not be a popular suggestion on the face of it, but i reckon we should go for Bebe from United. I know he's got the reputation of one of the worst Fergie signings but he's actually been in excellent form in Portugal this season and supposedly Benfica are looking at him as an option. He can play up top or on the wing, has an eye for goal and can take a good set piece, he's also 6"2 so would increase our aerial options too.

In 33 appearances he's got 11 goals and 2 assists, i reckon he would be a good back up to Wilf.

Also scored a couple of screamers too out of that 11 goals, potentially with United ready to cut their losses with only a year left on his contract.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024