Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Living Wage 09:47 - Nov 9 with 1278 viewsjohnlangy

I think it would be fantastic if our Club lead the way yet again by becoming the first Premier League Club to pay all employees the living, not minimum, wage.

There was a comparison the other day where it was shown that a person on minimum wage would have to work 10 years to earn what Ozil makes in a week (and there are plenty who make more than him).

Many of us say wages for PL players is obscene. The above comparison is also obscene and the Swans should start the ball rolling and make that change now.
The Living Wage on 15:05 - Nov 10 with 1165 viewsZut_Alors

Great idea. I'm sure someone will probably point to a flaw in the living wage campaign, but to me it seems like a fantastic movement. Minimum wage is just that, a minimum, but something that was independently assessed with enough public backing could really shake things up. Having a name for something to stand for can be the catalyst, too.
The Living Wage on 15:13 - Nov 10 with 1153 viewsParlay

Minimum wage is truly pathetic in your country and does not entice people off benefits.

If i could get £600 a month from allowances then what incentive is there to work 150 hours for an extra £250 odd. Thats almost like working 150 hours for £1.50 an hour in comparison to the alternative they were already on.

Everyone who works 38 hours a week should have £1100 a month take home, minimum. Almost double the benefit allowance for housing and JSA.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

The Living Wage on 15:23 - Nov 10 with 1140 viewsZut_Alors

The Living Wage on 15:13 - Nov 10 by Parlay

Minimum wage is truly pathetic in your country and does not entice people off benefits.

If i could get £600 a month from allowances then what incentive is there to work 150 hours for an extra £250 odd. Thats almost like working 150 hours for £1.50 an hour in comparison to the alternative they were already on.

Everyone who works 38 hours a week should have £1100 a month take home, minimum. Almost double the benefit allowance for housing and JSA.

While I appreciate your opinion, I don't think the argument about minimum wage should be about how much more it is than benefits. Of course, there are people who look to exploit the system, but research shows that to be a tiny minority. If anything, it's clever political posturing to keep the minimum wage position linked to the benefits debate as it redirects the gaze away from those who really need to be picking up the blame for ultra low wages in modern Britain.
The Living Wage on 15:37 - Nov 10 with 1116 viewsParlay

The Living Wage on 15:23 - Nov 10 by Zut_Alors

While I appreciate your opinion, I don't think the argument about minimum wage should be about how much more it is than benefits. Of course, there are people who look to exploit the system, but research shows that to be a tiny minority. If anything, it's clever political posturing to keep the minimum wage position linked to the benefits debate as it redirects the gaze away from those who really need to be picking up the blame for ultra low wages in modern Britain.

I appreciate that but for me its entirely relevant. People are animals at the end of the day, they will look for the easiest way to survive. A little story....

There is a river in Darwin where there were hundreds of crocodiles, someone spotted an opportunity and opened up a "croc cruise" business where they would travel along the river and dangle meat from a stick to see the crocs jump for it. After a while the crocs realised this was the easiest way to get their food and followed the boats waiting for the meat. This then was argued by locals that they are associating food with humans and the authorities agreed and closed down the business.... Crocs in that river are now nearly extinct such was their reliance on "the easy meal" they forgot how to hunt.

So to think we have some moral code in built into us because we have built a civilisation is a mistake, we are animals. The majority of the time humans will always look for the easy way to survive, so we need these wages lifted as there just is no incentive.

The living wage is a great idea and everyone should be behind it and would be proud for our club to instill this into the community.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

The Living Wage on 16:15 - Nov 10 with 1080 viewsskippyjack

If you gain 5 years work experience.. you're entitled to the living wage.. it should be made law.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The Living Wage on 12:02 - Nov 11 with 978 viewsjohnlangy

The Living Wage on 15:05 - Nov 10 by Zut_Alors

Great idea. I'm sure someone will probably point to a flaw in the living wage campaign, but to me it seems like a fantastic movement. Minimum wage is just that, a minimum, but something that was independently assessed with enough public backing could really shake things up. Having a name for something to stand for can be the catalyst, too.

It's a strange old world. The Living Wage is determined by the government but they don't support it. Instead they subsidise the minimum wage with benefits then companies which employ minimum wage workers announce billions in profits which they give to shareholders.

So, effectively, the benefits we pay to those workers (our tax) produces bigger dividends for the shareholders.

Strange old world isn't it.
The Living Wage on 12:17 - Nov 11 with 963 viewsClinton

Yeah, but the living wage here in Swansea is probably less than the minimum wage.
Cheap as chips, mun.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The Living Wage on 12:47 - Nov 11 with 944 viewsscottishjack

Heart of Midlothian have just introduced the Living wage to all of their employees, I think they are the first in Scotland to do so.
Login to get fewer ads

The Living Wage on 12:53 - Nov 11 with 940 viewsMrSwan

What is the living wage per hour and week?

Poll: Do you rate Shelvey?

The Living Wage on 13:28 - Nov 11 with 919 viewsdickythorpe

Wouldnt the living wage cause upset to those workers who had worked for a firm for donkeys of years, only to see a newcomer earn not far off what they are on?

A good idea in theory but in practice.....
The Living Wage on 13:36 - Nov 11 with 914 viewsskippyjack

The Living Wage on 13:28 - Nov 11 by dickythorpe

Wouldnt the living wage cause upset to those workers who had worked for a firm for donkeys of years, only to see a newcomer earn not far off what they are on?

A good idea in theory but in practice.....

Read my post.. so simple.. so effective.. fair.. but the UK isn't simple.. it isn't effective anymore.. and it isn't fair..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

The Living Wage on 13:43 - Nov 11 with 906 viewsdickythorpe

The Living Wage on 16:15 - Nov 10 by skippyjack

If you gain 5 years work experience.. you're entitled to the living wage.. it should be made law.

Define "5 years work experience"

It could be standing around making tea all day......
The Living Wage on 13:45 - Nov 11 with 903 viewsskippyjack

The Living Wage on 13:43 - Nov 11 by dickythorpe

Define "5 years work experience"

It could be standing around making tea all day......

Alright.. minimum 30 hours a week 5 days..

The Living Wage on 13:57 - Nov 11 with 892 viewsSenhin

My company, whilst not exactly being a good payer in the industry, is actually still paying two "trainees" minimum wage here. But they aren't trainees... Yes they aren't massively experienced, but they have been earning the company money since early April and about £360 a day for the last couple of months easily.

At another company they'd have been on more like £16-17K as trainees even before they were making money for the company.

All this in an industry where there could be risks to health, and serious consequences if they were to make a mistake and put their signature to the work.

That's disgusting.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

The Living Wage on 14:02 - Nov 11 with 885 viewsLe_Swans

The Living Wage on 12:53 - Nov 11 by MrSwan

What is the living wage per hour and week?

With Swansea council it has been deemed that the living wage (which has been introduced) is £7.45 an hour, so over 37 hours would be £275.65 a week.
The Living Wage on 18:23 - Nov 11 with 830 viewsquiff

The national living wage is £7.85 an hour (or £9.15 in London)

http://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-living-wage

Poll: Is now the time for a Coordinated Fan protest?

The Living Wage on 18:36 - Nov 11 with 817 viewsPozuelosSideys

Paying the living wage will equal cost cutting in other areas i.e. job cuts. Those that remain on the living wage will be expected to work harder and with higher productivity.

Bit like it works with salaried contracts. You are contracted for 35 hours and get paid for them, but will then be expected to work a shedload more hours for nothing as its "in the business interest". If you dont, youll be exited.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The Living Wage on 20:07 - Nov 11 with 785 viewsdickythorpe

The Living Wage on 18:36 - Nov 11 by PozuelosSideys

Paying the living wage will equal cost cutting in other areas i.e. job cuts. Those that remain on the living wage will be expected to work harder and with higher productivity.

Bit like it works with salaried contracts. You are contracted for 35 hours and get paid for them, but will then be expected to work a shedload more hours for nothing as its "in the business interest". If you dont, youll be exited.

Very good point. Min wage is currently £6.50, if as a boss i was expected to raise everyone up to £7.85 i would expect a hell of a lot back from existing workers that had gone up a wage, plus newcomers would have a lot less time to impress and get up to speed.

I happen to think the minimum wage should be more than £7.85

My only fear is someone who perhaps worked his way up to £8 an hour after spending several years at a firm that may only be giving rises below inflation( if at all) may feel he is doing far too much work than those that walk in on £7.85

We all know someone we work with who whines and moans of not being paid enough for the work load they have.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 20:11]
The Living Wage on 20:22 - Nov 11 with 760 viewsJackfath

The Living Wage on 14:02 - Nov 11 by Le_Swans

With Swansea council it has been deemed that the living wage (which has been introduced) is £7.45 an hour, so over 37 hours would be £275.65 a week.

Where have you got these figures from?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

The Living Wage on 20:37 - Nov 11 with 747 viewsdickythorpe

http://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-living-wage
The Living Wage on 20:38 - Nov 11 with 747 viewsLe_Swans

The Living Wage on 20:22 - Nov 11 by Jackfath

Where have you got these figures from?

I work within the authority and that's what was introduced in April after the long drawn out pay and grading process they went through.
The Living Wage on 10:27 - Nov 12 with 672 viewsKilkennyjack

Yes John, no if's and but's.

Beware of the Risen People

The Living Wage on 16:54 - Nov 12 with 619 viewsjohnlangy

The Living Wage on 20:07 - Nov 11 by dickythorpe

Very good point. Min wage is currently £6.50, if as a boss i was expected to raise everyone up to £7.85 i would expect a hell of a lot back from existing workers that had gone up a wage, plus newcomers would have a lot less time to impress and get up to speed.

I happen to think the minimum wage should be more than £7.85

My only fear is someone who perhaps worked his way up to £8 an hour after spending several years at a firm that may only be giving rises below inflation( if at all) may feel he is doing far too much work than those that walk in on £7.85

We all know someone we work with who whines and moans of not being paid enough for the work load they have.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 20:11]

Similar arguments to yours and Pozuelo's were put forward when the minimum wage was suggested. According to the CON men millions of jobs would be lost.

They were lying then. They'll also be lying now if they say the same.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024