Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gomis has a few things to say 16:42 - Aug 2 with 3139 viewsTummer_from_Texas

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2921798/bafetimbi-gomis-says-he-took-wage-cut-to-join

Most importantly to us, says he took a wage cut to get the Marseille loan done. To me this makes the reports that we're completely off the hook for any of his wages this season sound more plausible.

Also says he enjoyed living in Wales.

I suppose we should hope he has a good season there so they'll buy him permanently (or at least extend the loan)? Anyone know how long his contract goes?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Gomis has a few things to say on 16:57 - Aug 2 with 2971 viewsicecoldjack

Never quite fitted our style and too old to adapt, not his fault though, we were always due a high cost mistake at some point hopefully he bangs a few in and gains confidence with a sale to the desert or China in the pipeline later.

Seemed a decent pro and apparently a good bloke in the dressing room and around the younger players.
I wish him well.
Gomis has a few things to say on 17:06 - Aug 2 with 2864 viewsjasper_T

Can't see anything in his quotes that suggests a wage cut. Lost in translation?
Gomis has a few things to say on 17:06 - Aug 2 with 2865 viewskarnataka

Gomis has a few things to say on 16:57 - Aug 2 by icecoldjack

Never quite fitted our style and too old to adapt, not his fault though, we were always due a high cost mistake at some point hopefully he bangs a few in and gains confidence with a sale to the desert or China in the pipeline later.

Seemed a decent pro and apparently a good bloke in the dressing room and around the younger players.
I wish him well.

"too old to adapt" = will never understand the offside law
Gomis has a few things to say on 17:09 - Aug 2 with 2817 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Gomis has a few things to say on 16:57 - Aug 2 by icecoldjack

I wish him well.

Yeah, he seemed to get along with everyone fine, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he went to the French press and acted like a spoiled jackass in January 2015.

The last few months of that season, Monk did a great job as a manager, diffusing a couple of messy situations and getting one period of really good form out of our problem children Gomis and Shelvey.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:10 - Aug 2 with 2804 viewsItchySphincter

He's a good player. It didn't work out.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:11 - Aug 2 with 2791 viewsTom1912

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:06 - Aug 2 by jasper_T

He says this:

"English clubs and other more exotic ones came forward. I always used my veto. When I saw that things weren't progressing, I made an effort.

"I also wanted to show that it wasn't just a financial story and that I really wanted to return to the fold and take up this challenge."

With the effort alluding to the paycut he's supposedly taken, which he mentioned in another interview a few days ago:

"I made a financial effort so that the loan was doable for Marseille’s finances at a time where nothing is simple for a club going through a transition period.”
Gomis has a few things to say on 17:11 - Aug 2 with 2786 viewsicecoldjack

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:06 - Aug 2 by karnataka

"too old to adapt" = will never understand the offside law

Or will never understand why we couldn't thread him a ball quick enough.

Wasn't the right signing from day 1 IMO .
Gomis has a few things to say on 17:12 - Aug 2 with 2765 viewsTummer_from_Texas

"When I saw that things weren't progressing, I made an effort."

The writer of the article seems to indicate that the effort he made was to agree on a wage cut.

Login to get fewer ads

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:15 - Aug 2 with 2739 viewsicecoldjack

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:09 - Aug 2 by Tummer_from_Texas

Yeah, he seemed to get along with everyone fine, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he went to the French press and acted like a spoiled jackass in January 2015.

The last few months of that season, Monk did a great job as a manager, diffusing a couple of messy situations and getting one period of really good form out of our problem children Gomis and Shelvey.

That was a mistake on his part but at the same ti.e we don't know what he was told by the club.

Seemed strange that he was told he would be starting when we still had bony here..unless the plan was to play both, something toyed with until we got taken apart a few times in pre season..If memory serves.
Gomis has a few things to say on 18:12 - Aug 2 with 2431 viewshobo

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:10 - Aug 2 by ItchySphincter

He's a good player. It didn't work out.

He'll do very well in France as he has always done.
Gomis has a few things to say on 18:17 - Aug 2 with 2371 viewspencoedjack

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:09 - Aug 2 by Tummer_from_Texas

Monk great job manager

Not often you see those words in the same sentence.
Gomis has a few things to say on 18:26 - Aug 2 with 2303 viewsmorningstar

Gomis has a few things to say on 17:12 - Aug 2 by Tummer_from_Texas

"When I saw that things weren't progressing, I made an effort."

The writer of the article seems to indicate that the effort he made was to agree on a wage cut.

It's not all good mind! I mean i doubt very much if he agreed to drop his signing on fee with us, which is worth £40k a week. So you can bet we're still paying that.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Gomis has a few things to say on 19:18 - Aug 2 with 2057 viewsicecoldjack

Gomis has a few things to say on 18:26 - Aug 2 by morningstar

It's not all good mind! I mean i doubt very much if he agreed to drop his signing on fee with us, which is worth £40k a week. So you can bet we're still paying that.

Can't blame a guy for picking up his lucrative salary, is he supposed to give it back ?

You pays your money and you takes your chance!

I will never quite understand the deal as it was always clear to many that his game was Not really suited to us, I can only suspect that we were looking to change our style to suit him, then realised we were exposed doing it.
Gomis has a few things to say on 19:26 - Aug 2 with 2000 viewsDr_Winston

It took us the best part of half a season to realise that he wasn't Bony, then we started playing more to his strengths for a bit, then we stopped doing it as Monk's tactical masterplan began to take shape.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Gomis has a few things to say on 19:29 - Aug 2 with 1965 viewsmorningstar

Gomis has a few things to say on 19:18 - Aug 2 by icecoldjack

Can't blame a guy for picking up his lucrative salary, is he supposed to give it back ?

You pays your money and you takes your chance!

I will never quite understand the deal as it was always clear to many that his game was Not really suited to us, I can only suspect that we were looking to change our style to suit him, then realised we were exposed doing it.

I'm not criticising Bafe one bit. Just simply pointing out to those who may believe we are paying all of his wages that we are still paying him £2m to play for Marseilles next season.

In my opinion he was bought as a cheap replacement for Bony without little thought except for the profit we could make. Unfortunately, as it turns out there was very little profit made at all. £13m for Bony, £8m signing on fee for Gomis. Bony to Man City £25m with £3m add ons (Don't think we would have got any add ons!).

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Gomis has a few things to say on 19:37 - Aug 2 with 1924 viewsjack247

Gomis has a few things to say on 19:26 - Aug 2 by Dr_Winston

It took us the best part of half a season to realise that he wasn't Bony, then we started playing more to his strengths for a bit, then we stopped doing it as Monk's tactical masterplan began to take shape.

It was more that teams worked out if they could nullify Shelvey, they would effectively take Gomis out of the game too.

It wasn't a bad tactic, kind of needed a plan B though.
Gomis has a few things to say on 20:05 - Aug 2 with 1791 viewsicecoldjack

Gomis has a few things to say on 19:29 - Aug 2 by morningstar

I'm not criticising Bafe one bit. Just simply pointing out to those who may believe we are paying all of his wages that we are still paying him £2m to play for Marseilles next season.

In my opinion he was bought as a cheap replacement for Bony without little thought except for the profit we could make. Unfortunately, as it turns out there was very little profit made at all. £13m for Bony, £8m signing on fee for Gomis. Bony to Man City £25m with £3m add ons (Don't think we would have got any add ons!).

Fair point.

I'm quite sure we are paying something, I said a few weeks back that we were probably paying his bonuses, the spin seemed right " all of his wages paid " no mention of anything else.

But there we go it's not his fault it's just an example of how not to do a deal, though I understand how hard it may be to get a decent player in ,circa 80k a week for a striker that would never fit us seems mad as fook.

Especially when you hear the likes of Erik son at spurs is only on 30k !
Gomis has a few things to say on 18:06 - Aug 3 with 1299 viewsJackUlation

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2921798/bafetimbi-gomis-says-he-took-wage-cut-to-j
Gomis has a few things to say on 09:52 - Aug 4 with 857 viewsUplandsJack

Gomis has a few things to say on 19:29 - Aug 2 by morningstar

I don't understand why this portion of his salary bothers people.
It's his signing on fee. If he'd been in contract we'd have paid it to Lyon. He wasn't so he gets it.....Good luck to him I say.
We were stupid enough to buy a player to replace another who clearly wasn't suited to our style.
Also regarding his complaints to the french media. Im sure he signed for the promise of first team football in the biggest league in the world. Bony was expected to be shipped out that Summer but the offers never came... So of course he was pee'd off. I'd have been more annoyed had he been happy to just sit on the bench and pick up his £££ every week... from what I've heard he was a model pro, always gave advise to the younger players etc...
Blame the scouts/Huw if you want to blame anyone.
#goodluckBafe
Gomis has a few things to say on 09:57 - Aug 4 with 831 viewsdailew

Gomis has a few things to say on 09:52 - Aug 4 by UplandsJack

It's his signing on fee. If he'd been in contract we'd have paid it to Lyon. He wasn't so he gets it.....Good luck to him I say.
We were stupid enough to buy a player to replace another who clearly wasn't suited to our style.
Also regarding his complaints to the french media. Im sure he signed for the promise of first team football in the biggest league in the world. Bony was expected to be shipped out that Summer but the offers never came... So of course he was pee'd off. I'd have been more annoyed had he been happy to just sit on the bench and pick up his £££ every week... from what I've heard he was a model pro, always gave advise to the younger players etc...
#goodluckBafe

Model pro my arsch. Came on in a few games late last years and just sauntered around. Hardly broke a sweat.

Could have cost us crucial points.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2016 9:57]

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Gomis has a few things to say on 10:21 - Aug 4 with 752 viewsLoyal

Gomis has a few things to say on 09:52 - Aug 4 by UplandsJack

#goodluckBafe

You don't need to scout a player at Bafe Gomis level.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Gomis has a few things to say on 11:30 - Aug 4 with 630 viewsUplandsJack

Gomis has a few things to say on 09:57 - Aug 4 by dailew

Model pro my arsch. Came on in a few games late last years and just sauntered around. Hardly broke a sweat.

Could have cost us crucial points.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2016 9:57]

I respect your opinion and agree there where a few occasions where he let himself and us down with lacklustre performances. But we are not privy to the ALL the goings on behind the scenes. And yes you can then throw back, well that's not model pro etc.. But let's not forget he's human just like the rest of us...
All I can say is from totally reliable sources within the younger playing setup, he was very well respected/liked in the senior and other age groups. Make of that what you will!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024