Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
56th min applause. 21:49 - May 17 with 2320 viewsBrightonhoop

At Wembley today was for the 56 lost at Bradford. The FA didn't mark it, and it's proposed again next weekend. Would make me very proud to hear that with QPR at Wembley. Nobody should go to the football and not come home again.

56th min applause. on 22:34 - May 17 with 2222 viewsstowmarketrange

I was there and I didn't realise what it was for.

56th min applause. on 22:38 - May 17 with 2210 viewsloftus_upper

Mixed views on their forum
http://www.claretandbanter.co.uk/threads/minutes-applause-at-cup-final-in-memory

56th min applause. on 23:04 - May 17 with 2131 viewsPommyhoop

Wow ..I only read the first page but the difference to Bradfords fans veiws on the remembrance of their tradegy and the DEMANDS of LFC is massive.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

56th min applause. on 00:34 - May 18 with 2037 viewsBrightonhoop

Interesting views, respectfully expressed. It's never been properly acknowledged and should be. Glad to see some accept it in the sense it is acknowledged, though understandably hard to swallow after all these years. Always touched me more than Hills or Heysell. Don't know why. Watching it live on telly felt like it could have been any Club in that era. Stadiums were death traps.

The noise of beams falling and understanding most who did not get out headed below the stands to exits only to find them locked with no way back was horrific then and now.

At LR I have always sat pitch side since Bradford, fck exits. It left a lasting impression. I hope we applaud on the 56th min.
[Post edited 18 May 2014 0:40]

56th min applause. on 02:50 - May 18 with 1976 viewsqueensparker

A really interesting read that, and not what I was expecting

There's definitely an element of "competitive grief" in today's society, not helped by social media, where some people feel if you're not bleating on about something in public you don't care. And theyre right that people are using the fire to have an indirect pop at the Scousers which is all a bit undignified. And why now?

Quiet Yorkshire stoicism is as valuable as a minutes applause

56th min applause. on 07:29 - May 18 with 1901 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fascinating read. Thanks for the link.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

56th min applause. on 08:24 - May 18 with 1840 viewsizlingtonhoop

"It's like wearing flares in 1999 having worn them in 1972. Self explanatory really. No knut but an uber knut goes on the pitch in 2014."

Boy, are you gonna have a dilemma should the worst happen!

56th min applause. on 09:07 - May 18 with 1780 viewsQPRDEL

They come across as descent people who just want to get on with their lives not looking to be in the limelight.
Respect to them

56th min applause. on 10:08 - May 18 with 1697 viewsSpiritofGregory

This is why some on here get so annoyed with Liverpool fans. The Bradford City fans have acted in a dignified way even though they played no part in the fire.

56th min applause. on 10:15 - May 18 with 1687 viewsdaveB

the two tragedys were very different though, after the political cover up it's pretty obvious why Hillsbrough gets more attention

56th min applause. on 10:27 - May 18 with 1659 viewsSpiritofGregory

Yes a political cover up and also victim mentality Liverpool fans. They are even trying to brainwash us into thinking that they had nothing to do with Heysal.

That mark of respect yesterday was initially organised by the fans. Not only was it a mark of respect to those who died in that fire and the way Bradford City fans have conducted themselves, it was a dig at the Liverpool fans who have washed their hands of any blame for Hillsborough and are now trying to distance themselves from blame for Heysal.

56th min applause. on 11:05 - May 18 with 1610 viewsthemodfather

fair play to the gunners and "them" for the 56th min applause...the fa don't care about a thing in footbal except the cash, as long as it flows, they don't care
sexism, sex scandals....all in the fa= nothing
with so much betting now around football and quite a few scandals,= nothing
blind eye to drugs cos a ex leeds official went public on suspected class a drug use there
ete etc
but sold out finals = £££££££££££££££££££££££££

56th min applause. on 11:09 - May 18 with 1600 viewswood_hoop

Totally agree, there are ways to show respect for those that have died in tragic circumstances, a round of applause is not one of them, especially as for so many years the victims have largely been ignored other than those who have connections with Bradford City

Grief is a very difficult thing to deal with, many prefer to do so with a solemnity that they feel goes with the death of loved ones or have close connections with those that have died, the outporing of 'respect' for those that died is nothing more than an after thought, Bradford have shown a great diginity with the way they have dealt with this tragedy and that should be taken into account when wanting to show support for them in a public way.

I would not join in any round of applause, if a mass feeling of respect many feel has to be shown, turn your back on the game, say nothing, let a silence fall all around the ground, your thoughts should not be on the game going on, think of just how many have suffered over the years,the tragic loss of life for just attending a football match, respect can be just as dignified and supportive by saying nothing.

56th min applause. on 11:54 - May 18 with 1553 viewsSpiritofGregory

I hope we do a minutes silence for those that lost their lives at Bradford.

The FA need to step up and show respect. It seems to me that they will only act if they stand to earn brownie points, earn money or face a backlash.

No disrespect for those who lost their lives at Hillsborough but so glad that Liverpool didn't win the title.

56th min applause. on 13:50 - May 18 with 1485 viewssmegma

THe same old anti Liverpool b0llocks. No one can blame Hillsborough families for how they have campaigned to get justice. The 56 deserve respect and get it BUT one game was a semi final and was captured by many cameras and was shown on every news bulletin for weeks. Bradford was hardly ever shown as the scenes were deemed too distressing at the time. Also, one was the biggest political/policing cover up in UK history. 25 years on and justice hasn't been served.

Both were huge tragedies but only one set of dead supporters families are criticised. Ever looked at it that way ?

56th min applause. on 18:07 - May 18 with 1385 viewsdistortR

While I totally agree with the 'competitive grief' comments, this nasty anti-liverpudlian cliche is getting really tiresome. The police, journalists and government officials lied, smeared and intimidated throughout, casting a cloud over all football fans.

56th min applause. on 18:46 - May 18 with 1345 viewsPunteR

For me personally i would feel slightly uncomfortable with it. As pointed out before it hasn't been remembered for the last 28 years. The cynic in me thinks the timing seems more about addressing the balance with Hillsborough then actually giving proper consideration to the families who lost love ones and have grieved in silence and dignity for nearly 3 decades.
The two tragedy's were completely different as far as I'm aware,and highlights more the injustice the Liverpool families had to endure as the evidence is showing the police corruption, the cover ups and media spotlight that tarnished the families grief.
Maybe I'm being too cynical, maybe it is just a nice touch amongst football fans.
If it happens i will applaud. It could be a positive thing.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

56th min applause. on 20:02 - May 18 with 1273 viewssaxbend

That might have something to do with what Liverpool fans had to do just to stave off the victim blaming before people marked the tragedy appropriately.

56th min applause. on 20:34 - May 18 with 1238 viewsthemodfather

well us at qpr can end up remembering kiyan prince and ray jones, for starters!
there are many games with applause/silences.
football fans get such negative press so maybe showing some can do the right thing, is a positive.

56th min applause. on 00:37 - May 19 with 1148 viewsBrightonhoop

Yeah i'll probably trip over my flares...

56th min applause. on 00:42 - May 19 with 1144 viewsBrightonhoop

Totally understandable, but I see it slightly differently in that Hills is finally being addressed after the cover-up was exposed and rightly so. I think in general terms it is more about the fact we are all supporters and get treated like cattle with dire consequences. The fact it occurred in stoical Yorkshire doesn't mean it couldn't have happened anywhere else.

56th min applause. on 01:11 - May 19 with 1139 viewsBluce_Ree

I respect what I'm reading on that forum. That's exactly how I'd be in their position. Quiet, reflective grief.

The LFC thing by contrast doesn't sit right with me. This year they stopped all public transport in the city at 3:06 and had 96 children walk from Goodison Park to Anfield with blue and red scarves tied together.

Not diminishing the tragedy of Hillsborough, just not feeling the theatrics this year.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024