Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports Books 22:57 - Oct 22 with 7799 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Haven't done this in a while.

Just finished re-reading 'Legacy' by James Kerr, a book on the psychological and mental reasons the All-Blacks are so successful. For anybody who coaches or plays any sport, it's a must. One of the very nest coaching books there is, to my mind.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sports Books on 23:29 - Oct 22 with 6206 viewsscot1963

I read Seven Deadly Sins about Lance Armstrong and the cheating in cycling. I picked it up this summer in a charity shop - it was a really interesting read that I would recommend for anyone who hasn't had a look at it yet

Sports Books on 23:32 - Oct 22 with 6203 viewsqueensparker

One that's always stayed with me is Tony Cascarino's biography. Pretty dark take on how being a footballer - particularly a limited one with no self-confidence - isn't really all that. Really well written as well

Sports Books on 04:09 - Oct 25 with 6027 viewsade_qpr

Just finished Fathers, Sons and Football by Colin Shindler. It looks at the Summerbee family thro 3 generations, from George in the 30's, Mike in the 60's to Nicky. Interesting account on the conditions and how the life of a professional footballer has changed.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Sports Books on 07:06 - Oct 25 with 5985 viewsozexile

Thanks for the legacy recommendation. I've just started Reading it and am enjoying it. Les could do with a copy. Wonder how many of our players stay behind and sweep the sheds.

Sports Books on 15:16 - Nov 6 with 5851 viewsPommyhoop

Just finished 'Always in Motion ' by John Honney.
John is a R's fan who also is an amputee from a childhood disability.
He decides to get into marathon running of all things.
The book follows his trials and tribulations attempting to do the 5 major marathons.
Great read.Touching ,funny and extremely inspiring..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Sports Books on 15:37 - Nov 6 with 5817 viewsMytch_QPR

Just looked at that on Amazon - and ordered a copy. Thanks for the recommendation.

My dad (struggling to think of presents) bought me Harry's book last Xmas - I've never opened it - I doubt I'm missing anything.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Sports Books on 15:38 - Nov 6 with 5817 viewsRs_Holy

The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton is the same story told by one of Armstrongs team mates... Incredible book, superbly written, showing the lengths some sportsmen go to gain an advantage over opponents... The blood doping chapter is unbelievable!!!

Sports Books on 16:00 - Nov 6 with 5803 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Thanks fella, glad you enjoyed it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Sports Books on 07:51 - Nov 7 with 5713 viewsJonDoeman

Just got my hands on a copy of Living On The Volcano, I'll let you know if its any good Brian!

It Is What It Is !!

Sports Books on 08:42 - Nov 7 with 5682 viewsPommyhoop

OK its not a book and strictly speaking Video Gaming is not a sport but this film about Donkey Kong champions is a hoot..Funny as f'ck. I could've been a contender at Asteroids but the dreaded beer , women and song f'cked me up..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Sports Books on 09:27 - Nov 7 with 5649 viewsDiscodroids

Finished' Who killed Freddy Mills' on holiday, British light heavy champion of the world back in the late 40's.

Murder, Gay affairs, Corruption ,Kray twins, Film Star the lot

Incredible.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Sports Books on 10:33 - Nov 7 with 5625 viewsJonDoeman

Just remembered this one was good : Doped: The Real Life Story of the 1960s Racehorse Doping Gang

And not read the new one by Donald McRae yet but I expect its excellent : A Man's World: The Double Life of Emile Griffith

It Is What It Is !!

Sports Books on 10:01 - Dec 9 with 5431 viewsJonDoeman

Outstanding. Best football book I've read .

It Is What It Is !!

Sports Books on 10:13 - Dec 9 with 5410 viewsjamois

My favourite footie book (not that I'm a frickin footie bookworm) is 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' - definitely reinvigorates feeling for the power and purity in football, away from the modern celebrity and financial madness.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Sports Books on 10:26 - Dec 9 with 5391 viewsJordanFoster

Thought it was a good read but not as good as The Nowhere Men in my opinion...

Sports Books on 10:38 - Dec 9 with 5367 viewsTacticalR

Isn't there a bit about Ramsey in 'Living on the Volcano'?

Air hostess clique

Sports Books on 10:52 - Dec 9 with 5348 viewsMrSheen

Purity of football? Did you get to the end? (Spoiler alert!)

Sports Books on 11:20 - Dec 9 with 5323 viewskingsburyR

Have a look at this book. It is a brilliant read

Four Iron in the Soul.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Four-Iron-Soul-Lawrence-Donegan-ebook/dp/B00ELXQYMK/ref=

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Sports Books on 11:39 - Dec 9 with 5306 viewsJonDoeman

I also thought that was outstanding! Enjoyed this one a bit more though!

It Is What It Is !!

Sports Books on 11:41 - Dec 9 with 5303 viewsJonDoeman

No he's not in it. But there's a QPR flavour with chapters on Ainsworth , Waddock , Holloway & Hughes .......and Derry , how could I forget him!
[Post edited 9 Dec 2015 13:59]

It Is What It Is !!

Sports Books on 12:16 - Dec 9 with 5268 viewsTacticalR

Ah, ok. I thought there might be because Michael Calvin tweeted about his admiration for Ramsey.

Air hostess clique

Sports Books on 12:52 - Dec 9 with 5218 viewsEastR

recently read Tyler Hamilton ' The Secret Race' - doping in professional cycling (he was a former teammate of Armstrong, and after being caught himself decided to tell all)
Needless to say they were all at it, but it's interesting to get the inside perspective on how long for, how it developed, and mostly how they managed to get away with it for so long

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Sports Books on 13:30 - Dec 9 with 5180 viewsTonto

Ive also read the secret race and agree about its quality and fascination.

Ive also been reading a lot of mountain climbing books, even though I dont climb myself - Into Thin Air (the Everest disaster) and No way Down (K2 disaster) being two good ones...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Sports Books on 13:56 - Dec 9 with 5163 viewsJonDoeman

Yeah think he might have been in if he got the gig sooner .

It Is What It Is !!

Sports Books on 14:01 - Dec 9 with 5155 viewsjamois

Yes I did read all of it! But it was about 10 years ago. I remember it being a heartwarming true tale, I also remember a tragedy in it, but it was real, the beautiful game n all that. And well written too.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024