Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Get Up Stand Up 09:34 - Feb 13 with 392 viewsspell_chekker

In France we've got the 'gilets jaunes'. People who've organised themselves via social media to protest about their ever diminishing status in life.

I was in town last Saturday, witnessed a huge protest march and joined in, walking in support of the protesters.

There are a lot of demos about Brexit or large things about the environment but in terms of their work and social conditions, the British public seem very passive and accept their lot. Never going on strike or protesting.

Am I right?

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Get Up Stand Up on 09:47 - Feb 13 with 387 viewsspudgun

Yep, the British philosophy of : "the revolution starts at closing time" usually holds good. Football, beer, betting and ciggies usually do the trick to keep us subdued.

It is amazing how wealthy people use politics to get the poor to vote against their best interests. You need look no further than Brexit...

Get Up Stand Up on 09:53 - Feb 13 with 384 viewsspell_chekker

This is the march I joined in

I've never been on strike though.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Get Up Stand Up on 09:53 - Feb 13 with 383 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Not really spell, you've got fracking protests, airport protests, schoolkids this Friday are having a protest, local protests everywhere about hospitals, libraries closing etc....... Also there is usually a march in London every weekend. Brexit just drowns out everything at the moment.

Train drivers still strike, but since our industrial base just about vanished in the 70's/80's you wont really have those large scale strikes anymore.

Also some reforms that Macron wants to push through, from what I can gather, are similar to the type that were done over here in the 80's. Sort of been there done that.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Get Up Stand Up on 10:02 - Feb 13 with 378 viewsspell_chekker

I understand that Red and I can't quite put my finger on it, but the British public seem to me to be more accepting of the state of things.

Anyway, as a slight aside. I find it ironic that the gilets jaunes were moved en masse to action by the rise in price of petrol. Of all the things that happen, the state of the nation, and social injustices, it was the price of petrol that was the trigger and got peoples' backs up.

Get Up Stand Up on 10:19 - Feb 13 with 373 viewsROTTWEILERS

I agree with spell.

We're conditioned from day one that being able to tolerate crap situations is the British way. "Stiff upper lip" and all that....it's hard-wired into the national psyche. It's evidenced in how the Blitz and rationing is looked back upon as some sort of pinnacle of community cohesion when the reality is that it was an appalling state of affairs. You see politicians trying to get by on £15 a week like some sort of Krypton Factor challenge to show that it can be done and those complaining are soft or not trying hard enough.

Ask yourself why our kids are "taught" resilience in schools at Primary school nowadays. Is it because our leaders want a strong and capable future workforce, or is it because they want to fling a bit more crap our youngster's way - and then blame them if it doesn't work out (they've had the training after all).

It's perverse really

✊

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

Get Up Stand Up on 11:39 - Feb 13 with 365 viewsLala

If I felt strongly enough about something I would definitely join a protest. I’d have to be very motivated by the cause though. That’s not because I feel oppressed or held back, it’s because I like to spend my time wisely I guess.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Get Up Stand Up on 13:14 - Feb 13 with 355 viewsspell_chekker

Brexit's a completely different kettle of fish.

The local library type protests don't count. Small fry in the scheme of things.

I don't know anything about the schoolkids, good on them.

Fracking protesters are seen in a bad light, crusties the great unwashed, with many disapproving of them.

Instead of showing solidarity and understanding, any kind of strike is widely criticised by the general public.

Get Up Stand Up on 14:46 - Feb 13 with 346 viewstonysoprano

I've been on strike on 5 occasions. Eventually got what we wanted every time.

Get Up Stand Up on 20:55 - Feb 13 with 323 viewsLala

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/47225381

Women need consent from a male guardian to leave the county. Wtf!

Now that I would protest against every day. Shocking what goes on in countries far less civilised than ours

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024