Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only Criticism 19:09 - Aug 31 with 6597 viewsNoDiddley

Can Joe Lumley save a penalty one day😜

Only Criticism on 17:40 - Sep 1 with 1847 viewsconnell10

Or drinking to much "proper job" Tel!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Only Criticism on 17:46 - Sep 1 with 1833 viewsWestbourneR

I presume you missed the changes to the office rule about 8 years ago and all the football and offsides that have followed it then.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Only Criticism on 18:29 - Sep 1 with 1779 viewsPinnerPaul

Indeed!

Pen very very sOft but he DID pull his shirt.

No way on earth is our goal offside. 1st pass Hugill IS in an offside position, but doesn't play the ball so no offence, he is then onside when Ryan makes his pass - so offence there.

I've said this before, but I would like to se ethe first line of the offside law up in every dressing room - IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE TO BE IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION.

Only Criticism on 19:02 - Sep 1 with 1715 viewsLazyFan

Well, the commentator said it was Chair and he is paid to get these things right!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Only Criticism on 19:58 - Sep 1 with 1651 viewssmegma

I've heard it all now

Only Criticism on 20:24 - Sep 1 with 1621 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This seems unnecessary to me.

Like having a go at the carpet because the dog’s shit on it.

Only Criticism on 20:36 - Sep 1 with 1594 viewsHarbour

Given the frequency of penalties we are conceding I expect Joe to save at least 3 penalties by the end of this season...!!

Only Criticism on 20:36 - Sep 1 with 1593 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Don't think it's entirely unfair. Lumley is a great keeper but he goes way too early on pens, it's so easy to read. Any good striker would easily put a pen past him

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Only Criticism on 21:50 - Sep 1 with 1527 viewsHoopstar

Perhaps it's only Nakhi helping him out in training taking them?

Only Criticism on 22:21 - Sep 1 with 1499 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

75% of penalties go in. Leave the lad be.

https://instatsport.com/football/article/penalty_research

EDIT: Because I’m a sad arse and the missus has copped the hump, I’ve just discovered Lumley has face ten penalties in his career and saved none which is a poor record.

However, seeing as over a whole career a average keeper only saves 1 in 4 and Lumley has only faced penalties in 1 in 8 games this means it’s a still a pretty petty criticism to me, but I suppose the OP sort of said that in the first place which is fair enough.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2019 22:37]

Only Criticism on 01:31 - Sep 2 with 1411 viewsTrom

I think the issue is more that he's jumping before the ball is struck, as a few have alluded too. Which is a coaching issue which you hope is being addressed.

Would be nice to see Lumley hit a bit of form as he looks a little out of confidence and nervous, which shows in his decision making at times. He looked pretty good the first half of last season and has a hard yardstick in Smithies. Ingram got destroyed last season by McLaren's tactics and made bad choices of when to play the ball short and totally fell apart.

A strange game of confidence for a keeper and Lumley's not had great protection in front of him. Given the high press and the speed of the backline, we are vulnerable to the quick counter. Definite focus on attacking football under Warburton which is great to watch but we will expose Lumley and need him and the backline to step up.

Great start to the season and hugely entertaining stuff being played. If we could tighten up at the back without losing that forward thrust it could be a great season.

Only Criticism on 13:02 - Sep 2 with 1227 viewstimcocking

Obviously, we all know the new offside rules.

How exactly it can be deemed not interfering with play when one is ten yards offside and you score, though...that's way beyond my comprehension levels.

Hey, i'm not complaining.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 13:10]

Only Criticism on 13:13 - Sep 2 with 1202 viewsPinnerPaul

This part isn't particularly new though!

You need to rule the laws - 'interfering with play' is defined there.

Basically it means touching the ball or challenging for the ball or interfering with an opponent by preventing them playing the ball- Hugill didn't do any of those after 1st pass to Manning, so not offside.

2nd pass he is in an onside position when Manning crosses.

Only Criticism on 13:20 - Sep 2 with 1192 viewstimcocking

???

Don't care what anybody or any law tells me, he was offside by a mile. Call a spade a spade i say. It's a bloody ridiculous rule.

I honestly would have thought we'd all agree on that, even on LFW.

Pretty certain all of the players and staff would agree.

And 100% certain that the person/people who initially came up with that rule weren't players themselves.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 13:23]

Only Criticism on 13:33 - Sep 2 with 1170 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm a firm believer in waiting until the ball has been struck as if its near you you will probably save it.

If it's going to the far corner you aint probably getting there anyway. (unless you're smithies)

You can't blame a keeper for letting any in though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Only Criticism on 17:08 - Sep 2 with 1096 viewsterryb

I agree the law is not correct, but I definitely don't want to go back to the law of my playing days! I expect you would see that Wednesday forwards were dfoing exactly the same throughout the match, as do all forwards at all clubs. The chances are that Hugill wouldn't have been in that position if this was not the law.

However, calling a spade a spade, HE WAS NOT OFFSIDE!

If it is within the laws it can't be given as an offence. irresperctive of whether you agree with the law or not!

Only Criticism on 18:21 - Sep 2 with 1053 viewsTacticalR

I thought the rule was that if you wave your hands in the air then you're not offside? Maybe you have to say abracadabra and touch your toes as well.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 18:21]

Air hostess clique

Only Criticism on 18:36 - Sep 2 with 1036 viewsBoston

No, when you wave your hands in the air, you don't care. That's the word up here anyway.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Only Criticism on 00:30 - Sep 3 with 945 viewstimcocking

offside

offside offside offside

[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 0:30]

Only Criticism on 09:35 - Sep 3 with 832 viewsdavman

Back to the OP, which has nothing to do with Hugill's clearly ONSIDE goal...

Trom's first para is right and backs up what my lad observed. Joe gives the way he is going to go by the jump and movement just before the ball is kicked. Maybe that is why he goes the wrong way most times?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Only Criticism on 09:53 - Sep 3 with 806 viewsAntti_Heinola

Nonsense.

Bare bones.

Only Criticism on 10:00 - Sep 3 with 795 viewsAntti_Heinola

This is an interesting debate, actually.

In 1990, Shilton waited until every shot was struck. He saved zero. Afterwards he was proud he went the right way every time. Stuart Pearce, angry at himself as well of course, just wanted to know why he hadn't gambled a bit - because he had no chance of saving them using his method.

Smithies doesn't wait until after the ball is struck - he's taking cues from the player's run up. In tennis (and cricket), players aren't waiting until a serve is hit before their shot - it's been proven that top players are reacting to cues from the server's body and action to *anticipate* where the ball will be hit.

so I don't think it's as simple as just waiting. jens Lehmann is very interesting on it. During a Germany pen shoot out with I think Holland, he was aware of the first pen taker's preference for shooting hard and high down the middle, so he deliberately didn't move. As it happened, the guy shot over the bar, but Lehmann said the very fact he didn't move then gave him a huge advantage. In his eyes, pen takers have three choices - left, right, centre. By showing he was willing to stand his ground, he said it forced the other takers to go left or right and his chances of saving went from 1 in 3 to 1 in 2. He did save at leas one more and they won. A lot of that might just be psychological games for himself, but it worked for him. Obviously, things are different in a one-off penalty as opposed to a shoot-out, too.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 11:07]

Bare bones.

Only Criticism on 10:35 - Sep 3 with 772 viewsCamberleyR

The problem with Shilton in 1990 was that he was 40 years of age and just didn't have the flexibility and agility anymore. It's why he made the mess he did of the goal West Germany scored in normal time. The Shilton of ten years previously when he was at his peak winning league titles and European Cups with Forest would have saved Brehme's deflected free kick and probably one or two of the penalties.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Only Criticism on 10:54 - Sep 3 with 751 viewsAntti_Heinola

Further to my post, I'd argue almost no keeper dives *after* the ball is kicked. Evidence: Heidar Helguson. His pen technique was to walk up and watch the keeper. The moment the keeper moved, which he has to do to have a chance of saving it, he placed it the other side of him. If the keeper didn't move, he was accurate enough to stroke it into a corner and the keeper had no chance - but almost every time, the keeper blinked first. Possibly only Cech didn't, and he still couldn't save it.

Bare bones.

Only Criticism on 10:59 - Sep 3 with 747 viewsstevec

He's in good company.

Apparently Petr Cech didn't save 13 consecutive penalties at Arsenal, and that was up to 2017 so may have been more.

Can only find top flight keeper records so no idea what the record is in EFL.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024