Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
China coronavirus 06:42 - Jan 25 with 3535 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

First case confirmed in Bordeaux another two in Paris....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51245680

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

China coronavirus on 08:28 - Jan 25 with 1305 viewsROTTWEILERS

File alongside bird flu, SARS etc

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

China coronavirus on 10:10 - Jan 25 with 1301 viewsspell_chekker

The ill guy at Bordeaux is origially from China.

He was visiting there.

He's doing ok.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

China coronavirus on 13:29 - Jan 26 with 1281 viewsLala

A bit worried about it to be honest. Stocked up on anti bacterial hand gel but stopped short at making my own face mask 😷

Am I over reacting do you think?

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

China coronavirus on 14:48 - Jan 26 with 1271 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I'm prepared just in case it all goes south fast.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

China coronavirus on 14:53 - Jan 26 with 1268 viewsLala

You’d be better equipped with some of my hand gel 👍

China coronavirus on 15:02 - Jan 26 with 1267 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I've sorted one out for you as well Lala...

China coronavirus on 15:22 - Jan 26 with 1262 viewsLala

Love it 😍 my employers may not 😩

China coronavirus on 21:41 - Jan 30 with 1247 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

British nationals trapped in Wuhan will return home on Friday, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said.

A flight carrying 150 Britons and 50 EU citizens, most thought to be Spanish, will leave China at 07:00 local time (23:00 GMT Thursday).

They will fly to RAF Brize Norton before the UK nationals are taken to be quarantined at a centre believed to be Arrowe Park Hospital in the Wirral.

The remaining passengers will be flown to another EU airport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51314028

Think I'd take my chances staying in Wuhan.

China coronavirus on 14:21 - Jan 31 with 1228 viewsLala

Off to York tomorrow where apparently the first 2 uk cases are from before being transferred to Newcastle. Genuinely don’t know whether to go 🤔

Have my anti bacterial gel and gloves. It’s hard to know how serious this thing is going to get, especially with the 2 week symptom free incubation period muddying the waters.

Would you risk a train journey into the city we know has been infected on some level?

China coronavirus on 14:36 - Jan 31 with 1227 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Yes I'd go. Not trying to underplay the seriousness of it, but look up how many die from the flu each winter in this country.

It's a threat because there's no vaccine yet, which would make it a major problem for countries with a poor health care system (Africa, Latin America etc....)

If the Chinese figures are to be believed, the death rate is about 2%, and seems to be worst for men over 50 with some sort of pre-condition (Better quarantine AVFTT now), from what I've read or has been reported.

China coronavirus on 14:44 - Jan 31 with 1225 viewsLala

Haha re Afvtt

Cheers Red, am going to go, been really looking forward to it all week. My glands have come up as soon as I read it though psychological Sid at play!

China coronavirus on 15:53 - Jan 31 with 1221 viewsspudgun

Had a phone call from young spud at dinnertime saying their is a lot of concern at his uni (Lancaster) where there is a very large Chinese contingent (all wearing masks), and whether he should give lectures a miss for a few weeks.

I said "Nice try cutie! Just avoid licking the computer keyboards in the library and you should be alright."

He said I was a harsh dad and asked to speak to his mum.....
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 16:03]

China coronavirus on 15:57 - Jan 31 with 1219 viewsLala

China coronavirus on 07:02 - Feb 6 with 1202 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Chinese officials were "concerned" Boris Johnson did not send a personal message of support after the coronavirus outbreak, emails suggest.

The PM's father, Stanley Johnson, met Chinese ambassador Liu Xiaoming and emailed his worries to UK officials - accidentally copying in the BBC.

Mr Liu told him the prime minister had not yet directly contacted the Chinese.

A government spokesman said the UK had been in close contact with the Chinese authorities since the outbreak.

Sources also stressed Stanley Johnson was not acting on behalf or at the request of the British government.

Stanley Johnson held a 90-minute meeting with Mr Liu on Tuesday.

Mr Johnson, a longstanding environmental campaigner, was invited to the Chinese embassy to discuss summits on the topic, due to take place this autumn in China and the UK.

Shortly after the meeting, the PM's father used his personal email address to share an account of the discussion with the environment minister Lord Goldsmith and other UK officials.

He wrote: "Re the outbreak of coronavirus, Mr Liu obviously was concerned that there had not yet - so he asserted - been direct contact between the PM and Chinese head of state or government in terms of a personal message or telephone call."

'Extremely useful'
Stanley Johnson also revealed he had raised the possibility of his son visiting China in October to attend an international conference on biodiversity, COP15, which will be held in Kunming.

Lord Goldsmith wrote a reply from his personal email address saying: "Thank you so much Stanley. That is extremely useful."

No one in the exchange appeared to have noticed the BBC was copied in until it was raised with them.

Mr Liu later shared pictures of him and Stanley Johnson on Twitter, saying they met to exchange views on the COP15 meeting and the COP26 meeting on climate change, to be hosted in Glasgow.

He added: "These two conferences are great opportunities to promote international cooperation on environmental protection & climate change."

A UK government spokesman said: "The government has been in close contact with the Chinese authorities since the start of the outbreak."

The foreign secretary and national security adviser had spoken to their counterparts in the past week, the spokesman added.

"The UK has provided medical supplies to help China tackle the outbreak and together we have facilitated the repatriation of British nationals and their dependants from Wuhan," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51394044

China coronavirus on 07:14 - Feb 6 with 1199 viewsspell_chekker

A lot of these worrying diseases, bird flu for instance, seem to start in Asia and the far east.

Boris' dad.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

China coronavirus on 11:03 - Feb 8 with 1180 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Five Britons have tested positive for coronavirus in France, local health officials have confirmed.

Four adults and a child were diagnosed with the virus in eastern France, including a British national who recently returned from Singapore.

The French health minister said they had been staying in the same ski chalet in the Haute-Savoie region in the Alps.

A total of 11 Britons staying at the chalet have been hospitalised in Lyon, Saint-Etienne and Grenoble.

Health Minister Agnès Buzyn said on Saturday that none of the group is in a serious condition.

The new cases all stem from a British national who arrived in Contamines-Montjoie ski resort on 24 January following a trip to Singapore.

It is believed the Briton infected three other British adults and a child.

Six others - all British - who came into contact with the group but have not tested positive are being kept in hospital for observation.

It comes as four members of the same British family were admitted to hospital in Majorca after contact with a coronavirus carrier.

They are being tested at the University Hospital of Son Espases in Palma.

The British family said they had been in contact with a person who recently tested positive for the virus in France, the government in Spain's Balearic Islands said.

The man has been quarantined and all four family members are being tested for the virus.

There have been three cases of coronavirus in the UK so far and almost 35,000 cases of coronavirus worldwide, mostly in mainland China.

A British man transferred from a cruise ship off the coast of Japan on Friday after testing positive for the virus is said to be feeling well and in good spirits.

Alan Steele, from Wolverhampton, on his honeymoon with his wife Wendy, was among 61 people to be taken off the ship for hospital treatment.

She has been in telephone contact with her husband, and said in a Facebook post on Saturday that he was still feeling healthy.

Meanwhile, around 150 Britons on the next UK government flight back from Wuhan will be taken to a conference centre in Milton Keynes for a 14-day quarantine.

Milton Keynes University Hospitals NHS Trust said there was no risk to local people as anyone showing symptoms would not be allowed to board the plane.

The Department of Health and Social Care said that 620 people in the UK have been tested for coronavirus as of Friday afternoon, with three cases confirmed.

The third patient caught the virus at a business conference in Singapore, the BBC's Hugh Pym says.

He is thought to have tested positive for the virus in Brighton and called NHS 111 from home for advice before going by arrangement to an isolation facility at the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

The two other UK cases - both Chinese nationals - are being treated at the Royal Victoria Infirmary infectious diseases centre in Newcastle.

In mainland China, the death toll rose to 722 on Saturday, while the number of confirmed cases stands at 34, 546.

Outside China, 270 cases have been confirmed in 25 countries, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), with two fatalities - one in Hong Kong and another in the Philippines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51425702

China coronavirus on 11:46 - Feb 8 with 1176 viewsspell_chekker

Do you think we'll see the day when one of these weird diseases wipes out humanity?

The worst we've had until now is AIDS.

China coronavirus on 12:04 - Feb 8 with 1171 viewsspudgun

I think it is a racing certainty, spell.

We are just a plague animal having our very brief time on this planet and some bacterial nasty will do for us in the end. Probably.

Antimicrobial resistance to antibiotics (and particularly the overuse of antibiotics in the food chain) will catch up with us eventually; our meat is full of stuff that it shouldn`t have in it.

Hey, ho! now we`re looking for new trading partners, we`ve got that nice GM fed beef from America to look forward to. *

*This opinion is (very) loosely based on `scientific stuff` off the interweb, and talking to local farmers. So at least some of it is bob on - farmers are the nearly always right...

China coronavirus on 18:45 - Feb 9 with 1151 viewsspell_chekker

Big profound moment of realisation here!!!!! WOW.

We're only temporarily on this planet Spud.

If you can be bothered bearing with me, I'll tell you a story.

You're now sitting at your kitchen table, eating your vegetarian breakfast for the good of your health and the planet.

Imagine that the length of your kitchen table, from one end to the other, represents the amount of time that the planet earth has existed since the big bang.

Then, you think about the amount of time that the human race, since homo erectus and all that, has existed and you will realise that it is only represented by a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a millimetre of the length of your kitchen table.

For everything we've ever done in the existence of humanity, we only count for a hundredth of a millemetre of Spud's kitchen table.

We're insignificant and one way or the other, eventually, we'll cease to exist.

China coronavirus on 19:04 - Feb 9 with 1150 viewsLala

That’s a nice thought Spell.

But put into perspective I suppose it does take the pressure off trying to achieve anything of significance.

I’ve been in bed since yesterday lunch with woman flu. My pal has reassured me it’s not the Coronavirus even though I was in York last weekend 😩 Hate being ill, have no patience for it at all.

China coronavirus on 19:18 - Feb 9 with 1148 viewsspudgun

Very true spell.

I think I read that if the planet was represented as a 24 hour clock, we would have been on it for only one second.

And if the time that humans have been on earth is represented as a 24 hour clock, Christ`s time on earth is something like 15 minutes!

So we are pretty insignificant.

`Just a microscopic cog
In his catastrophic plan,
Designed and directed
By his red right hand.`

...If you wanted to be a little cynical about it...

And I don`t have a kitchen table...

Edit to add: sorry to hear you`re not so good Lala,...
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 19:19]

China coronavirus on 19:19 - Feb 9 with 1146 viewsspell_chekker

What on earth is woman flu?

China coronavirus on 19:27 - Feb 9 with 1138 viewsLala

It’s the real thing as opposed to the male version.

China coronavirus on 19:28 - Feb 9 with 1138 viewsspell_chekker

I hope you're better soon Lala.

I was in York last summer.

Very nice.

I stayed at the Travelodge York Central.

Maybe we slept in the same bed?

China coronavirus on 19:48 - Feb 9 with 1135 viewsLala

Haha it was just a day trip for me!

I’ll be fine in a couple of days thanks Spell. I am just a very moany grumpy patient.
York is beautiful. Am contemplating grappling with the wind to go and get some chocolate and to see what all the fuss is about out there, so I must be on the mend.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024