Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
03/04 rewind 14:54 - Apr 11 with 2130 viewsNorthernr

Starts at 3, usual club channels.

03/04 rewind on 16:05 - Apr 11 with 1523 viewsLimehouseR

One of my favourite seasons.

That cup game with Man City as Joey Barton embraces SWP after their third goal...
Bet they never thought they’d be playing together again with us!

Forgot how many vital goals Tony Thorpe got for us that season too.

Rowlands was immense.

Cureton scoring at the death against Port Vale in the last minute after I thought we’d thrown it away. Scenes.

03/04 rewind on 16:22 - Apr 11 with 1514 viewsHAYESBOY

How good was Rowlands that season.

Still one of my favourite players I saw play.

Smells like a trout farm in here

03/04 rewind on 16:45 - Apr 11 with 1496 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brilliant. All the emotions under the sun there.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

03/04 rewind on 17:00 - Apr 11 with 1473 viewsslmrstid

What a wonderful year that was, I was 14 through that season and oh how intense it was every week, especially those last few months as we were nip and tuck with Bristol City...

I remember the day before the trip to Hillsborough sitting through a GCSE Geography class at school where we were watching those weird videos you always had to watch, then there was a bit came on talking about birth rates in developing countries, then the backing music was the nursery rhyme we used to sing "The R's are going up..." along to.

It was almost like it was a sign! It was odd, never have I been so nervous going to a game on the way to Hillsborough, but I remember also feeling like it was written that we would do it.

What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful day that was. The utter release of 18 months of tension (given that really it rolled on from the second half of the 02/03 season) and the end of our own years of hurt after relegations, administration, play-offs, Vauxhall Motors etc...

This spell for me is why Ian Holloway will always be a QPR legend.

In terms of the squad...

I'd also forgotten how many goals Tony Thorpe scored that year.
Rowly really was an all action midfielder, much like Luke Freeman 12-13 years on.
Nick Culkin was a dreadful goalie. I loved Chris Day but he had a habit of being beaten quite easily at times too.

On a slightly more sour note, I think I also remember Terrell Forbes sitting out the last 2 months of the season whilst waiting for his rape trial?

Still that aside, memories! What a time to be a QPR fan. Brought it all back watching that, the tension, the release, the joy...

03/04 rewind on 17:08 - Apr 11 with 1457 viewsNorthernr

Got a bit emotional there at the end.
Think we only actually lost about 4 or 5 games but just too many draws when we’d sat back on a lead. 23 game league season unbeaten at home.
I remember the mutual hatred the whole league had for Bristol City and their weird arrogance that they would just win it. Remember on the City Rivals site they had a weekly promotion calculator which always ended up with them top with 107 points and sht like that. Actually a huge amount of mutual respect between us and Plymouth by the end, culminating in us staying to clap them lifting the trophy.

Rowlands as a winger - unplayable that season.
Kevin McLeod - good player should have done more with himself.
Gino’s set pieces 😍
Tony Thorpe always a lot more influential than anybody remembers.
4 players into double figures for goals? I wonder if this is our best season for that since with Eze, Hugill and Nahki?

This post has been edited by an administrator

03/04 rewind on 17:22 - Apr 11 with 1437 viewsDevon_4_England

Glorious season

03/04 rewind on 17:55 - Apr 11 with 1406 viewsterryb

Most of us will remember how badly Dave Thomas was treated as Hillsborough, but how many will remember the post he made on the day before the game?

I can't remember what site it was on,, but it was inspiring & summed up my feelings exactly! It was along the lines of we've come too far to fail now & I'm sure that we won't.

Anyhow, I took it as a battlecry!

My son was at Lancaster University at the time, but I managed to get tickets for him & my wife in the open area to the left of the goal while I was directly behind it.

Anyhow, I will never forget our embrace when we met up after the game!

03/04 rewind on 17:56 - Apr 11 with 1405 viewsqpr_1968

been trying to get that tape/dvd for years, no luck.

the youngsters amongst us must surely put that first ainsworth goal against Rushden the best they've ever seen in a qpr shirt, bettered only by Sinclair in '97, my view only.

Rowlands was outstanding that year.

my favourite all round outing that season was Hartlepool away.
great win, great turnout (nice to be on the terrace), and a good trip on the lsa coach.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

03/04 rewind on 18:13 - Apr 11 with 1390 viewsNorthernr

Those of us on the train had a fun trip. Up to Newcastle and across on the way there but after the match it went off in this little square out the front of the station. Coupled with that West Ham were at Sunderland and they decided they didn’t want us going back through there, so our train bowled through without stopping and they told us to get the next one going the opposite way, change at some village (Yarm?) and rejoin our planned journey at York.

There was a little pub overlooking this village station when we got there and I swear the whole away end was in there. Reckon the landlady doubled her annual turnover in an evening.

Also the day of the fat bloke and the deckchairs still half time

03/04 rewind on 18:21 - Apr 11 with 1365 viewsqpr_1968

used to love them stop overs travelling up to away games.
we stopped off in thirsk for the Hartlepool game.

and for the sheff wed game, we stopped off at a right rough dive in Rotherham.

03/04 rewind on 18:22 - Apr 11 with 1362 viewssimmo

Wonderful stuff and probably as good as it'll get for Rangers of a certain age, not necessarily success-wise, but just to have a proper club mentality all cobbled together and being brilliant in our own right. A couple of old heads up top, exciting young prospects, a few of our own and a random bloke from Argentina with a wonderful left foot...

Everything seemed peak QPR, right down to Billy doing the great QPR World stuff. All the bullshit and hardship of the preceding years (and disappointment of Cardiff) just galvanised everyone and made that season so special, felt like we'd regained identity and pride.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

03/04 rewind on 18:45 - Apr 11 with 1318 views2Thomas2Bowles

What a season, so much going on, on and off the pitch, crazy mad days.

For me, it ranks alongside 75/76 a Joyest time.

Loved Tony Thorpe, I thought he was a real old-time SF but so many of those players are forever R's

I went to most of the away games. SW was a bit like Highbury 82 or Zamora's day absolutely crazy and wonderful.

Give me a season like that over a season in the Prem anytime.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 19:16]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

03/04 rewind on 18:52 - Apr 11 with 1301 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That was brilliant viewing. No live streaming back then so I saw very few of those games. I usually caught the goals later on but that was about it for overseas fans back then. We really were exiled.

So this was a real treat.

There was so much to be proud of that year - our fans, our unity, our manager, our Rangers-supporting players and those players who weren't R's but who were really great pros.

And we succeeded. How beautiful is life.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

03/04 rewind on 18:52 - Apr 11 with 1300 viewsToast_R

I missed most of it, caught the Bournemouth home game in August, went travelling for 9 months and then caught the Hillsborough beam back at LR.

03/04 rewind on 19:37 - Apr 11 with 1233 viewsmcqpr10

Three years pervious to that we were in administration with only 7 fit players and serious doubts over the future of the club having suffered a torturous few years and many, many humbling defeats.

We scrambled a team together and scraped in to the top half of div 2. Then slowly started adding quality all over he pitch. Heartbreak in Cardiff but a special bond had formed between the fans and a committed, tough and talented team. The recruitment at the time was brilliant (Sabin gave us Grimsby away ok) and we deservedly won promotion on a magical day at Hillsborough. I was 18 at the time and for me it’s my favourite time following Qpr. Holloway did a great job fostering a sense of togetherness. Loftus road was rocking for them years and for me it surpasses Wembley and promotion with Warnock. The club had been on its knees and we were all truly together.

03/04 rewind on 19:40 - Apr 11 with 1222 viewsstowmarketrange

The club did a double dvd pack of highlights of the season and the whole 90 mins from hillsbotough.Have you checked eBay?
My mate caught Kevin gallens boot as he threw them into the lower tier.He hardly ever went after that season so Kevin definitely threw it to the wrong bloke.
Fantastic day out though,apart from those divs trying to attack our fans from the home stands.

03/04 rewind on 19:47 - Apr 11 with 1207 viewslosethedrum

The Hartlepool away game was also one of Lee Camps 1st games for us if not his debut & at 0-0 he pulled off a one on one save to set up the win , they were well up for it having won 4 or 5 on the bounce before this game .
Yes not the safest walk back to the station , the police did a great job keeping them away from us to be fair , i was glad to make it into the relative safety of the station building .

03/04 rewind on 20:03 - Apr 11 with 1188 viewsdezzar

Hillsborough was a fantastic day , but i have always disliked Owls after there fans antics after game . was anyone onn here on the coach that stopped off at a pub south of Birminghan after Cardiff playoff, on its way back to Leeds? 20 hour day but i loved it , apart from result

03/04 rewind on 20:25 - Apr 11 with 1155 viewsqpr_1968

haven't checked on e bay no.

them divs who ran on at the end sparked out a couple of our 15 year olds....cowards.
Qpr fans were too busy celebrating to have known what was going on, otherwise those Sheffield wedneday fans would have been served up.

never liked Wednesday after that game, seems to be a bit of history between us now.....didn't know what their problem was, but I think it was just the case of us bringing near 8,000 fans to their ground....simple as.

03/04 rewind on 20:29 - Apr 11 with 1151 viewsstowmarketrange

And of course the biggest muppet was the stadium announcer who kept telling us that Danny Wilson’s brizzle were winning,which fired up the home support even more.
One on eBay for £28.99 if you’re interested.Probably go back down to £5 tomorrow.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 20:32]

03/04 rewind on 20:33 - Apr 11 with 1135 viewsqpr_1968

yeah forgot about that.....put him on par with that muppet from Brentford.

03/04 rewind on 20:39 - Apr 11 with 1124 views2Thomas2Bowles

I think that may have helped our players

How divine was Fur's goal, I think that was the moment the whole of that stand went mad, I know I ended up on the floor with a load of others in the celebration... then they scored

03/04 rewind on 20:44 - Apr 11 with 1104 views2Thomas2Bowles

Oh yeah and the year of the Bristol *pop* *pop* *pop* even the Plymouth lot joined in.

03/04 rewind on 21:35 - Apr 11 with 1059 viewsdistortR

i was in their end, Furlong was getting vile abuse, ohhhhh when he scored.

I was with a mate, we sat on our hands, they couldn't quite work out if we were Rangers or not, lots of general threats............

03/04 rewind on 00:30 - Apr 12 with 942 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve got a spare copy of the dvd if you want it.It was given to me a couple of years ago by joolspy who moved to Canada.
Send us a pm with your address mate and I’ll put it in the post ASAP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024