Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Starting XI (as of now) 09:06 - Jul 2 with 1454 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Going 3-4-3

Maxwell

Howe Edwards Husband

Feeney Virtue Kaikai MacDonald

Hardie Madine Anderson.

I've left the Fonz out...

Squad here....

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Starting XI (as of now) on 18:27 - Sep 6 with 314 viewsspell_chekker

Agree with your selection Red although I feel only Maxwell, Robson, and Hamilton are nailed down. + Anderson nearly nailed down.

Becoming a big fan of Robson.

I'm sure, in a different system, he could be more offensive and box to box.

Unruffled on the ball and tough in the tackle.

Replacing him and Maxwell were the big misses in the second half on Saturday.

What about Ward. Tidy but never a stand out who imposes himself. Replacing him with Virtue or Antwi would give Robson some licence to get forward. ??????

When the bullets start to fly in the league season, I'll be looking for Ward to stand up and be counted a bit more.

Sarkic has been unlucky. Has done OK whenever I've seen him and should be breathing down the necks of the first eleven and capable of making himself undroppable whenever a chance arises through injury / suspension, etc. ...

There are others capable of breaking into the forst team when they inevitably get a chance. Thorniley, Mitchell, Lubala, Kemp, being examples. Also there will be some signings or loans to come.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Starting XI (as of now) on 20:05 - Sep 6 with 313 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Only position I think is up for grabs at the moment is Ward/Virtue. Ward gets in as he's got the shirt at the moment, but Virtue will get you goals.

Yates is nailed on to start as well, partly because he's no real competition for his spot.

Still don't think there's enough goals in the team. Will probably need about 70 goals to be at the pointy end of the table in May.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Starting XI (as of now) on 20:26 - Sep 6 with 309 viewsspell_chekker

There's mileage in the Virtue instead of Ward argument.

Putting Virtue in might complicate things short term but it'd allow Robson to get forward from time to time - and he can do that to great effect.

Don't forget though, Critchley knows Virtue's game very well indeed.

I like what I see and Critchley's decision is good enough for me.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Starting XI (as of now) on 08:26 - Sep 9 with 298 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

After Barrow

Maxwell

Turton Ekpiteta Nottingham Shaw

Ward Robson Anderson

Hamilton Yates Kaikai

Think Husband might have pulled a hammy. Virtue injured, Sarkic?

Williams, Lubala need more pre-season, guessing same with Mitchell.

Starting XI (as of now) on 08:34 - Sep 9 with 296 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Starting XI (as of now) on 12:21 - Sep 9 with 290 viewsspell_chekker

I'm keeping an unchanged team and feel as though Ward is starting to show some real quality with the ball at his feet. I'm swinging closer and closer to him and away from Virtue.

Playing Williams allows Robson to get forward more but this type of change would probably go hand in hand with playing attacking full backs (Howe, Mitchell, even Shaw) and I'm a long way from giving them the green light ahead of Turton and Husband. Allied to this is the increasing influence of Ward - I wouldn't want him dropped for Williams at the moment.

Maxwell

Turton Ekpiteta Nottingham Husband

Robson

Ward

Hamilton Anderson Kaikai

Yates

Starting XI (as of now) on 11:25 - Sep 14 with 282 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

After Plymouth

Maxwell

Virtue Robson Anderson

Hamilton Yates Kaikai

If Husband still injured, then Mitchell. Virtue over Ward as I think he's more of a goal threat. Also like to see Shaw on the bench, as I didn't understand that first substitution on Saturday.

Starting XI (as of now) on 17:47 - Sep 14 with 276 viewsspell_chekker

Same team for me, provided Husband's injury free. Chopping and changing won't do anyone any good at the moment.

The manager's got to back his players, therefore gaining their trust.

The players need as much time together as possible so they can gel together.

Has anyone had so much of a stinker that they should be dropped. No, far from it.

Has anyone outside the first 11 made an irresistible case? Not really.

Maxwell

Robson

Hamilton Ward Anderson Kaikai

Yates

Starting XI (as of now) on 20:00 - Sep 27 with 256 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

After Gillingham

Maxwell

Virtue Robson Anderson

Hamilton Yates Kaikai

Starting XI (as of now) on 20:24 - Sep 27 with 251 viewsspell_chekker

If results don't improve, the tinkering will have to come soon.

For the moment, it's important to hold your nerve and support the players.

Also, I favour (for this moment in time - continuity, stability, defence) defensive over attacking fullbacks who will tuck in either side of Robson when necessary.

The reason being that we should normally be OK with creativity up top and we need more assurance in defence.
Maxwell

Robson

Hamilton Ward Anderson Kaikai

Yates

Starting XI (as of now) on 22:19 - Oct 6 with 245 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

After Accrington

Maxwell

Gabriel Ekpiteta Grétarsson Garbutt

Anderson Williams Robson

Hamilton Yates Kaikai

Starting XI (as of now) on 22:29 - Oct 6 with 242 viewsspell_chekker

Too many new players to judge properly but here goes.

Ekpiteta to keep the shirt - If / When he loses his place to Ballard it will have to be for a good reason.

Kaikai still in there despite worries over fitness and injuries.

Maxwell
Gabriel Ekpiteta Grétarsson Mitchell
Robson
Anderson Garbutt
Hamilton Yates Kaikai

Now the squad is, more or less, finalised, the manager has to quickly decide on his preferred formation and starting eleven and stick with it.

Starting XI (as of now) on 22:58 - Oct 6 with 241 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Mitchell keeps going forward too often, forgets he's a defender, which leaves a big hole down that side which has been exploited the last couple of games.

It's what was impressive about Gabriel tonight, Defender first. Doubt he crossed the half way line more than Turton.

Starting XI (as of now) on 07:11 - Oct 11 with 228 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

After Ipswich

Maxwell

Gabriel Ekpiteta Grétarsson Husband

Kemp Williams Robson

Hamilton Madine Kaikai

Starting XI (as of now) on 17:50 - Oct 15 with 226 viewsspell_chekker

Critchley will be forced to rethink things to find a winning formula ff results don't improve in the next couple of weeks. I think this would be our most likely change in formation.

When Virtue gets back to fitness we'll have the personnel to play a midfield diamond.

This should give us more strength at the back without limiting our attacking options too much.

In waiting for Virtue to regain fitness, Garbutt (who didn't have a pre-season) will be much fitter and Gabriel . Grétarsson, and Ballard will be integrated more fully into our ways.

Maxwell
Gabriel Ballard Grétarsson Garbutt
Antwi (fulcrum of diamond)
Virtue (right of diamond), Robson (left of diamond)
Kaikai (tip of diamond)
Hamilton Yates

Starting XI (as of now) on 07:55 - Oct 18 with 222 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

After Crewe

Maxwell

Turton Ekpiteta Ballard Husband

Woodburn Williams Robson

Hamilton Madine Yates

Starting XI (as of now) on 18:03 - Oct 18 with 212 viewsspell_chekker

An always more than interesting thread.

Let's keep it going throughout the season.

This week, I'm going to throw one out there and speculate on my hopes on players that I've hardly seen.

One of the plus points is the improvement of the defence and in particular, the development of the raw Ekpiteta.

If he continues to learn and improve at the current rate he'll certainly become, in 18 months or so, one of our rocks to count on. He's got the attributes to be so if he continues to develop. Competition from the likes of Ballard is welcome.

Any talk of a back 3 is absolute tosh. A back 3 is employed by teams who are either in dire trouble (example: Big Sam comes in for a desperate team who've been cut adrift and makes what is effectively a back 5 + 2 defensive mids to shore things up) or for a very limited squad (like us last year with nothing on the left).

We're nowhere near that point yet. If we're in the relegation zone after Christmas then perhaps it'll be the thing to do.

The objective of our strategy of playing inverted wingers, on the wrong foot, is to condence play inside the lines of the goalkeeper's area. Thus giving us passing and triangle / movement overloads and options to open up massed defences.

It takes time to learn, perfect, to play our way through teams that sit back. We've not yet made many, any, clear cut opportunities, but it it will be being worked on and perfected.

Many of the top international sides face this problem with the minnows turning up not for a game but with a massed defence. Time is needed to develop our strategy. We've got good, upwardly mobile, players on long contracts

Also, this week, I've posted about us possibly playing a midfield diamond. This could narrow the play, make our defense more solid, and not reduce our attacking threat too much.

Even though he's injured, and I'm not a massive fan, I'll pick Virtue as he's the only guy we've got to fit in to this system.

Also, today, as we're in the process of stopping the rot / grinding out results, I've favoured our defensive full back pairing.

Maxwell
Turton Ekpiteta Grétarsson Husband
Dougall (fulcrum of diamond)
Virtue (right of diamond) Robson (left of diamond)
Either Kaikai / Woodburn / or Sarkic (point of diamond)
Yates Hamilton

If we start to pick up then I'd venture forward with more attacking, overlapping, full backs.

Hope this makes sense.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 18:46]

Starting XI (as of now) on 19:09 - Oct 18 with 196 viewsspell_chekker

BFC, and Critchley, are on the right lines.

As Red said recently, we'll need another couple of transfer windows to sort out our squad.

Some of them will work our and some of them won't.

Get rid of one or two.

One or two to come in and make a difference.

BUT, we're on the right lines to get there.

Of that, I'm sure.

Starting XI (as of now) on 10:15 - Oct 29 with 186 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

4-2-1-3

Maxwell

Gabriel Ballard Grétarsson Garbutt

Williams Dougall

Woodburn

Hamilton Madine Kaikai

Starting XI (as of now) on 11:51 - Oct 29 with 182 viewsspell_chekker

In my selection I'm going to completely disregard injuries, suspensions, and fitness levels.

I was really disappointed with Critchley when he started to abandon his football principles. I understand that he's got to try and find the best combination so I can work with stuff like having 2 defensive midfielders and not using inverted wide players but (even if there is nobody else), the selection of Madine leaves me speechless. There's no way in a million years he can play the system Critchley wants.

As far as Madine's concerned, even though he's the only alternative his appearances should be limited to coming on as sub for the last 15 / 20 when tired legs can go direct to the big man.

Critchley has to rediscover his principles. At the heart of this is his 1 defensive midfielder (Robson) and 2 attacking midfielders (Anderson and Ward).

To help Robson out and maintain stability at the back, I'll play the defensive full backs.

I'll get Anderson and Ward back together. The whole point of choosing Anderson and Ward is that they are 'give and go' players. Passing, triangle, running, interchanging sort of moves.

The root of our problem is that this 'give and go' isn't happening as it was during both pre and early season.

Stick to what you want Neil, hold your nerve, don't compromise, and make heads roll among the front 5 if they can't deliver your 'give and go' model.

4-1-2-3

Maxwell
Turton Ekpiteta Ballard Husband
Robson
Ward Anderson
Hamilton Yates Woodburn

Possible tweaks:

Play 2 defensive midfielders with 2 attacking full backs if you want more width.

Kaikai dropped as he needs to play centrally, just behind the main attacker to keep him involved, or not at all.

Hamilton - He's a huge threat and the fastest thing on 2 legs so he keeps his place but I'm not sure that his one touch game, overall movement, and awareness are good enough to play the system.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 11:54]

Starting XI (as of now) on 12:08 - Oct 29 with 178 viewsspell_chekker

Get back to other stuff to like pressing high up the pitch, defenders carrying the ball out, and playing a high back line.

Put your faith in all the stuff you led us to believe at the start Neil.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 12:08]

Starting XI (as of now) on 19:12 - Nov 4 with 170 viewsspell_chekker

I'm ambitious and, after a couple of inspiring wins against rock bottom Wigan and Burton, I'm going to name a line up to get past Eastbourne.

Obviously, with the embarrassment of riches in our squad, I'm going 4-4-2.

What else? It's the Blackpool way.

Maxwell
Clogger / Head it / Kick it / Hoofer
Get-Stuck-In / Battler / Scrapper / Put-Yer-Foot-In
Big Lad / Little Lad

Subs:-
Two Banks of Four
Play the Percentages
Wet and Windy Evening in Stoke
Take No Prisoners
Gives 110%
Good Touch for a Big Man

Head Coach:-
J-Sung Park The Bus

Assistant Head Coach:-
Duple

Assistant to the Assistant Head Coach:-
No Nonsense Ex Centre Half

Owner (and fans):-
Taken for a Ride

Prediction:-
Workmanlike 1-0 win.

Match Report:-
Our man up top was too much of a handful for Eastbourne, bullied their back four, and was a nuisance all afternoon. We were professional enough to stop them from playing their natural game.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 19:14]

Starting XI (as of now) on 19:24 - Nov 4 with 163 viewsspell_chekker

We should be OK to stay mid table L1 for the next 29 years or so.

Starting XI (as of now) on 19:30 - Nov 4 with 162 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

You missed out "Get it in the mixer"

Starting XI (as of now) on 19:41 - Nov 4 with 160 viewsspell_chekker

My name is not Andy Pilley.

I can't take my ball and go elsewhere to play for the rest of my life. I'm doomed - is that's how things are going to pan out? Bog standard lower league 4-4-2?

Yes, we needed the points and we had to get them somehow but, if that's all he can think of, well, get rid of Critchley now.

For example. We signed a 17 year old lad on a pro contract today. Rob Apter.

Are we going to give him a football education to fit into that kind of system?

Why stop there? Let's implement a root and branch L1 style throughout the entrire club!!!!

OK, we won a couple of games. Got the points. Needed at the time but could have been done differently although he should have done something other than that.

4-4-2 battlers with a big lad and a little lad playing off him ffs. Joke kind of stuff.

New appointment:-
Youth Academy coach: On the Head
[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 19:47]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024