Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Maradona 16:33 - Nov 25 with 11206 viewsAberystwythR

Multiple reports coming out that he has passed away
[Post edited 25 Nov 2020 16:34]

RIP Maradona on 20:06 - Nov 25 with 1694 viewsHayesender

Never forgiven Shilton for the penalty shootout in the semi final. Didn't move a muscle until every kick had been taken, giving himself no chance of getting near any of them.

Apparently the arrogant cock even boasted about going the right way for every kick in the changing room after.

Fck me, I'd have managed to dive the right way if I dived after the bastard ball had gone past me

Poll: Shamima Beghum

RIP Maradona on 20:07 - Nov 25 with 1694 viewsParkRoyalR

Traininvain's brother, what a brilliant piece of writing, just superb.

RIP Maradona on 20:08 - Nov 25 with 1691 viewsCamberleyR

Shilton at 36, going on 37 shouldn't have been first choice going into that World Cup in 1986, he was there by default as there wasn't really any consistent, high quality keepers pushing him.

He was on the downward slide with reflexes and agility going and was most definitely past it in 1990 but again was still there because the alternative was Chris Woods and Seaman was still a few years away from very top level.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

RIP Maradona on 20:13 - Nov 25 with 1673 viewsqpr_1968

very good read, well put together.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

RIP Maradona on 20:16 - Nov 25 with 1667 viewsCamberleyR

He always had the same technique. Check this out from 1974, a 2-2 draw in a friendly with Argentina just before the World Cup that year. Skip to about 5:35 in the video. He's started to dive as Kempes' penalty is virtually hitting the back of the net.

Did he ever save one?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

RIP Maradona on 20:16 - Nov 25 with 1667 viewstraininvain

Thanks, I’ll pass that on to him. He wrote it this afternoon to a mate on WhatsApp group. I’ve told him he’s wasted in his day job!

Wanted to share as I know a lot of people still dislike Maradona for 1986 and it might help them understand him a bit better, although I’m sure he’ll still be hated by many!

RIP Maradona on 20:35 - Nov 25 with 1618 viewsMyke

This is a Maradona tribute thread so first and foremost RIP to the great man.
As an aside, the top 5 players I have ever seen play are:
Best
Pele
Cruyff
Maradona
Messi

RIP Maradona on 20:44 - Nov 25 with 1591 viewsBlackCrowe

Traininvain....fab piece, thank you for sharing. Proper context and insight.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

RIP Maradona on 20:46 - Nov 25 with 1587 viewsLeedsR

Agreed. Puts so much into context. The recent film about his time at Napoli was compelling viewing.

RIP Diego. For me, for all the reasons already given above, simply the best of all time.

RIP Maradona on 20:48 - Nov 25 with 1575 viewsMickS

Train- lovely stuff from your brother.

RIP Maradona on 20:52 - Nov 25 with 1564 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've said this before - he used to boast about his "technique" in press interviews, his theory that 40% of penos went down the middle so if you stayed put you'd save 40% of penos.

Except, my man, if you've told the oppo that's where you'll be. As it turned out.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

RIP Maradona on 20:53 - Nov 25 with 1560 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agreed. Lovely writing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

RIP Maradona on 21:00 - Nov 25 with 1544 viewsNov77

"Maradona helped capture and shape all that was good in the Beautiful Game."

how many players get kicked out of World Cups for taking illegal drugs? cheated on the field, and off it by all accounts, prostitutes, mafia links, drugs, he was a basket case personally.

he was a great player, but that's where the praise ends with me.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

RIP Maradona on 21:08 - Nov 25 with 1526 viewsParkRoyalR

Err, I think there's quite a few England players + national icons who tick all of those boxes, as the writer says their Maradona cheating and Butcher cheating, no difference.

RIP Maradona on 21:09 - Nov 25 with 1522 viewsngbqpr

Me too.

Definitely wasted in his day job!

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

RIP Maradona on 21:25 - Nov 25 with 1491 viewsloftboy

Best player of my generation by a mile, probably wouldn’t have had so much flak if A) he admitted after what he had done instead of coming out with the hand of god bollocks and B) had he been any nationality other than an Argie.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

RIP Maradona on 22:22 - Nov 25 with 1420 viewsDannyPaddox

Haven't read all the comments on here. Just want to say he was the man. He was the man! There I said it again. What a football player. What a life. God rest your soul Diego. I hope there’s enough sniff and brasses in heaven for you.

[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 1:32]

RIP Maradona on 23:06 - Nov 25 with 1360 viewstimcocking

What a football player, RIP the little big man.

And what a character. Didn't he shoot at journalists at least once? Definitely something to be proud of.

RIP Maradona on 23:40 - Nov 25 with 1326 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

His agent (who was English) has just been on Newsnight and says that at England’s next game at Wembley he flew over and met the players and apologised to all of them personally.

This story doesn’t sell papers unfortunately.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2020 23:41]

RIP Maradona on 00:14 - Nov 26 with 1289 viewsNov77

Probably because it isn’t true, England players are on the record as saying he never apologised.
It took 22 years before he said he even regretted it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13300725/shilton-diego-maradona-hand-god

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

RIP Maradona on 00:26 - Nov 26 with 1274 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I dunno, take it up with Newsnight and his agent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000prc0

Bear in mind this is the same Sun that said Scousers robbed the dead bodies at Hillsborough, and said we’d get a points deduction over Faurlingate.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 10:57]

RIP Maradona on 00:27 - Nov 26 with 1265 viewstimcocking

Shilton never apologised for it either

So that laves just Adel...

RIP Maradona on 00:53 - Nov 26 with 1242 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Too late I have already seen multiple reports of Maradona's death and that picture of Fenwick hacking him down is the one featured .A tackle like that today would probably be a season long ban and the fact it did not rupture his Achilles or injury him badly a miracle .
The man was an incredible player and a huge part of my childhood so I am sad tonight .
His final chapter after his Glory Days contributed to his early death but still despite his Demons he was one of a kind.
RIP Great One hope its a freshly mowed pitch you are walking on tonight

RIP Maradona on 10:02 - Nov 26 with 1082 viewsKonk

Absolutely - really good piece from your brother, Traininvain.

I find it a bit sad if people remember arguably the greatest ever footballer, foremost as a cheat. Every week you see players cynically taking-out opponents on the break, claiming throws/corners/goal-kicks when they know they've had the last touch, diving/exaggerating contact, nibbling away at opponents, and in some cases, the same players regularly launching into dangerous challenges that could potentially end an opponent's career. It does my head in, but I doubt there are many footballers who don't cheat at some point. At least Maradona didn't go out to break anyone's legs. As painful as his first goal against us remains, you cannot watch that second goal and not be blown away by his genius.

As for judging him on his personal life - no doubt he was a troubled soul who made a lot of sh it decisions, but there are plenty of footballing heroes closer to home who've had problems with drink, gambling, relationships etc. None of us can imagine what it's like to go from nothing, to everyone wanting a piece of you, and you being treated like a living God, whether in Argentina or Naples, so as my Mum always says, don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

RIP Maradona on 10:05 - Nov 26 with 1078 viewsDannyPaddox

Even better, once threatened to shoot Oasis.
https://www.clashmusic.com/news/remembering-the-time-diego-maradona-once-threate
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024