Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Knee booed by horny fans? 00:31 - Dec 31 with 18810 viewsHighjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55493844

This post has been edited by an administrator

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Knee booed by horny fans? on 18:32 - Jan 3 with 1314 viewsSirjohnalot

Whatever the politics of BLM may or may not be. The basis, in this country, at least, is to bring attention to racial inequality. It takes around 10 seconds, that’s it. Small price to pay to campaign against racism.

I struggle to see the argument that the people booing are doing it for reasons other than hatred. It may be political in the US, not so much here.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 19:08 - Jan 3 with 1266 viewsLohengrin

Negrito, Keith. A term of endearment, nothing more.

It’s odds on the ones kicking up this fuss can’t speak a bloody word of Spanish and are completely clueless about Latin idiom.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 19:16 - Jan 3 with 1259 viewsLohengrin

Was the purpose of desecrating the Cenotaph to capture attention, John?

Knee booed by horny fans? on 19:34 - Jan 3 with 1241 viewsGroo

The Space Race wasn't a good example anyway, both the US and USSR advanced with the help of the German scientists they appropriated after the Second World War.

Groo does what Groo does best

Knee booed by horny fans? on 20:18 - Jan 3 with 1198 viewsonehunglow

Let me help you my learned friend.
People see this as BLACK lives matter.They see the BLACK power salute -the one our own Ayew gives.Nothing to do with equality ,more a token of contempt for how BLACK people have felt disadvantaged down the years.

For those not racist or even having any knowledge at all of our colonial past they feel somewhat aggrieved as we are taking about WHITE subjucation of Black and if one is not and has not been guilty of that,then indignation is caused.

Booing this is not really surprising as many ,espaecially working class whites in shyte areas feel disadvantaged themselves but these same white people are decribed as being priviliged.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Knee booed by horny fans? on 20:58 - Jan 3 with 1176 viewsJack123

And that is where they ruined it for me, once they started smashing the statues up.

It went from a protest about a fella who died in the USA to smash the statues up, and tear up our history, with what's going on with the covid, there could never be a worse time, than they chose.. To wind people up.

libera nos a malo

Knee booed by horny fans? on 21:00 - Jan 3 with 1172 viewsSirjohnalot

If I may reply ?

I may have misread your post but when you talk about white working class people in shit areas feeling disadvantaged and you having to help me, it sounds as though you think that, due to my job, I’ve come from a posh area ? I didn’t. I came from Neath, dad a steelworker, didn’t have much money, went to Cefn Saeson Comp, had no one in the law, saw people with connections getting ahead of me, so in a way I was disadvantaged.

However, being white, does bring its advantages, several of my colleagues, barristers and solicitors who are black, have been asked by staff in court (the magistrates where there’s no wigs and gowns) if they were the defendant. I’ve been doing the job for 17 years and have never been asked that.

I for one, don’t blame Ayew for the black power salute, he should be contemptuous of how black people have been treated over the years and continue to be. I still see a high amount of racist offences in court frequently.

I’m not racist, I don’t know much about our colonial past, but I still can understand what happened and how our white ancestors did. Why should we feel indignation just because we were not guilty ? Surely we can empathise with what black people went through,

Hardly any Germans alive today were around in WW2 but they would still be revolted by what happened, conversely, many British people were not born but still boast about the war when it was nothing to do with them.

So yes, of course some white people will feel disadvantaged but due to our skin colour black people from the same area will have another hurdle to jump over.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 21:02 - Jan 3 with 1163 viewsSirjohnalot

No, completely indefensible, and utterly abhorrent. The only thing I can say is that you will get idiots in any organisation.

Do you honestly think that the booing was connected to that especially when you see the video of the people outside the liberty ?
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 21:04]

Knee booed by horny fans? on 21:20 - Jan 3 with 1135 viewsChief

Id argue that the people did that probably aren't actually part of the BLM movement - if they were they'd realise plenty of black people fought for and died for Britain. More like idiots using the fog of demonstrations to act like tvvats.

Like certain right wing groups have misappropriated the Union Jack flag. Should people stop flying it because certain idiots carry out obscene acts in the name of it?

Or just like continuing the knee, not let the people who have hijacked the gesture win&carry on doing it (or flying the union jack flag) in good faith?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Knee booed by horny fans? on 21:47 - Jan 3 with 1114 viewsLohengrin

Honestly? I’ve got no idea who they are or what their motives were but if you’re telling me the reason was less than savoury I’ve got no real cause to doubt you, John.

What I do know is that Legion and regimental association members turned out in numbers across the UK to ensure the clowns didn’t deface any more memorials.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 21:51 - Jan 3 with 1109 viewsChief

And some of them at some locations decided to do NAZI salutes.

As i say idiots will find an excuse to act like idiots and use things as a cover for their acts.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 21:53 - Jan 3 with 1107 viewsLohengrin

No they didn’t. Don’t confuse British Legion pickets with the football hooligan piss-up on Whitehall.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 21:54 - Jan 3 with 1106 viewsChief

Exactly my point mate.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 21:58 - Jan 3 with 1095 viewsLohengrin

Have you seen one of these BLM shindigs that didn’t heavily feature the clenched fist salute?

Knee booed by horny fans? on 22:04 - Jan 3 with 1090 viewsChief

Can't say I've noticed. It is an internationally recognised symbol of solidarity though, so hardly surprising if they do.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 22:06]

Knee booed by horny fans? on 22:10 - Jan 3 with 1085 viewsGlossolalia

The duration of the protest or stand isn't the issue. The stand against racism isn't the issue; it's almost universally supported, and rightly so. A stand or gesture based on something completely apolitical is no price to pay at all, I'd say.

Something so readily adopted with myopic alacrity can just as easily be replaced with something else. Something that gives no scope for political, ideological friction, be it well founded or otherwise. Not to mention that some people from within the black community are calling this repeated knee-taking trite.

It's not so difficult to make a simple, fresh change that gives every sensible, thoughtful person a chance to wholly support a truly apolitical anti-racism message. I'm on your side in this.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 22:12]

Knee booed by horny fans? on 22:25 - Jan 3 with 1065 viewsChief

If our players wish to stop doing it in support of a different gesture, id support them.

If they wish to continue doing the current gesture, I'll continue to support them.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 22:36 - Jan 3 with 1058 viewsGlossolalia

The players will do what they are instructed to do, and any change will not be down their wishes. This wasn't a player-led protest. In essence the players are rudderless in this; vessels for whatever gesture is handed down from above. As such, it's not something that needs vocal support or detraction.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 22:41 - Jan 3 with 1049 viewsChief

Who is 'the above'?

Black players from other clubs - Assombalonga being a prominent example, have decided against doing it any longer. A decision supported by his manager and club.

If Andre Ayew, an experienced, well travelled and prosperous human being wanted to stop doing this I'm pretty sure he would.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 22:51 - Jan 3 with 1033 viewsGlossolalia

The institutions that have decided to adopt this gesture as a symbol of anti-racism.

Well that is welcomed news, but a few players opting out is far less clear-cut than an executive decision, and it still leaves this lingering problem that is clearly and needlessly divisive. In Assombalonga's case, being black probably helps his decision, as no binary-thinking cretin can pull out the racism card. Good on him for thinking for himself. And doesn't this say something?

You raise a point that neither you nor I can actually answer. We can't read the players' minds. But this is a digression from the main point, which is the origin of this particular stance, not whether you or I can accurately postulate the general opinion of the players on this issue.

Chief, answer me this when you can. If the premier league had initiated a new, apolitical, anti-racism message that required a pre-match gesture, do you think Assombalonga and others would have eventually refused? I don't think so.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 23:04]

Knee booed by horny fans? on 23:12 - Jan 3 with 1013 viewsDr_Parnassus

Why are you struggling to see it? It has been explained in great detail.

If you say it’s only a quick thing to bring attention to something non political. Then do a gesture that is seen as non-political.

But hey, why bring common sense into it right?

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Knee booed by horny fans? on 23:13 - Jan 3 with 1009 viewsDr_Parnassus

Sorry didn’t see this.

Word perfect.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Knee booed by horny fans? on 23:33 - Jan 3 with 994 viewsChief

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-new

He cites its impact being diluted for stopping doing it, which would also be applicable to any other gesture too. No political angle is mentioned at all.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 23:39 - Jan 3 with 990 viewslondonlisa2001

In fairness Loh, you are confusing the ‘legions’ of peaceful, respectful marchers for racial equality with a bunch of hooligans. It works both ways.

Knee booed by horny fans? on 23:45 - Jan 3 with 986 viewsGlossolalia

Thanks for the link. I don't suggest that the players' motives would be political. I guess most modern-day footballers don't spend too much time mulling over the political aspects of their actions, if there are any.

But to repeat what I said- the gesture is becoming trite. Your link strengthens that claim.
You've succeeded in proving my point, if I may say. It is being recognised as a shoe-horned gesture, not wholly fit for purpose. I agree with Ferdinand, who calls it nothing more than 'good PR'.

A gesture created by a sporting environment and espoused by those within it, I feel, would be at less risk of being diluted, but even less risk of being conflated or confused. Would Assombalonga feel the same way in this instance? Almost certainly not. Therein lies the inherent weakness of heedlessly borrowing an anti-racism gesture.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 23:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024