Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johansen or Dozzell 09:32 - Nov 4 with 3168 viewsWestbourneR

For me, if we’re going to have two in the middle, and I really think we should, then you need to play a defensive minded player with a ball playing mid.

In my book Dozzell and Johansen are both essentially ball players and we should pick one.

At the moment, I’d be tempted to say Dozzell, which is weird considering how brilliant Stef was for us last year - but his form is truly horrible at the moment.

He’s misplacing passes, stumbling over the ball etc. At one point last night Chair set him up and all he needed to do was take a simple touch and shoot and it was sure goal. He made a total mess of it.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Johansen or Dozzell on 09:49 - Nov 4 with 3053 viewsBklynRanger

I think we should leave it alone for a while and gradually re-introduce Field, letting the three of them, plus Ball, compete for a place.

There was the odd clumsy touch and misplaced pass among quite a few players last night, especially in that first half. Ilias had a great opportunity to slide the ball through to Stef on the edge of the box but fcuked it up, and there were others - Barbet didn't have his left foot properly screwed on for much of the night.

There's been a bit of scepticism around on how injured Stef has been, but either way it does seem clear that, for whatever reason, he's needed to get his touch back and play his way back into form - I think there are signs that's happening and there's a hell of a lot more to come from him. I think we'd get more out of letting that happen than chopping and changing. And Dozzell seems to be benefiting from playing with him.

Edit: And I forgot about Amos so there's a few options at the minute
[Post edited 4 Nov 2021 9:51]

Johansen or Dozzell on 09:50 - Nov 4 with 3051 viewsGeorgeKulscar

I think it's harsh to say Johansen is playing horribly. He might not be quite as good on the ball as he can be at the moment but his pressing last night, especially in the second half, was a big part of why Cardiff were unable to build attacks. I'd still take Stef over Dozzell at the moment if you had to choose.

Given the demands of the championship and Johansen's age (likely inability to play Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday), it's great we can have Dozzell to come in, and play both against weaker opposition who will sit off us.

Johansen or Dozzell on 09:51 - Nov 4 with 3035 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I think Johansen has looked better the last couple of games in terms of fitness. Admittedly his form is a bit erratic but I’d still have him in as I think he offers more pressing and breaking up play than Dozzell. I quite like having both at the moment tbh and we’re unbeaten since we have.

Perhaps having three at the back lessens the need for a defensive midfielder? Then again having two attacking fullbacks probably makes it more important. Who did you have in mind? I’m not sure Ball is that player as he’s been a bit inconsistent for me this season, although he did alright when he came on last night.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Johansen or Dozzell on 09:58 - Nov 4 with 2961 viewsjohnhoop

I don't think we need to decide between them at the moment, as I think playing both is ok, but a difficult decision will probably need to be made about who to leave out when Sam Field gets back to full fitness.

Johansen or Dozzell on 10:28 - Nov 4 with 2767 viewsplasmahoop

You need options, and with the scheduling they will all get plenty of game time

Johansen or Dozzell on 10:30 - Nov 4 with 2757 viewsNorthantsHoop

Both playing well together last 2 games, Dozell is offering a perfect role alongside Johansen, we are looking lot more solid with them in central midfield together. I dont know why some people are getting on Johansen's back he is a quality player and is starting to get back to form again. Field will also offer a good option in the centre when he returns. Like the progress Dozell is making his confidence is growing.

Johansen or Dozzell on 10:30 - Nov 4 with 2746 viewsdaveB

They've looked quite good together last 2 games so i wouldn't be dropping one of them. I'm watching a different player in Stef to others as think he's been fine recently. Not brilliant but certainly not poor.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2021 10:31]

Johansen or Dozzell on 10:44 - Nov 4 with 2673 viewsswisscottage

I think its extremely harsh to judge Johansen on the last month given he's basically been outnumbered in midfield for much of that due to Warburton playing two up front + Chair and Willock.

Its no coincidence that arguably two of his better displays in that period have been when playing as part of as genuine midfield pair.

We are a much better balanced side when we play one up front in front of Willock and chair, with Johansen and one other more defensive minded midfielder alongside him. Teams playing high lines against us like that isn't so much of a problem as Willock and Chair play further forward and themselves have the pace and guile to get in behind.

Warburton's persistence with playing two up front with Chair and Willock having to drop deeper is one of the main reasons for our(and Johansen's) drop off in form in October.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2021 10:45]

Johansen or Dozzell on 10:45 - Nov 4 with 2661 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Johanson, despite a frustrating game last night. Disagree his form is truly horrible.

Let’s not get sucked in by the skysportification of that incredible pass from Dozzell.

Johansen or Dozzell on 11:08 - Nov 4 with 2587 viewsdmm

Suddenly, we are rather spoilt for choice in CM. Johansen, Dozzell, Amos, Ball, Field and potentially Owens though I doubt he'll get a look in.

There can be no doubting Johansen's influence in a game, even when he's not playing particularly well. However, he's got much greater competition now and will surely want to up his game to last season's levels.

Dozzell's development has become apparent over recent games but I feel he still has quite a way to go before he's consistently imposing himself on games.

Warburton is able to be very careful with Amos' reintroduction which is a good thing given the seriousness of his injury. I'm still holding out hope he can become the player we've seen in flashes.

Field will take time to get back up to speed but could be an important part of the answer to our defensive issues.

Ball looks to be well down the pecking order now, but will still have a role in shoring up games late on and as an auxiliary CB when needed.

Johansen or Dozzell on 12:21 - Nov 4 with 2387 viewsTacticalR

Dozell is improving, and his pass last night got us a goal. However, he does still seem to disappear from the game every now and then, whereas players like Johansen, Willock and Chair always strive to make themselves available for a pass.

Air hostess clique

Johansen or Dozzell on 13:12 - Nov 4 with 2213 viewsdenhamhoop2

Personally I'd play both and go with 1 up front the old Xmas tree formation with Chair in the Teddy Sheringham role

Johansen or Dozzell on 13:14 - Nov 4 with 2202 viewsnix

It's brilliant that we're going to have more choice in midfield now. When we bring someone on, it'll be a proper choice rather than makeshift. I think Stef looks better further forward, and he could play the Chair role when he's not available, with Dozzell and Field/Amos in defensive mid.

I agree that Stef has been asked to do impossible jobs sometimes, the Fulham match in particular.

We should be a bit less predictable as well, because Field has a bit more pace, so could cover for our defenders if they decided to press forward, as Dickie was earlier in the season.

The great thing is that we hopefully won't have to flog our players to death once everyone is back and match fit.

Johansen or Dozzell on 13:32 - Nov 4 with 2149 viewsbosh67

When Amos and Field are both fully up to speed we will have some great options around central midfield. Dozzell is impressing me. There is a potential Faurlin type player there.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Johansen or Dozzell on 13:37 - Nov 4 with 2140 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This.

We relied on a 37 year old Cameron and one of either Ball or Carroll for most of last year and it showed in his legs a lot of the time.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2021 13:43]

Johansen or Dozzell on 13:55 - Nov 4 with 2074 viewsderbyhoop

1 comment from last night was that Dozzell missed part of the pre-season. As Sinton said, the work put in pre-season, sets players up for the rest of the season. But missing it means that it takes a while to get up to speed.

Johansen, to me, seems a little off the pace. Consequently, he seems to be blowing on fumes towards the end. See the yellow card vs Forest.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Johansen or Dozzell on 11:22 - Nov 5 with 1624 viewsfrancisbowles

He may also have missed some of pre season with that hush hush 'injury he has been carrying.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024