Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whisper it quietly but... 12:25 - Feb 1 with 12054 viewsBluce_Ree

Brentford are just four points ahead of Everton who are bottom three (albeit with a game in hand). In fact, without the Everton points deduction it just be three ahead of Luton who are arguably in better form than Brentford.

I don't think they'll go down but it's definitely a possibility. Toney might be the difference there if he can keep out of trouble.

I think I'd be happy enough with Everton taking that last relegation place (Burnley and Sheff Utd are toast) but Brentford would be pretty good too. Apart from the fact that they'll bum us in the gob twice if they come down and we somehow stay up.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Whisper it quietly but... on 13:43 - Feb 6 with 2204 viewsPunteR

I guess it depends on your definition of plastic fans. My Reading reference was because there were loads of fans that were Chelsea, Utd, Spurs who suddenly became Reading fans because they were from Berkshire. I live in Bracknell so I was surrounded by it. I've seen it now with Brentford ,some of my mates from Richmond where I grew up who are Chelsea ,Utd Spurs fans are now Brentford or at least go to the games supporting Brentford. I never saw that with us when we was in the Prem. Sure, we had the Koreans due to Ji Song Park but all the extra fans that turned up were old skool QPR as far as I could tell. Our big day out at Wembley where 40,000 Rs turned up was a good indication of numbers. Just seem to me it was old faces turning up rather than some teenage Man U fans etc on a day out.
It's not surprising really as Brentford have always been mainly L1,L2 for most of my life so the fan base will be small. I guess the longer you're in the Prem the more new proper fans you will pick up.
I don't really have an issue with your club, it's just annoying we've been so poorly managed over the decades that you've leapfrogged us. Same with Luton. Can't stand that lot though.. Your mate NewBee and his smugness can get in the bin though...lol.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Whisper it quietly but... on 14:12 - Feb 6 with 2109 viewsstowmarketrange

Some years in the early premier league era we only had 10k against Man Utd too.Crowds were very poor across the country in those darks days of the mid 80’s to about 1994.
I just checked and it was May 1989 that we had 10k against Man Utd and we beat them 3-2.
[Post edited 6 Feb 14:19]

Whisper it quietly but... on 15:27 - Feb 6 with 2001 viewsJimthehip

In fairness where I was sitting at Wembley that day there did seem to be a lot of tourist supporters.

We don't have anywhere near 40k fans that would go and watch QPR regularly and it would take a huge turnaround in the clubs fortune to ever get anywhere near that level of support. That 40k we had at Wembley would have had loads of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and general tourist fans. I do think we have to be really careful not to delude ourselves here.

Attendances this season have been phenomenal though and we have matched Brentford in numbers (maybe our average is higher?) and when you really look how bad QPR have been for years now and how well Brenford have done that is one hell of an achievement.

The reality is Brentford, Fulham and Chelsea are doing a lot better than us and have been for a long time. We need to live in the real world.
[Post edited 6 Feb 15:29]

Whisper it quietly but... on 17:19 - Feb 6 with 1869 viewsBexleyHoop

Quite a few were slashed and others attacked with pool balls in socks etc. Plenty of theirs were injured as well.

Remember a good friend of mine who was a hairdresser from Ladbroke Grove, who came straight from work had a few pairs of scissors scrounged off him to ensure appropriate payback was given to the Lootown boys who had attacked our own.

Since then our meetings with them have been nasty.

Forgot to mention Oxford Utd get a mention as well, as it was normally lively at theirs. At home the old chants of " you'll never make the Westway" used to ring out towards the end of our games with them.

The good / bad old days delete as appropriate*

Whisper it quietly but... on 17:40 - Feb 6 with 1826 viewsPunteR

Fair enough if that was your perspective at Wembley. I didn't get that impression, but obviously i wouldn't know everyone there. Of course ,there would be some with allegiances to other clubs.
I'm not deluded and yeh of course we don't have 40k regulars that would turn up every week. I'm just saying our core group of real fans is miles bigger than Brentford's. So is our history. Sadly though, Brentford, Fulham, Palace, Chelsea have been doing miles better than us and that's a fact.
Like i say, we've been poorly managed for decades, and we really have fallen behind but our fan base is there, and like you say, attendances have been phenomenal this season considering what we've had to endure in recent times.
Its a bit surreal and uncomfortable watching Brentford these days tbh. I drive past their weird looking stadium and think fair play, but also , how have they managed that? ( rhetorical question, sit down NewBee). I grew up around the area and don't hate them at all. Two close family friends are die hard Bees, ive been to games with them. One of them is nearly 90 and im pleased for him that he's got to see the club in the PL, before he checks out, and even he cant believe how far they've come.
But yeh , if Brentford got relegated that wouldn't bother me in the slightest either.

Whisper it quietly but... on 17:47 - Feb 6 with 1794 viewsflynnbo

Was that the Andy Gray brace night ?

Whisper it quietly but... on 18:04 - Feb 6 with 1751 viewsJuzzie

Yup!

There weren't any tube strikes or anything else that may have contributed to the low turnout.

It could be that people just didn't want to go to football, regardless of the opposition (Man U were big, just not as big as they are now).

Whisper it quietly but... on 18:49 - Feb 6 with 1676 viewsSK_hoops

In league 1 they were getting average attendances of 5-6000.

Whisper it quietly but... on 19:07 - Feb 6 with 1646 viewsBostonR

Erm. There certainly wasn’t any tourists at Wembley in 1982 and 1986. At the Milk cup final it’s well acknowledged that R’s had over 60,000 at Wembley. At the play-off final in Cardiff I didn’t come across any tourists and we had circa 35,000 at that game. I was also at Wembley for the play-off and again I didn’t see any anyone faking to be an R’s fan.
Worth remembering that on our famous charge back in 1975/76 Loftus Rd was sold out and rammed. On the last few home games the stadium had way more than its 35,000 capacity.
My point is that we do have a very large support when they can be bothered to come out.

Whisper it quietly but... on 19:44 - Feb 6 with 1589 viewsswitchingcode

In league 2 we had crowds as low as 3500 I know I was one of them.Luckily they don’t hand out trophy’s to who have the biggest crowds.Think you have to accept you are what you are and not what you think you are.Teams like Leeds and Forrest always have their fans bragging about how big their fan base and club are it just makes it sweeter when you beat them something that we have done regularly over the last 10 years.

Whisper it quietly but... on 19:48 - Feb 6 with 1593 viewsMrSheen

It had also been postponed from a Saturday to a midweek night right at the end of the season by Covid, it was a meaningless mid table game by then

Whisper it quietly but... on 21:12 - Feb 6 with 1511 viewsstowmarketrange

Yes it was.

Whisper it quietly but... on 21:21 - Feb 6 with 1486 viewsstowmarketrange

It was a Monday night in May 1989 for some reason.We didn’t play on the previous Saturday either.

Whisper it quietly but... on 21:46 - Feb 6 with 1435 viewsPunteR

Sorry wasn't trying to come across bragging about the size of our fan base , that would be slightly ridiculous given our average gate attendances. I was really just making a comment about our plastic fans ratio to your plastic fans.

Whisper it quietly but... on 22:06 - Feb 6 with 1368 viewsSK_hoops

Yeah, you have to love beating those teams, especially Leeds. Just a comment about how much of your fanbase has been amassed in the last 10 years or so.

Whisper it quietly but... on 22:15 - Feb 6 with 1340 viewsswitchingcode

No I wasn’t digging you out on the contrary you are getting impressive gates this season considering your poor results.

Whisper it quietly but... on 22:28 - Feb 6 with 1325 viewsconnell10

Oh double edged compliment

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Whisper it quietly but... on 08:56 - Feb 7 with 1141 viewsswitchingcode

Not at all when you are on a poor run of results it’s when real fans get behind the team and turn up.Your home game v Millwall attendance was within a few hundred of ours v Forrest a few weeks ago.

Whisper it quietly but... on 09:05 - Feb 7 with 1137 viewsMrSheen

Sorry Hillsborough, not Covid, not sure where that came from. I think the whole season was put on hold for a couple of weeks and obviously Liverpool’s (and Forest’s) for longer. The end of the season was a real jumble of kick-off times.

However, I think we played United on a Saturday a season or two before in front of fewer than 16,000. It was only the arrival of Ince,Webb, Sharpe etc in the golden Michael Knighton era that awoke the Home Counties red hordes.

Whisper it quietly but... on 09:20 - Feb 7 with 1115 viewsknocker

Their next 6 fixtures are really tough. Let's hope so.

Whisper it quietly but... on 09:33 - Feb 7 with 1076 viewsLazyFan

I was there. I gave stick to the London Manure fans the next day as they all told me it was an obvious win for them. Gray tormented them that night regardless of the goals.

When I was at Wembley for the play off final, I could only see QPR fans around me (we sold 45K yes?), no plastics and everyone went mental when Zameroraaaaa scored. I even remember saying in my head when Toliet beat his man "this is it, we shall score", I should have shouted that out as I would have looked well clever ... but then who cares about being clever when we scored :)

A few years later some Southampton fan said to me "I have seen my team win at Wembley", some lower league cup, I believe. I then replied, "so, have I and?".

So, that is one thing as QPR fans we can say.

zzzzzzzzzz

Whisper it quietly but... on 10:59 - Feb 7 with 989 viewsswitchingcode

Then another 10 so don’t get too excited 😉

Whisper it quietly but... on 13:57 - Feb 7 with 862 viewsStanFan

My impression on the 40k at Wembley was that they were mostly real fans but included many who don't go every week, many who hadn't been for a while and some guests (I took 2!).
Apart from the match itself, my abiding memory was the guy next to me who'd bumped into Stan walking down from Wembley Park station and had a selfie with the great man. I think that was a bigger thrill for him than Zamora's winner.

Whisper it quietly but... on 13:59 - Feb 7 with 853 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’ve always thought we’d have more fans go if our stadium could accommodate adult human legs.

Whisper it quietly but... on 14:04 - Feb 7 with 829 viewsTheChef

I reckon there was a lot of extended family, partners, kids etc. who don't go to LR much if at all, but were up for a big day out at Wembley.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024