Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football Governance Bill 22:48 - Mar 18 with 5453 viewsQPRConor2000

This is very significant news, Legislation to establish the new independent regulator for English Football to begin its passage through Parliament tomorrow.

Would mean a licencing system for clubs from the Premier League down to the National League, strengtened owners and directors tests as well as the power to intervene to impose a settlement on the PL.

Worth keeping an eye on this over the coming weeks.

Football Governance Bill on 05:21 - Mar 19 with 2680 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Will the person be called the Offootball regulator?

Because I'm sure that's how many of us older dogs feel about it all.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Football Governance Bill on 06:03 - Mar 19 with 2623 viewsBoston

Woof

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Football Governance Bill on 06:14 - Mar 19 with 2625 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well said...

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Football Governance Bill on 07:23 - Mar 19 with 2528 viewsPaddyhoops

Forest fan moaning on the radio that it’s not a fair system in the premier leauge.
Don’t think they were moaning about it in the championship.

Football Governance Bill on 07:40 - Mar 19 with 2487 viewsdmm

On the face of it, a welcome piece of legislation. But, to coin a phrase, the devil will be in the detail.

Will it be effective in restricting the interests of the wealthy and will it introduce a statutory requirement for fan involvement in club governance? I hope so but I won't be holding my breath.

Football Governance Bill on 08:09 - Mar 19 with 2409 viewsstevec

What’s shameful is that these incredibly powerful and wealthy clubs in the top league flatly refuse to come up with a fair solution for the rest of the leagues.

Can’t say I trust this government or any future government to get it right, but what an indictment of a nation that seems to need the state to hold its hand on virtually every function. No wonder this island has turned to shit.

Football Governance Bill on 09:10 - Mar 19 with 2320 viewsNorthernr

Hmmm, starting to sound a bit like Ofcom i.e. if you break the rules you can expect a very strongly worded letter and little else.

Football Governance Bill on 09:18 - Mar 19 with 2263 viewsstevec

Just seen some Tory MP discussing this, Lucy Fraser, talking in riddles, sounding totally out of her depth, where do they find these people?

Only thing I gleaned from her interview is the Premier League is in safe hands and the rest of us are fcked.

Football Governance Bill on 09:19 - Mar 19 with 2269 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I just can't see this Bill having much power to change football for the better.

The two main political parties in Britain are, to my mind, non-interventionist free-marketeers, football is run by free-market owners. I can't see the two parties taking on the free-market owners and insisting upon, let alone legislating upon the kind of intervention that football needs with strict penal clauses attached for violation.

It goes against type. It's not in their blood.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Football Governance Bill on 09:29 - Mar 19 with 2225 viewsLblock

My feeling is that this huge moment for football that will be enshrined by law will basically have the square root of fcuk all difference on the state of the game.
In fact it'll probably make things worse.

It's no different to tax rules.
As soon as a new regulation comes out the self same people who drafted the "law" jump over to the private sector as Consultants and set about ways around that law.

I cannot see the new UK Labour Goverment wanting to go into bat with Man City in two years time and demoting them to League Two.
However.... should a club like Lootown step out of line again then maybe, just maybe, you may see the sanctioning of 31 point deductions like they carried years ago.

Nothing to see here.........

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Football Governance Bill on 09:36 - Mar 19 with 2208 viewsPlanetHonneywood

As a separate aside, aren't their certain rules under UEFA and/or FIFA banning governments from interfering with how football is - and let's be honest, is not - run?

Somewhere in the deep and dark recesses of my mind, I seem to recall some African country running foul of this.

Football Governance Bill on 09:41 - Mar 19 with 2180 viewsNorthernr

I had exactly the same thought.

Football Governance Bill on 09:41 - Mar 19 with 2175 viewsTheChef

Indeed.

Football virtue signalling.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Football Governance Bill on 09:50 - Mar 19 with 2156 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Perhaps someone should tell them?

Sincerely not wanting to point the thread in a diversionary direction, but given the monumental balls-up they've made of running the country, maybe we should, for the sheer comedy value of it, let the Tories go into battle with their equally repugnant counterparts at FIFA.

It's just such a delicious thing to contemplate. I'm already ensuring my Netflix subscription is up to date for the inevitable 8-parter on the matter.

Football Governance Bill on 10:24 - Mar 19 with 2082 viewsdmm

Good thought but we can be sure, should that happen, it would only end up with QPR being fined mega bucks.

Football Governance Bill on 10:28 - Mar 19 with 2078 viewsNorthernr

https://www.voanews.com/a/fifa-suspends-zimbabwe-kenya-for-government-interferen

Football Governance Bill on 10:30 - Mar 19 with 2068 viewshantssi

I’m sure it was Sullivan at West Ham saying something like the Prem clubs are in £2B debt so they don’t have any “spare” money to give away!!

Football Governance Bill on 10:32 - Mar 19 with 2047 viewsNorthernr

Another club and owner whose recent consolidated spell in the Premier League has completely wiped the memory of where they were just before that.

Football Governance Bill on 10:49 - Mar 19 with 1988 viewsCateLeBonR

My first thoughts when reading this went to the governments non-involvement in the Newcastle United takeover.

https://theathletic.com/4375454/2023/04/06/saudi-newcastle-boris-government/

Football Governance Bill on 11:38 - Mar 19 with 1875 viewsTheChef

Oh yeah - Moyes has to go, results just aren't good enough.

Potential Curbishley syndrome there...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Football Governance Bill on 13:13 - Mar 19 with 1715 viewsDavieQPR

Part of the trouble is the Government will appoint one of their cronies. More than likely middle aged female, from a small town, who knows absolutely nothing about football but once played hockey for East Lancing schoolgirls.

Football Governance Bill on 13:40 - Mar 19 with 1671 viewsR_from_afar

"...what an indictment of a nation that seems to need the state to hold its hand on virtually every function".

I don't think this nation is the problem, rather, it's all down to how private companies act. Very few of them ever act in a genuinely altruistic way.

As an example, as an employee at several companies, I have experienced discussions about sustainability strategies in which much of the focus was on the sustainability of the company itself. I think that's utterly wrong, sustainability initiatives are supposed to directly help the environment and the less fortunate.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Football Governance Bill on 13:40 - Mar 19 with 1671 viewshantssi

Saw them play once, against St Trinians, great game!

Football Governance Bill on 14:04 - Mar 19 with 1627 viewsSheffieldHoop

Isn't suicide technically the most sustainable decision any human, or corporation, can make? Time to self-immolate for the environment, guys.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Football Governance Bill on 14:46 - Mar 19 with 1547 viewsdmm

Okay then, after you...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024