Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Cook 17:38 - Apr 1 with 6024 viewsNed_Kennedys

Got to say he has been our best signing for ages: a real leader, loads of experience and a great defender. Fan feedback from his previous clubs was unanimously positive and he’s been colossal in our relegation fight. By far our player of the season IMO.
Fantastic bit of business by the club and thank goodness we have him for a second year.

Steve Cook on 17:39 - Apr 1 with 3722 viewsMalintabuk

Can't really add anything to that... only next season should be captain..... class act in every way

Steve Cook on 17:40 - Apr 1 with 3693 viewsbosh67

I said on another post the biggest impact since Richard Dunne. Massive for us. Got a good few seasons in him yet.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Steve Cook on 17:41 - Apr 1 with 3675 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agree. CBs at this level can go on a bit (see Hill, Clint) so if he can stay fit we could easily get another three seasons out of him with the right partner (if JCS plays all of next season and completes his Barbet-transformation, he could be worth a few bob in a year’s time).

Bare bones.

Steve Cook on 17:41 - Apr 1 with 3666 viewstraininvain

Cook’s been brilliant and must be nailed on for captain next season. The centre back partnership between him and JCS is making us a very difficult team to beat.

Steve Cook on 17:43 - Apr 1 with 3620 viewsGaryBannister86

Yes - I am rarely even close to being right about anything but I did think quite a few months ago that our best chance of staying up would be for Cook to play as many games as possible. If only Warbs had been successful in getting him a few years ago - but I will take it now. And full credit to JCS too, his turnaround has been great.

And fair play to Begovic to make a couple of important saves.

Steve Cook on 17:58 - Apr 1 with 3427 viewsQPRcounsellor

He gave a brilliant and inspired interview after a game this season and one fan on here criticised him for being too negative!

One of the best signings in years.

Steve Cook on 17:59 - Apr 1 with 3393 viewsToast_R

Does make you think what could have been had we signed him in January 2022.

Steve Cook on 18:01 - Apr 1 with 3351 viewsPunteR

Do we have to give credit to Ainsworth on this signing ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Steve Cook on 18:05 - Apr 1 with 3272 viewsdaveB

yeah he deserves stick for a lot of what he did but that was a great signing

Steve Cook on 18:07 - Apr 1 with 3224 viewsaston_hoop

No, its not the first time we tried to sign him. Warbs did too. Always been on our radar as a centre back who offers experience but can play with the ball at his feet.

What always gets me is his game intelligence. He reads the game so well, something in his position that can be so much more important than pace or other things. He knows where to go, he knows where to play the ball. He knows where to position the other defenders. Future manager at some level in my opinion. But for now, needs to be our captain next season and is defintely in the POTY conversation

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Steve Cook on 18:07 - Apr 1 with 3227 viewscpgerber

If I recall, his signing was criticised by some on this forum at the time because "it's not what the club should be doing".

But I thought it was exactly what was needed, a seasoned pro who's been around for a while and who gets on with the job. Someone who would put in a shift. Shudder to think what could have been if we went for a Sean Goss type academy kid instead.

Its all about getting the balance right. Agreed, we can't just do signing like this, but these are needed and then pick the rough diamonds to learn and grow around the seasoned core.

Steve Cook on 18:08 - Apr 1 with 3191 viewsbaz_qpr

Though to be fair we had been trying to sign him for the last 4 years.

Having said that Begovic apart we've had two good transfer windows and the last one especially has made a huge difference.

I dont think their is a better CB pairing than Cook and JCS at this level

Steve Cook on 18:08 - Apr 1 with 3191 viewsPunteR

Yeh, tbf all his signings have been decent. Shame Ainsworth didn't know how to use them.

Steve Cook on 18:11 - Apr 1 with 3143 viewsPaddyhoops

Take Cook out of this team and we would be pretty much down .
A monster of a man and leader. Superb again today.
Cookie Monster.

Steve Cook on 18:11 - Apr 1 with 3128 viewspaulparker

Absolutely

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Steve Cook on 18:12 - Apr 1 with 3124 viewsMalintabuk

Also for me, though to perhaps a lesser degree, both Colback and Fox were good signings.... all under GA watch. Makes you wonder then why if he had a hand in the signings, he was such a poor manager?
I honestly feel , that apart from his tactics, there was a lot of lack of respect for him due to his look. It shouldn't have mattered but I feel it did

Steve Cook on 18:16 - Apr 1 with 3073 viewsPunteR

It wasnt his dated look.
It was his dated coaching. (Sorry PP)

Steve Cook on 18:29 - Apr 1 with 2978 viewsted_hendrix

He's a big unit, a goal scoring unit.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Steve Cook on 18:32 - Apr 1 with 2941 viewsmart_Goblin

Completely agree with the OP. He has been immense . JCS too but I think Cook has helped JCS and Dunne more recently so much .

Steve Cook on 18:42 - Apr 1 with 2869 viewsdmm

Nice post match interview with the man

Steve Cook on 18:45 - Apr 1 with 2834 viewsrobith

Will never forgive Furlong for keeping that bicycle kick out

Steve Cook on 18:55 - Apr 1 with 2765 views1JD

Was already on the clubs radar long term and nearly joined under Warbs. Very much a club signing by the sound of it.

Steve Cook on 19:05 - Apr 1 with 2666 views1JD

If there was a lack of respect it’s on him. Good leaders earn respect and poor ones lose it, quickly. You don’t have to look far to understand why he might have not have had everyone pulling in the same direction.

For example, explaining how the championship was “scary”, how everything was “tough”, his relentless underdog nonsense (= literally telling the team they are second best), and inferior undertone crap in virtually every interview. That’s no way to build the very culture he claimed he was great at. Ironically, he did the opposite!

Viva Cifuentes.

Steve Cook on 19:22 - Apr 1 with 2506 viewsrichpr

Managed to get in your Begovic dig - well done . Was excellent today IMO

Steve Cook on 19:44 - Apr 1 with 2336 viewsNorthantsHoop

Stevie Cook has been great all season and Clarke- Salter has been superb since pairing with him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024