Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal 08:47 - Mar 11 with 2018 viewsxistens_pet

We know it was a goal as does everyone. No one can argue that and no one will. I've seen many a ghost goal where the ball has struck the woodwork and physics has conspired with geometry to make the ball spin the opposite way and thus makes the ball bounce illogically when it hits the ground. However yesterday you couldn't get a more meat and potatoes example of what a linesman should be able to see regardless of whether that Toby Jones looking douchebag had two players in the way of the line or not.

Clint Hill heads --> Ball crosses line --> Ball strikes Bogdan's arm and heads back out and UP towards the crossbar at a 45degree angle --> Ball hits crossbar and bounces out and DOWN at a 45degree angle.

To end on a high note; at least this phenomena is out of the way now. Unless the team get radiation poisoning I don't think we could be any unluckier in a season... and obviously not very good.

Does anyone recall an unluckier set of events to hit a team in recent times?

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 08:52 - Mar 11 with 2004 viewssexton

He might have had his mind on other things

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 08:52 - Mar 11 with 2003 viewsBazWoT

Sky gave it and were showing us 1 up until they realised that Pob Bollock was on the line. Just watched MOTD, how he cannot see that is beyond me, there was nobody in his way, regardless of what he says.

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 08:58 - Mar 11 with 1994 viewsxistens_pet

Just saw the clip of him shaking his head when asked if he saw it. Rather than the "two players in the way" explanation you can see him mouthing, I would have preferred the honest version where he mouths "Dunno", sniffs, scratches himself with his flag, and pulls out a McVities cake bar to enjoy with his erection.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 09:09 - Mar 11 with 1979 viewsreal_loftus

Lulz

ATAF.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 09:30 - Mar 11 with 1949 viewsJonDoeman

"Basic Geometry"
================
Exactly basic, it wasn't a difficult one to give. I'm sure he'll carry merrily on as Prem lino though.

It Is What It Is !!

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 09:55 - Mar 11 with 1937 viewsElHoop

I loved Neville's comment on Sky - "How to get a job in the Championship". Classic.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 10:17 - Mar 11 with 1908 viewsTGRRRSSS

For all the talk of ghoal line technology I'd say that this has helped mask a truly incompetent piece of work by officials including our own later goal, and failure to twwice award a penalty to ourselves late on.
Going back to the original Hill goal, the guy simply must have been dolly day dreaming and his argument 2 people were in the way doesn't hold water to me, at best there is only one person (Bogdan) and surely he can see from the position of his body he is behind the line.
My view is this is truly unacceptable behaviour from Pollock, both initially when he failed to pay attention then (and worse in many ways) he's lied to cover it up.
He should not be demoted to Championship he should be sent back to school in effect to learn more about the duties as an linesman he is meant to be paying attention to the requirements of this role, before he's let loose on another football game again.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 12:56 - Mar 11 with 1857 viewskarlski

There is no question about two people being in the way because it simply isn't true. the linesman is meant to stand ever so slightly over the goal-line precisely for this reason. the only real excuse he could have is the speed of the incident but that is exactly the kind of thing he is meant to spot. It's like a racing car driver crashing and saying oh well i crashed because the car accelerates very fast you know - yes then you shouldn't be racing driver should you.

i've always wondered though when the lino is on the opposite side of the corner why the rules don't allow him to come in along the goal line, maybe even all the way up to six yard box, or at any rate half way between there and the touchline, like they do for penalties.That way goal line incidents, which in order of priority are surely the most important, would have a better chance of being spotted correctly, and he can also assist more with fouls and who gets the last touch if the ball goes out of play. if the ball is cleared he can run diagonally across, cutting the corner, back to his touchline. That can't interfere with play too much.

Anyway of course goal line tech should be brought in, but this little change would help until that...

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 17:52 - Mar 11 with 1806 viewsJuzzie

If linos are worried about players being in the way, what is the point of having them watching the corner kick? There are plenty more than 2 players 'in the way' for most corners.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 17:57 - Mar 11 with 1795 viewssexton

Agreed. They might as well go and have a cup of tea.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 22:04 - Mar 11 with 1716 viewsxistens_pet

Jamie Redknapp before the Norwich vs Wigan game was analysing the ghost goal and defending the lino. "He had a white net in the way and Bolton wear white shirts so it was difficult" They did the computer generation and looked at it from the linesman's view. He could see more than half of the ball behind Bogdan's arm when it was over the line. Redknapp was still defending him.

Defending him for being unable to do his job.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 08:35 - Mar 12 with 1650 viewsHantsR

Surely in the instance of a ghost goal we need 'ghoul-line' technology?

Coat etc.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 09:09 - Mar 12 with 1619 viewsCanadaRanger

That's the spirit!

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 09:38 - Mar 12 with 1602 viewsNorthernr

Redknapp doesn't like us because we were nasty to dear cousin frank.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 09:41 - Mar 12 with 1599 viewsClive_Anderson

This explains why he was crap for Spurs.

Basic Geometry and the Ghost Goal on 09:47 - Mar 12 with 1590 viewsTheBlob

"Geometry" is no longer a PC term,it's "Shapes 'n Sizes".

When will you people learn?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024