Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BST Column 13:33 - Apr 19 with 395 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Today’s column, as trailed last week, was scheduled to address issues of the matchday experience, the role of a supporter liaison officer and the importance of structured engagement between club and supporters as steps to reinforce our club’s DNA and move Blackpool FC forward into a new era as a well-supported, financially sustainable and successful community football club.

However, that is being set aside for a week in favour of addressing other, more immediate issues as explained below.

There has been a lot of debate since the fans’ forum, on social media, on the concourses at Bloomfield Road, about season ticket pricing policy for the 2019/20 season; setting prices low in the hope of encouraging the widest uptake versus setting them high to ensure a stronger revenue stream from core fans — and, of course, various options inbetween.

Rumours are circulating that Owen Oyston is still trying to secure the loan which would allow him to pay off Valeri Belokon, circumvent the receivership and retain his controlling interest in Blackpool FC; furthermore that he might even attend the Easter Monday game against Fleetwood Town.

Understandably, fans are asking is it OK to buy season tickets now if there is a risk that Oyston might find a way back into the club? Wouldn’t it be better to wait until the arrival of new owners puts that spectre to rest once and for all?

The BST committee has been reviewing the situation, recognising some fans may be looking to the Trust for advice, information or a lead on the matter.

This, then, is BST’s assessment of the predicament.

It should come as no surprise that the football club was in a precarious financial situation in the wake of the Oystons’ departure, following years of misrule.

Nearly everything was broken, particularly links to the fanbase and the business community.

There is much to be done with limited resources and it is generally agreed that the interim board of Blackpool FC has worked extremely hard to steady the ship and provide a realistic financial forecast for the club until such time as a new owner arrives.

As a result, the EFL last week chose not to trigger a 12-point deduction, because they were satisfied the club is currently financially viable.

However, if the financial status should change, the sting in the tail is the EFL may revisit that decision.

Forecasts regarding strong season ticket sales formed a large part of the interim board’s financial planning and the fact is Blackpool FC needs to sell as many season tickets as possible in the close season for those financial projections to remain on track and for the revenue to be there to fund essential work on the pitch, the stadium and the team.

Clearly there are two inter-related and conflicting risks: that Oyston might succeed in regaining control of the club and Blackpool FC may struggle to remain financially viable.

BST cannot categorically state that the former won’t happen. It is something we were warned about when the Court Appointed Receiver first arrived.

However, we believe the risk is low — given Oyston’s inability over the last 18 months to negotiate and secure the loans to pay off Belokon.

By far the greater worry is that fans’ concern over Oyston coming back may lead to them playing a wait-and-see game resulting in poor season ticket sales.

If those sales don’t materialise, the far greater risk is that there could be very serious consequences for the club’s viability and the EFL might choose to revisit last week’s decision.

In order to try and further minimise the chances of Oyston ever holding a position of power at Blackpool FC, and to help fans feel a bit more confident that he will not be able to return, BST has this week written to the CEO of the EFL advising him of the independent legal advice we were given by a QC regarding the EFL’s interpretation of their Owners and Directors Test (ODT).

That QC, versed in sports litigation, was provided by BST with information relating to the EFL’s ODT, the EFL’s interpretation of its own rules, its refusal to apply the test retrospectively, the EFL’s transcript of its meeting with Blackpool fans and various communications between the Trust and the EFL concerning the matter.

The QC agrees with BST that the EFL has not applied its own rules correctly, that the ODT is in fact applicable retrospectively and that Owen Oyston should be deemed not fit and proper to own Blackpool FC. The full QC report will be on the BST website shortly.

BST is seeking to emphasise to the EFL that if there is anything which poses a threat to the long-term financial viability of one of their member clubs, it is the unwelcome prospect of the return of the Oyston family.

Fans have a decision to make with regard to the purchase of season tickets. It is up to each individual to assess the risk to the club versus the risk of Owen returning but the collective view of the BST committee is that our club needs our backing and we will all be purchasing season tickets at the earliest opportunity,

All of these issues and more will be up for discussion at BST’s next general meeting on Easter Monday, starting at 12.30pm at the Bloomfield Social Club on Bloomfield Road.

Blackpool FC non-executive director Tim Fielding will address the meeting and answer questions. As with all BST general meetings, this one is open to the public. We hope to see as many Blackpool fans there as possible.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/bst-column-season

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

BST Column on 14:14 - Apr 19 with 392 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

FAO ROTTS

"In order to try and further minimise the chances of Oyston ever holding a position of power at Blackpool FC, and to help fans feel a bit more confident that he will not be able to return, BST has this week written to the CEO of the EFL advising him of the independent legal advice we were given by a QC regarding the EFL’s interpretation of their Owners and Directors Test (ODT).

That QC, versed in sports litigation, was provided by BST with information relating to the EFL’s ODT, the EFL’s interpretation of its own rules, its refusal to apply the test retrospectively, the EFL’s transcript of its meeting with Blackpool fans and various communications between the Trust and the EFL concerning the matter.

The QC agrees with BST that the EFL has not applied its own rules correctly, that the ODT is in fact applicable retrospectively and that Owen Oyston should be deemed not fit and proper to own Blackpool FC. The full QC report will be on the BST website shortly. "

If I recall correctly, this was your idea.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

BST Column on 19:37 - Apr 19 with 383 viewsspell_chekker

All hail Rot

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

BST Column on 21:43 - Apr 19 with 376 viewsjanegallagher

We’re not worthy

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BST Column on 21:55 - Apr 19 with 369 viewsLala

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

BST Column on 07:03 - Apr 20 with 363 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I'd love to know where all these rumours started about OO and the loan/turning up at the Fleetwood game/appointed UN goodwill ambassador/etc..... started.

Think while a few might be genuinely worried, I think most are going to/using it as an excuse to not watch the team.

BST Column on 07:29 - Apr 20 with 356 viewsLala

I think some have just gone a bit daft Red and will struggle to put this whole sorry episode behind them. I think they have a need to keep some kind of drama alive.

BST Column on 07:38 - Apr 20 with 355 viewsjanegallagher

Definitely LaLa, some don’t know what to do with themselves now there’s no drama. Guy at work has suddenly found excuses not to attend since Southend game.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BST Column on 08:03 - Apr 20 with 351 viewsROTTWEILERS

Cheers guys.

Apparently it is not okay to invest in a ST yet due to the fear OO may return - but it's okay to stick upwards of a grand into corporate as that money is going towards the pitch / staving off a points deduction.

You couldn't make it up.

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

BST Column on 09:01 - Apr 20 with 348 viewsLala

It’s utter buffoonery !

It’s a sad attempt at ITK self-important twaddle if you ask me. Some can’t accept their 5 minutes are over.

BST Column on 09:30 - Apr 20 with 345 viewsROTTWEILERS

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

BST Column on 09:35 - Apr 20 with 343 viewsLala

BST Column on 15:09 - Apr 20 with 336 viewsspell_chekker

BST are encouraging the purchase of season tickets.

That should be enough for anyone.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

BST Column on 20:36 - Apr 20 with 330 viewsjanegallagher

Ah I understand now where you’re coming from rotts, someone just mentioned it to me.

So ones bragging he’s paid £850 for a table Monday and the other £1700 yet we’re not to buy season tickets. You couldn’t make it up.

The two control freaks just can’t let go can they
[Post edited 20 Apr 2019 20:40]

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BST Column on 09:13 - Apr 21 with 308 viewsspell_chekker

Not sure what's going on here but that sounds a bit expensive for watching a football match.

BST Column on 09:16 - Apr 21 with 306 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Corporate packages Spell (For the Fleetwood match).

BST Column on 09:48 - Apr 21 with 302 viewsspell_chekker

Yes, I twigged that there was a boys' club thread on AVFTT.

Silly boys.

BST Column on 10:01 - Apr 21 with 301 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Think less boy's club, more a collection of conspiracy theories, that are up there with some of the best that people like Steven Greer come out with.

Wonder if you get a free tin foil hat with your meal?

BST Column on 13:30 - Apr 21 with 292 viewsjanegallagher

Something is not right.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BST Column on 14:11 - Apr 21 with 286 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

BST Column on 14:19 - Apr 21 with 282 viewsjanegallagher

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BST Column on 14:56 - Apr 21 with 275 viewsspell_chekker

Jane has good instincts and does know a lot of people

BST Column on 23:31 - Apr 21 with 265 viewsImperial

I will be buying my first season ticket for 5 years with no fears of an OO return. He is now of no consequence. I may not be able to attend as regularly as I would like next season but they have my full support.

BST Column on 11:04 - Apr 22 with 253 viewsjanegallagher

But fluffykins I think you’re wrong 😘

We’ve got Simon Sadler

BST Column on 11:31 - Apr 22 with 251 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Fluffykins knows OO was still in Spain as of Friday.

BST Column on 11:43 - Apr 22 with 248 viewsjanegallagher

I don’t think for one minute Oyston is coming back. I think there’s a bit more to this scaremongering

We’ve got Simon Sadler

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024