Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have you met any truly wonderful and life-affirming people? 20:17 - Nov 29 with 215 viewsspudgun

Heard today that Phil Bailey had passed away.

Probably none of you on here had the privilege to know him, but he was the most funny, good natured fella you could wish to meet.

He was the landlord of the Shovels (with his lovely wife Lesley) for many years when we were regulars, and everyone loved him. And I mean everyone.

He loved dressing up as Elvis, always did a song with any band that played there, and generally lived every day to the full, and his summer pub-cycle crawls were legendary. He smiled and laughed more than any man should be entitled to. And always in good spirit. He was never peevish or ill-tempered in humour.

He used to come to our house and set up a bar for parties and always made a big fuss over young spud when he was a nipper. But then again he made a fuss of all the kids and invited many regulars to the pub every Xmas where he presented the kids with presents, bought by him and Lesley.

And he set up the Shovels fun run which continues now, and raises thousands each year for local charities.

We used to go to Maine Rd and Anfield to watch City play Liverpool; he was a proper City fan (born in Manchester) and the new all-conquering City sat uneasily with him. He liked the down at heel snatching defeat from the jaws of victory City. It suited him better.

We shared in a pantomime hatred of all things Man United, although he could really never hate anything, but we both played along at the expense of some of his customers.

Phil died suddenly and I hadn`t seen him for many months; I was not a particularly close friend but he brightened every room he walked into and I am glad that I spent time with him. The mere sight of him in the distance brightened my day.

The funeral service will probably draw a bigger crowd than an average Fleetwood home game, and they will all think of Phil in the same way that I have tried to articulate. We all felt he was our special friend.

You don`t meet too many like that in life; make the most of them...

[Post edited 30 Nov 2019 11:05]

Have you met any truly wonderful life-affirming people? on 20:21 - Nov 29 with 212 viewsROTTWEILERS

That's a lovely tribute spud

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

Have you met any truly wonderful life-affirming people? on 20:27 - Nov 29 with 208 viewsspudgun

Thanks Rotts...

Have you met any truly wonderful life-affirming people? on 21:07 - Nov 29 with 203 viewsLala

Ye really nice tribute. You obviously thought a lot of him 😔

Make the most of people like that and make the most of life.

Sorry for your loss, I’m sure he spoke just as highly of you 👍

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Have you met any truly wonderful life-affirming people? on 23:43 - Nov 29 with 196 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Wonderful tribute Spud.

Didn't know him personally, but use to work with someone who did.

An ex girlfriend's Grandmother was a holocaust survivor, who with a couple of others would do lectures on the holocaust. Got on really well with them, all sadly passed away now.

She had a huge influence on me.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Have you met any truly wonderful life-affirming people? on 10:22 - Nov 30 with 187 viewsspell_chekker

The Shovels is more or less in my neck of the woods.

RIP fella.

What a wonderfully written epitaph.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024