Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial 11:02 - Feb 19 with 164 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Watched this on BBC 2 last night, well worth a watch (If only for the singing Irish Jew hater, how Baddiel doesn't punch him, I don't know).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fjqk/confronting-holocaust-denial-with

Someone should make Cummings and the others at No 10 watch it as well, and explain to them that eugenics was the Pseudoscience the Nazis used to justify carrying out the Holocaust.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial on 11:28 - Feb 19 with 153 viewsLala

I don’t even comprehend Holocaust denial as an actual thing shocking.

Will check this out 👍

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial on 11:37 - Feb 19 with 152 viewsspudgun

It has always been there simmering away on the back burner in the Conservative party, going back to Keith Joseph and his "Our human stock is threatened" speech. Probably goes back way beyond him; just that I was reading about him recently.

Ben Bradley MP has had to apologise for `sterilisation` to the lower classes comments only a year or two ago.

And not forgetting Toby Young (who was appointed to a Board by the Tories - had to resign within the week) and his views on` progressive eugenics`.

Obviously workers are needed as fodder for capitalism, but they may need pruning occasionally...

* Edit to add: perhaps it was not totally clear, but I am talking specifically about eugenics and the Tory party (in reply to Red`s second paragraph) and not holocaust denial. Agree that holocaust denial is a cross bench problem amongst the outliers of both the main parties...
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 14:00]

David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial on 13:36 - Feb 19 with 145 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

It's a phenomenon that lurks at the fringes of politics at both ends of the spectrum.

Baddiel made some good points about denial as it pertains to the Middle East, where it is as much a tool for provocation as it is a genuinely held belief.

He also exposed the Irish bloke for the complete bell end he is ; the pity is that some of our hard of thinking lack the critical faculties to see through the bulls** and see it for what it is.

It's a sad indictment of us all that in the period immediately after the war the West played it down as it represented a threat to the (strategically important) country of West Germany, as a bulwark against the emerging Soviet Empire. And the Germans have never really tackled it with any vigour at home either ; certainly not in the period from (say) 1945-1990. To paraphrase an old truism : Six million dead Jews can't vote. Seven million former members of the Nazi Party can and do, in every election.

Obviously this is not so true now. But collective guilt casts a long shadow.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial on 15:13 - Feb 19 with 126 viewsspell_chekker

Are German people embarrassed about their 20th century history of do they simply try not to think about it too much?

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial on 15:25 - Feb 19 with 122 viewsLala

I suppose they weren’t the direct culprits. Those who weren’t alive certainly.

I’m ashamed at how white and/or British have behaved historically when you look at slavery and apartheid and such like. That said I’m only ashamed when I actively think about it, which isn’t that often to be fair. I would imagine it’s much the same for the current generation of Germans.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial on 15:43 - Feb 19 with 119 viewsspudgun

Something I have not considered much, but interesting.

It must have been a huge thing for the German governments post war: how to document and acknowledge the Nazis atrocities yet move forward and try to put it behind them.

I have read that the Germans have not tried to conceal their history (it is taught in schools there) and have approached it in a general sober and measured way.

Must have been weird for subsequent generations after the war learning about it and perhaps feeling oddly guilty by association, or needing to show contrition or seeking some kind of atonement - all vicariously...

David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial on 16:23 - Feb 19 with 115 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

BRR nails a big part of the problem. Think it was in 1951, the Americans stopped prosecuting war criminals and issued pardons for those that had been convicted in their occupation zone.

The new West German government went further and started reversing or ignoring some trial decisions, like not breaking up or banning companies that worked with the Nazis (Krupp, Siemens, Opel, Bayer, IG Farben, etc.... The CEO of Allianz was the Nazis economics minister for a time).

They also passed some laws which made it difficult to prosecute, including one which gave Immunity from prosecution for family members helping suspected war criminals (It's how Mengele was never caught. Also the family business still got government contracts).

They used the old excuses of "no Nazi left" "you always go on about the past" "we were right, the Red threat is the big danger, you need us" etc......

They only really began to face the truth after the fall of the Soviet Empire and all their war records came to light. However how do you square the fact that your loving Father/Grandfather and in some cases Mother/Grandmother, spent the war bashing in babies skulls?

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

David Baddiel Confronting Holocaust Denial on 22:56 - Feb 20 with 78 viewsjanegallagher

Just finished watching it. I find it difficult to comprehend there are people out there like the Irish guy. Why would he deny it ever existed. Just can’t get my head round it.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024