Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT What newspaper ? 12:05 - Nov 19 with 1008 viewsLala

So what newspaper do you read, and why ?

I know I am setting myself up for disapproval as I read the Mail, but I'm not ashamed of that. It incorporates news, with a bit of gossip and sport and it's an easy bedtime read. Any opinions I feel are over the top politically I filter out myself.

What about you - which paper and why ?

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

OT What newspaper ? on 12:42 - Nov 19 with 999 viewsWizaard

The Times. Good read of sport and politics with no mention of anything celebrity.

OT What newspaper ? on 12:46 - Nov 19 with 994 viewsLala

'no mention of anything celebrity. '

I think it's a woman thing, the mail is a cross between a newspaper and a magazine for me, a 2in1 job. I'm not celebrity mad at all, but I do like the odd bit of celeb gossip.

OT What newspaper ? on 13:03 - Nov 19 with 990 viewsHarryHorse

Can't remember the last time I bought one . If I was to get one now it would probably be The Times . I really can't be doing with The Mail - unless it is getting stuck into KO of course

OT What newspaper ? on 13:51 - Nov 19 with 969 viewsFountain

None during the week. The Times mainly for the reasons Wizz says. On occasion sometimes The Telegraph on a Saturday because of the sections it has and the plant offers as displayed front page. Also been known to buy The Morning Star very infrequently (the sports section applies the same level of tokenism as does the Gazette in questioning Oyston).

slap me on the patio

OT What newspaper ? on 14:01 - Nov 19 with 956 viewsTwelveAngryMen

The Telegraph - the sport is excellent
I buy the online version for £10 pcm

#footballfirst

OT What newspaper ? on 15:01 - Nov 19 with 934 viewsLala

hmmm Times and Telegraph seem to be popular, I will maybe give them a try this weekend,and see if I can live without the trivial stuff.

OT What newspaper ? on 15:31 - Nov 19 with 926 viewsOdinsRaven

online version of Daily Mail for me. It says what the silent majority are thinking...

OT What newspaper ? on 17:11 - Nov 19 with 901 viewsPNENIL

I get the I now and again. No political bias and you get the broadsheet experience without it costing you half a day to read. The sport section is never enough for me though.

OT What newspaper ? on 17:15 - Nov 19 with 895 viewsArchibaldKnox

These OT topics are like tumbleweed blowing though this site. Or, rather, like old discarded sheets of newspaper blowing though a city centre on a Sunday evening.

And I don't buy newspapers anymore. Just read them online. It's part of the digital revolution doncha know. Of course that means I am excluded from access to the Sunday Times, but I don't miss it much.

OT What newspaper ? on 18:26 - Nov 19 with 875 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

During the week I read the i and at weekends get the grown up Independent and Independent on Sunday, when I've got time to read all the stuff.

I had a phone call from the Telegraph a couple of weeks ago offering a 50% discount on the cover price if I took out a 6 month subscription. When I told the nice lady that I wasn't a Telegraph reader she offered me a 60% discount (brand new customers only, clearly).

I declined.

OT What newspaper ? on 19:14 - Nov 19 with 861 viewsribble

No, the Mail doesn't says what the silent majority are thinking, just what the majority of of Daily Mail readers are thinking which is something else entirely....

The Guardian on a Saturday and the Observer on a Sunday. The Guardian goes from strength to strength (and its online offering is outsanding) but sadly the Observer has declined in recent years. Buy it more out of habit, if the truth be told.

OT What newspaper ? on 19:21 - Nov 19 with 858 viewsTang67

Tend not yo buy every day but get the Observer on a Sunday and have for 30 years
The Mail is very popular and well put together it is also is a nasty paper which hates British institutions I love such as the NHS and the BBC and has the values of the curtain twitching Brit at their very worst
Lala you are a public sector worker do in the Mail world you are just above illegal immigrants , welfare cheats and well below tax dodgers
Also in 1930's it had the famous headline
"Hurrah for the blackshirts "
To its credit it was brave on Stephen Lawrence murder

Poster formerly known as bisphamtang

OT What newspaper ? on 19:47 - Nov 19 with 843 viewsMephistopheles

Inadvertently read the mail online when someone links to the latest cancer causing, job-stealing epidemic we all need to be wary of. Other than that nothing at all and as someone who isn't the least bit politically motivated (or educated) I wouldn't know where to start.

I listen to Radio 4 though which makes me a yoghurt knitting hand wringer. Probably

OT What newspaper ? on 20:40 - Nov 19 with 823 viewsBloodtangerine

The Times at the weekend

Mail online (as I subscribe) during the week......dont read it every day as sometimes dont have the time/inclination

Voice of the two scarfers..UTMP

OT What newspaper ? on 20:41 - Nov 19 with 823 viewsribble

The Mail is in the main a vile and often laughable paper which panders (very successfully) to the prejudices of its readership. But I was impressed by its stance on the Lawrence case. That took some balls, I'll give them that.

OT What newspaper ? on 20:48 - Nov 19 with 817 viewsBloodtangerine

Ribble, that is a bit insulting to anyone who reads it and exceptionally opininiated.....YOUR opinion, not a fact as you almost portray it

Voice of the two scarfers..UTMP

OT What newspaper ? on 21:09 - Nov 19 with 806 viewsHarryHorse

Ribble's right though Blood

OT What newspaper ? on 21:14 - Nov 19 with 805 viewsribble

Of course its opinionated, Blood - it's what I think. Life would be very dull (and would make boards such as this entirely redundant) if we all hummed to the same tune. No insult intended.

OT What newspaper ? on 21:17 - Nov 19 with 798 viewsHarryHorse

Just like the newspapers themselves of course

OT What newspaper ? on 21:20 - Nov 19 with 797 viewsribble

Quite so, Harry. The Mail has its place.

OT What newspaper ? on 22:39 - Nov 19 with 774 viewsArchibaldKnox

Why on earth do you pay for the Telegraph online, TAM? Conscience?
It's free for 20 articles in a month and then you get the blocker page asking you to sign up.
But if you simply clear your cookies you are back to square one.

OT What newspaper ? on 22:59 - Nov 19 with 766 viewsTwelveAngryMen

Unless I'm mistaken you don't get anywhere near the full paper when you just go online
The online subscription edition though gives you a lot more
If I'm wrong Ive been had !

#footballfirst

OT What newspaper ? on 06:38 - Nov 20 with 740 viewsTangent

People are hardly going to say The Sun, Star or the Sport are they?

“Unlike other clubs, we do things properly.” — Karl Oyston - 2013

OT What newspaper ? on 07:33 - Nov 20 with 726 viewsCurryman

When I buy one, I usually read the Mail, as my Dad before me did, so it's probably that I've got used to it. You often get decent articles about various things in it and contrary to belief it regularly slams Dave and the Tories as well as Labour and their 'Leadership'. The Sport section is not too good though.

Online I like the Huffington Post and also the Guardian, which is just as opinionated as any other paper, so how's that for a mix?

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

OT What newspaper ? on 10:42 - Nov 20 with 700 viewsArchibaldKnox

You are right TAM. You can't get access to the cryptic crossword or the chess problem on the free online version.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2014 23:03]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024