Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things that make you go Hmmm... 10:35 - Jul 9 with 280 viewsspudgun

Dear Drooper,

I have always had a lot of respect for Andy Partridge and XTC.

Erudite, witty, slightly off-kilter and prodigiously talented he has been a mainstay of my musical world, and an unimpeachable band amongst my peers. I am currently reading the `XTC Bumper book of Fun` - a compilation of old reviews interviews and articles. He is a fantastically complex and interesting fella. Recently a pal encouraged me to read his twitter feed which I finally got around to.

So imagine my discombobulation to find he has recently terminated his twitter account amidst accusations of anti-Semitism. I was shocked to find he had feet made of racist clay.

Has this ever happened to you, and should I let it colour my view of his lifetime`s work?

Great choon...

[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 10:43]

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 12:53 - Jul 9 with 259 viewsLala

Firstly I feel your disappointment, not good.

A very interesting point and a thinker indeed 🤔 I will have my lunch and get back to you very soon 👍

And if he has feet made of racist clay that would definitely colour his past contributions to art and society, for me anyway.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 13:33]

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 13:41 - Jul 9 with 244 viewsImperial

It is difficult when today's standards are retrospectively applied.

I watched and laughed to the antics of Alf Garnett and the womanizing ways of the likely lads.

Am I now racist and sexist by default?

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 14:01 - Jul 9 with 242 viewsLala

No. I think we’ve all rightly or wrongly laughed along at inappropriate humour at some time or other.

It’s when you hold these views as your own then the label fits.

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 14:08 - Jul 9 with 237 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

The thing is, "Till Death Us Do Part" was lampooning racism, not glorifying it. It was supremely well done, and I don't know why the schedulers don't give the viewing public credit for intelligence in deciding whether to show it now.

Especially when you see that crude rubbish like On The Buses IS shown.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 14:37 - Jul 9 with 228 viewsImperial

What do you feel guilty for enjoying watching looking back.

Should you feel guilty?

Can we be held responsible for how we felt in the past?

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 14:58 - Jul 9 with 221 viewsspudgun

Lala:

Strangely enough (in decades old interviews) Partridge was the first to admit that he could be casually racist, and he points out it was endemic in society in the 70`s when he was a youth, and that is true. Yet he wrote anti-racist songs like `No thugs in our house` and `Knuckle Down`.

And the past is a foreign country where things were done differently.

Should artists be judged only through their art? I dunno...

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 15:41 - Jul 9 with 212 viewsLala

The past is definitely a foreign country, but his tweets are not I assume.

Very difficult personal shout really. We often see what we want to see anyway when it comes to judging someone we like.

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 16:38 - Jul 9 with 199 viewsspudgun

Absolutely Lala, his current tweets were wrong in today`s world. Criticism of Israel is a tricky thing to debate on a social media platform as he was doing. And he went too far.

Stuff from decades ago, like Imp says, are a different matter. I never considered myself racist, nor my pals, but by today`s standards we would have been judged so, so I wouldn`t judge him on that personally.

And you are absolutely right that we do make allowances for people we like, because we have to judge people on the greater good...

Things that make you go Hmmm... on 17:25 - Jul 9 with 190 viewsLala

I still laugh at some sexist stuff now if it’s light hearted. I seem to feel that if me or my demograph are the butt of the joke and I see no malice in there then that’s ok. Some would disagree.

Not sure if that makes me ahead of the times or stuck in the past 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024