Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Everything is a chorus if you`re Tim enough"... 08:00 - Aug 3 with 198 viewsspudgun

I was saddened - and somewhat relieved - to hear (belatedly) of the passing of Tim Smith on Stuart Maconie`s Freak Zone last night. A genuinely unique off-kilter musical genius who sadly succumbed to a debilitating heart attack many years ago leaving him in a semi-vegetative state.

Prior to that he blazed a trail of extraordinarily incendiary music that is both challenging and joyously rewarding. His lyrics are bible black and from a different place where only he dared go; he danced to a different beat entirely, one that very few can hear.

RIP Tim...

[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 8:01]

"Everything is a chorus if you`re Tim enough"... on 18:57 - Aug 3 with 166 viewsspell_chekker

I can't say I've heard of him before.

However, RIP Tim.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

"Everything is a chorus if you`re Tim enough"... on 19:32 - Aug 3 with 161 viewsspudgun

I wouldn`t really have expected anyone to have heard of him to be honest, spell. He had a heart attack that led to brain damage in 2008. I googled his progress from time to time, but it was very slow.

His band (Cardiacs) had a big cult following and he was name-checked by people like Radiohead and Blur amongst many.

I suppose he was a true English eccentric who shunned glory and fame for musical integrity. And he had talent to burn...

(No subject) on 21:14 - Aug 3 with 156 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Knew nothing of him/them. First listen makes me think of a mix of, 70's euro prog rock, Devo, Talking Heads, Primus. Will have to add to the "listen later" list.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

(No subject) on 21:44 - Aug 3 with 152 viewsspudgun

They are a difficult listen at times, and are at the technical end of prog, with jarring unwieldy time signatures bizarrely welded to a punk ethos.

There`s nothing `airy fairy` about the lyrics - often a feature of prog - Smith`s are full of dark Edward Lear/ Lewis Carroll weirdness that are hidden in the mix behind the noise; they are often very original and disturbing.

Sometimes their videos are full of English whimsy and silliness, masking their virtuosity. B

I do like discovering `odd` bands.

Stuart Maconie`s Freak Zone is a Sunday night treat...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024