Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jay Spearing 21:44 - Aug 5 with 237 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Jay Spearing on 21:50 - Aug 5 with 233 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Former Blackpool captain Jay Spearing has signed for League Two side Tranmere Rovers.

The 31-year-old has penned a two-year deal at Prenton Park with Tranmere beating off competition from a host of League One clubs.

It comes after Spearing turned down the offer of a new contract at Bloomfield Road earlier in the summer.

The former Liverpool man, who lives close to Tranmere's training ground, links up with Ian Dawes for a second time in his career having worked alongside the coach during his time at Blackpool.

Dawes was recently appointed Tranmere’s assistant manager to new boss Mike Jackson.

“I was very impressed with meeting the gaffer and he sealed the deal for me,” Spearing said.

“His ambition and the way he wanted to go about things, it was an important thing for me to hear and see.

“I also know the assistant manager Dawesy and he put his points across very well. After speaking to them, it was an easy decision to make.

“I have family who are massive Tranmere Rovers fans, they were delighted when they found out the news. My nephew was sending me all sorts of Tranmere Rovers songs and he has been texting me all day asking when will the news be announced.

“The history is fantastic, everything about it is great. It is a football club that needs to go again.”

While it’s thought Spearing initially wanted to remain in League One, The Gazette understands the combative midfielder has also been offered a coaching role with boyhood club Liverpool.

Playing his football with Tranmere would mean the former Bolton Wanderers man wouldn’t have to relocate.

After arriving at Bloomfield Road in 2017, Spearing went on to make 120 appearances for the Seasiders, scoring eight times.

Spearing departed the club with the best wishes of head coach Neil Critchley, who was sad to see him go.

“We offered Jay a new deal to stay, but he thought it was the right reason for him to leave the club and we wish him nothing but the best,” he told The Gazette.

“He was fantastic here for three seasons, he was the captain who led the team and the club really well. We wish him all the best.

“I had a really good relationship with Jay and that will continue.”

When asked by The Gazette what was the reason behind Spearing’s surprise departure, chief executive Ben Mansford admitted the two parties were far apart in their respective demands.

“I think with Jay it was just clear we didn’t have as much common ground on the structure of the contract,” he said.

“It was just cleaner with Jay and more respectful to admit we’re some distance apart so let’s wish each other the best and not let this drag on with such a good guy and a professional.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/former-blackpool-

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Jay Spearing on 07:24 - Aug 6 with 220 viewsspudgun

"I think with Jay it was just clear we didn`t have enough common ground on the structure of the contract."

CEO speak.

Reduced salary, shorter contract...

Jay Spearing on 07:41 - Aug 6 with 218 viewsspell_chekker

It's a funny set up if he's starting to coach at Liverpool and play for Tranmere at the same time.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024