Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what has hoddle brought to the table? 13:02 - Oct 8 with 8414 viewsrichpr

Not sure how much influence Hoddle has had but apart from Sunderland our pitiful performances so far haven't shown any signs of organization, togetherness or ability. Confidence is at its lowest - nobody wants the ball, Caulker to Ferdinand, Ferdinand to Traore, Traore to Henry, Henry to Caulker, Caulker to Onouha, Onouha to Krancjar or Austin who lose it. On the back foot again. No pace, no desire. When you look at our signings, they are hardly winners! Caulker and Mutch from relegated Cardiff, Fer from relegated Norwich, Isla and Vargas out of favour at debt-ridden Italian clubs, as for Krancjar who could hardly make our first team last year - then we sign a good keeper to destroy Green's confidence (when is he going to actually stop a goal - thought he should have stopped Man U's first goal and should have come out for WH's first goal). Time for Redknapp, Bond, Jordan, Hoddle, (why Sir Les? - great player but haven't we got enough) to go - lets get in a young manager, younger players with passion and ideas without an entourage of highly paid coaches . Let's start playing some football we can enjoy watching, win or lose - frankly I'm embarrassed to watch the R's in the pub especially when you see other teams like Burnley fighting for their lives on a shoe-string buget.
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:09 - Oct 8 with 6894 viewsMonahoop

What has Hoddle brought to the table? Nothing that I can see, but another unpalatable plate of slime ridden gruel to add to the already inedible festering feast at Cafe Loftus Road.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:12 - Oct 8 with 6882 viewsdaveB

Hoddle works a few days a week and Traore has spoken a lot about how he has helped him with his game, with the best will in the world he was never going to make a huge difference in just over a month of being at the club. Mclaren had a pre season last year working double sessions with the players so Hoddles impact was never going to be anything similar

I don't get the moans about too many coaches, I don't think we have enough and it helps to have different voices coming in for training and keep players interested.

As for Ferdinand it's pretty clear he's not coming in as a first team coach, I'm not sure how clear the club have to make that
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:14 - Oct 8 with 6867 viewsDiscodroids

re hoddle . i always think of richard gere in american gigolo , cerruti sports jacket slung over his shoulder , crusing the eponymous highways and byways of acton to the tune of blondies 'call me'..

other than that..not much.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2014 13:15]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:29 - Oct 8 with 6823 viewsrichpr

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:12 - Oct 8 by daveB

Hoddle works a few days a week and Traore has spoken a lot about how he has helped him with his game, with the best will in the world he was never going to make a huge difference in just over a month of being at the club. Mclaren had a pre season last year working double sessions with the players so Hoddles impact was never going to be anything similar

I don't get the moans about too many coaches, I don't think we have enough and it helps to have different voices coming in for training and keep players interested.

As for Ferdinand it's pretty clear he's not coming in as a first team coach, I'm not sure how clear the club have to make that

too many cooks spoil the broth comes to mind when it comes to coaches! Time for Redknapp to start doing something other than picking defensive teams that can't defend. What does he do!! Even our fitness coaches can't keep the team fit. We must have broken all records for hamstring injuries last year.
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:36 - Oct 8 with 6796 viewsdaveB

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:29 - Oct 8 by richpr

too many cooks spoil the broth comes to mind when it comes to coaches! Time for Redknapp to start doing something other than picking defensive teams that can't defend. What does he do!! Even our fitness coaches can't keep the team fit. We must have broken all records for hamstring injuries last year.

Most Premier League clubs have 5/6 coaches to look after so many players each with different skills. Like having different teachers at school for maths, History, art etc, all different skills same as different coaches for defending, attacking, set pieces, fitness etc

I really don't see the problem with us having 2 full time first team coaches one part time and a fitness bloke. Most clubs have far more than us and I think we need a few more as well.

The Manager will set out what he wants his coaches to teach today and they implement it. As long as they are working together is shouldn't be a problem
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:39 - Oct 8 with 6779 viewsthemodfather

to be fair, what have any of them brought to the table?
bond and co....? the players have pretty much been woeful....
and then the fans get blamed!??
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 14:00 - Oct 8 with 6718 viewsTheBlob

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:09 - Oct 8 by Monahoop

What has Hoddle brought to the table? Nothing that I can see, but another unpalatable plate of slime ridden gruel to add to the already inedible festering feast at Cafe Loftus Road.

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm........slime........

Poll: So how was the season for you?

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 14:20 - Oct 8 with 6675 viewsTacticalR

Karma? Whether good or bad remains to be seen.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 15:22 - Oct 8 with 6592 viewsFredManRave

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 14:20 - Oct 8 by TacticalR

Was the question, "How many times will 'Arry will get off his 'Arris during our next game against Liverpool?"

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 15:25 - Oct 8 with 6587 viewsdanehoop

I was thinking perhaps he may have bought some loaves of bread and a few fish....

Never knowingly understood

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 16:09 - Oct 8 with 6499 viewsNorthernr

It's a strange one this. Glenn Hoddle comes in, vastly experienced former national team manager, been running a successful academy in Spain for ten years so knows a thing or two about player development etc. No noticeable difference made - we're still crap.

Mark Hughes, decent jobs done at several other clubs of our size, comes in with more backroom staff than we could fit on the team bus. No noticeable difference made.

Harry Redknapp, very experienced etc etc no noticeable difference made.

We sign and sell up to a dozen players every transfer window and the same problems persist.

Now I think Harry should go. He's blatantly not interested, and neither is his team. Our best chance to survive this year is through new manager bounce. This group of players is a lot better than it's showing. I don't accept we made poor summer signings - Ferdinand and Isla apart I liked all of them. But if we do sack him, we'll probably be in the same position again in 12 months.

Sooner or later surely QPR fans have to be asking some serious questions of Tony Fernandes, Phil Beard and Mark Donnelly. They're the constants in all of this. Managers and players are coming and going and the team remains poor, with a poor attitude. We're still not graduating youth players. We're still losing money.

They're the absolute prime example of the importance of PR in modern society. If you're well PR'd, you can get away with all sorts. Flavio Briatore saved the club from far greater peril than Tony Fernandes did, but because he didn't care about what we thought and openly stated that people turned on him.

The team is still crap, the atmosphere is crap, the Lower Loft situation is ridiculous and has been foisted upon supporters by management with no experience or knowledge of our club, supporters who'll be here long after they've gone. The tickets are extortionate, the club has £160m of debt that wasn't there before, the atmosphere is diabolical. The training ground was meant to be open by now, hasn't happened. The new stadium seems to rest entirely on a strategy of "we're a football club so get out of our way" because they fcked up the initial negotiations with Car Giant.

And yet it's still 'Uncle Tony' and everything can still be solved by a new manager and some new players. Fulham Chronicle yesterday "QPR need new players, but how many?" NONE. Stop signing fcking players all the time. Best defence in the Championship last season and none of them currently get picked! Replace Dunne with Caulker and leave it alone. No way would a back four of Simpson Onuoha Caulker and YSY/Hill be doing any worse than the current set up. No way.

What Fernandes doesn't seem to have grasped is that his Air Asia baseball cap would look much better on SSN atop somebody running a club sensibly and successfully, than chasing around after fcking celebrity footballers.

It's the way the club is run that's the constant problem, not Harry or Hughes or whoever comes next.

This post has been edited by an administrator
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 16:15 - Oct 8 with 6473 viewsWestminsteRs

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 14:20 - Oct 8 by TacticalR

To have ended up here he must've said something in a former life that was very nasty about disabled people.
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 17:18 - Oct 8 with 6402 viewsTheBlob

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 16:15 - Oct 8 by WestminsteRs

To have ended up here he must've said something in a former life that was very nasty about disabled people.

My bruv Jim who is disabled had a brief letter published in The Times....
"I am stricken with Spina Bifida,does this mean I was a football manager in a previous life?"

Poll: So how was the season for you?

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 17:40 - Oct 8 with 6366 viewsWilloW4

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 13:12 - Oct 8 by daveB

Tarore has spoken a lot how he(hoddle) has helped with his game!!!!! Bloody hell...'Nuff Said !!!
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 18:03 - Oct 8 with 6336 viewsBklynRanger

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 16:09 - Oct 8 by Northernr

It's a strange one this. Glenn Hoddle comes in, vastly experienced former national team manager, been running a successful academy in Spain for ten years so knows a thing or two about player development etc. No noticeable difference made - we're still crap.

Mark Hughes, decent jobs done at several other clubs of our size, comes in with more backroom staff than we could fit on the team bus. No noticeable difference made.

We sign and sell up to a dozen players every transfer window and the same problems persist.

Now I think Harry should go. He's blatantly not interested, and neither is his team. Our best chance to survive this year is through new manager bounce. This group of players is a lot better than it's showing. I don't accept we made poor summer signings - Ferdinand and Isla apart I liked all of them. But if we do sack him, we'll probably be in the same position again in 12 months.

Sooner or later surely QPR fans have to be asking some serious questions of Tony Fernandes, Phil Beard and Mark Donnelly. They're the constants in all of this. Managers and players are coming and going and the team remains poor, with a poor attitude. We're still not graduating youth players. We're still losing money.

They're the absolute prime example of the importance of PR in modern society. If you're well PR'd, you can get away with all sorts. Flavio Briatore saved the club from far greater peril than Tony Fernandes did, but because he didn't care about what we thought and openly stated that people turned on him.

The team is still crap, the atmosphere is crap, the Lower Loft situation is ridiculous and has been foisted upon supporters by management with no experience or knowledge of our club, supporters who'll be here long after they've gone. The tickets are extortionate, the club has £160m of debt that wasn't there before, the atmosphere is diabolical. The training ground was meant to be open by now, hasn't happened. The new stadium seems to rest entirely on a strategy of "we're a football club so get out of our way" because they fcked up the initial negotiations with Car Giant.

And yet it's still 'Uncle Tony' and everything can still be solved by a new manager and some new players. Fulham Chronicle yesterday "QPR need new players, but how many?" NONE. Stop signing fcking players all the time. Best defence in the Championship last season and none of them currently get picked! Replace Dunne with Caulker and leave it alone. No way would a back four of Simpson Onuoha Caulker and YSY/Hill be doing any worse than the current set up. No way.

What Fernandes doesn't seem to have grasped is that his Air Asia baseball cap would look much better on SSN atop somebody running a club sensibly and successfully, than chasing around after fcking celebrity footballers.

It's the way the club is run that's the constant problem, not Harry or Hughes or whoever comes next.

I can understand TF, PB and co's role in most of those things you mention, Clive. The Lower Loft mess, constantly buying players, ticket prices, debt, lack of a training ground, and things like that.

What I don't quite understand is how TF is responsible for the shocking state of our play under Hughes and Redknapp. I know it can be said that they set the tone, that if you have a player round eating at your house and playing x-box that may send a message to the squad in general. But I don't see how the manager can't make everything about the management and coaching of the team his, the manager's, sole domain. Something along the lines of "Yes, the Chairman has a different style (let's leave it at that) but you're my player and here is how we're going to do things: [insert whistful imaginings regarding pride, determination, tactics, conditioning and effort]."

I know TF is responsible for many things, but I'm not convinced at this point that our fortunes on the pitch aren't far more down to Hughes being an over-rated tool and Redknapp being disinterested and past it.
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 18:07 - Oct 8 with 6325 viewsClive_Anderson

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 18:03 - Oct 8 by BklynRanger

I can understand TF, PB and co's role in most of those things you mention, Clive. The Lower Loft mess, constantly buying players, ticket prices, debt, lack of a training ground, and things like that.

What I don't quite understand is how TF is responsible for the shocking state of our play under Hughes and Redknapp. I know it can be said that they set the tone, that if you have a player round eating at your house and playing x-box that may send a message to the squad in general. But I don't see how the manager can't make everything about the management and coaching of the team his, the manager's, sole domain. Something along the lines of "Yes, the Chairman has a different style (let's leave it at that) but you're my player and here is how we're going to do things: [insert whistful imaginings regarding pride, determination, tactics, conditioning and effort]."

I know TF is responsible for many things, but I'm not convinced at this point that our fortunes on the pitch aren't far more down to Hughes being an over-rated tool and Redknapp being disinterested and past it.

I agree with this.

It's fashionable to go on about the "culture of the club" being more important than anything else these days, but really we've just had two completely shit managers in a row who thought they were too big for the club and couldn't really be arsed. No stability behind the scenes can fix that.

And the idea that Briatore and Paladini were anything other than meddling lunatics is an interesting theory to say the least. We went up because we had an excellent manager rather than any behind the scenes plans from the chairman.
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 18:31 - Oct 8 with 6286 viewsTHEBUSH

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 18:07 - Oct 8 by Clive_Anderson

I agree with this.

It's fashionable to go on about the "culture of the club" being more important than anything else these days, but really we've just had two completely shit managers in a row who thought they were too big for the club and couldn't really be arsed. No stability behind the scenes can fix that.

And the idea that Briatore and Paladini were anything other than meddling lunatics is an interesting theory to say the least. We went up because we had an excellent manager rather than any behind the scenes plans from the chairman.

Yep, I agree with this !!
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 19:01 - Oct 8 with 6221 viewsbosh67

I rest my case.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 20:02 - Oct 8 with 6133 viewsBasingstokeR

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 18:07 - Oct 8 by Clive_Anderson

I agree with this.

Unless one of these McIntyre types with quite a bit of inside knowledge of the goings on internally spills in some sort of greater detail; it just seems that whilst its hard to totally disagree with the boards influence on the identity and atmosphere of the club angle; that the direct affect on the performances on the pitch might be being overstated.
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 21:39 - Oct 8 with 6060 viewsPeterHucker

Come to QPR.
We'll pay you a huge wage and you don't really have to do anything.
Hoddle has fitted in very nicely.
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 21:56 - Oct 8 with 6023 viewsNW5Hoop

Absolutely.

I was OK about Fernandes until halfway through the relegation season, at which point I started to think he was clearly getting a lot more wrong than right (and I've been saying this on the board pretty consistently since around that time). Now, after three seasons, I think it's clear he's presiding over an absolute shambles, and that given he and his executive team are the constant in all this, the only rational explanation is that it's their fault. They've set the culture of the club as a wannabe Chelsea/Man City, but they forget those clubs are run ruthlessly and professionally from top to bottom; being a big club is about a lot more than having a few famous faces around the place. We're a cut and shut job, not a sports car.

The ground announcement proved his main interest in QPR was as anchor tenants for a big commercial development; and he couldn't even handle that properly. The way that's turned into a farce with Car Giant — who are justifiably playing tough, so far as I can see — speaks volumes about the club's leadership, as does the on-off-on Warren Farm business.

It embarrasses me to hear people singing his name. To be honest, it would embarrass me to hear any chairman's name being sung: football club owners are ALWAYS in it for their own benefit. Usually that means the club succeeding, too, but it's for them, not the club. We are the club, not Fernandes. We were here before he came, and we'll be here long after he goes.

And we're at the point where I wish he would, except I fear it would mean the financial collapse of the club. He's got us into such incredible debt, combining it with such woeful performance on the pitch, that I can't imagine who would take it off his hands except an asset stripper buying on the cheap. We're lumbered with this self aggrandising rank amateur.

QPR is a disgrace.
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 22:25 - Oct 8 with 5973 viewskropotkin41

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 21:56 - Oct 8 by NW5Hoop

Absolutely.

I was OK about Fernandes until halfway through the relegation season, at which point I started to think he was clearly getting a lot more wrong than right (and I've been saying this on the board pretty consistently since around that time). Now, after three seasons, I think it's clear he's presiding over an absolute shambles, and that given he and his executive team are the constant in all this, the only rational explanation is that it's their fault. They've set the culture of the club as a wannabe Chelsea/Man City, but they forget those clubs are run ruthlessly and professionally from top to bottom; being a big club is about a lot more than having a few famous faces around the place. We're a cut and shut job, not a sports car.

The ground announcement proved his main interest in QPR was as anchor tenants for a big commercial development; and he couldn't even handle that properly. The way that's turned into a farce with Car Giant — who are justifiably playing tough, so far as I can see — speaks volumes about the club's leadership, as does the on-off-on Warren Farm business.

It embarrasses me to hear people singing his name. To be honest, it would embarrass me to hear any chairman's name being sung: football club owners are ALWAYS in it for their own benefit. Usually that means the club succeeding, too, but it's for them, not the club. We are the club, not Fernandes. We were here before he came, and we'll be here long after he goes.

And we're at the point where I wish he would, except I fear it would mean the financial collapse of the club. He's got us into such incredible debt, combining it with such woeful performance on the pitch, that I can't imagine who would take it off his hands except an asset stripper buying on the cheap. We're lumbered with this self aggrandising rank amateur.

QPR is a disgrace.

Hoddle's not had long has he? But I presume the general malaise that we see in the players is also there amongst the coaching staff, that seems only logical.

How do we know that Hoddle and Steve Black, even Bond and Jordan and gawd knows who else aren't all trying to do the right thing, but none of it is working for whatever reason. Given his attitude I doubt Harry is helping, but it might be as simple as too many voices, wrong chemistry, no clear direction because Harry really can't be bothered any more. You can add as many Hoddles and Blacks as you like to a situation like that, just like you can have an apparently plausible plan to play 3-5-2 or get in good players, nothing will work until you sort out the underlying problem.

All Fernandes has done so far really, other than get us a long way up financial sh*t creek it seems (further than we were before even) and lumber us with Hughes and Redknapp, is to sack the only man who in recent years has managed to overcome the evident problems of the club and bring us some success.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 22:41 - Oct 8 with 5946 viewsdaveB

excellent post as ever from Clive. The off the pitch stuff like the lower loft (The letter sent out is cringeworthy) new stadium and training ground has been poorly done so far and doesn't show the board in a good light, the lower loft is going to drive a lot more people away than attract fans but thats probably for another thread.

For me what the club badly needs is a philosophy that goes right through the club. First thing understand what the club is and have sensible ambitions. Who are we and what do we want to be. I've supported this club for 30 odd years now, watch them home and away and I've not got a bloody clue who we are trying to be at the moment.

Fernandes talks about being a club developing our own players and building slowly over time, great if thats the plan but if so don't fill the team with loan players and big name signings as the vision doesn't match what is happening. The opportunity to build etc went down the toilet last year when we went for instant promotion which was fine as it worked but was always going to leave us facing a right fight to stay up this season.

Thats why I think Ferdinand coming in could be a really exciting moment. Now Les may end up being just a figurehead to shake peoples hands and have photos done with fans but this is a man who has gone out and spent his own time and money learning and working towards the role he now has, he has done coaching to learn that side of it but has made it clear he sees himself in this director of football style role. He knows the club most f us grew up with and understands how it was succsessful before. Now if he can come up with a vision of what QPR are going to be and get the people in to implement that then the future could be bright.

You get in people who buy into his plan, who buy into the club and work it through all levels of the club, get QPR men in like Bardsley, Gallen, bring back Bircham push Clint Hill and Ale Faurlin to coach the kids and offer them a career path when they retire. You create a staff behind the scenes and on the training pitch that eat, sleep, drink Queens Park Rangers they love the club and care about it, not just another job to them. Now with Les at the club we have a voice in the boardroom who knows football and knows QPR, as I say this could be a major step forward.

Once thats in place and you know what we want to be the rest follows. You look at our first team can anyone tell me what a QPR side should play like? It's different with every manager and has been for a long time now, no direction from above to say this is who we are. Obvious example but look at clubs like Swansea and West Brom. They have a way of playing right through the club. When one manager goes they know the type of manager they want to fit the style of the club. When a star player leaves they know the type of player they want, not just anyone and worry how they fit in later they want x,y,z and go and get them It won't always work but it's a very good place to start.

Now we could do all of that and still be relegated but I think long term just doing a few of these things would serve us so well and help us become more than a club to pity and mock which is what we are at the moment.

As Clive says sacking redknapp might work but for me that won't fix the problems long term, the only hope of that lies with Ferdinand being given the power and opportunity to make a real difference and of course relies on him doing a bloody good job. No pressure Les
what has hoddle brought to the table? on 07:07 - Oct 9 with 5793 viewsPunteR

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 22:41 - Oct 8 by daveB

excellent post as ever from Clive. The off the pitch stuff like the lower loft (The letter sent out is cringeworthy) new stadium and training ground has been poorly done so far and doesn't show the board in a good light, the lower loft is going to drive a lot more people away than attract fans but thats probably for another thread.

For me what the club badly needs is a philosophy that goes right through the club. First thing understand what the club is and have sensible ambitions. Who are we and what do we want to be. I've supported this club for 30 odd years now, watch them home and away and I've not got a bloody clue who we are trying to be at the moment.

Fernandes talks about being a club developing our own players and building slowly over time, great if thats the plan but if so don't fill the team with loan players and big name signings as the vision doesn't match what is happening. The opportunity to build etc went down the toilet last year when we went for instant promotion which was fine as it worked but was always going to leave us facing a right fight to stay up this season.

Thats why I think Ferdinand coming in could be a really exciting moment. Now Les may end up being just a figurehead to shake peoples hands and have photos done with fans but this is a man who has gone out and spent his own time and money learning and working towards the role he now has, he has done coaching to learn that side of it but has made it clear he sees himself in this director of football style role. He knows the club most f us grew up with and understands how it was succsessful before. Now if he can come up with a vision of what QPR are going to be and get the people in to implement that then the future could be bright.

You get in people who buy into his plan, who buy into the club and work it through all levels of the club, get QPR men in like Bardsley, Gallen, bring back Bircham push Clint Hill and Ale Faurlin to coach the kids and offer them a career path when they retire. You create a staff behind the scenes and on the training pitch that eat, sleep, drink Queens Park Rangers they love the club and care about it, not just another job to them. Now with Les at the club we have a voice in the boardroom who knows football and knows QPR, as I say this could be a major step forward.

Once thats in place and you know what we want to be the rest follows. You look at our first team can anyone tell me what a QPR side should play like? It's different with every manager and has been for a long time now, no direction from above to say this is who we are. Obvious example but look at clubs like Swansea and West Brom. They have a way of playing right through the club. When one manager goes they know the type of manager they want to fit the style of the club. When a star player leaves they know the type of player they want, not just anyone and worry how they fit in later they want x,y,z and go and get them It won't always work but it's a very good place to start.

Now we could do all of that and still be relegated but I think long term just doing a few of these things would serve us so well and help us become more than a club to pity and mock which is what we are at the moment.

As Clive says sacking redknapp might work but for me that won't fix the problems long term, the only hope of that lies with Ferdinand being given the power and opportunity to make a real difference and of course relies on him doing a bloody good job. No pressure Les

Totally agree. I think the new training ground is a good start

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

what has hoddle brought to the table? on 12:08 - Oct 9 with 5700 viewsPinnerPaul

Well said, its what I've been trying to say the last few days.

Another manager, another set of new players is not going to solve anything in the medium term.

Maybe no one looks beyond the current season anymore?

As you say ,certainly, despite the fine words, TF doesn't.

Only glimmer of light is appointment of Les F , which I presume you agree IS a step in the right direction, albeit a small one?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024