Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Ages You? 01:04 - Oct 10 with 15545 viewsade_qpr

One perhaps for the slightly older than a teenager among us.
Got to thinking after the Lennon thread what makes you think about your age or changes in your life that make you stop and think of how your life has changed? (53 now)

Being in Australia some of my examples wouldn't resonate to many eg buildings torn down or 2 companies I have worked for no longer exist.
Like Lennon many entertainers have passed away ie music (B.B. King) , tv (George Cole) , films ( Leonard Nimoy) or even seeing old movies, tv shows, music heard or books read that may spark old memories.
Technology is another big one. I still have a lot of cassettes I use to play in my dad's old car that I brought from the estate til the player recently died. Yes some records then cd's and now downloads of music. Old red telephone boxes here in Oz now onto Mobile phones (my first was a brick back in the 90's that I won from a radio station) TV's to computer games (did laugh when I saw Pixels with all the old arcade games)
Transport - the types of cars people have had over the years (had a panel van back in the 80/90's and still wish I had it, drive in theatres anyone? )
Sporting teams that no longer exist?
I'm certain there are many more examples others will have.
Happy reminiscing.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

What Ages You? on 01:13 - Oct 10 with 8389 viewsSimonJames

What gets me thinking is, every time I discover a new unexplained aching bit of my body.

...and the fact that John Lydon is almost 60.

100% of people who drink water will die.

What Ages You? on 01:22 - Oct 10 with 8380 viewsbosh67

Similar sentiments here, Ade. 48 now. I feel I am just maturing into my Klopp style management at QPR phase. Front foot, attacking football. Just need my coaching badges, 10 years of management at lower levels and some talent!

The older I get the more retro I become. Up this late putting up my 90s style dance tracks under my alter ego Revolution9 on Soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/simon-weitzman/revolution9

Strange really because I retro back to Yellow and Daft Punk, even though I am much more Beatles, Stones, Depeche Mode, Nirvana etc at heart.

TV was always TOTP, Citizen Smith and Taxi. Films Star Wars and The Exorcist. Cars Audi 100 and Mini 1275GT.

Atari, every time!

Good thread Ade.

PS - I remember when John Goodman was fat. Blimey he appears to have lost two John Goodman's recently.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 1:26]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What Ages You? on 01:23 - Oct 10 with 8383 viewsJAPRANGERS

Just try to enjoy your life as much as you can. Whatever you do, whoever you are, you are going to be dead in the near future. And all the things you worry about mean absolutely nothing. Even CR's management...........
What Ages You? on 01:27 - Oct 10 with 8372 viewsbosh67

What Ages You? on 01:23 - Oct 10 by JAPRANGERS

Just try to enjoy your life as much as you can. Whatever you do, whoever you are, you are going to be dead in the near future. And all the things you worry about mean absolutely nothing. Even CR's management...........

True. The pressures we put ourselves under in life are completely artificial.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What Ages You? on 02:02 - Oct 10 with 8360 viewsade_qpr

What Ages You? on 01:23 - Oct 10 by JAPRANGERS

Very true. Hopefully not about to die just wondering about how the world has changed.

What Ages You? on 02:05 - Oct 10 with 8357 viewsade_qpr

What Ages You? on 01:13 - Oct 10 by SimonJames

What gets me thinking is, every time I discover a new unexplained aching bit of my body.

...and the fact that John Lydon is almost 60.

Aching bit of body.
Now that's a whole new thread with a War and Peace intro

What Ages You? on 08:04 - Oct 10 with 8253 viewsscot1963

when you lot start a MILF thread or say this or that woman is getting on but they are not bad for their age and the majority are younger than me, the appearance of a new wrinkle, and also the slow onset of the menopause - the thoughts of tena lady and a stannah stair lift are brought into focus
What Ages You? on 08:08 - Oct 10 with 8246 viewsvegasranger

Cr@p like we have a new ethos. Building for the future , then buy two old lags for full backs. Talk about promoting youth players when you know they would struggle to get a game playing for Dagenham.
Login to get fewer ads

What Ages You? on 08:20 - Oct 10 with 8231 viewsexiled_dictator

everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

what ages me? technology. every bleedin' day, there's something new to mess up my mind.
my dad still listens to music on an 8-track!! but it still sounds good.

i remember shortly after arriving here, my brother bought a separate system, amplifier, radio, twin tape deck, graphic equaliser and turntable, from laskys in edgware road. now his son uses it, because it's retro and cool. plus, it still plays good music and vinyl (apparently, it's coming back big).

the other thing that has aged me is my kids. my eldest now drives for fukc's sake!!! when did that happen? and it's funny to hear the older ones teach the younger ones the exact same stuff and projects they did before. i mean, how many times can you write henry VIII story?

i believe the non-stop work keeps me going, builds momentum. but technology and kids definitely age me.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

What Ages You? on 08:36 - Oct 10 with 8200 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Fvck me it's like last of the summer wine.
What Ages You? on 08:42 - Oct 10 with 8192 viewsdistortR

What Ages You? on 08:36 - Oct 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

Fvck me it's like last of the summer wine.

I'm working on my mid-life crisis opus which will turn this thread into last of the summer whine.

Regrets, I have a few, and i'm going to list them all.
What Ages You? on 08:45 - Oct 10 with 8188 views2Thomas2Bowles

What ages me... the fecking mirror, if we did not have mirrors I'd still be 23...

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

What Ages You? on 09:30 - Oct 10 with 8137 viewsPunteR

Kids.

I wouldn't swap them for going back to my youth in a million years though.

As the Dictator said ,technology makes me feel old. I just cant get my head around it.
Give me a pair of Technics any a slab of vinyl any day over downloads,laptops,CDJs.

Football.
I cant run around the pitch as I used to which is frustrating.
I'm at that tipping point of old age ,40 next year. So its either embrace it or get my pipe n slippers.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What Ages You? on 09:30 - Oct 10 with 8136 viewsTheBlob

What Ages You? on 08:45 - Oct 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

What ages me... the fecking mirror, if we did not have mirrors I'd still be 23...

Amen to that,although some days I look like a cross between Pat Pending/Gerard Depardieu and an ageing beach bum.
66,Scotty keeps me young . What ages me the most are the newspapers, the increasingly pathetic glorification of celebrity culture and the continuing barbarisms of the human condition.

And Sue Perkins.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

What Ages You? on 09:45 - Oct 10 with 8126 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Good thread
I'm 51 now but somehow think I'm not really that old now. Having teenage boys helps. Things like music and football can be discussed with people of all ages although the number of eras you remember does date you a bit!
What Ages You? on 10:16 - Oct 10 with 8088 viewsDiscodroids

48 next month but ive still got the old rouges smile...

women love it, men just want to be friends with it . Ive got it all really Even if i do say so myself.

[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 10:29]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

What Ages You? on 11:09 - Oct 10 with 8040 viewspeejaybee

What Ages You? on 10:16 - Oct 10 by Discodroids

48 next month but ive still got the old rouges smile...

women love it, men just want to be friends with it . Ive got it all really Even if i do say so myself.

[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 10:29]

Now he was a Daddy.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

What Ages You? on 11:28 - Oct 10 with 8013 viewsfrancisbowles

These bloody international breaks, when we have nothing new to read, post or talk about and end up having threads reminding me how old I am!
What Ages You? on 11:34 - Oct 10 with 8007 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Negativity, in any shape or form.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What Ages You? on 11:47 - Oct 10 with 7985 viewsSomersetHoops

I'm older than any age yet declared, but have two teenage daughters who keep me young at heart. I remember going to see Hendrix, Cream, Geno Washington, The Stones before they made it big and loads of good live bands few would have heard of. Now I updated my musical support to good bands that can do it live and arguing with my daughters about who is good reminds me of similar arguments with my mates when I was their age. as far as QPR are concerned I remember some good Football played in the lower divisions and a gradual rise, but we didn't seem to be so focused on Division One and match of the day played games from all the FL divisions. I think today's focus on the Premiership above all else is killing the game as I knew it.

Who's Next?

What Ages You? on 12:08 - Oct 10 with 7961 viewsdistortR

What Ages You? on 11:34 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Negativity, in any shape or form.

I take that as a personal attack.
What Ages You? on 12:28 - Oct 10 with 7928 viewspomanjou

I'm 77.

Apart from QPR I play snooker, try and play tennis twice a week (down from three times last year), take a walk must days and like to compete with the contestants on 'The Chase' weekdays. I have a son and family in Wales and another in Spain which take up quite a lot of time add in vists to oncologists, physio's and suchlike and the days are full. Not one for music much at home but like to get down the 606 club, Ronnies, and suchlike for live music. Getting old is not a lot of fun but you can make the best of it by keeping body and mind active. For all things high or low tech I defer to my 18 year old eldest grandson.

Things have changed massively since I was a boy when there was no telly, no fridge, no central heating, no phone in the house, an outside loo etc etc.

Life is good.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

What Ages You? on 12:41 - Oct 10 with 7916 viewsbarabajagal

What ages me?

My school, my sixth form and University halls of residence have all been knocked down.
In Brighton, decent pubs being turned into bleeding flats
My cousin's baby girl being 17
Ale reaching £4 a pint... For fermented hops?
Bloody receding hair line, that just really isn't fair
Hangovers are worse
Gout (any other sufferers here?)
Looking at Angus Young, gosh has he aged!
Trying to buy T-shirts in H&M and hating them all. I do not live in the Bronx.

It's like an episode of the likely lads
What Ages You? on 14:14 - Oct 10 with 7867 viewsW14Hoop

What Ages You? on 08:20 - Oct 10 by exiled_dictator

everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

what ages me? technology. every bleedin' day, there's something new to mess up my mind.
my dad still listens to music on an 8-track!! but it still sounds good.

i remember shortly after arriving here, my brother bought a separate system, amplifier, radio, twin tape deck, graphic equaliser and turntable, from laskys in edgware road. now his son uses it, because it's retro and cool. plus, it still plays good music and vinyl (apparently, it's coming back big).

the other thing that has aged me is my kids. my eldest now drives for fukc's sake!!! when did that happen? and it's funny to hear the older ones teach the younger ones the exact same stuff and projects they did before. i mean, how many times can you write henry VIII story?

i believe the non-stop work keeps me going, builds momentum. but technology and kids definitely age me.

Laskys, I remember that right there- Thats how i know im old.

Do they still exist?
What Ages You? on 14:59 - Oct 10 with 7823 viewsheadhoops

nice thread -
renting your TV from radio rentals
nicking your dads tins of mackeson - skol
bazooka joe bubblegum
im 50+ and grey so the bonus is Im starting to just push to the front of any queue.

if this is a throwback to the last of the summer wine does that mean one of us is trying to bang Nora Batty?

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024