Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ridiculous. 15:54 - Nov 1 with 35225 viewsroccydaleian

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/727364/Fifa-ban-England-football-Scotland-teams
Ridiculous. on 16:18 - Nov 1 with 33592 viewsSuddenLad

The ban is being reconsidered by FIFA after requests from all the home FA's. England have also said that they are prepared to defy the ban but are seeking details about possible sanctions if they do.

If FIFA are to impose a fine, then England have more or less, said "OK, we'll pay it". If, however, they are theeatened with a points deduction, then they will adhere to the rule, but request that they be allowed to wear black armbands, with a poppy motif, instead of a woven emblem on the shirt.

Seems ridiculous to be sanctioned simply for respecting those who gave their lives in the cause of freedom. How ironic that FIFA should seek to punish those that do.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2016 16:19]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ridiculous. on 16:39 - Nov 1 with 33550 viewsNigeriamark

Ridiculous. on 16:18 - Nov 1 by SuddenLad

The ban is being reconsidered by FIFA after requests from all the home FA's. England have also said that they are prepared to defy the ban but are seeking details about possible sanctions if they do.

If FIFA are to impose a fine, then England have more or less, said "OK, we'll pay it". If, however, they are theeatened with a points deduction, then they will adhere to the rule, but request that they be allowed to wear black armbands, with a poppy motif, instead of a woven emblem on the shirt.

Seems ridiculous to be sanctioned simply for respecting those who gave their lives in the cause of freedom. How ironic that FIFA should seek to punish those that do.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2016 16:19]

and we are asking FIFA for permission to have 2 minutes silence and play the last post - Really ??? FFS
Ridiculous. on 17:04 - Nov 1 with 33507 viewsKenBoon

FIFA cannot win here. It's right that politics and political symbols are banned from Football. Politics should be kept away from the game. So a blanket ban makes sense. However there will always be certain symbols that should be given a pass. A Poppy is one of those.

The counter-argument here is that England rarely bothered with Poppies in the past. Really isn't this The FA & Sportswear companies cashing in on the Poppy appeal?
Ridiculous. on 17:37 - Nov 1 with 33445 viewsroccydaleian

Ridiculous. on 17:04 - Nov 1 by KenBoon

FIFA cannot win here. It's right that politics and political symbols are banned from Football. Politics should be kept away from the game. So a blanket ban makes sense. However there will always be certain symbols that should be given a pass. A Poppy is one of those.

The counter-argument here is that England rarely bothered with Poppies in the past. Really isn't this The FA & Sportswear companies cashing in on the Poppy appeal?

I suppose it's how often England play fixtures so near Remembrance Day, also can't see the sportswear companies cashing in on this as I've never seen replica shirts sold with poppies on.

Banned the armbands now as well. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37832115
Ridiculous. on 17:41 - Nov 1 with 33434 viewsKenBoon

Ridiculous. on 17:37 - Nov 1 by roccydaleian

I suppose it's how often England play fixtures so near Remembrance Day, also can't see the sportswear companies cashing in on this as I've never seen replica shirts sold with poppies on.

Banned the armbands now as well. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37832115

I recall the last time this happened some sportswear companies put it on Boots.
Ridiculous. on 17:54 - Nov 1 with 33397 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Politics or not.......Just who is offended by wearing a poppy?
Ridiculous. on 18:44 - Nov 1 with 33331 views442Dale

Also worth noting that FIFA are saying Scotland have to wear their pink away kit as their home shirt has white sleeves. Idiots. The Scots have alternative navy shorts which would have avoided a clash, yet such forward thinking is ignored.

They should withdraw from the tournament... well, if they hadn't already.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ridiculous. on 19:04 - Nov 1 with 33259 viewselectricblue

I Really feel that FIFA are showing their ignorence on this.....

When two countries whos sons, brothers and fathers went to serve their country in a war and many never returned home its only right that in any shape or form respect is ahown and paid...
Its not about money etc its about coming together....
FIFA need to take a step backwards about this and stop thinking political....

Plus the FAs should show some balls and tell FIFA that each squad members shirt will have a poppy printed in on it.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Ridiculous. on 20:09 - Nov 1 with 33167 views49thseason

The story of the Footballers’ Battalion:
Discussions between the FA and the War Office led to the formation of the Footballer’s Battalion, 17th Middlesex Regiment, on 14 December 1914 at Fulham Town Hall.

It was hoped that the unit would encourage young men to enlist and prove to the country that football was a significant contributor to the war effort.

Unlike cricket and rugby, football didn’t cease with immediate effect when the First World War broke out. This caused controversy but, by the spring of 1915, around 200 professional players with connections to more than 60 present-day Premier League and Football League clubs had enlisted.

Alongside them were amateur players, club staff, match officials and football fans eager to serve alongside players like Chelsea’s Vivian Woodward and Northampton’s Walter Tull. The professional game was suspended after the close of the 2014/15 season.

Some of the first players to enlist played for clubs such as Arsenal, Bradford City, Brighton & Hove Albion, Chelsea, Clapton Orient, Croyden Common, Crystal Palace, Luton Town, Southend United, Tottenham Hotspur and Watford.

Having first experienced life in the trenches in November 1915 in Loos, the Battalion continued to play as much football as possible. They responded to challenges from other units as well as competing and winning the Divisional Cup Final on 11 April 1916 at Hersin.

Despite its proud record on the Somme battlefield in 1916, the Footballers’ Battalion was disbanded in February 1918 when the remaining officers were sent to serve in other units. By the end of the war in 1918, it is believed that around 900 of the 4,500 soldiers to have enlisted or served with the Footballers’ Battalion had lost their lives during the effort.

The Footballers’ Battalion is remembered today with a memorial in the village of Longueval, just outside Delville Wood, featuring the words of Colonel Henry Fenwick:
"I knew nothing of professional footballers when I took this battalion. But I have learnt to value them. I would go anywhere with such men. Their esprit de corps was amazing. This feeling was mainly due to football — the link of fellowship which bound them together. Football has a wonder grip on these men and on the Army generally"

https://www.forclubandcountry.org.uk/footballers-battalion

It's time to tell FIFA a few home truths about what to do with their rules and regulations. But for these lads, they would all be speaking German. there were 85,000 men killed or wounded on the first day of the Battle of the Somme - they would be disgusted to think we didn't have the guts to stand up to petty bureaucracy.
Ridiculous. on 22:02 - Nov 1 with 33083 viewsKenBoon

Ridiculous. on 20:09 - Nov 1 by 49thseason

The story of the Footballers’ Battalion:
Discussions between the FA and the War Office led to the formation of the Footballer’s Battalion, 17th Middlesex Regiment, on 14 December 1914 at Fulham Town Hall.

It was hoped that the unit would encourage young men to enlist and prove to the country that football was a significant contributor to the war effort.

Unlike cricket and rugby, football didn’t cease with immediate effect when the First World War broke out. This caused controversy but, by the spring of 1915, around 200 professional players with connections to more than 60 present-day Premier League and Football League clubs had enlisted.

Alongside them were amateur players, club staff, match officials and football fans eager to serve alongside players like Chelsea’s Vivian Woodward and Northampton’s Walter Tull. The professional game was suspended after the close of the 2014/15 season.

Some of the first players to enlist played for clubs such as Arsenal, Bradford City, Brighton & Hove Albion, Chelsea, Clapton Orient, Croyden Common, Crystal Palace, Luton Town, Southend United, Tottenham Hotspur and Watford.

Having first experienced life in the trenches in November 1915 in Loos, the Battalion continued to play as much football as possible. They responded to challenges from other units as well as competing and winning the Divisional Cup Final on 11 April 1916 at Hersin.

Despite its proud record on the Somme battlefield in 1916, the Footballers’ Battalion was disbanded in February 1918 when the remaining officers were sent to serve in other units. By the end of the war in 1918, it is believed that around 900 of the 4,500 soldiers to have enlisted or served with the Footballers’ Battalion had lost their lives during the effort.

The Footballers’ Battalion is remembered today with a memorial in the village of Longueval, just outside Delville Wood, featuring the words of Colonel Henry Fenwick:
"I knew nothing of professional footballers when I took this battalion. But I have learnt to value them. I would go anywhere with such men. Their esprit de corps was amazing. This feeling was mainly due to football — the link of fellowship which bound them together. Football has a wonder grip on these men and on the Army generally"

https://www.forclubandcountry.org.uk/footballers-battalion

It's time to tell FIFA a few home truths about what to do with their rules and regulations. But for these lads, they would all be speaking German. there were 85,000 men killed or wounded on the first day of the Battle of the Somme - they would be disgusted to think we didn't have the guts to stand up to petty bureaucracy.

This just backs up the decision that it's political and political things are banned.
Ridiculous. on 22:14 - Nov 1 with 33062 viewsAtThePeake

Ridiculous. on 17:54 - Nov 1 by Yorkshire_Dale

[Post edited 1 Nov 2016 22:14]

Tangled up in blue.

Ridiculous. on 22:30 - Nov 1 with 33036 viewsTipperaryDale

What would happen if the Croatia national team wanted to wear a symbol which glorified their soldiers in the Balkan wars, and had to play Serbia, for instance. Politics is quite rightly out of football - keep it that way.
Ridiculous. on 22:35 - Nov 1 with 33028 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Ridiculous. on 22:14 - Nov 1 by AtThePeake

[Post edited 1 Nov 2016 22:14]

Seems entrirely reasonable to me.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Ridiculous. on 22:53 - Nov 1 with 32999 viewsroccydaleian

Ridiculous. on 22:30 - Nov 1 by TipperaryDale

What would happen if the Croatia national team wanted to wear a symbol which glorified their soldiers in the Balkan wars, and had to play Serbia, for instance. Politics is quite rightly out of football - keep it that way.

The Poppy is to remember the people who have died in the wars and not to glorify anything. Totally different IMO.
Ridiculous. on 22:56 - Nov 1 with 32992 viewsroccydaleian

Ridiculous. on 22:35 - Nov 1 by BigDaveMyCock

Seems entrirely reasonable to me.

Fair enough, but on this occasion I think the players on both teams should have a choice.
Ridiculous. on 06:49 - Nov 2 with 32892 viewsBallastBoy

You'd be surprised... some people are offended by their own shadows…….

Personally, if they wear poppies or not, as am former airman, I’m not particularly bothered.
Ridiculous. on 07:02 - Nov 2 with 32886 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Ridiculous. on 22:56 - Nov 1 by roccydaleian

Fair enough, but on this occasion I think the players on both teams should have a choice.

I agree. It's only one way of commemorating those who have made the ultimate sacrifice it's not 'the' way. People seem to want to be seen to be doing things these days. What's wrong with quiet reflection, cheap plastic flower or not.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 7:04]

Ridiculous. on 09:56 - Nov 2 with 32785 viewsTipperaryDale

Ridiculous. on 22:53 - Nov 1 by roccydaleian

The Poppy is to remember the people who have died in the wars and not to glorify anything. Totally different IMO.

It is only to remember those in the British services who have died, and indeed glorifies their role in wars. There are two sides to every story. Now, we might think the British services are beyond reproach, but should we really bring politics into football and risk the ill will of other countries for the sake of cheap virtue signalling?
Ridiculous. on 10:28 - Nov 2 with 32761 viewsD_Alien

Ridiculous. on 09:56 - Nov 2 by TipperaryDale

It is only to remember those in the British services who have died, and indeed glorifies their role in wars. There are two sides to every story. Now, we might think the British services are beyond reproach, but should we really bring politics into football and risk the ill will of other countries for the sake of cheap virtue signalling?

Who do you mean by "we" in "we might think the British services are beyond reproach" ?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ridiculous. on 11:21 - Nov 2 with 32693 viewsParkinsGimp

Unfortunately quite a few misguided individuals . As for that clown McClean, he seems happy to earn a crust and be paid by sterling with a picture of the Queen . Perhaps he should consider plying his trade somewhere else where he is not offended by the country's armed forces or the realm or whoever or whatever he wants to be offended by.
Ridiculous. on 12:40 - Nov 2 with 32617 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Ridiculous. on 11:21 - Nov 2 by ParkinsGimp

Unfortunately quite a few misguided individuals . As for that clown McClean, he seems happy to earn a crust and be paid by sterling with a picture of the Queen . Perhaps he should consider plying his trade somewhere else where he is not offended by the country's armed forces or the realm or whoever or whatever he wants to be offended by.

The wearing of the poppy is to supposedly commemorate those who have lost their lives in the British forces. It is not to support or pledge an allegiance to the Queen. Also, it's not HER money he is earning. It is you who is the clown because you are using the poppy and what it represents to suit your own allegiances. No wonder people have reservations these days about wearing one.

Ridiculous. on 12:48 - Nov 2 with 32593 viewsrod_leach

Ridiculous. on 11:21 - Nov 2 by ParkinsGimp

Do you know anything of the recent history of Northern Ireland?
I'm not bothered either way about who wears or doesn't wear a poppy.
It wasn't an issue when I was growing up. Seems to have become a thing since the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, which suggests there is a political aspect to it.
Ridiculous. on 16:15 - Nov 2 with 32482 viewsAtThePeake

I don't necessarily agree with this particular article, but another viewpoint:

https://stavvers.wordpress.com/2015/11/04/i-dont-wear-poppies-and-this-image-per

Tangled up in blue.

Ridiculous. on 21:56 - Nov 2 with 32354 viewsEllGazzell

Ridiculous. on 12:40 - Nov 2 by BigDaveMyCock

The wearing of the poppy is to supposedly commemorate those who have lost their lives in the British forces. It is not to support or pledge an allegiance to the Queen. Also, it's not HER money he is earning. It is you who is the clown because you are using the poppy and what it represents to suit your own allegiances. No wonder people have reservations these days about wearing one.

Bang on the money there Dave!

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Ridiculous. on 22:07 - Nov 2 with 32332 viewsnordenblue

Well done the FA tell FIFA where they can stick their ideas.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-02/fa-to-defy-fifa-with-england-set-to-wear-popp
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024